If true Janicek is limited tonight, how do compete inside?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

If true Janicek is limited tonight, how do compete inside?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2016, 10:17 am

Dargenton, Barnaba, and Taylor cannot handle the byu bigs between the 3 of them. Best chance is to get Mika in foul trouble, but I don't see him needing to foul those 3 bigs to keep them in check. Any chance we pull Stall's redshirt?

dyedblue

Re: If true Janicek is limited tonight, how do compete insid

Post by dyedblue » November 30th, 2016, 10:22 am

Pull a red shirt for 1 player having good poisoning?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2016, 10:37 am

dyedblue wrote:Pull a red shirt for 1 player having good poisoning?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
After the way out posts played in Cancun, and seeing that Duryea doesn't really want to rely on Taylor at all, I think we need another big who plays like a big. We're basically covering 2 positions with a 3 1/2 player rotation right now. Not sure if alternating between the 4 and the 5 has contributed to Barnaba's uncertainty on the court, but that guy looks lost especially on defense.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » November 30th, 2016, 11:28 am

If Mika is able to log significant minutes tonight he's going to eat us alive no matter who is down there. Stall might be big and physical but he would still be a freshman going up against one of the better big men we'll see all year in his first college game. I hardly see that as a recipe for success, especially for Stall's confidence.

We'll need to play team ball. Everyone will have to help on defense, crash the boards, and scramble for loose balls. I think this is our only chance to be successful against the better teams we'll be facing this year anyway. The times that we've been able to accomplish this style of play, albeit against lesser competition, we've looked really good. I think the limited success we had against Purdue and Texas Tech was when we played our style. When they took us out of our game, credit to them, we went stagnant on offense. We can't have that against BYU. We need to at least score in the 90s to win.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 30th, 2016, 12:12 pm

The BYU game has less of a bearing for the season than all of our conference games. Yes, it's hugely important to us as fans, but IMO doesn't warrant us changing the redshirt status of anyone. Stall would not be a difference maker, anyway. Janicek's limitations being the case, we'll need to double down on Mika and risk one of BYU's outside shooters getting their shots. If they fall, we lose. If they don't it's game on.

Our guards are going to have to be much more aggressive and productive than they were in Cancun. Jalen will need to have at least a "normal" night of production and another X-factor player will need to step up and provide unexpected production. Pearre? Taylor? Barnaba?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 30th, 2016, 1:29 pm

we wouldn't notice if Janicek was missing on the defensive side, even if we were playing with 4. On offense, we might notice some of the possessions.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Dargenton, Barnaba, and Taylor cannot handle the byu bigs between the 3 of them. Best chance is to get Mika in foul trouble, but I don't see him needing to foul those 3 bigs to keep them in check. Any chance we pull Stall's redshirt?
I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't mind.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2016, 1:51 pm

We don't. We're doomed.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 30th, 2016, 2:36 pm

I don't see a drop off in defense with Janicek being out. We are outmanned anyway you slice it. And I doubt there will be a game all year where BYU will be more focused after their embarrassing loss to UVU.

providencealum

Post by providencealum » November 30th, 2016, 3:02 pm

I would like to see small ball lineup with Jalen at the 5. See if we can draw Mika out and get a couple fouls on him. If BYU decides to go zone we have the shooters that could break it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 30th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Didn't Medlin have a great game as a freshman against BYU. I thought it was his first game with significant minutes. Pull the shirt.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » November 30th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Preston actually played the first 17 games of that season. The BYU game was his second-lowest minutes total of the first five games and fifth-lowest of the whole season. He just had a helluva game because he was a helluva player who stepped up.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 30th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Thanks for reminding me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic