Big Three mentality

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Big Three mentality

Post by SectionBAggie » January 27th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Over the past several years, there has been a new analysis that teams have or need three dependable scorers - the phrase Big Three defines this scenario. When teams that have a Big Three lose a game, it is often attributed to the Big Three (1 2, or all) not showing up as if it is totally impossible for a team to win a game without their regular contributors. Given the fact that this season USU has been working on more of a Big Two situation, we have seen many people analyze that this team can't win without Koby, or without Sam or without either.

And yet...

I find it very encouraging that two of Henon's best nights shooting have been on the road - @UNLV and @FSU. The kid has some fortitude doing that in his first game at either venue.

It was a super ending to a tough road game - tough meaning close game against an opponent that supposedly matches up well with USU.

Blitz79

Re: Big Three mentality

Post by Blitz79 » January 28th, 2018, 7:24 am

The big three fad came and went with the Miami Heat. I don't think it's a thing anymore, specially not in college basketball.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » January 28th, 2018, 11:41 am

@SecontBAggie: I reject your premise and offer nothing in return!

Seriously, I tend to agree*. 1 superstar can be shut down for a loss if the supporting cast doesn't step up. 2 can be slowed down with a lock down defender and some double-teaming. But if you have 3 reliable scorers, there's just not enough defensive schemes/motion or lock down defenders to corral that monster. It also helps when the focus of the defense finds other ways to contribute, like Kobe did last night. That's teamwork right there. The perennial key to success.

* I acknowledge there are other aspects to the game, like coaching, recruiting, defense and rebounding not accounted for in the above, reflexive, discussion board response.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

TexAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by TexAggie » January 28th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Big Three “fad” didn’t start with the Miami Heat and didn’t end with them either. Jordan, Pippen, Rodman. Magic, Kareem, Worthy. Tim, Tony, Manu. Steph, Klay, Draymond (now KD). Bird, McHale, Parrish. Hakeem, Barkley, Clyde. Run TMC. KG, Pierce, Allen. LeBron, Kyrie, Love. Wilt, Elgin Baylor, West. The Big 3 will always be a part of basketball, definitely is not a fad. Might not be as big In college basketball but absolutely is in the NBA.

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » January 28th, 2018, 6:26 pm

So is the point of this message board to pick the part of the post we want to over-dissect? The main point of the post was that Henson came through with a big game when our two stars were struggling. Even though "Big Three" is in the subject, the post has very little to do with the so-called Big 3 phenomenon.

Do you agree or disagree Henson had a big performance while Koby and Sam struggled?

Usurossco
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » January 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I think we are talking to much about a big three I wish we had anyone who cares (outside of Merrill right now. )
We have zero consistency Koby didn’t realize we were playing Weber state dribbled it of his foot several times and disappeared for 10 games everyone else couldn’t make the Bingham High team. We need players period. Guys who care and realize the rich history of our program. These guys will not survive a coaching change except for maybe a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheConspirator

Post by TheConspirator » January 28th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Usurossco wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm
I think we are talking to much about a big three I wish we had anyone who cares (outside of Merrill right now. )
We have zero consistency Koby didn’t realize we were playing Weber state dribbled it of his foot several times and disappeared for 10 games everyone else couldn’t make the Bingham High team. We need players period. Guys who care and realize the rich history of our program. These guys will not survive a coaching change except for maybe a few.

buckfever, did you forget your password or something? Why the new avatar?

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 28th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Aviators don’t win games bro I want wins real coaches and somebody who cares

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 28th, 2018, 8:46 pm

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 28th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 7:24 am
The big three fad came and went with the Miami Heat.
Huh? WTF are you talking about? You are either joking or showing an extremely narrow knowledge of the history and evolution of basketball.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » January 29th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Usurossco wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 8:44 pm
Aviators don’t win games bro I want wins real coaches and somebody who cares

He's right though. We definitely don't need many aviators on the team.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 30th, 2018, 8:29 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 7:24 am
The big three fad came and went with the Miami Heat.
Huh? WTF are you talking about? You are either joking or showing an extremely narrow knowledge of the history and evolution of basketball.
Ok so maybe I understated it a little bit but still. Big three is way over rated. It so happens that a lot of those big three teams were loaded and they had way more than 3 big players. Rondo was as important as the other guys on their championship team. Lakers were staked with talent beyond the more recognizable 3(Kareem, Magic and Worthy). There is no way yo can claim the Warriors were/are a big thee, finals MVP was not even one of the three. Houston didn't win anything, the Jazz big two beat their big three. Bulls were not a big three. Spurs had three good players that stayed together for a long time but they were much more than those 3. Fact of the matter is three big names is not a recipe for success, but of course that having three good players is better than two or one. and those. You need a complete team to make it work not just 3 good ones. Big three mentality is overrated and became a fad. It's not even a thing in college basketball.

There, now chew me up and spit out if you want :lol:

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 30th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 8:29 pm
There, now chew me up and spit out if you want :lol:
:golfclap: :)

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 31st, 2018, 6:29 am

My post was trying to say it would be nice to have a good player period. At times I wonder how we went from getting players who could dominate at times. To players who strut down the court if they hit one shot in a game (koby) if I wanted to watch that I would go see the ducks mating ritual at the local pond. Frustrated with Duryea and most of our Players. We will see. Those of you who say have patience never saw Stew coach he had one bad season his first year. Then 3 bad seasons after he was done. No lapses in between.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 31st, 2018, 10:32 am

Btw we are 6 seasons into “next year we will be better don’t worry just pay us to see this mess and renew your season tickets so we can pay this coach that screwed us on his contract” If he makes it through this year we have destroyed one of the great things about being an Aggie a great basketball tradition! How many years until somebody wakes up?

Locked Previous topicNext topic