Overhyped Busts

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicAggie

Overhyped Busts

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm

I was just thinking about Matt Lopez today and how there were certain posters and people who seemed to know Matt who thought he was going to be FANTASTIC for the Ags. Of course, he wasn't . . . .

Other recent recruits who entered the program with high expectations only to flame out or under perform (for various reasons) include:

Elston Jones
Marcel Davis
Jordan Stone
Quincy Bair
Riley Bradshaw
James Walker
Modou Niang (okay, maybe it was only me who wishfully hoped he was going to do great things . . . .)
Brayden Bell
Nick Hammer
Marques Crane

Others? Discuss . . . .

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

IdaAg93

Re: Overhyped Busts

Post by IdaAg93 » June 26th, 2018, 12:48 pm

ChicAggie wrote:I was just thinking about Matt Lopez today and how there were certain posters and people who seemed to know Matt who thought he was going to be FANTASTIC for the Ags. Of course, he wasn't . . . .

Other recent recruits who entered the program with high expectations only to flame out or under perform (for various reasons) include:

Elston Jones
Marcel Davis
Jordan Stone
Quincy Bair
Riley Bradshaw
James Walker
Modou Niang (okay, maybe it was only me who wishfully hoped he was going to do great things . . . .)
Brayden Bell
Nick Hammer
Marques Crane

Others? Discuss . . . .
No thank you. It’s a part of every program and the nature of athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 12:48 pm
No thank you. It’s a part of every program and the nature of athletics.
Seriously!?!! So what you're telling me is that USU isn't the only program to have hyped players come in and underperform!?!! Thank you for enlightening me.

The purpose of the post wasn't to throw stones at the Aggie program or these players, but to have something to talk about during a slow season. Feel free to ignore the post if you do not find it interesting or worthwhile for Aggie fans to discuss.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I just finished reading an article about continuing sexism associated with the World Cup, including all those "hottest World Cup fans" picture series that go around. I think due to that I misinterpreted your topic title.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » June 26th, 2018, 1:00 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm
I just finished reading an article about continuing sexism associated with the World Cup, including all those "hottest World Cup fans" picture series that go around. I think due to that I misinterpreted your topic title.
I don't know what you're talking about BBD; without pictures, I just can't imagine. :cool2:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 26th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Many of those were not supposed to be big time players. James Walker III is probably the only one that had serious hype of being great. The others were letdowns, but I don't think there was any expectation they would set the world on fire.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 26th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Malloy "Da Future" Nesmith
Jarobi Kemp
Dan Stewart
Andre Mahorn
Thomas Vincent
Lemar Gayle
Arvydas Vaitiekus
Steve Cobbley
Aaron England
Michael Earl
Richard Sirju
Antonio Bumpas
Marvin Jean
JoJo McGlaston
Ngor Barnaba
DeAngelo Isby

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 1:05 pm
Many of those were not supposed to be big time players. James Walker III is probably the only one that had serious hype of being great. The others were letdowns, but I don't think there was any expectation they would set the world on fire.
Walker may have been the most hyped of the bunch, but expectations were high for all of them. I believe some thought Marcel Davis would "set the world on fire," and there was hope that the others would contribute in a meaningful way as well. Hard to know if that is just poor scouting, unreasonable expectations, poor coaching, or some combination of things.

Lemar Gayle. :disappointed: What might have been . . . .

What was the name of that JC All American who, I believe, committed, then de-committed and went to UMass? Love?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Walker may have been the most hyped of the bunch, but expectations were high for all of them. I believe some thought Marcel Davis would "set the world on fire," and there was hope that the others would contribute in a meaningful way as well. Hard to know if that is just poor scouting, unreasonable expectations, poor coaching, or some combination of things.

What was the name of that JC All American who, I believe, committed, then de-committed and went to UMass? Love?
Close. James Life.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » June 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm

James Life...ChicAggie

Michael Earl was a big disappointment....we need a quality big and he was well regarded coming out of JC.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Chupamedia

Overhyped Busts

Post by Chupamedia » June 26th, 2018, 4:21 pm

What if we had a topic about players that over performed? I’m not sure if being an Aggie fan makes you so negative or if you’re an Aggie fan because you are negative. (I am using “you” as a general Aggie fan you, not a specific person or poster on this board)

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 26th, 2018, 8:27 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Maybe Bell could also be counted because people were excited a guy from Ohio State transferred here. For the others I don't remember there being a ton of hype. I guess there are various levels of hype. I agree those guys were letdowns. Marcel Davis had a good high school career, but I didn't see the hype surrounding him that was around Walker III and then Koby a few years later.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 4:21 pm
What if we had a topic about players that over performed?
If only there were a way to start such a thread . . . .

I'll get you started. Players who I thought "over delivered" during my years as an Aggie fan include Jaycee Carroll, Greg Grant, Kendall Youngblood, Nate Harris, Gary Wilkinson, Jay Goodman, Preston Medlin, Jared Quayle, Tai Wesley, Spencer Nelson, Eric Franson, Vince Washington, Kevin Nixon, Marcus Saxon, Silas Mills, Desmond Penigar, Shawn Daniels, Brockeith Pane, Bernard Rock, Sam Merrill, Tony Brown, David Collette (for that one season . . . but he's dead to me), Brady Jardine (but for the injury . . . .), Lance Washington, Brian Green, Spencer Butterfield, and Reid Newey
Chupamedia wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 4:21 pm
I’m not sure if being an Aggie fan makes you so negative or if you’re an Aggie fan because you are negative. (I am using “you” as a general Aggie fan you, not a specific person or poster on this board)
I started this because I had been thinking specifically about Matt Lopez. A new poster joined the forum when Lopez transferred here raving about him and how great he would be for us. Yeah, I know I should take such things with a grain of salt, but as an Aggie fan, I am actually unduly optimistic about how players will perform for the Ags, so I had hoped Lopez was going to be our savior in the middle. Indeed, this thread highlights the fact that maybe I and some other Aggie fans are too unrealistically POSITIVE about how good players are going to be, latching onto the slightest indication that a player is going to be successful, which leads inevitably to disappointment when players do not live up to expectations. Indeed, it may be the most positive fans who become most disappointed because their expectations are higher than they should be. I think it's probably the negative fans who come on the board accusing other fans of being "so negative." At least that's my take . . . . ;)

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 8:33 pm

June 26th, 2018, 8:27 pm
Marcel Davis had a good high school career, but I didn't see the hype surrounding him that was around Walker III and then Koby a few years later.
Were you on this forum at the time? Marcel's Pump 'n Run team was competing and winning at the national level, and he was one of the stars of that team. Many posters were speculating that he could become the greatest PG in Aggie history. At least that's my recollection. I hadn't seen him play, but some of the "scouts" on the board seemed to believe he was going to be VERY good.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Maybe Bell could also be counted because people were excited a guy from Ohio State transferred here.
It wasn't that he was coming from Ohio State, it was that he was a 4 star recruit (I believe) when he signed with Ohio State and many seemed to believe he could be a true star here. C'est la vie.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 26th, 2018, 8:38 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 8:33 pm
Marcel Davis had a good high school career, but I didn't see the hype surrounding him that was around Walker III and then Koby a few years later.
Were you on this forum at the time? Marcel's Pump 'n Run team was competing and winning at the national level, and he was one of the stars of that team. Many posters were speculating that he could become the greatest PG in Aggie history. At least that's my recollection. I hadn't seen him play, but some of the "scouts" on the board seemed to believe he was going to be VERY good.
No and I guess this is where there would be hype for that many players. The players that got hype that reached even the "common Aggie fan" who isn't on this site or on social media this decade that I saw people go bananas about were Walker III, Jalen Moore, Shaw, Collette, Koby and Merrill.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 26th, 2018, 9:10 pm

I actually thought there was a LOT more hype on this board for Marcel than there was for Merrill.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » June 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm

I don't think the majority of folks on the list got that much hype. Not seeing it.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » June 26th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Definitely more hype for marvel. Crane was very hyped.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 27th, 2018, 10:40 am

gomretat wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm
I don't think the majority of folks on the list got that much hype. Not seeing it.
Maybe I should have been clearer: these players were "overhyped" compared to what they actually did for the Ags. And, for some guys like Niang for example, the "hype" may have been more "hope" than anything.

Remember that we weren't sure what we had in Niang, but he did come over from Japan as the top center two years in a row in the National High School Championships; during his senior season he led the nation in scoring at 32.3 points, to go along with 18.7 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 3.6 blocks per game while shooting 74.7% from the field. He had high games of 51 points and 40 rebounds. While we all recognized that HS ball in Japan is a bit different than HS ball in, say, Chicago, there was some hope that he could be a diamond in the rough who could really shine for the Ags. Didn't happen. Obviously.

Some hoped/speculated that Bradhaw could be a small-state hidden gem a la Jaycee Carroll. In HS, Bradshaw earned the MVP of his Conference three times, he was a three-time all-state and super all-state selection, and a four-time first-team all-conference member. He led his conference in scoring and assists in each of his four years of high school and as a senior averaged 24.1 points, 7.1 assists, 6.2 rebounds, and 2.0 steals per game while shooting 53.8% from the field, 38% from three-point range, and 80.6% at the free throw line. So, yeah, there were expectations that he would be far more than a complete bust.

Ditto for others on the list.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 27th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Drew Barrymore. End of discussion.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 27th, 2018, 10:29 pm

gomretat wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm
Nope. Very few had serious hype. Like I said, I can see there being various levels of hype and a difference between "message board hype" compared to hype beyond avid Aggie fans. A guy like Koby is someone who got real hype that extended to the rest of the conference.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 27th, 2018, 11:15 pm

David Letterman would like a word.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 28th, 2018, 10:15 am

NVAggie wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 11:15 pm
David Letterman would like a word.
David has a history of poor judgment.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am

Marcus Crane, Lemar Gayle, Charles Smith (anybody remember him), Maloy Nesmith were all "playground players" with great reputations for doing things in tournaments who just couldn't translate their games to organized, structured collegiate basketball. It was somewhat of a miracle that Marcus Crane and Lemar Gayle got into USU in the first place, Maloy Nesmith couldn't even spell his own name (I was told by a "friendly" professor), and Charles Smith was so lacking in academic credentials that he was unable to be admitted. To a Land Grant School. With a mission to educate the masses. Stew Morrill never even announced his signing as a player, and got pretty ripped about it when we brought it up to him in a coaches luncheon.

Of all the players on your list, I think Steven Cobbley was the biggest flame out. 6-10 and all-everything in the state of Idaho. Projections of all kinds of stardom. But absolutely no heart for the physical nature of the college game. Might have been better served if he could have gone to a junior college and kind of worked his way into USU. After "failing" at USU he went to North Idaho JC, but by then the die was kind of cast. The pressure was just too much to live up to.

Another late great name from the past: Anthony DiLoreto. He was the 7-footer from Minnetonka Hopkins High School in Minnesota, who was involved as the getaway driver in a Wisconsin bank robbery. He never panned out at any level he played at following his trial run at USU. He was dismissed from the USU team because smoking grass was apparently more important than improving himself as a basketball player. His USU bio, still on line, said, " Has the potential to become a dominant WAC big man... Has wonderful skill to go along with his God-given size and also has excellent hands... With a solid work ethic and attitude he could join a long list of great Aggie big men by the end of his career." I think somebody knew something when they wrote that bio.

cval

Post by cval » July 2nd, 2018, 10:21 am

Actually Cobbley suffered a back injury from which he was never able to fully recover.

I spent some time talking with him about it. He was pretty discouraged.

He may not have become a star anyway, but it was the injury that lead to his departure.

ultramagnus

Overhyped Busts

Post by ultramagnus » July 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

The mysterious “aircraft carrier” that never made it and was never named.

Matt Lopez did look like he was going to be great when he became eligible and dominated UVSC in his first game. Alas, as we know, that was the high point.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 2nd, 2018, 10:10 pm

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 2nd, 2018, 10:22 pm

You win jeans.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 3rd, 2018, 8:49 am

cval wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 10:21 am
Actually Cobbley suffered a back injury from which he was never able to fully recover.

I spent some time talking with him about it. He was pretty discouraged.

He may not have become a star anyway, but it was the injury that lead to his departure.
I saw Cobbley play in a tournament at Mountain Crest High School his senior year, in which Stew Morrill was in attendance and sat right across from us. Steve had already committed and Stew was there to see his prized recruit. I'm pretty sure he left disappointed. Cobbley was totally outplayed by a 6-5 kid on his Highland team, and I remarked to my companions that day that he was the one we should be going after, not Cobbley. We saw him play several more times that season, and I never saw him play one time that I didn't come away wondering what all of the hub-bub was about, other than his size. In every game, smaller centers ran rings around him. He may have been struggling with his back injury at that time, because he certainly did not look like the "franchise" center we were supposed to be getting.

This is always the difficult thing about high school kids. Jordan Stone was the same. It's all about the teams you play against. Cobbley, Stone, were both giants against most of the centers they went up against. Their high school game just never translated to the college world, for whatever reason.

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » July 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

ultramagnus wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

Matt Lopez did look like he was going to be great when he became eligible and dominated UVSC in his first game. Alas, as we know, that was the high point.

After USU, Lopez transferred to Rider for his final year and was both leading scorer and rebounder at 12.3 ppg, 7.7 rbg. He was also 1st team all conference. Rider won 21 games that season.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 5th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
ultramagnus wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

After USU, Lopez transferred to Rider for his final year and was both leading scorer and rebounder at 12.3 ppg, 7.7 rbg. He was also 1st team all conference. Rider won 21 games that season.

That poor guy had the worst hands ever. He couldn’t catch a cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 11th, 2018, 6:11 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm
I was just thinking about Matt Lopez today and how there were certain posters and people who seemed to know Matt who thought he was going to be FANTASTIC for the Ags. Of course, he wasn't . . . .

Elston Jones
Marcel Davis
Jordan Stone
Quincy Bair
Riley Bradshaw
James Walker
Brayden Bell
Nick Hammer
Marques Crane

Others? Discuss . . . .
I have Modou Niang's WAC championship ring.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 11th, 2018, 11:38 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Elston Jones
Marcel Davis
Jordan Stone
Quincy Bair
Riley Bradshaw
James Walker
Brayden Bell
Nick Hammer
Marques Crane

Others? Discuss . . . .
There was a highly recruited D1 basketball player on his mission, who went to AF an who had dinner at my parent's house. He was very disappointed with Quincy Bair, seemed to imply we got screwed.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 11th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Also don't forget Thoseby. The dude was supposed to be "National Team" and "prep" quality. With how bad at basketball even putting on an Aggie uniform at all is a major bust. We'd be better off pulling people from the fieldhouse.

Igor also never really panned out. I was never that high on him, but I seem to remember a few people were.

Locked Previous topicNext topic