Koby inconsistency

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Maverik_Aggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Koby inconsistency

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 14th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Let me first start by saying this NM loss doesn't entirely fall on Koby's shoulders. I'll make it clear that's this isn't all on him.

However, nobody on this team not named Sam Merrill or Koby McEwen has been able to be an offensive threat. Just like many were saying in the chat, we have ZERO DEPTH. Not mention that pr!ck Ainge thinking he's his dad out there.

My point is simple. ChicAggie pointed this out as well. When teams double team Koby it works. We need to find a way to get that extra man open and get some easy layups from that. Or figure out a way to get some points when Koby is double teamed! Am I crazy to say this?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 173 times

Re: Koby inconsistency

Post by TheAKAggie » February 14th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Koby throwing the ball away when we were down 8, 🤢.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

WAAggie
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by WAAggie » February 14th, 2018, 9:29 pm

13 to’s from 2 guards???

utaggies
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by utaggies » February 14th, 2018, 9:58 pm

I don't care if it's Junior Jazz, Jr. High, or a pick-up game — there's no team that can go 8-1/2+ minutes without a FG and expect to win. These scoring droughts are driving me crazy. I believe we were tied at 52 and then the wheels completely fell off. Sam's career night was wasted.

brian5562
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by brian5562 » February 14th, 2018, 11:39 pm

The bench was outscored 33 to 7. 4 of which were scored by mr waste of a scholarship according to the board.

USUBlue
13=13
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by USUBlue » February 15th, 2018, 12:25 am

utaggies wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 9:58 pm
I don't care if it's Junior Jazz, Jr. High, or a pick-up game — there's no team that can go 8-1/2+ minutes without a FG and expect to win. These scoring droughts are driving me crazy. I believe we were tied at 52 and then the wheels completely fell off. Sam's career night was wasted.
Without a more structured system, and more inside out offense, inconsistency is to be expected. Shooters miss, and that’s why you try to get to the basket. But you can’t always get to the basket dribbling, sometimes it has to be screens off ball to open up people.
Last edited by USUBlue on February 15th, 2018, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by bluegrouse » February 15th, 2018, 4:19 am

Sucks that we lost when we were still in it half way through the second half and I’m as unhappy with Ainge’s play as anyone but I don’t think we need to be calling our own kid a prick who as a freshman is in over his head. Criticize their play if you want but this new habit of publicly savaging our own players is a major turnoff and one of the main reasons I find Aggie athletics so much less enjoyable these days.

ratofallaggies
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by ratofallaggies » February 15th, 2018, 7:51 am

bluegrouse wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 4:19 am
Sucks that we lost when we were still in it half way through the second half and I’m as unhappy with Ainge’s play as anyone but I don’t think we need to be calling our own kid a prick who as a freshman is in over his head. Criticize their play if you want but this new habit of publicly savaging our own players is a major turnoff and one of the main reasons I find Aggie athletics so much less enjoyable these days.
Could be totally wrong but I think he's the one that got into it with the players on twitter after the game last night as well. At least he's consistent....

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » February 15th, 2018, 8:20 am

I feels like the team listens to Mr NBA Koby she starts to struggle then complains and next thing you know he is wanting to fight instead of playing basketball. The other team totally got in his head. They made him look like a junior jazz player with a temper. Blame the refs then yell at the other teams bench fight if you can. The last thing on his mind is playing basketball to koby the game is a side show. Watch me be stupid because I am that good.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 15th, 2018, 9:02 am

Wow, my opinion only, but some of you should step away from the computer keyboard and stop watching if grown (big assumption) have to call out theses guys calling them names, stupid, and calling out koby’s “manhood”. No wonder the chat and this forum are spiralling down hill in member input.

Roy McAvoy
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 269 times

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 15th, 2018, 9:28 am

I put no blame on Koby at all. New Mexico was determined to shut him down after their last game against him. Merrill is the only player who can take pressure of him and partially that reason is why things opened up for Merrill last night. There just isn't much firepower left on the team now after being depleted.

Aglicious
Site Admin
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 205 times

Post by Aglicious » February 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

swishh_15 wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 9:28 am
I put no blame on Koby at all. New Mexico was determined to shut him down after their last game against him. Merrill is the only player who can take pressure of him and partially that reason is why things opened up for Merrill last night. There just isn't much firepower left on the team now after being depleted.
Same opinion here. We have performed so much better as a team when that 3rd and 4th guy steps up and takes some of the burden off Sam and Koby. Sometimes it has been Brown or Henson or even Taylor, but somebody else needs to be a consistent influence on the offensive end for this team to perform at its best.

utaggies
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by utaggies » February 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

swishh_15 wrote:
Depleted roster? We are not depleted unless you are saying that Stall and Miller's presence would have been the difference maker last night. I don't believe Janicek has been, is or ever will be a factor. Miller was a 5 ppg freshman player before his injury. Stall averages less than half that. Our problem is not that we are depleted, it's that outside of Koby and Sam we have no dependable scorers — and maybe we're actually limited to Sam being our only dependable scorer. Regardless of how many scorers we have, our guards have to be able to get the ball to them without turning it over. That didn't happen last night. Outside of Sam, nobody took more than 5 shots. We had 23 TOs. The 10 players who got minutes last night, besides Sam, took a total of 23 shots. I don't care how many scorers we have, we cannot win games with so few shots by 90% of the team and so many TOs.
Last edited by utaggies on February 15th, 2018, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 15th, 2018, 10:07 am

utaggies wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 10:05 am
swishh_15 wrote:
Depleted roster? We are not depleted unless you are saying that Stall and Miller's presence would have been the difference maker last night. I don't believe it was. Miller was a 5 ppg freshman player before his injury. Stall averages half that. Our problem is not that we are depleted, it's that outside of Koby and Sam we have no dependable scorers — and maybe we're actually limited to Sam being our only dependable scorer. Regardless of how many scorers we have, our guards have to be able to get the ball to them without turning it over. That didn't happen last night.
Ding ding ding! There it is

oleblu111
Has liked: 314 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by oleblu111 » February 15th, 2018, 10:09 am

Did I read that right the three big's got 5 points total.

aggieguy13
Been liked: 4 times

Post by aggieguy13 » February 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Let me first start by saying this NM loss doesn't entirely fall on Koby's shoulders. I'll make it clear that's this isn't all on him.

However, nobody on this team not named Sam Merrill or Koby McEwen has been able to be an offensive threat. Just like many were saying in the chat, we have ZERO DEPTH. Not mention that pr!ck Ainge thinking he's his dad out there.

My point is simple. ChicAggie pointed this out as well. When teams double team Koby it works. We need to find a way to get that extra man open and get some easy layups from that. Or figure out a way to get some points when Koby is double teamed! Am I crazy to say this?
You're really going to double down on this after being personally called out by the players on Twitter for saying something similar last night?

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 15th, 2018, 10:54 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 10:51 am
Maverik_Aggie wrote:

You're really going to double down on this after being personally called out by the players on Twitter for saying something similar last night?
I’m here to talk about the game and the rest of my original post. Not a soap opera or something you’re highlighting. How does you saying this solve anything?

Get off your moral high ground.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 15th, 2018, 11:17 am

utaggies wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Depleted roster? We are not depleted unless you are saying that Stall and Miller's presence would have been the difference maker last night. I don't believe Janicek has been, is or ever will be a factor. Miller was a 5 ppg freshman player before his injury. Stall averages less than half that. Our problem is not that we are depleted, it's that outside of Koby and Sam we have no dependable scorers — and maybe we're actually limited to Sam being our only dependable scorer. Regardless of how many scorers we have, our guards have to be able to get the ball to them without turning it over. That didn't happen last night. Outside of Sam, nobody took more than 5 shots. We had 23 TOs. The 10 players who got minutes last night, besides Sam, took a total of 23 shots. I don't care how many scorers we have, we cannot win games with so few shots by 90% of the team and so many TOs.
When I say depleted I'm not not necessarily referring to injury. That's definitely part of it. But it could also be depleted of talent. It could be depleted of energy because of so many minutes played at this point in the year. My main point is I don't put this on Koby. He's having a lot asked of him right now.

MarioWest
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by MarioWest » February 15th, 2018, 11:24 am

utaggies wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
I agree with your point generally, but I think you're understating the impact of Miller's absence on the offense. Not saying he makes the difference in this particular game, but having an elite shooter on the floor can really open things up. As is, opponents are more or less content to let anyone but Koby or Sam shoot.

ChicAggie
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by ChicAggie » February 15th, 2018, 11:35 am

While it would be great if Koby could figure out a way to have a consistent positive impact on the outcome of a game even when the other team is keying its defense to stopping you, I generally agree that Koby bears too much of the brunt of fan criticism on this board. That said, there were some sloppy turnovers last night in Koby's column that didn't help and it would be great to see him not let some questionable foul calls get into his head. If the Ags could rely on a couple of other players consistently -- Brown, Henson, Isby, et al. -- that would make a HUGE difference. And, if the Ags had someone else competent on the bench they could play at PG when Koby needs to sit, that would also make a huge difference.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 7:51 am
Could be totally wrong but I think he's the one that got into it with the players on twitter after the game last night as well. At least he's consistent....
I don't use Twitter much. What happened on Twitter? A fan got into it with players?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 15th, 2018, 11:47 am

swishh_15 wrote:
I agree with most of what you are saying Swishh; but we are not depleted. Janicek, Stall and who knows about Miller would not have helped last night. We simply don't have enough inside presence, so teams can pressure us outside. New Mexico had about 26 more shots than us, and about 26 more points in the paint. This team just doesn't have enough going on inside or off-ball.
Last edited by USUBlue on February 15th, 2018, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by bluegrouse » February 15th, 2018, 12:03 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 4:19 am
Must of been what prompted this tweet from Coach Wilson:

NOTHING WRONG WITH FANS BEING HYPER CRITICAL OF COACHES NO MATTER HOW CLUELESS THEY MAY BE. ATTACKING PLAYERS WHO ARE AMATEURS PURSUING THEIR DREAMS, REPRESENTING THEIR SCHOOLS & COMMUNITIES TO THEIR BEST ABILITIES IS NOT JUST WRONG & CLUELESS IT IS CLASSLESS & IDIOTIC. #GETALIFE

Which I agree with 100%. I have to say I’m surprised the moderators have allowed this message to stand. I’m fine with any and all opinions and ideas but public name calling of our own kids crosses a line. Embarrassing.

NVAggie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by NVAggie » February 15th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Social media and anonymity are very dangerous when mixed with hyper-emotions. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. We have all done a very poor job of expressing our own opinions and not allowing others to express theirs.

We were all better fans when we hadn't tasted success. Now we act like the very fans that we use to hate.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 15th, 2018, 12:19 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:36 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
I don't use Twitter much. What happened on Twitter? A fan got into it with players?
a personal attack was made towards Ainge. Henson/Mcewen called him out for it. He was obviously embarrassed about it because he deleted it so I wont restate word for word.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 15th, 2018, 12:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 12:18 pm
Social media and anonymity are very dangerous when mixed with hyper-emotions. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. We have all done a very poor job of expressing our own opinions and not allowing others to express theirs.

We were all better fans when we hadn't tasted success. Now we act like the very fans that we use to hate.
If you're not willing to put your name behind it, you probably shouldn't post it to the web.

JonnyCienPesos
Been liked: 37 times

Post by JonnyCienPesos » February 15th, 2018, 12:25 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:36 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
a personal attack was made towards Ainge. Henson/Mcewen called him out for it. He was obviously embarrassed about it because he deleted it so I wont restate word for word.
I just don’t understand. If you think a player isn’t good enough to play at this level do you think it’s his fault? Of course not, should he have turned down the scholarship offered by the coaches? The player isn’t to blame here.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Donman
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Donman » February 15th, 2018, 12:32 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 10:51 am
Maverik_Aggie wrote:

I'm glad he stood up for his teammate. That's what leaders do.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 15th, 2018, 1:00 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:47 am
swishh_15 wrote:
I agree with most of what you are saying Swishh; but we are not depleted. Janicek, Stall and who knows about Miller would not have helped last night. We simply don't have enough inside presence, so teams can pressure us outside. New Mexico had about 26 more shots than us, and about 26 more points in the paint. This team just doesn't have enough going on inside or off-ball.
Sure we are. Whether it's injury or depleted in talent from lackluster recruiting, there's a depletion of talent on the bench right now to help the team out.

Madmartigan
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Madmartigan » February 15th, 2018, 1:18 pm

While I don't condone calling out players over Twitter, since when does a lion concern himself with the opinions of the sheep? To grow a thick skin and to ignore fans is part and parcel of becoming a top athlete. Fans are fickle. They love you when you're good/playing well, and dismiss you and curse you when you aren't. These are still 18-22-year-olds, but this is a good place for them to learn to tune out the distractions/haters or use it as fuel to get better. I like sticking up for your teammates, but on the court/field or in real life situations, not over social media.

We can certainly be better fans ourselves by being critical without being discourteous or resorting to name calling.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 1:00 pm
USUBlue wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:47 am
swishh_15 wrote:
Sure we are. Whether it's injury or depleted in talent from lackluster recruiting, there's a depletion of talent on the bench right now to help the team out.
If you are talking a lack of talent; I agree with us being depleted.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 15th, 2018, 1:59 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm
If you are talking a lack of talent; I agree with us being depleted.
Finally. Some common ground.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 19th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 1:18 pm
While I don't condone calling out players over Twitter, since when does a lion concern himself with the opinions of the sheep? To grow a thick skin and to ignore fans is part and parcel of becoming a top athlete. Fans are fickle. They love you when you're good/playing well, and dismiss you and curse you when you aren't. These are still 18-22-year-olds, but this is a good place for them to learn to tune out the distractions/haters or use it as fuel to get better. I like sticking up for your teammates, but on the court/field or in real life situations, not over social media.

We can certainly be better fans ourselves by being critical without being discourteous or resorting to name calling.
Interesting to see nobody say anything on this. It gives a good sample of Aggie fans. People act like they know everything on here. A lot of Aggie fans are so fake and love to stroke athletes egos on Twitter. I praise good and point it out when I see it, but I’m not afraid to share the negative if it’s there.

Koby and Henson love this ego stroking. They’re not at all leaders of this team. Sam is the only leader of this team, that’s obvious to me. That’s exactly why after Koby’s poor performance at NM he searched his twitter mentions and lashed out at me. Keep in mind I did NOT tag Koby or anybody. If our supposed “leader” goes straight to his Twitter mentions after a bad performance for ego stroking that’s a major problem and it means his head is in the wrong place. Also, players should never interact with fans negatively on Twitter. Extremely unprofessional. If you can’t admit this, you’re probably just a homer.

You won’t find evidence of this because Koby deleted his tweets. After he deleted his tweets he then blocked me. Nice to know what kind of person he is. So hilarious! Thin skin. Grow a pair, Koby.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 19th, 2018, 6:04 pm

It's always best to search for and get stroked by posting tweets. Way to man up behind a keyboard. It's fun to be so free to post your inner self.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 19th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Koby is the least of our problems. Well SM is the least of our problems, but overall I'm happy with what Koby has given us. Without him we'd be in even more trouble than we are currently.

Locked Previous topicNext topic