Knight III signs

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Socrates2121
Posts: 1669
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Location: Logan, UT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Knight III signs

Post by Socrates2121 » May 5th, 2018, 1:33 pm

John Knight III has officially signed with USU.

PG out of Southwest MS CC.

This is big.


Bulls On Parade

TrueAG
Posts: 967
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by TrueAG » May 5th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Based on the highlights, he looks strong, athletic and long. Could be a great get.



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 373
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by ThunderAggie » May 5th, 2018, 1:44 pm



I like his tape! Very athletic and good scorer. Good job Smith!



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2448
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by GUS » May 5th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Just need another experienced big and we should be okay.



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2285
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Kearney, NE
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 5th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Sweet! I think this is a great fit. He's going to be a fun one to watch. His highlights actually reminded me of a smaller Spida Mitchell. He really seems to be a strong finisher around the rim.

PROS:

1. He is really athletic
2. A great driver and finisher (and gets to the line a lot: 43rd in JUCO nation)
3. He led the JUCO nation in blocks per game for a PG (2.4 per game... 49th for any position)
4. Seems to really hustle
5. 3 years of eligibility, I think

CONS:

1. He's a terrible 3 PT shooter (26%) and barely shoots them (thankfully) and teams give him shooting space when he's outside the 3 PT arc
2. 1.3 assist to turnover ratio (632nd in JUCO nation)


SOURCE: http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/di ... ghtiii0db3 + the above highlight video


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ChicagoAggie
Posts: 1099
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:13 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by ChicagoAggie » May 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:Sweet! I think this is a great fit. He's going to be a fun one to watch. His highlights actually reminded me of a smaller Spida Mitchell. He really seems to be a strong finisher around the rim.

PROS:

1. He is really athletic
2. A great driver and finisher (and gets to the line a lot: 43rd in JUCO nation)
3. He led the JUCO nation in blocks per game for a PG (2.4 per game... 49th for any position)
4. Seems to really hustle
5. 3 years of eligibility, I think

CONS:

1. He's a terrible 3 PT shooter (26%) and barely shoots them (thankfully) and teams give him shooting space when he's outside the 3 PT arc
2. 1.3 assist to turnover ratio (632nd in JUCO nation)


SOURCE: http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/di ... ghtiii0db3 + the above highlight video
Good stuff Rufio. Interested how his assist to turnover ratio compares to Koby, while he was here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



BleedAggieBlue0
2013-14 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 2420
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » May 5th, 2018, 4:31 pm

IMO he looks to be an instant upgrade from Koby. But that will depend on Smith’s coaching ability and Knight’s willingness to buy in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by dyedblue » May 5th, 2018, 4:37 pm

If he's somewhere between Donnovan Mitchell and Koby McKewen them we are going to be great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ChicagoAggie
Posts: 1099
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:13 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by ChicagoAggie » May 5th, 2018, 4:50 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:IMO he looks to be an instant upgrade from Koby. But that will depend on Smith’s coaching ability and Knight’s willingness to buy in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sure he has already bought in by committing but I get your point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 5th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Great looking addition. I hope he fits in well. Nice to see us beat out New Mexico for a recruit. Knight and Knight will rule the Spectrum nights!



bluegrouse
Posts: 2825
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by bluegrouse » May 5th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Two Knights on the team now. Would Bobby Knight would like to be head assistant coach?




bluegrouse
Posts: 2825
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by bluegrouse » May 5th, 2018, 6:05 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 4:37 pm
If he's somewhere between Donnovan Mitchell and Koby McKewen them we are going to be great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, no kidding. That’s a pretty high bar. I’ll be very happy if he is even somewhat close to Koby’s equivalent but it doesn’t look like he shoots the 3 well and his assist to turnover ratio gives me pause for a PG - both of which Koby was very good at, not to mention the potential rookie of the year in the NBA. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good get. He looks good on tape and maybe he’ll end up being great. I’m just not about to compare him to Koby yet, let alone Donovan Mitchell.



cval
Posts: 931
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Knight III signs

Post by cval » May 5th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Looks good and I am glad to see him sign, but not sure I would call him an instant upgrade from Koby.

That's pretty high expectations.



Donald_Sullivan
Posts: 151
Joined: December 10th, 2017, 8:11 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Donald_Sullivan » May 5th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Impressive athlete. He really gets up there and does it quickly. We've had some 6'2" players over the years who could do that, but only a few who do it that well. That part of his game reminds me of LeRoy Walker who was only 6 ft but dunked a lot. It'll be interesting to see how Smith uses him. A good signing this late, especially if the staff can help him improve his 3 point.

Looks like we beat U of Buffalo for him.



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1508
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Jjoey53 » May 5th, 2018, 7:47 pm

St Bonaventure wanted him also. Good get, but no Koby comparisons please.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2285
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Kearney, NE
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 5th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I thought we couldn’t get black recruits because we don’t have black coaches?? ;)


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Donald_Sullivan
Posts: 151
Joined: December 10th, 2017, 8:11 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Donald_Sullivan » May 5th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 7:47 pm
St Bonaventure wanted him also. Good get, but no Koby comparisons please.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right. It was St. Bonaventure, not Buffalo.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by USUBlue » May 5th, 2018, 11:42 pm

cval wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Looks good and I am glad to see him sign, but not sure I would call him an instant upgrade from Koby.

That's pretty high expectations.
I actually think he will be better than Koby. I didn’t think Koby made his teammates better, And I think Koby could be taken out of games by trying to force too much.I think this kid will be better



Usurossco
Posts: 228
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Usurossco » May 5th, 2018, 11:50 pm

If Koby is the mark to compare a kid to you might want to consider never being better than 17 and 17. Koby had two full years to prove he could be a game changer. I think he tried but the record says he didn’t make much difference in our record. I wish we would stop talking about someone who quit his team but sold he was a very committed and loyal person. Koby is gone he will never play in the NBA mark that down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



stang
Posts: 119
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by stang » May 6th, 2018, 12:00 am

Usurossco wrote:If Koby is the mark to compare a kid to you might want to consider never being better than 17 and 17. Koby had two full years to prove he could be a game changer. I think he tried but the record says he didn’t make much difference in our record. I wish we would stop talking about someone who quit his team but sold he was a very committed and loyal person. Koby is gone he will never play in the NBA mark that down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, because a team with an inept coach and by most on this board’s estimation 3-4 other MW-caliber players finishing 17-17 was Koby’s fault. The guy who was the leader of the team and was on top in most statistical categories was the reason they stunk, not because Brito, Porter and Ainge all played meaningful minutes. It wasn’t because of all of the other factors which you’ve spend so much time bitching and moaning about.

I’d hate to see what you’re like to an ex after they break your heart. People like you make the entire Aggie fan base look bad.



Usurossco
Posts: 228
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Usurossco » May 6th, 2018, 12:41 am

Sure and you bring up Koby everyday. It sure seems like you are dating him or something. I said along time ago move on. I am happily married I don’t need you I promise that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



bluegrouse
Posts: 2825
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by bluegrouse » May 6th, 2018, 1:26 am

Usurossco wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 11:50 pm
If Koby is the mark to compare a kid to you might want to consider never being better than 17 and 17. Koby had two full years to prove he could be a game changer. I think he tried but the record says he didn’t make much difference in our record. I wish we would stop talking about someone who quit his team but sold he was a very committed and loyal person. Koby is gone he will never play in the NBA mark that down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without Koby, we are very likely the last place team in the conference - yes, even behind SJSU. Koby was not the cause of our 17-17. He had very little support on the court (Sam being the obvious exception) and very little good coaching/player development.



utaggies
Posts: 3138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by utaggies » May 6th, 2018, 2:59 am

bluegrouse wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 1:26 am
Usurossco wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 11:50 pm
If Koby is the mark to compare a kid to you might want to consider never being better than 17 and 17. Koby had two full years to prove he could be a game changer. I think he tried but the record says he didn’t make much difference in our record. I wish we would stop talking about someone who quit his team but sold he was a very committed and loyal person. Koby is gone he will never play in the NBA mark that down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without Koby, we are very likely the last place team in the conference - yes, even behind SJSU. Koby was not the cause of our 17-17. He had very little support on the court (Sam being the obvious exception) and very little good coaching/player development.
I believe Koby WAS the cause of our 17-17 team. Without him we would have been much worse.



User avatar
ProfessorChaos
Posts: 457
Joined: September 3rd, 2011, 3:46 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by ProfessorChaos » May 6th, 2018, 3:11 am

Usurossco wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 11:50 pm
If Koby is the mark to compare a kid to you might want to consider never being better than 17 and 17. Koby had two full years to prove he could be a game changer. I think he tried but the record says he didn’t make much difference in our record. I wish we would stop talking about someone who quit his team but sold he was a very committed and loyal person. Koby is gone he will never play in the NBA mark that down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of quitting, you should quit sports takes because you are unbelievably horrible at them.

What player do you think would WANT to play for somebody like you??



Blitz79
Posts: 1090
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Blitz79 » May 6th, 2018, 6:14 am

Have we seen this kid play one game for us to be making this kind of comparisons?



Aggiestyle
Posts: 410
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:25 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Aggiestyle » May 6th, 2018, 7:26 am

Regarding his being a poor 3-pt shooter, 5/19 is a pretty small sample. Certainly not a big enough sample to base a conclusion on.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2825
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by bluegrouse » May 6th, 2018, 7:34 am

Aggiestyle wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 7:26 am
Regarding his being a poor 3-pt shooter, 5/19 is a pretty small sample. Certainly not a big enough sample to base a conclusion on.
Good point - although if he was really good at them, he probably would have taken a lot more. Maybe Smith can coach him up...



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4821
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 276 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 6th, 2018, 8:33 am

I'm ecstatic about this pickup at this point. Count me in the camp of people who find unfair to Knight that people are going to be constantly making comparisons to Koby. Koby was really good and helped us win a lot of games last year. Let Knight be himself and his own type of player.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on May 6th, 2018, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 6th, 2018, 8:41 am

So we get this Knight for 3 years and the other for 4 years right?



Donald_Sullivan
Posts: 151
Joined: December 10th, 2017, 8:11 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by Donald_Sullivan » May 6th, 2018, 9:14 am

Yes, and both have a rs year available



mcaggie1
Posts: 2458
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by mcaggie1 » May 6th, 2018, 9:31 am

Yes, Koby was selfish. Yes, he didn't make his team mates better. Yes, he didn't lead us to the upper realms of the MWC. I get that.
BUT, I pose this question..... How would things have turned out with Koby had he been coached by someone who knew what he was doing? Just sayin'.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 6th, 2018, 9:47 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 9:31 am
Yes, Koby was selfish. Yes, he didn't make his team mates better. Yes, he didn't lead us to the upper realms of the MWC. I get that.
BUT, I pose this question..... How would things have turned out with Koby had he been coached by someone who knew what he was doing? Just sayin'.
This.

And now could we all agree to move on from any discussion of Koby or Timmy going forward? Both topics are toxic to any discussion and any relationship on this board.



nswaggie
Posts: 400
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by nswaggie » May 6th, 2018, 9:51 am

mcaggie1 wrote:Yes, Koby was selfish. Yes, he didn't make his team mates better. Yes, he didn't lead us to the upper realms of the MWC. I get that.
BUT, I pose this question..... How would things have turned out with Koby had he been coached by someone who knew what he was doing? Just sayin'.
We will find out over the next 3 years.



dogie
Posts: 2873
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by dogie » May 6th, 2018, 10:20 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 8:41 am
So we get this Knight for 3 years and the other for 4 years right?
Can you imagine what this would do to Rod Tueller if he were still on the broadcast team?



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Knight III signs

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 6th, 2018, 11:05 am

dogie wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 10:20 am
[quote=hipsterdoofus21 post_id=519729 time=<a href="tel:1525617702">1525617702</a> user_id=243]
So we get this Knight for 3 years and the other for 4 years right?
Can you imagine what this would do to Rod Tueller if he were still on the broadcast team?
[/quote]
Al Lewis-“And now it’ll be Knight checking in for the first time for Knight.”
Tueller-“...whaaaa??....”Image



Locked Previous topicNext topic