Wednessdays game vs Airforce might get cancelled

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blitz79

Wednessdays game vs Airforce might get cancelled

Post by Blitz79 » January 20th, 2018, 9:31 am

Air force is cancelling all sporting events due to the government shutdown. We are scheduled to play them on Wednesday.
Hopefully this will get resolved before then.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... t-shutdown

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Wednessdays game vs Airforce might get cancelled

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 20th, 2018, 9:53 am

When there was the shutdown in 2013, It threatened the Air Force, Army and Navy football games, but they were able to work things out to play the Army-Boston College and Air Force-Navy football games that weekend, but other sports like volleyball and soccer were cancelled. Since we had already played Air Force earlier that year, I said that it was a good thing the shutdown didn't happen earlier and affect us. And that they needed to figure things out so that games wouldn't get cancelled. And my sister criticized me, being like "I'm sure THATS the most important thing they're worried about"

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 20th, 2018, 10:02 am

I'll be out of town and unable to watch on Wednesday. I delay wouldn't be a bad thing. Hopefully it isn't cancelled though. That's actually a winnable game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 20th, 2018, 10:58 am

Bummer for FSU who I am sure went to bed in Colorado last night unsure about the game status and now they have a road trip with no game. And if they try to make it up, it will almost certainly be another 1-game road trip - likely packed in the middle of their current schedule.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » January 20th, 2018, 11:26 am

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 10:58 am
Bummer for FSU who I am sure went to bed in Colorado last night unsure about the game status and now they have a road trip with no game. And if they try to make it up, it will almost certainly be another 1-game road trip - likely packed in the middle of their current schedule.
The USU women's team is playing Wyoming today, then staying in Denver for the next few days with a flight out of Colorado Springs Thursday morning after the game. So as it stands, they're essentially trapped in Colorado waiting for further information.

The Air Force women's team traveled all the way out to Fresno, got a hotel, paid for hotels and flights, and now isn't going to be able to play the game scheduled for today. They'll likely have to travel back out there later in the year to make up for it.

This is a lose-lose-lose situation, and without getting too political, it's absolute BS how much time and money is being wasted at the expense of groups that have nothing to do with it.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 20th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Army and navy both played today

Eutaw St. Aggie

KohnDome
Has thanked: 0

Post by KohnDome » January 20th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Army and Navy, while both are affiliated with their respective military organization, neither of them are funded by the US Goverment. Air Force on the other hand is funded by the US goverment, that is why Army and Navy will continue to play and Air Force won’t.

On a side note, 2 Air Force girls basketball team members and 2 coaches just boarded my flight in SLC to Denver.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 20th, 2018, 6:01 pm

KohnDome wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 4:47 pm
Army and Navy, while both are affiliated with their respective military organization, neither of them are funded by the US Goverment. Air Force on the other hand is funded by the US goverment, that is why Army and Navy will continue to play and Air Force won’t.

On a side note, 2 Air Force girls basketball team members and 2 coaches just boarded my flight in SLC to Denver.
I read the same about Army & Navy essentially not being funded by the feds. How is it that the AFA is different? Army and the AFA moved their athletics to non-profit status a few years ago. Stll, 60% of the AFA's athletic budget comes from the feds while only 1% of the Naval Academy's does. The AFA's football coach makes around $900,000/year and Navy's coach makes $2 million, nic incentives.

TheConspirator

Post by TheConspirator » January 20th, 2018, 9:49 pm

So we actually may not lose on Wednesday.

bleu

Post by bleu » January 20th, 2018, 11:01 pm

TheConspirator wrote:So we actually may not lose on Wednesday.
Genuine question here, and I don’t mean this as an attack in any way. But have you ever, even one single time, ever posted something remotely positive on this board?

TheConspirator

Post by TheConspirator » January 21st, 2018, 12:23 am

bleu wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 11:01 pm
TheConspirator wrote:So we actually may not lose on Wednesday.
Genuine question here, and I don’t mean this as an attack in any way. But have you ever, even one single time, ever posted something remotely positive on this board?
Took me a minute, but looks like it was as long ago as December 29th, 2017 at 8:18 on the Football Forum, in defense of Love.
I almost made a positive post after the UNLV win, but I couldn't help but throw in some pessimism at the end of the post despite our 3-1 conference record at the time. Trust me, I'm normally a positive person.....there just hasn't been much joy in Mudville lately.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 21st, 2018, 4:42 am

Speaking of reality — if we are unable to play AFA on Wednesday, it's quite possible that our current 4-game losing streak hits 10 games. We will be underdogs in those other 6 games with the exception of perhaps NM, where we may be slight favorites at home. But then again, we were slight favorites against WYO and CSU at home and we know how those games went.

Open dates where we could fit AFA in again will be difficult especially if this budget impasse continues for a couple of weeks more, necessitating AFA to make up 3 or 4 games. Not making up a winnable home game would be unfortunate. But it's not like there is much difference between 6-12 and 5-12. 9th place is 9th place.

Locked Previous topicNext topic