Whatever happened with.........

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 30th, 2016, 9:17 pm

.......McEwen leaving after the first 2 years to the NBA?
.......Duryea a good recruiter?
.......We finally have some good bigs?
.......Janicek the X Factor?

They all seem so far away now.

Agzrule

Re: Whatever happened with.........

Post by Agzrule » November 30th, 2016, 9:22 pm

we are not taking advantage of mcewens skills
I think Duryea is doing an excellent job recruiting
good? average, which is 100% better than last year
Janicek is solid, I am very pleased with his play

Chupamedia

Re: Whatever happened.........

Post by Chupamedia » November 30th, 2016, 9:23 pm

This team will take some time, but they are much improved from last year. Also tonight I saw some good plays called, well timed time outs and good rotation of players. Tim is improving as well. I don't like that he tells the team "try to find a way to rebound" in timeouts instead of being specific about how to do so when being schooled, but I feel like I can be patient and see some improvement. McEwen needs to gain some confidence or something and we need much more off the bench (Merrill). But we aren't too far from a good team. Need more in the post for sure though

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 30th, 2016, 9:25 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:.......McEwen leaving after the first 2 years to the NBA?

You forgot:
* Barnaba the 3-point shooting big
* Jalen has bulked up and will now create big mismatches at the 3
* top 3 MWC team
* we go 10 deep without losing anything

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 30th, 2016, 9:28 pm

I wish I had your optimism. Much improved talent but something isn't clicking. Offensive droughts just like last year. What a pathetic showing of pride and will to compete we were dominated in the boards. What I'm most worried and upset about overall with football and basketball besides losing it's how soft we have become. No chip on our shoulder just nice facilities and jerseys

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 30th, 2016, 9:30 pm

utaggies wrote:

You forgot:
* top 3 MWC team
This game sucked, but there is a ton of potential for this team, stew couldnt even beat byu at vivnt with the homecourt type reffing and environment. Dargenton did not play much, he must still be under the weather, overall it seemed the starters minutes were down.

We need to win out in OOC play, if we can do that I like our chances in league play

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 30th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Jalen should be embarrassed. Byu puts a 6'4 guard on him for most of the night and Jalen camps out at the 3 point line. Any team that lets an opponent rebound offensively like byu did should be embarrassed. Out hustled and out worked by BYU. Not a proud night to be an Aggie. Props to rector for the defense he played on "the biggest douche bag to ever play at BYU" and that's some rarified air. Wanted Jalen to nut up sooooooo bad. It just ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 30th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Losing to the zoobies suck, but step away from the ledge, or jump if you want. They had some beak nosed nobody and the bearded wonder save their day. Rebounding was pathetic , but the whiny red head and hothead slugger were shutdown.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 30th, 2016, 9:45 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:I wish I had your optimism. Much improved talent but something isn't clicking. Offensive droughts just like last year. What a pathetic showing of pride and will to compete we were dominated in the boards. What I'm most worried and upset about overall with football and basketball besides losing it's how soft we have become. No chip on our shoulder just nice facilities and jerseys
I agree - we do need to get tougher, we have lost that. We need another Tai and I don't think we have that personality on the team now. But I do think we can fix our lapses by league play. We still have a ways to go in the off season, we need a few more pieces, but his team has a lot of potential and I think we'll do well. I'm hoping for some big improvement from the young guards and Janicek. But I like the potential with him and Dargenton should be getting much more time. The biggest problem I see right now is Janicek and Ngor's ability to box out and either get the rebound or allow a wing to get there by limiting the other posts. I think that is very fixable and one of the best posts I've seen so that was the undersized Spencer Nelson. That gives me hope for this year. They key will be how quickly this team can learn. I do think the biggest weakness or risk is a lack of heart or toughness. We'll see if they give up early or if they dig deep and focus on getting better.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 30th, 2016, 9:54 pm

utaggies wrote:

You forgot:
* top 3 MWC team
I am trying to forget some of these. Having a 3-point shooting big (Barnaba), but he is not helping us win. He would help if he were a 3-point MAKING big! 0 for 3 tonight. I said nothing in my post about Jalen. He is a bright spot. Top 3 MWC team? Maybe another year...but not this year. Bigs can't rebound, and way too soft. 10 deep without losing anything? Except games against teams that lose to UVU, and blown out in Cancun.
I see some promise, but not enough for us to play in any postseason games. I think Kobe is the real deal, but his skills are not being used as they should. I just wished we would be tougher, especially inside.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 30th, 2016, 10:08 pm

To me it seemed liked that NBA three point line was messing with both teams.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 30th, 2016, 10:11 pm

bigblue wrote:To me it seemed liked that NBA three point line was messing with both teams.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I thought it messed with us. BYU is infamous for seeing a line and thinking it's where you shoot from. They'll jack it up from anywhere.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2016, 10:16 pm

WAAggie wrote:Losing to the zoobies suck, but step away from the ledge, or jump if you want. They had some beak nosed nobody and the bearded wonder save their day. Rebounding was pathetic , but the whiny red head and hothead slugger were shutdown.
That does make it sting less. We held them in check defensively but just couldn't rebound.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 1st, 2016, 12:27 am

This was a winnable game, the defense shut down the d bag guards, but our bigs looked very soft and the shooting was 41% tonight. Shooting like that and being bullied on the boards by them caused a win to go south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 1st, 2016, 10:27 am

FeartheFro wrote:Jalen should be embarrassed. Byu puts a 6'4 guard on him for most of the night and Jalen camps out at the 3 point line. Any team that lets an opponent rebound offensively like byu did should be embarrassed. Out hustled and out worked by BYU. Not a proud night to be an Aggie. Props to rector for the defense he played on "the biggest douche bag to ever play at BYU" and that's some rarified air. Wanted Jalen to nut up sooooooo bad. It just ain't gonna happen.

I think many people had high expectations for Moore based on his USU pedigree, being a local kid with HS success, etc. He's been a good player for USU but just couldn't quite turn the corner as the star many of us hoped he could. He would have been the missing complimentary piece to many of Stew's teams in the 2000s that needed that extra stretch player to compete against the highest level.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 1st, 2016, 10:41 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:I wish I had your optimism. Much improved talent but something isn't clicking. Offensive droughts just like last year. What a pathetic showing of pride and will to compete we were dominated in the boards. What I'm most worried and upset about overall with football and basketball besides losing it's how soft we have become. No chip on our shoulder just nice facilities and jerseys
This is not only the post of the day but with 2016 nearing its end this could be the post of the year. This post cuts across both venues which is really disconcerting that our athletes are so passive when the don the Aggie uniform. Sheer numbers alone would negate the idea that we are not recruiting kids with passion and fire there has to be some which then shifts the burden to two coaches who do not seem to know how to motivate their players to lay it all out there each and every minute of every game. The more years that I post here the more that I see just how wrong I am...I used to be all about athleticism if only we had quick athletic kids...well we have them in both basketball and football and quite frankly they immensely disappoint in contrast to the hard hat lunch buck work ethic kids the only ones that we could recruit and get to come to USU back in the day. Dust off Tai Wesley and the game even if we had lost would have looked very differently.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » December 1st, 2016, 11:40 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:Jalen should be embarrassed. Byu puts a 6'4 guard on him for most of the night and Jalen camps out at the 3 point line. Any team that lets an opponent rebound offensively like byu did should be embarrassed. Out hustled and out worked by BYU. Not a proud night to be an Aggie. Props to rector for the defense he played on "the biggest douche bag to ever play at BYU" and that's some rarified air. Wanted Jalen to nut up sooooooo bad. It just ain't gonna happen.

I think many people had high expectations for Moore based on his USU pedigree, being a local kid with HS success, etc. He's been a good player for USU but just couldn't quite turn the corner as the star many of us hoped he could. He would have been the missing complimentary piece to many of Stew's teams in the 2000s that needed that extra stretch player to compete against the highest level.
Yeah I think people saw Jalen as the centerpiece of our offense but that's just not who he is. In the X-Factor thread I put that if Jalen became the leader of the team and made that progress he would be the X-Factor. I haven't seen it. He's consistently been our best player but he's just not a guy that can carry a team offensively, defensively, or on the boards. Too bad.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » December 1st, 2016, 11:48 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
This is not only the post of the day but with 2016 nearing its end this could be the post of the year. This post cuts across both venues which is really disconcerting that our athletes are so passive when the don the Aggie uniform. Sheer numbers alone would negate the idea that we are not recruiting kids with passion and fire there has to be some which then shifts the burden to two coaches who do not seem to know how to motivate their players to lay it all out there each and every minute of every game. The more years that I post here the more that I see just how wrong I am...I used to be all about athleticism if only we had quick athletic kids...well we have them in both basketball and football and quite frankly they immensely disappoint in contrast to the hard hat lunch buck work ethic kids the only ones that we could recruit and get to come to USU back in the day. Dust off Tai Wesley and the game even if we had lost would have looked very differently.
Good points. Tai wasn't coached to be aggressive and tough. That's just who he was. Our coaches could get more out of our guys, but we don't have anyone who's naturally hard-nosed like that. We're athletic in some ways but we don't have a Jardine or Reed type player on this team. Dargenton isn't that guy as much as we wish he was. We don't have guy who can create his own shot and knock it down with regularity, either. We're a few pieces shy of a great team but if our guys step up and play to their potential and work together we'll be a good team.

Papajsmurf

Post by Papajsmurf » December 1st, 2016, 2:44 pm

Did some of you really think we were going to go undefeated? I welcome these losses as a good measurement of how we are going to look in the MW. I enjoy the level of play better than playing Western Wyoming Tech Beauty School.I still stand by what I've been saying, We are going to have growing pains but if the coaching pans out we could end up 3rd in the MW.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 1st, 2016, 11:00 pm

I dont think there was a single person on here (even myself) that thought we would go undefeated. A lot of us thought we could get at least one win out of the last three. On the bright side these games have shown the coaches what they need to work on before conference play gets hear, because the other teams in the MW are not going to be as easy as the teams we started the season against.
The thing is, if we rebound AND our guards show up to play we are a pretty solid team. Unfortunately, we dont seem to be able to do that against good competition. Also, other than half a game (texas tech) our shooting percentage has been really good, and the style of play has been much more fun to watch then the last several years.

Sorry if this post was too positive.
Oh, and in case you missed my tone :sarcasm: ;)

Where only sage brush grows

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » December 2nd, 2016, 12:28 am

Of all the players on the team Jalen Moore is the last guy to criticize. He has been our best player in every game. As far as I can see he has improved every aspect of his game. I couldn't be happier with the way he is playing right now.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 5th, 2016, 9:52 am

Papajsmurf wrote:Did some of you really think we were going to go undefeated? I welcome these losses as a good measurement of how we are going to look in the MW. I enjoy the level of play better than playing Western Wyoming Tech Beauty School.I still stand by what I've been saying, We are going to have growing pains but if the coaching pans out we could end up 3rd in the MW.

I have watched Aggie athletics for 60 years, and have never....ever..WELCOMED a loss! Maybe welcoming losses is the problem with both football and basketball. Welcome a loss? :bangwall:

TheAggie

Post by TheAggie » December 5th, 2016, 11:29 am

Duryea's weaknesses as a coach and the lack of toughness got exposed when we weren't playing weak competition anymore.

Locked Previous topicNext topic