Tauriawn Knight

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Re: Tauriawn Knight

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 26th, 2018, 9:34 am

ProfessorChaos wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 5:24 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Given a choice between bashing an Aggie student-athlete and not saying anything at all, well, I'd probably choose the latter. That's just me though.
Good luck getting a message board of fans who watch their team religiously to not ever say anything negative about players. Just isn't a realistic goal. When a player doesn't play well fans are going to talk about it. Just the way it is.
And what about a player like Jalen Moore? A guy who had an absolutely fantastic career at USU, but if you go off the vocal majority of people on this board, he was somehow a disappointment. Labeled as a soft player who never reached some imaginary unreachable potential that those around here thought he SHOULD be, so he got based for it for the bulk of his playing career.

Koby Mcewen comes here and has two fantastic seasons, but even before his transfer announcement, the bulk of the talk on him is about how he's "selfish, not a leader, immature, etc". Narratives that come out of nowhere and snowball into acceptance as if they were common knowledge about the kid.

I used to think behavior like that toward college athletes was limited to a place like Cougarboard, but it's become the norm around here too the last handful of years.

Main point being, don't be s***ty to other people.
I dispute that the "bulk of the talk" about Koby was things you identified. There were maybe 2-3 posters who said that. I've strongly stood behind Koby and am complete agreement with you about him. I think he was absolutely great and will be sorely missed.

The Ainge instance was completely different. It's a valuable scholarship we need with someone who can play at a D1 level. It's been evident all along Ainge doesn't have the skills, athleticism, or body to do so. I don't blame Smith for not counseling him out. It's pretty hard to do that when you've never even coached a kid. He should keep him for at least this year. I blame Duryea for it. I also know Ainge was trying to transfer, but I guess it turned out he had no takers.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 26th, 2018, 11:00 am

I don't know why we're talking about Ainge. I don't think this will even be an issue in a couple months.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 26th, 2018, 11:03 am

treesap32 wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 11:00 am
I don't know why we're talking about Ainge. I don't think this will even be an issue in a couple months.
Agreed.
I'd much rather turn our attention to guys who will be playing like Knight and potential PG signings.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 26th, 2018, 4:00 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm
The staff is recruiting another PG named Knight, John Knight from SW Mississippi JC. He's a freshman full qualifier so he'd be eligible to play the coming season. Don't know if we've offered but he's also being recruited by St. Bonaventure and New Mexico. Not sure how to post a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJhd-YndfE
Thanks the info! I like this kid a lot and think he'd be a very solid pick up at this point. Hopefully the fact that the starting job would basically be his to lose will help lure him.
I like this kid too and he has sure mastered the spin move! Hard to tell if he’s much of an outside threat but he is aggressive, quick, sees the floor, can elevate, and has a good handle. I think he’d fit real nice with Smith’s system. Let’s go get him coach!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » April 26th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Although Ainge didn’t show us much on the floor, he also returned from a mission just days before the team went to Italy. He was not just rusty from not playing competitively but also had to learn the system (in retrospect maybe there really was not a system but at least had to know what our philosophy was). Having not played at all and just getting home he was thrown into the Weber game when Koby turned his ankle and didn’t do well. I’m not sure that didn’t hurt his confidence for the season. I don’t really know if he is a D1 player but I don’t think last year was a fair analysis of his game, so I am willing to give him a fair shake if Coach Smith thinks he’s good enough to stay

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » April 30th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 4:45 pm
Although Ainge didn’t show us much on the floor, he also returned from a mission just days before the team went to Italy. He was not just rusty from not playing competitively but also had to learn the system (in retrospect maybe there really was not a system but at least had to know what our philosophy was). Having not played at all and just getting home he was thrown into the Weber game when Koby turned his ankle and didn’t do well. I’m not sure that didn’t hurt his confidence for the season. I don’t really know if he is a D1 player but I don’t think last year was a fair analysis of his game, so I am willing to give him a fair shake if Coach Smith thinks he’s good enough to stay
First on Knight, we'll need someone to help in the 1-2 spots with Sam so whatever role he can fill will be helpful. If he's quick and has some sound basketball habits he will do fine for us. Certainly among those happy to welcome him on in.

Now to the sub-thread topic lol.

This is a very interesting take on it and after reflecting on it I think this is my actual attitude toward him. I wasn't sure it was fair to be down on him so hard for playing as effectively as he did (yes that also goes for ineffective play). I appreciate that someone else could put it into words.

I will say that if it's true that he has an "I'm special and you're not respecting how special I am" attitude then that would greatly temper my opinion of him.

Thank you for your reasonable opinion regarding his situation. Now be prepared to be burned at the stake.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 30th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Three-point shooting is not an essential skill for a PG. If a point can hit 1 out of 3 from the three-point line, that is okay by me - anything above that is a bonus. The more important skills: ball handling, ability to break a full-court press, ability to penetrate and get into the key, passing ability, and free throw shooting at a high percentage. Ideally, the PG will have the ball in his hands at the ends of games and he should be able to hit the foul pitches at a high rate (85% plus).

Eutaw St. Aggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 30th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:Three-point shooting is not an essential skill for a PG. If a point can hit 1 out of 3 from the three-point line, that is okay by me - anything above that is a bonus. The more important skills: ball handling, ability to break a full-court press, ability to penetrate and get into the key, passing ability, and free throw shooting at a high percentage. Ideally, the PG will have the ball in his hands at the ends of games and he should be able to hit the foul pitches at a high rate (85% plus).
It’s not the 90’s, gotta be able to shoot the three now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Yossarian wrote:Three-point shooting is not an essential skill for a PG. If a point can hit 1 out of 3 from the three-point line, that is okay by me - anything above that is a bonus. The more important skills: ball handling, ability to break a full-court press, ability to penetrate and get into the key, passing ability, and free throw shooting at a high percentage. Ideally, the PG will have the ball in his hands at the ends of games and he should be able to hit the foul pitches at a high rate (85% plus).
It’s not the 90’s, gotta be able to shoot the three now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. These days teams have guys at the 2, 3, 4, and even 5 positions jacking up threes. This spreads the floor, opens up the key and makes lanes for a point guard to take his guy off the dribble and get to the basket if he is quick enough and can handle the ball. It's now a penetrate and dish, dribble hand-off type, shoot a corner three type of game. You need a guy that can get around the first line of defense off the dribble to force the defense's hand. This guy doesn't necessarily need to be a proficient 3-point shooter, just good enough to hit a few every now and then.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 1st, 2018, 12:30 pm

So any word on the John Knight juco pg that also popped up in this thread? Has he committed anywhere and do we still have him in our sights? I thought he would fill our void nicely.

Locked Previous topicNext topic