10 Years Ago from Today

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProfessorChaos

10 Years Ago from Today

Post by ProfessorChaos » March 1st, 2017, 1:16 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Flying_Scotsman8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 10 Years Ago from Today

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » March 1st, 2017, 8:20 am

Man those were some good games against Nevada back in the day.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 1st, 2017, 10:15 am

Wow, time flies. That was one of my all-time favorite Spectrum moments.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 1st, 2017, 10:24 am

The best part was turning around and beating them again 8 days later by this exact same score at the WAC Tourney. That Nevada team had Nick Fazekas, Marcelus Kemp, Ramon Sessions, JaVale McGee, and Lyndale Burleson.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 1st, 2017, 12:53 pm

Awesome, we have video evidence that Kris Clark actually made a shot. A true gem for sure.

Treesap now has his evidence.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » March 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

I like the vintage trash talking in the comments on that video.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

VegasAggie71
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by VegasAggie71 » March 1st, 2017, 4:30 pm

Entertaining/good Aggie team; intense rivalry; spectrum is full and rocking. Sigh. I miss those days.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

I was there for that game. What a night! The Fazekas mock girly run by the students and the relentless nature of that undersized team made for an unforgettable night. I remember getting home to South Salt Lake at 1 in the morning and rewatching the game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 2nd, 2017, 12:34 am

I was not there, but I was at the game earlier that season where Jaycee dropped 44 on just 16 shots against eventual Wac champion New Mexico State. That team wasn't great that year, but it had some great wins. Beat Utah, NMSU, and Nevada all in the Spectrum, and then Nevada again in Las Cruces.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 2nd, 2017, 2:15 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:I was not there, but I was at the game earlier that season where Jaycee dropped 44 on just 16 shots against eventual Wac champion New Mexico State. That team wasn't great that year, but it had some great wins. Beat Utah, NMSU, and Nevada all in the Spectrum, and then Nevada again in Las Cruces.
Miracle comeback vs Boise in the Spectrum too that year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 2nd, 2017, 2:18 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:I was not there, but I was at the game earlier that season where Jaycee dropped 44 on just 16 shots against eventual Wac champion New Mexico State. That team wasn't great that year, but it had some great wins. Beat Utah, NMSU, and Nevada all in the Spectrum, and then Nevada again in Las Cruces.
Miracle comeback vs Boise in the Spectrum too that year.
That was a great one too. Also beat a good weber state team in the spectrum that year. We were an elite team at home that year, just couldn't win on the road.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 2nd, 2017, 4:29 pm

You can't even see an empty chair in the Spectrum in that picture. That's the biggest thing I miss. Seeing the games on TV this year, with the weak attendance, has been depressing.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 2nd, 2017, 4:49 pm

I miss Jaycee Carroll.

:cry:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 2nd, 2017, 9:28 pm

2004AG wrote:I miss Jaycee Carroll.

He was great, and flat out carried that 06-07 team. Without him that year, I doubt we win 10 games.

As great as he was, our program was in a great state beyond any one player. We won 30 games the year after he left. Even though Jaycee is obviously greater than Jalen, I worry losing Jalen could be a bigger blow to our program. Many people that are singing Duryea's praises believe the program is going to skyrocket next year. Jalen could be a bigger loss than they believe.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 2nd, 2017, 10:56 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

He was great, and flat out carried that 06-07 team. Without him that year, I doubt we win 10 games.

As great as he was, our program was in a great state beyond any one player. We won 30 games the year after he left. Even though Jaycee is obviously greater than Jalen, I worry losing Jalen could be a bigger blow to our program. Many people that are singing Duryea's praises believe the program is going to skyrocket next year. Jalen could be a bigger loss than they believe.
Who is singing Duryea praises??? I've noticed a few commenters suggest his scheduling philosophy is better than Stew's and because of McEwen signing (and maybe Henson based on potential), he is improving recruiting. Besides one probable friend or relative of Duryea that kept suggesting USU should hire Duryea a year or two ago, I'm not sure anyone is all that impressed with him. Some are willing to ride it out longer than others before calling for his head but that isn't singing praises in my book.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 3rd, 2017, 12:16 am

Pacobag wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

Who is singing Duryea praises??? I've noticed a few commenters suggest his scheduling philosophy is better than Stew's and because of McEwen signing (and maybe Henson based on potential), he is improving recruiting. Besides one probable friend or relative of Duryea that kept suggesting USU should hire Duryea a year or two ago, I'm not sure anyone is all that impressed with him. Some are willing to ride it out longer than others before calling for his head but that isn't singing praises in my book.
Those that give him a free pass for the last few years of Stew's tenure when Duryea was the Associate HC is a form of support. If you had a few bad years on the job, and people said you should receive zero blame for it, I would definitely consider those people your supporters.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 3rd, 2017, 7:16 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

Those that give him a free pass for the last few years of Stew's tenure when Duryea was the Associate HC is a form of support. If you had a few bad years on the job, and people said you should receive zero blame for it, I would definitely consider those people your supporters.
Supporting the current coach because you are a fan of the team vs "singing praises" has a notably different connotation in my book. You jump on people for using examples that you don't think are perfect but then use silly comments yourself. I really don't know if Duryea was a good or bad assistant. He could have been the bright spot that kept us from being worse during the down years or he could have been a dead weight that kept us from greatness during the good years, or somewhere in between. Maybe he was a yes man that didn't challenge Stew's decisions and that's what Stew wanted in an assistant at that point. Maybe he was challenging Stew but Stew stopped listening as much as Stew neared the end of his career. Some probably believe that Duryea had an idea of what it takes to win because he was part of a winning culture for a long time. Others rightfully point out that the program was trending down and wanted new blood. One thing we know is that TD hasn't been impressive as a head coach to date based on team performance. And who are all these people you keep trying to convince of something with your tiresome, "if you give TD some credit for team success during the good years, then you need to give him some credit for failure during the down years" comment you keep regurgitating?
We can give some credit for company success or failure to a division manager who consistently performs, but without a good way to quantify the portion he was responsible for, who external to the company really knows if he is a good candidate to replace the outgoing CEO?

Locked Previous topicNext topic