Collette

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie

Collette

Post by thetrueaggie » February 16th, 2017, 8:52 pm

This may be beating a dead horse but...

aggieguy13

Re: Collette

Post by aggieguy13 » February 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Looks an awful lot like his last ever play as an Aggie. At least it was a D-1 player posterizing him this time.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » February 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Notice Rawson's defense. I like Rawson, wish we would have picked him up, but his defense is suspect.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 16th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Looks like he hit Brooks in the head on that too. I wonder if the Ducks play-by-play guy was screeching like a banshee over it.

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » February 17th, 2017, 8:28 am

Rawson and Collette do ok in the PAC 12, but they were never going to make Utah into a top team in that conference. But both would've made a big difference on this team with the right coaching. Neither wanted to be here, when both should've been here. That's the problem.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 17th, 2017, 8:43 am

I.M.Noone wrote:Rawson and Collette do ok in the PAC 12, but they were never going to make Utah into a top team in that conference. But both would've made a big difference on this team with the right coaching. Neither wanted to be here, when both should've been here. That's the problem.
Obviously with collette there is no excuse. It's not "our bad" that he left. And from this board it sounds like we whiffed on Rawson. I would take Rawson any day over Barnaba or Taylor. Especially Barnaba....

IMO having Rawson and Collette would make us a top 4 team in the mountain west. And I agree with you that both should be on this team and would be successful in the Mountain West.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 17th, 2017, 8:46 am

With Rawson and Collette, we win the conference. With ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » February 17th, 2017, 8:50 am

2004AG wrote:With Rawson and Collette, we win the conference. With ease.

Agree 2004AG. I'm as disappointed as the next guy , but rather than cry over spilt milk, let's go get a couple more. I think we already have one in Stall.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » February 17th, 2017, 9:13 am

Not buying that we win the conference with ease. We still have Duryea as coach right? Collette while talented still fouls guys in a tie game with 2 seconds left 80 feet away from the basket?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 17th, 2017, 9:45 am

Coloraggie wrote:

Not buying that we win the conference with ease. We still have Duryea as coach right? Collette while talented still fouls guys in a tie game with 2 seconds left 80 feet away from the basket?
The conference sucks pretty bad. Duryea would be the wildcard with my prediction.

Collette was a freshman, freshman make mistakes. Time to move on. He's a really good player

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 17th, 2017, 11:39 am

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
I.M.Noone wrote:Rawson and Collette do ok in the PAC 12, but they were never going to make Utah into a top team in that conference. But both would've made a big difference on this team with the right coaching. Neither wanted to be here, when both should've been here. That's the problem.
Obviously with collette there is no excuse. It's not "our bad" that he left. And from this board it sounds like we whiffed on Rawson. I would take Rawson any day over Barnaba or Taylor. Especially Barnaba....

IMO having Rawson and Collette would make us a top 4 team in the mountain west. And I agree with you that both should be on this team and would be successful in the Mountain West.
I know for a fact that the coaching staff did everything within their power to land Rawson. He simply chose Utah over us.

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » February 17th, 2017, 11:50 am

Not out of HS they didn't, and Duryea was head assistant at that time. That's when Rawson was available to us and that's when we should have recruited him and offered. After he'd proven himself at SLCC, and was getting PAC 12 interest, it was too late. It didn't matter what Duryea did then.

GUS

Post by GUS » February 17th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Trouble was, no one thought he was that good coming out of high school. That's a 20/20 hindsight argument that you're making I.M.Noone.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 17th, 2017, 12:17 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:Not out of HS they didn't, and Duryea was head assistant at that time. That's when Rawson was available to us and that's when we should have recruited him and offered. After he'd proven himself at SLCC, and was getting PAC 12 interest, it was too late. It didn't matter what Duryea did then.
Great, I know that. I'll be more specific and state that my post above was in regards to Rawson coming out of SLCC. I just figured it was common knowledge around USUFans by now that we didn't recruit him out of high school. Neither did Utah, so why the grudge against us?

gomretat

Post by gomretat » February 17th, 2017, 2:05 pm

I know Rawson personally. No one but SUU recruited him out of high school. And he was being watched by college coaches continually over a two year period because everyone was there to see Ryan Andrus. And Tyler was very interested in USU but the lure of playing in the PAC 12 was a big deal to him. WIsh he was here both for his skill and his heart. Great kid who plays the game the right way and works his tail off. He would have been a great Aggie and would have gotten a lot more playing time here.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 17th, 2017, 6:48 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:Not out of HS they didn't, and Duryea was head assistant at that time. That's when Rawson was available to us and that's when we should have recruited him and offered. After he'd proven himself at SLCC, and was getting PAC 12 interest, it was too late. It didn't matter what Duryea did then.
This rhetoric that Duryea was responsible for who we did/did not recruit while Stew was head coach is so much garbage.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 17th, 2017, 6:57 pm

brownjeans wrote:
This rhetoric that Duryea was responsible for who we did/did not recruit while Stew was head coach is so much garbage.
Saying he didn't have any responsibility is equally garbage.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 17th, 2017, 7:18 pm

gomretat wrote:I know Rawson personally. No one but SUU recruited him out of high school. And he was being watched by college coaches continually over a two year period because everyone was there to see Ryan Andrus. And Tyler was very interested in USU but the lure of playing in the PAC 12 was a big deal to him. WIsh he was here both for his skill and his heart. Great kid who plays the game the right way and works his tail off. He would have been a great Aggie and would have gotten a lot more playing time here.

How does he feel about getting very little playing time?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 17th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Another good time to point out that Collette has had more rebounds than fouls in less than 50% of his college games.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 17th, 2017, 10:11 pm

I don't lay blame at Duryea's feet for either player ending up at Utah. One kids is a total douche that stabbed his team mates in the back. The other is trying to play at the highest level he can - I can't fault a kid for that.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 17th, 2017, 10:26 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Yep. I find it interesting so many defend Duryea as an Assistant by Stew by blaming 100% of the problems at the end of Stew's tenure on Stew and 0% on Duryea. If he deserves zero blame as the Associate HC for recruiting and where the program was during those years then at the same token he doesn't deserve any credit for when the program was in good shape. He was also a major recruiter as our many top assistants. Many coaches get hired because of how good they were as a recruiter as an assistant coach.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 18th, 2017, 7:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
His responsibility was to do what Stew asked. Stew didn't let anyone tell him what to do. Not the fans, not the AD and certainly not his assistants. Duryea recruited who Stew wanted him to recruit.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 18th, 2017, 7:57 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
His responsibility was to do what Stew asked. Stew didn't let anyone tell him what to do. Not the fans, not the AD and certainly not his assistants. Duryea recruited who Stew wanted him to recruit.
That's not true.

Duryea obviously never told stew what to do, but he was an integral part of recruiting while Stew was head coach. He had a significant part in recruiting, even though stew made the final decision.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 18th, 2017, 7:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
That's not true.

Duryea obviously never told stew what to do, but he was an integral part of recruiting while Stew was head coach. He had a significant part in recruiting, even though stew made the final decision.
What do you think would have happened had Duryea fought with Stew about a recruit?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 18th, 2017, 8:02 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
That's not true.

What do you think would have happened had Duryea fought with Stew about a recruit?
That's not what we are arguing. Just because Stew has final say doesn't mean Duryea was some innocent bystander.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 18th, 2017, 8:04 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote: What do you think would have happened had Duryea fought with Stew about a recruit?
That's not what we are arguing. Just because Stew has final say doesn't mean Duryea was some innocent bystander.
The way Stew did things, you did what he wanted or you went somewhere else.

Look, if someone wants to be critical of Duryea's coaching, there are good reasons to be critical of him in his time as a Head Coach. Going back and trying to blame him for failures at the end of Stew's time as Head Coach is easily dismissed. As Head Coach, Stew was responsible.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 18th, 2017, 11:14 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote: What do you think would have happened had Duryea fought with Stew about a recruit?

Look, if someone wants to be critical of Duryea's coaching, there are good reasons to be critical of him in his time as a Head Coach. Going back and trying to blame him for failures at the end of Stew's time as Head Coach is easily dismissed. As Head Coach, Stew was responsible.
It absolutely is not "easily dismissed." Again, if he deserves zero blame for the program going downhill while he was the Associate Head Coach, why should he get any credit for the program's success at an earlier date? If he was that inconsequential to the program, he should not have been hired. You don't hire someone who was a bystander who had no importance.
Assistants have plenty of say in recruiting. Players commit to programs all the time because of relationships with assistant coaches on staff. Honestly to dismiss this isn't a good luck for supporting Duryea. The more Duryea fans argue his time as Associate Head Coach meant nothing, the more they make the point that this is a guy who should not have been hired. Assistants matter a great deal to a program. Since we played Nevada tonight I will use the example of Eric Musselman. He was the Associate HC at Arizona State the last time they made the NCAA tournament. Since he left, they have been terrible. He then went to be the Associate HC at LSU where they made the NCAA tournament. Since he left they have been terrible. Do you believe had Musselman stayed at those spots they would have seen those decline? I don't, he is a great coach.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 18th, 2017, 11:23 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

It absolutely is not "easily dismissed." Again, if he deserves zero blame for the program going downhill while he was the Associate Head Coach, why should he get any credit for the program's success at an earlier date? If he was that inconsequential to the program, he should not have been hired. You don't hire someone who was a bystander who had no importance.
Assistants have plenty of say in recruiting. Players commit to programs all the time because of relationships with assistant coaches on staff. Honestly to dismiss this isn't a good luck for supporting Duryea. The more Duryea fans argue his time as Associate Head Coach meant nothing, the more they make the point that this is a guy who should not have been hired. Assistants matter a great deal to a program. Since we played Nevada tonight I will use the example of Eric Musselman. He was the Associate HC at Arizona State the last time they made the NCAA tournament. Since he left, they have been terrible. He then went to be the Associate HC at LSU where they made the NCAA tournament. Since he left they have been terrible. Do you believe had Musselman stayed at those spots they would have seen those decline? I don't, he is a great coach.
I'm not giving Duryea blame or credit for anything that happened while Stew was the head coach. The Head Coach is responsible. Period.
I don't know who was Musselman's Head Coach, but I can tell you had Musselman been one of Stew's assistants, nothing would have been any different in the way Stew did things or the results Stew had. Musselman would have done things Stew's way, recruited the kind of players Stew wanted, or he would have been fired. Stew was the absolute authority.

You want to criticize Duryea for what's happened since Duryea became Head Coach? Go ahead, plenty to criticize.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 19th, 2017, 12:17 am

brownjeans wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I'm not giving Duryea blame or credit for anything that happened while Stew was the head coach. The Head Coach is responsible. Period.
I don't know who was Musselman's Head Coach, but I can tell you had Musselman been one of Stew's assistants, nothing would have been any different in the way Stew did things or the results Stew had. Musselman would have done things Stew's way, recruited the kind of players Stew wanted, or he would have been fired. Stew was the absolute authority.

You want to criticize Duryea for what's happened since Duryea became Head Coach? Go ahead, plenty to criticize.
Sorry, but that isn't how it works. Assistants get head coaching jobs because of the jobs they perform. They aren't just guys paid a lot of money to wear suits and have good seats. Duryea was the Associate HC and got the HC job at USU based on some believing he was good at that job.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 19th, 2017, 12:22 am

I'm with Brownjeans on this one. According to all these experts on how much control assistant coaches have, when I look at the product on the floor, apparently Spencer Nelson and Louis Wilson absolutely suck! Louis Wilson has had plenty of time to recruit our big man that we need. Worst recruiter ever.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 19th, 2017, 12:30 am

ususports wrote:I'm with Brownjeans on this one. According to all these experts on how much control assistant coaches have, when I look at the product on the floor, apparently Spencer Nelson and Louis Wilson absolutely suck! Louis Wilson has had plenty of time to recruit our big man that we need. Worst recruiter ever.
Spencer Nelson has been with USU as a coach since August, hardly enough time to fairly judge his ability as a coach. Duryea was the Associate HC for 7 years and obviously the HC for the past 2. That is more than enough time to judge his ability including recruiting. If Nelson is an assistant at USU for 7 years, obviously he will deserve some credit for the success during that period and the blame for things not going well. That is why teams hire assistant coaches or why assistants get fired.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 19th, 2017, 8:24 am

In a semi-related story: Lew Evans is one of the worst players on his team.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 19th, 2017, 9:53 am

Imakeitrain wrote:In a semi-related story: Lew Evans is one of the worst players on his team.
Some things never change.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » February 19th, 2017, 10:06 am

brownjeans wrote:
Trust me, I feel the same about your posts as you feel about mine. But getting back to Duryea and how much responsibility he had under Stew.

Take a minute to go to the utahstateaggies.com site and read Duryea's bio. For someone who had little or no responsibility, he sure takes a lot of credit for having a lot of responsibility. But, that could just be garbage too.

So Duryea was head assistant when we decided that Rawson wasn't good enough to play here. Why in the world would anyone expect him to come to USU after he's proven himself, and the current head coach is someone who thought he wasn't good enough a couple of years previously? He owes USU and Duryea and USU fans NOTHING. The big zero. The next time USU hires a head coach one of the qualifications should be that he has the ability to see and recruit raw talent like Rawson, and pass on players like Janicek and Barnaba. That's a minimum. Another thing is, if the candidate is like some in this thread are claiming Duryea was like, an assistant who wasn't willing to stand up to the head coach and was pretty much just a yes man, we don't want that guy.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 19th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Trust me, I feel the same about your posts as you feel about mine. But getting back to Duryea and how much responsibility he had under Stew.

Take a minute to go to the utahstateaggies.com site and read Duryea's bio. For someone who had little or no responsibility, he sure takes a lot of credit for having a lot of responsibility. But, that could just be garbage too.

So Duryea was head assistant when we decided that Rawson wasn't good enough to play here. Why in the world would anyone expect him to come to USU after he's proven himself, and the current head coach is someone who thought he wasn't good enough a couple of years previously? He owes USU and Duryea and USU fans NOTHING. The big zero. The next time USU hires a head coach one of the qualifications should be that he has the ability to see and recruit raw talent like Rawson, and pass on players like Janicek and Barnaba. That's a minimum. Another thing is, if the candidate is like some in this thread are claiming Duryea was like, an assistant who wasn't willing to stand up to the head coach and was pretty much just a yes man, we don't want that guy.
1. Who is to say that STEW wasn't the one who had final say on Rawson (which was a pass)? How do you know Duryea wasn't trying to convince Stew that Rawson was good enough to play here?

2. I know Rawson has performed solidly in limited minutes in a better conference (but Utah's OOC schedule wasn't that difficult) but who is to say Rawson would be some sort of savior here? He's a stretch 4, a perimeter player and not a post player, he's basically more of what we already have but a better version (of Barnaba, hard to say how much of an improvement he'd be over Dargenton. He's a taller Jalen. I haven't watched Rawson a ton but from what I have watched I don't think he has the type of game that would put is in a better position than having someone like Janicek. Janicek is bigger and stronger and has a better post game than Rawson, and is a true center unlike Rawson (built more like a 4). Rawson hasn't exactly lit up the stat sheet or forced his way into starters minutes, even before Collette was eligible to play.

Locked Previous topicNext topic