Weber State

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Hoopsnut
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Weber State

Post by Hoopsnut » November 2nd, 2017, 10:51 pm

I watched the Weber State exhibition game tonight against a d2 team from Colorado and we should easily win our game next week by double digits. They’re a one man team with their point guard running the show and taking a majority of the shots. The other players were standing around waiting for him to shoot. Our strength is our guard play and looks like we’ll be able to dominate in the backcourt. Our length at the guard position will have an impact. They won the game, but gave up over 30 points to a guard from Western Colorado. Weber was outscored in the second half by almost 20 points. Chapman played well, but had to create on his own. There didn’t seem to be a lot of team play at all.

I like our chances with our guards shooting and distributing...... besides Chapman only 6-7 shots taken in the front court. Looks like a tough year for Weber State.

Jjoey52
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Weber State

Post by Jjoey52 » November 2nd, 2017, 11:07 pm

I would be very surprised if Weber is as bad as you describe them. Randy Rahe always turns out a quality product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thansen
Been liked: 4 times

Post by thansen » November 3rd, 2017, 6:05 am

Hoopsnut wrote:I watched the Weber State exhibition game tonight against a d2 team from Colorado and we should easily win our game next week by double digits. They’re a one man team with their point guard running the show and taking a majority of the shots. The other players were standing around waiting for him to shoot. Our strength is our guard play and looks like we’ll be able to dominate in the backcourt. Our length at the guard position will have an impact. They won the game, but gave up over 30 points to a guard from Western Colorado. Weber was outscored in the second half by almost 20 points. Chapman played well, but had to create on his own. There didn’t seem to be a lot of team play at all.

I like our chances with our guards shooting and distributing...... besides Chapman only 6-7 shots taken in the front court. Looks like a tough year for Weber State.
I hope you're right Hoopsnut that we beat Weber State easily because they beat us at home last year and the year before that we barely won in Ogden.

Weber State University is definitely not a one man team and if they are Chapman would most likely be that man. They have a stronger front court than we do with Chapman and Braxton. Chapman had 20 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 assists. Braxton was in foul trouble and only played 20 minutes but had 11 points, 7 rebounds, and one block.

Due to a couple of injuries to some key players Weber State only goes about 7 deep. Our strengths going into the game against Weber is our back court, experience over the summer (Summer practices and Italy Trip), and our depth (about 10 deep). I also expect that we will be pretty strong at the 3 spot with Isby, Miller, and Henson. Our biggest weakness is our front court play.It will be interesting to see how our front court fairs against Chapman and Braxton. Braxton is a beast at 6'9" and 250 lbs and Chapman is quick, athletic, a great ball handler and shooter and can post up. My guess is that we will have Taylor and Stall defend Braxton and probably Brown, Dargenton, and possibly Henson defend Chapman.

A link to the box score is below.

https://weberstatesports.com/documents/ ... ate_77.pdf
Last edited by thansen on November 3rd, 2017, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » November 3rd, 2017, 6:55 am

I’m a Rahe fan too, but saw a lot of hero ball and very selfish guard play. Weber might have a better team than us, but they don’t have better guards. Defense was weak and offense stagnant. Looks like a down year. I wish I could get to Ogden for the game.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 3rd, 2017, 7:04 am

Hoopsnut wrote:I’m a Rahe fan too, but saw a lot of hero ball and very selfish guard play. Weber might have a better team than us, but they don’t have better guards. Defense was weak and offense stagnant. Looks like a down year. I wish I could get to Ogden for the game.
We're definitely better than them at the 1, 2, and 3 spots but Weber is better at the starting 4 and 5 spots so it will be interesting to see how the game goes with the mismatches.
Last edited by thansen on November 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyedblue
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 388 times

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2017, 7:06 am

Weber is replacing Senglin who carried his team on his back. They will struggle early but will be a solid team by the end of the year.

We need to attack Braxton early and get him off the floor with foul trouble.

Our guard play should carry us to victory. I think it will be a close one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » November 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am

dyedblue wrote:Weber is replacing Senglin who carried his team on his back. They will struggle early but will be a solid team by the end of the year.

Braxton was a non factor. 4/5 shooting with 11 points and 7 rebs. He barely touched the ball. They didn’t pound it inside. Their point guard is Senglin part two. Took almost 20 shots. 7/15..... but 11/11 from the ft line. Chapman played well, but I really like how this comes together for us. McEwen, Merrill and Isby should have huge nights as long as they play defense. There was a lot of selfish play and it took the air out of the Weber offense. Cody John is out for the year due to a back injury.

treesap32
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 418 times

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2017, 8:15 am

Hoopsnut wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Weber is replacing Senglin who carried his team on his back. They will struggle early but will be a solid team by the end of the year.

Braxton was a non factor. 4/5 shooting with 11 points and 7 rebs. He barely touched the ball. They didn’t pound it inside. Their point guard is Senglin part two. Took almost 20 shots. 7/15..... but 11/11 from the ft line. Chapman played well, but I really like how this comes together for us. McEwen, Merrill and Isby should have huge nights as long as they play defense. There was a lot of selfish play and it took the air out of the Weber offense. Cody John is out for the year due to a back injury.
4/5 from the field for 11 points and 7 boards in 20 minutes sounds like a pretty big factor to me. I wish out post players could do that. We didn't have anyone average 7 boards last year, let alone in only 20 minutes of play.

NAggsty Butler
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 3rd, 2017, 8:19 am

Hoopsnut wrote:

Dude almost gets a double double and you say that's barely touching the ball? :headscratch:

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

thansen

Post by thansen » November 3rd, 2017, 8:23 am

Hoopsnut wrote:

This was Weber's first exhibition game of the year. Rahe will fix that. He know's he has a good big man in Braxton and will make sure they feed him the ball.

mcaggie1
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 113 times

Post by mcaggie1 » November 3rd, 2017, 9:09 am

Ever wonder if coaches play it close to the vest in an exhibition game, so the first opponent that counts, who happens to be an instate rival, won't know how to prepare? Uh.....maybe.

Flying_Scotsman8
Been liked: 0

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » November 3rd, 2017, 9:12 am

Does anybody know about tickets to the Weber game? Does USU have an allotment? I'm thinking about just buying a couple straight from Weber. They are 10$ and it's 15 minutes from my house, so it sounds like a win for me.

nswaggie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by nswaggie » November 3rd, 2017, 9:15 am

thansen wrote:
Hoopsnut wrote:

This was Weber's first exhibition game of the year. Rahe will fix that. He know's he has a good big man in Braxton and will make sure they feed him the ball.
Especially against us.

Yossarian
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Yossarian » November 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am

Hoopsnut wrote:

If we had a post player that could be a non-factor to the tune of 11 points and 7 boards we would be jumping for joy.

ususports
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by ususports » November 3rd, 2017, 10:27 am

mcaggie1 wrote:Ever wonder if coaches play it close to the vest in an exhibition game, so the first opponent that counts, who happens to be an instate rival, won't know how to prepare? Uh.....maybe.
This was TD's strategy a couple of years ago when we lost our exhibition game. Many on this board panicked, but it was just a super intelligent, strategic move. Our football program used this too with the SUU game. We had them right where we wanted them knowing we could take a punt return for a touchdown at the end of the game. All the fans were nervous, but MW knew exactly what he was doing.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 3rd, 2017, 11:05 am

ususports wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:Ever wonder if coaches play it close to the vest in an exhibition game, so the first opponent that counts, who happens to be an instate rival, won't know how to prepare? Uh.....maybe.
This was TD's strategy a couple of years ago when we lost our exhibition game. Many on this board panicked, but it was just a super intelligent, strategic move. Our football program used this too with the SUU game. We had them right where we wanted them knowing we could take a punt return for a touchdown at the end of the game. All the fans were nervous, but MW knew exactly what he was doing.
Matt Wells has been using these super intelligent, strategic moves all year. In fact Matt Wells called me at the beginning of the season and told me that his strategy was to piss all the fans off and to put his job on the line by going 4-6 and then winning the last two games of the season in order to go to a bowl game. If everything works out as planned expect the football team to lose to UNM tomorrow and then to win the following two games against Hawaii and Air Force. I expect the Air Force game to be a come from behind nail biter. This strategy will completely shock the $h!+ out of our Potato Bowl opponent and they won't know how to prepare for the game then Utah State will win, Matt will keep his job, fans will be happy, Utah State will get better recruits, and then next season no one will know what to expect.

mcaggie1
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 113 times

Post by mcaggie1 » November 3rd, 2017, 11:11 am

ususports wrote:
Nice post. Thanks for the chuckle. Nice to know a fellow sarcasm practitioner.

treesap32
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 418 times

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2017, 11:34 am

Flying_Scotsman8 wrote:Does anybody know about tickets to the Weber game? Does USU have an allotment? I'm thinking about just buying a couple straight from Weber. They are 10$ and it's 15 minutes from my house, so it sounds like a win for me.
In the past there have been coupons in those "Entertainment Books" formerly called "Happenings Book" for Weber State basketball games. I've gotten buy 1 get 1 free from there before.

I plan on attending the game. Also looking for the best way to get tickets. I'm not sure if the Entertainment books have the coupons. If someone can check please let us know.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by BigBlueDart » November 3rd, 2017, 12:14 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Flying_Scotsman8 wrote:Does anybody know about tickets to the Weber game? Does USU have an allotment? I'm thinking about just buying a couple straight from Weber. They are 10$ and it's 15 minutes from my house, so it sounds like a win for me.
In the past there have been coupons in those "Entertainment Books" formerly called "Happenings Book" for Weber State basketball games. I've gotten buy 1 get 1 free from there before.

I plan on attending the game. Also looking for the best way to get tickets. I'm not sure if the Entertainment books have the coupons. If someone can check please let us know.
We have three from our three kids selling them for school. I'll check it out tonight and report.

dogie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by dogie » November 3rd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Whatever you do, don’t plan on physically receivIng your ticket from the Weber State ticket office after 6:00 pm on the day of the game. If you do, you will learn from sad experience that they are not equipped to help people get into well-attended games in any reasonable amount of time.

Jjoey52
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Jjoey52 » November 3rd, 2017, 6:38 pm

ususports wrote:
He probably should have let Colette know what he was doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papaj
Been liked: 1 time

Post by papaj » November 4th, 2017, 2:40 pm

dogie wrote:
Whatever you do, don’t plan on physically receivIng your ticket from the Weber State ticket office after 6:00 pm on the day of the game. If you do, you will learn from sad experience that they are not equipped to help people get into well-attended games in any reasonable amount of time.
I just happen to be flying into SLC on the 10th, and may try to make it. I’ll buy tickets from their site; what section will have the most people dressed in blue?

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 4th, 2017, 3:10 pm

We need to load a section with Aggie fans. Is there going to be any type of concerted effort by the students to create abs SOW?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

elcheque2
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by elcheque2 » November 5th, 2017, 10:03 am

dyedblue wrote:We need to load a section with Aggie fans. Is there going to be any type of concerted effort by the students to create abs SOW?
The last couple of times we played there, the 50 or so USU students that showed up were louder than weber's student section that has usually been pretty full.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by BigBlueDart » November 5th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Just an FYI, the coupon books, if you have them, do have Weber State basketball buy one get one free coupons.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

ajwildcat

Post by ajwildcat » November 6th, 2017, 2:23 pm

elcheque2 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:We need to load a section with Aggie fans. Is there going to be any type of concerted effort by the students to create abs SOW?
The last couple of times we played there, the 50 or so USU students that showed up were louder than weber's student section that has usually been pretty full.

I call total B.S. on this!!! I have been going to Weber games for 40+ years and there is NO such thing as a student section at Weber. :crazy:
That being said I really don't know what to expect in this game. From early indications, this isn't one of Weber's better teams.

elcheque2
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by elcheque2 » November 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:

I call total B.S. on this!!! I have been going to Weber games for 40+ years and there is NO such thing as a student section at Weber. :crazy:
That being said I really don't know what to expect in this game. From early indications, this isn't one of Weber's better teams.
Maybe I'm not privy to the boundaries of weber's "student section" then, because it seems pretty full every time we've played there.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 6th, 2017, 3:10 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:

:wtf: ajwildcat, Your statement is complete and total B.S. I've been to many games at Weber and unless things have recently changed they definitely have a student section.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by ProvoAggie » November 6th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Weber has a fairly large student section and I always though it was pretty fully when USU played there in the past. Definitely not to the top but better than a lot of other schools.

ajwildcat

Post by ajwildcat » November 6th, 2017, 3:47 pm

For 99% of the home games, the "student Section" consists of roughly 10-15 students standing in a group....not what I would really call a student section but i guess if you are impressed by that then its cool.

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » November 6th, 2017, 4:02 pm

ajwildcat wrote:For 99% of the home games, the "student Section" consists of roughly 10-15 students standing in a group....not what I would really call a student section but i guess if you are impressed by that then its cool.
The times I have gone to Weber games for USU, the student section has at least several hundred students and they seem to get into it. In the past I have gone to Weber games against Big Sky opponents and I can confirm that the student section is small. Hard to find if you don't know where to look, even.

dyedblue

Weber State

Post by dyedblue » November 6th, 2017, 5:51 pm

The Weber student section is literally about 20 students for every game except BYU and USU. expect a good showing on Friday night, we need to get a little organization to our fans and we can own the place like we did 4 years ago. Two years ago was our showing was very poor.
Last edited by dyedblue on November 6th, 2017, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texasaggie1
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Texasaggie1 » November 6th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I haven't been to a Weber game in years, but I did spend 4 years attending during some of their best years "lillard era"

What was stated previously is the truth unless it has changed recently. Their student section was about 15 people, with one or two of them always dressed up in a hot dog or banana costume. I guess that was their attempt at recreating our best era for students during the height of Wild Bill.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 7th, 2017, 7:57 am

Does anyone know if there will be a stream for this game?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by ProvoAggie » November 7th, 2017, 8:33 am

thansen wrote:Does anyone know if there will be a stream for this game?
Looks like it will be streaming here:
http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/1 ... igSky.aspx

Locked Previous topicNext topic