Why no mention of Randy Bennett?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FeartheFro

Why no mention of Randy Bennett?

Post by FeartheFro » March 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Can we not afford to go after him? Seems like the type of environment and situation he would be interested in. With all the talk of conference expansion, seems like a great time to join in. He has to be miffed about being left out. Step up and go after him!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Why no mention of Randy Bennett?

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 1:13 pm

He has turned down more high profile jobs that pay more than what we will be paying.

Although I do wonder if Gonzaga is leaving the MW if it makes Bennett consider leaving St Mary's now.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 12th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I am one who thinks we can obviously hire better than the likes of Tim Duryea but I see the likelihood of hiring or even interviewing Randy Bennett as very doubtful. He makes very good money and now he can be the big dog in the conference now that Gonzaga might not be there much longer. But it would be awesome if something like that happened for us.

Regulator of Class

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 12th, 2018, 1:29 pm

One issue to motivate Bennet to leave SMC is this year's NCAA tourney snub. One of the main reasons they got snubbed was their strength of schedule. Or lack thereof. The WCC will never help that, especially if Gonzaga leaves. I don't know that he would ever come here, but without Gonzaga, that is a nasty conference.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 12th, 2018, 1:37 pm

I want Bennett just so every thread turns into a “pick up the phone” and “hats in the mall” thread.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:29 pm
One issue to motivate Bennet to leave SMC is this year's NCAA tourney snub. One of the main reasons they got snubbed was their strength of schedule. Or lack thereof. The WCC will never help that, especially if Gonzaga leaves. I don't know that he would ever come here, but without Gonzaga, that is a nasty conference.
He has been left out of the tournament 2 out of 3 years despite going 27-5 and 28-5. If Gonzaga leaves the conference is not much better than the Wac or Big West. I absolutely don't expect him to come, but I also don't think he stays at St Marys forever.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 12th, 2018, 1:41 pm

On the other side, if Gonzaga leaves that automatic bid from the WCC becomes that much easier to get. He could continue his same scheduling philosophy but make more tournament appearances.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 12th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I mentioned Bennett in the "legit candidates for HC" thread....mainly for the reasons already listed above. Between the possibility of Gonzaga leaving and now being snubbed in 2004 Aggie fashion from the NCAA Tourney perhaps it has opened his mind up to possible changes. Does he want to stay in a depleted WCC and become the new king? The WCC was the #13 rated conference with Gonzaga and would be destined to fall out of the top 20 conferences without them.

When the Aggies went through the same snub, we were hopeful that a jump to the WAC would help remedy that ever happening to us again. That hope and eventual reality I think helped Stew stay put. St. Mary's has no such hope. They do not sponsor football (which really drives the bus) and they are not Gonzaga in basketball so their options are limited. Their school profile actually matches the WCC institutions rather nicely.

The one downside to Bennett is his age. He is 55 and may only be in this game 5 more years. Not that we need to guarantee 10+ years with the next hire but the potential for longevity should weigh into the decision, even if it's only a very small part.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

It's been reported St. Mary's turned down games with Creighton, Nevada, & Rhode Island. He didn't miss the tournament because he's stuck in the WCC. He missed the tournament because of his refusal to play anyone. I don't think his want to get out of the WCC where they would have a better schedule would be a reason he would jump to USU.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm
It's been reported St. Mary's turned down games with Creighton, Nevada, & Rhode Island. He didn't miss the tournament because he's stuck in the WCC. He missed the tournament because of his refusal to play anyone. I don't think his want to get out of the WCC where they would have a better schedule would be a reason he would jump to USU.
This exactly. In OOC play they never left the state of California. If you don't include the tournament they played in, they never left the bay area. They had good offers from solid teams for home and home deals and turned them down. Rhode Island even agreed to play in California first. I believe they also bought out a road game at Grand Canyon this year. It's very hard to schedule good games as a mid-major but Bennett has turned down every opportunity he had to make their schedule better. They also lost to the P5 teams they played this year. Wazzu and Georgia were both average P5's and they lost to both.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I'm not saying they deserved to get in, I'm saying he felt they deserved to get in and probably is not happy with going 27-5 two years ago and 28-5 this year and being left out. I remember our 03-04 team. We played a soft schedule, but Stew absolutely believed we should have been in the tournament and was quite upset about not getting in.

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » March 12th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Bennett just signed a new 10 year contract and if Gonzaga leaves, St. Mary's will end up in the tournament pretty much every year he's there with his Aussie assistant. He's not going anywhere.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » March 12th, 2018, 2:34 pm

On the subject of St. Mary's snub, I was curious how their resume compared to the year USU was ranked and snubbed from an at-large birth. Anywhere to pull historical end of season RPI's?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 12th, 2018, 2:44 pm

tkmad wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 2:34 pm
On the subject of St. Mary's snub, I was curious how their resume compared to the year USU was ranked and snubbed from an at-large birth. Anywhere to pull historical end of season RPI's?
I just looked at KenPom. Saint Mary's ranks 28th right now while USU finished that year at 47. Saint Mary's also had a tougher SOS with 172 compared to 224. OOC though, USU had an SOS of 242 (pretty weak) while Saint Mary's had it even worse at 285. USU only left the state one time in OOC that year and that was to play @ Idaho State.

Looking at RPI, Saint Mary's is currently at 40 while USU finished the year at 47 so it's a lot closer there.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 12th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I don't get ASU getting an at large over St. Mary's or even USC. I get that they win some good games but shouldn't who you lose to come into play at some point.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

tkmad

Post by tkmad » March 13th, 2018, 8:53 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 2:44 pm
tkmad wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 2:34 pm
I just looked at KenPom. Saint Mary's ranks 28th right now while USU finished that year at 47. Saint Mary's also had a tougher SOS with 172 compared to 224. OOC though, USU had an SOS of 242 (pretty weak) while Saint Mary's had it even worse at 285. USU only left the state one time in OOC that year and that was to play @ Idaho State.

Looking at RPI, Saint Mary's is currently at 40 while USU finished the year at 47 so it's a lot closer there.
Thanks for the info. In most ways, sounds like St. Mary's was a bigger snub than USU was. I was on my mission during the USU debacle so I didn't follow it. I thought I remember hearing that USU was the highest ranked something to ever miss the tournament (AP rank?)... sounds like that may no longer be the case.

Prior to selection Sunday this year, I reviewed St. Mary's resume and couldn't figure out why so many brackets had St. Mary's in as an at large. I'm sure I would have been livid when USU was left out had I been around, so I guess my view of what is a tournament worthy team has changed substantially over the last few years.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2018, 9:59 am

You also need to compare those who got in verses the snubs.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog » March 13th, 2018, 10:38 am

Randy Bennett makes very good money at St. Mary's. The funny thing is when is on the Radio here he sounds a lot like Stew. Teams won't play us type stuff.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog » March 13th, 2018, 10:44 am

Randy Bennett makes very good money at St. Mary's. The funny thing is when is on the Radio here he sounds a lot like Stew. Teams won't play us type stuff.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 13th, 2018, 10:52 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:29 pm
He has been left out of the tournament 2 out of 3 years despite going 27-5 and 28-5. If Gonzaga leaves the conference is not much better than the Wac or Big West. I absolutely don't expect him to come, but I also don't think he stays at St Marys forever.
With Gonzaga gone his record goes from 27-5 every year to 29-3 or 30-2 and an auto bid cakewalk through the MWC, with the occasional loss to BYU if they both make the final.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 13th, 2018, 11:27 am

Bigdog wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 10:38 am
He says that but it's well documented that he's turned down a lot of quality games. Last year he turned down a home and home with Nevada, Creighton and Rhode Island (all 3 of which are pretty high seeds in the NCAA tournament this year). He also bought our a return game to a decent Grand Canyon team. To make matters even worse, they just pulled out of the Diamond Head Classic for next year. Bennett likes to claim that no one will play them but he takes it a step further than Stew did. He just wants games in California. He won't take a home and home with a good team.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 13th, 2018, 1:52 pm

If I were St. Mary's right now, I'd be optimistic about the future. Being the best team in a bad conference isn't all bad. You're going to make the NCAA tournament much more often than comparable G5 teams in conferences where competition is stiffer and if you can catch a break and get to the sweet 16 once or twice, you can build something special.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 13th, 2018, 2:18 pm

RB would not be on my top ten list. I hope he isn't interviewed.

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » March 13th, 2018, 2:28 pm

If I was Randy Bennett, or any other coach in the WCC right now, I would be very concerned about funding going forward. The main reason that Gonzaga wants out of the WCC is because they are the only school bringing in significant revenue, yet every school is taking an equal share of the pie. Without Gonzaga bringing home the paycheck, will these other schools have the financial resources to pay their current and forecasted obligations? Will there be resources available to improve facilities or give raises to coaches? How much will Bennett's environment at SMC change without the money that Gonzaga has brought in? I would say that every coach in the WCC should be weighing his options right now, regardless of his current contract.

Locked Previous topicNext topic