76 points in the paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Post by SLB » November 1st, 2018, 9:54 pm

I know that we faced Evergreen State, but this stat shows real change from tossing 3s for no real reason.
:utah: :state:

Usu0505

Re: 76 points in the paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Usu0505 » November 1st, 2018, 10:35 pm

Nice! What was the final score?

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » November 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm

Usu0505 wrote:Nice! What was the final score?
96-45

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 1st, 2018, 10:53 pm

Hiring TD was the biggest mistake we’ve made in basketball since the hiring Kohn Smith. I have no doubt we will show more promise this year than during any of the TDs years. Unfortunately we are a couple star players away from getting into the Top 3 of the conference

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 1st, 2018, 11:11 pm

Wow. Thats a boatload of points considering 76 of it came from inside the paint. Especially when you consider that we have had virtually no presense from down low in a few years...

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » November 1st, 2018, 11:15 pm

Queta had 12 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive) and 3 blocks in the first half alone. He will be a much bigger post presence than we have had in a while

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 1st, 2018, 11:19 pm

I liked how it looked like Brown could play big when he needed to.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

SLB

Post by SLB » November 1st, 2018, 11:39 pm

I feel the new guys are going to play a lot. The Knights, Queta, and Fakira looked good.
J. Knight looked a little too wild out there, but he has potential.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 1st, 2018, 11:55 pm

Another stat 29 assists
All but Taylor had at least one assist.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 2nd, 2018, 12:26 am

Gretsch wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:15 pm
Queta had 12 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive) and 3 blocks in the first half alone. He will be a much bigger post presence than we have had in a while
Music to my ears!! Jackin up 3s every time down was somewhat fun when we were hot. The other 90 percent of the time it would drive me bonkers.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 2nd, 2018, 12:29 am

Gretsch wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:15 pm
He also did awesome with a lot of the high-low plays either taking it himself of passing it back out really well.

My side projects:

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 2nd, 2018, 12:44 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 10:53 pm
Hiring TD was the biggest mistake we’ve made in basketball since the hiring Kohn Smith. I have no doubt we will show more promise this year than during any of the TDs years. Unfortunately we are a couple star players away from getting into the Top 3 of the conference
You were absolutely right.

However can I make one concession? If TD had bigs like Queta/Fakira the last 2 years, I think we would have threatened for top 3. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I know. It's disappointing he could land some highly rated recruits like Koby, Henson, Rector, etc. but couldn't get a big here to save his life (outside of Stall, who was an injury risk from the get go).

So yeah, you were right. Hopefully we can stop talking about TD now though ;) Very excited for the Smith era, I think he will be great
:cheers:

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 2nd, 2018, 1:00 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 12:44 am
USUBlue wrote:

However can I make one concession? If TD had bigs like Queta/Fakira the last 2 years, I think we would have threatened for top 3. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I know. It's disappointing he could land some highly rated recruits like Koby, Henson, Rector, etc. but couldn't get a big here to save his life (outside of Stall, who was an injury risk from the get go).

So yeah, you were right. Hopefully we can stop talking about TD now though ;) Very excited for the Smith era, I think he will be great
I think you will see that the Knights are better players than Henson, Rector or anyone else TD brought in except Koby. Koby should have stuck around -- he'd have loved not having the pressure to create all the time. It would have also improved his D. It still makes me sick to think about K. Davis on this team -- he was an all-conference type of player at the 3. Dang! I think we'll be very good next year -- this year, we'll be entertaining and dangerous.
Last edited by USUBlue on November 2nd, 2018, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 2nd, 2018, 1:04 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 1:00 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
USUBlue wrote:

I think you will see that the Knights are better players than Henson, Rector or anyone else TD brought in except Koby. Koby should have stuck around -- he'd have loved not having the pressure to create all the time. It would have also improved his D. It still makes me stick to think about K. Davis on this team -- he was an all-conference type of player at the 3. Dang! I think we'll be very good next year -- this year, we'll be entertaining and dangerous.
I don't doubt it, both sound like very good players and future stars. Henson had loads of potential, obviously had a rough Freshman campaign but the dude was recruited very highly and still ended up at a Pac-12 school quickly after leaving...his ceiling is pretty high.

Agreed, Koby would make this a truly legitimate tourney-type team. I wish we could have convinced him to stick around.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 2nd, 2018, 5:20 am

When all is said and done the person who will regret Koby transferring the most will be Koby.

Agree with UsUBlue, this team needs one or two more top quality players to be a top team but right now we have a team that if they execute can cause a lot of problems for others.

I loved listening to Coach Smith on the postgame, he was energetic, didn’t use a lot of coach speak, and positive. My favorite line was “we love the rim and we like the 3” and his one big criticism of the game was too many guys were being too unselfish, passing up wide open shots to get more passes in. He specifically said Queta and Merrill passed up multiple wide open shots likely because the team had been emphasizing passing it around.

I love Fakira’s game and hope it translates to a bigger opponent. Of all on the team I have the biggest conditioning concerns for him, as he started to drag (I can't express myself without swearing) up and down the court later, but a few more games in he should get acclimated.

I have a lot of excitement for Queta and how good he can be as he adapted and potentially grows and puts on some weight. He has potential to be an NBA early entrant if he wants that.

The Knights bring great energy and I suspect JKIII will be our starting PG before long because I don’t know how you let Ainge have that role.

Looking for the starters to soon be:
1) JK3
2) Merrill
3) Brown
4) Taylor
5) Queta

Fakira and TK first two off the bench.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 2nd, 2018, 6:03 am

USUBlue wrote:
Boise State fans think highly of TD. This is what one of their fans said:

"Duryea will absolutely be a big addition.. I thought his USU teams were very well coached, and there was a reason why Stew kept him around for so long (He was a USU Asst/Head Coach for 17 years 2001-2018).. guys very good. (Emphasis on very) This was a tremendous hire by Leon.USU fans are gonna hate it when we play them and they have to face what they made us face for so many years."

https://247sports.com/college/boise-sta ... 121881624/

This is what a fan said in another thread:

"From what I’ve read Rice has basically handed the keys of the offense to TD. If he does anything here like he did for the what seems like for ever at USU Jessup will be running off screens all game long. I also saw a video of him at practice instructing guys in practice and the main focus of his lesson was all about do’s and not’s of screens."
Last edited by thansen on November 2nd, 2018, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 2nd, 2018, 6:25 am

Of the newcomers I was most impressed with T3 and NQ. BF played well but looked a bit slow. Hopefully the strength and conditioning coach can help him with his speed, agility, and vertical jump. I expect JB to see some playing time this year.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 2nd, 2018, 6:55 am

I thought our returning players played faster than last year, especially Merrill, Miller, and Brown. Brock seemed to be way more of an all-around hustle player last night than what we saw in his few games early last season where he seemed to be more of a spot up 3 point shooter. I think Brock and Sam will play well together. NQ is a pleasant surprise and will be a huge part of this team. His combination of size and athleticism will be tough to match by our opponents. JK's athleticism was fun to watch too. I love his aggressiveness on the offensive glass with a couple nice put backs off of other's misses. I don't think TK or JK are that great of long distance shooters but can sure drive and slash and should draw defensive slides and be able to kick out for open looks for teammates from long range. Generally speaking there was great ball movement last night. I don't anticipate Crew Ainge will be our starting pg for long. We are a much better 3 point shooting team than what we showed last night so it could be scary if we ever get both the inside and outside games going on the same night. Montana State on the road should be a good opening test.

GO AGGIES!

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 2nd, 2018, 7:13 am

Anyone else not impressed that we did easy things to a junior high girls team? Or is it just me?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 2nd, 2018, 7:57 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 1:00 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
USUBlue wrote:

I think you will see that the Knights are better players than Henson, Rector or anyone else TD brought in except Koby. Koby should have stuck around -- he'd have loved not having the pressure to create all the time. It would have also improved his D. It still makes me sick to think about K. Davis on this team -- he was an all-conference type of player at the 3. Dang! I think we'll be very good next year -- this year, we'll be entertaining and dangerous.
Makes me very sick too, Blue. I really think if that piece were added to this puzzle, we were positioned for this year and next to be very strong and surprise a lot of people. At least based off what I've seen early on. That was the dynamic and athletic wing/post piece we needed to add.

Oh well, I still like this current group getting coached up. Seems we'll have a group of guys that are very unselfish, play for the team, and gives it everything out on the court.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » November 2nd, 2018, 8:32 am

thansen wrote:
USUBlue wrote:

"Duryea will absolutely be a big addition.. I thought his USU teams were very well coached, and there was a reason why Stew kept him around for so long (He was a USU Asst/Head Coach for 17 years 2001-2018).. guys very good. (Emphasis on very) This was a tremendous hire by Leon.USU fans are gonna hate it when we play them and they have to face what they made us face for so many years."

"From what I’ve read Rice has basically handed the keys of the offense to TD. If he does anything here like he did for the what seems like for ever at USU Jessup will be running off screens all game long. I also saw a video of him at practice instructing guys in practice and the main focus of his lesson was all about do’s and not’s of screens."
Boise State fans are not wrong. TD was a great Assistant Coach for us and will probably be a great Assistant in Boise. He’s just not a great Head Coach. Losing him to Boise is a net gain for both programs. I like what I saw briefly in the periscope (thanks for that!) and what I’ve heard about last night. 70 something points in the paint is exciting and gives me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » November 2nd, 2018, 8:33 am

sam tingey wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 7:13 am
Anyone else not impressed that we did easy things to a junior high girls team? Or is it just me?
haha of course any takeaways are with that in mind. Some takeaways:

- NQ is legit.
- Really all of our freshmen looked like they belong at this level. Of course there will be growing pains, ups and downs, etc. but I think the future is bright.
- I liked the pace that we played with
- It was really nice to see a coach on the sideline that was halfway onto the court, literally running up and down the sideline, talking to the players on the bench frequently. Coach Smith is coaching them hard and they clearly respond to him.
- One of the things last year's team lacked last year was speed and athleticism. The additions of NQ, the Knights, and JB to this year's squad helps with that. Brock also looked more agile compared to last year.

Overall I'm just excited to watch them play and grow this year. They'll play fast and they'll play hard.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 2nd, 2018, 8:39 am

SLB wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:39 pm
I feel the new guys are going to play a lot. The Knights, Queta, and Fakira looked good.
I hope this isn't correct. These are Summit League level players. We need MW level players. I heard this from a reliable source.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 2nd, 2018, 8:48 am

gametime12 wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
haha of course any takeaways are with that in mind. Some takeaways:

- NQ is legit.
- Really all of our freshmen looked like they belong at this level. Of course there will be growing pains, ups and downs, etc. but I think the future is bright.
- I liked the pace that we played with
- It was really nice to see a coach on the sideline that was halfway onto the court, literally running up and down the sideline, talking to the players on the bench frequently. Coach Smith is coaching them hard and they clearly respond to him.
- One of the things last year's team lacked last year was speed and athleticism. The additions of NQ, the Knights, and JB to this year's squad helps with that. Brock also looked more agile compared to last year.

Overall I'm just excited to watch them play and grow this year. They'll play fast and they'll play hard.
I am a bit worried that some of those really long passes are quite ill advised against a more athletic defense. Other than that, it was fun to watch and I particularly like the high-low work that was so missing the last couple of years.

My side projects:

Full

Post by Full » November 2nd, 2018, 9:00 am

sam tingey wrote:Anyone else not impressed that we did easy things to a junior high girls team? Or is it just me?
I have a little bit of this. NQ early had about three straight tip in attempts because he had six inches over anyone on their team. At times it looked like a bunch of young talented players making some mistakes against an inferior opponent. However, I could see this team getting better as the season goes on. There will be some growing pains because the freshman and sophomores will get a lot of minutes. I look forward to seeing them against better competition on Tuesday.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am

sam tingey wrote:
Touche. I had read in here that evergreen st is actually a pretty decent NAIA and if that's true and seeing we actually were starting crew ainge i expected a lot closer score. Also hard not to get a little excited that the majority of our 96 points came from somewhere other than the 3 but you are right. WAY to early to get too excited.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 2nd, 2018, 9:55 am

Usu0505 wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
Touche. I had read in here that evergreen st is actually a pretty decent NAIA and if that's true and seeing we actually were starting crew ainge i expected a lot closer score. Also hard not to get a little excited that the majority of our 96 points came from somewhere other than the 3 but you are right. WAY to early to get too excited.
They're one of the worst. Didn't they win like 5 games last year?

Edit. Just looked up their schedule. They might be the worst team we've ever played.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 2nd, 2018, 9:59 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 9:55 am
Usu0505 wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
They're one of the worst. Didn't they win like 5 games last year?

I just either cant read or read only what i want to read.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 2nd, 2018, 10:07 am

Sounds illegal Sam

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 2nd, 2018, 11:30 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 8:39 am
SLB wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:39 pm
I hope this isn't correct. These are Summit League level players. We need MW level players. I heard this from a reliable source.
Disagreed, but if they're summit level guys like Mike Daum was a Summit League level player, I think they'll be just fine ;)

They looked legit. The summit has had quality teams the last few years

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » November 2nd, 2018, 2:36 pm

My exact thoughts. We could have had better competition had we just found one of the better church ball teams in the neighborhood. 75 points in the paint is meaningless. Why take jumpers when you can get to the rim with ease? Our 3 point shooting was terrible and lead to offensive rebounds and two point baskets.

I'm hopeful that we can be competitive, but last night didn't provide any answers to me. We will not have our way in the paint like that very often if at all. If we are not a great 3 point shooting team this year we will struggle.

I'm excited to see all these new pieces come together but I still don't have high hopes for finishing in the top half of the conference based on what I saw. Tuesday will tell so much more.
sam tingey wrote:Anyone else not impressed that we did easy things to a junior high girls team? Or is it just me?
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm

Let's be honest, we could have played the Duke of non D1 schools and won by 5 and you guys would still find something to complain about.

You don't need great competition to see the individual skills and potential of the players last night. No one is saying it was an impressive win, you don't judge ANY exhibition game by the score or margin of victory.

The 2 new bigs looked better than any we've had since Shaw. Both Knights looked good, very athletic. We know what we have in Sam. We also played 3 walk ons and gave every player on the roster minutes, the entire point of the game was to practice

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 2nd, 2018, 4:33 pm

tetonaggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 8:32 am
thansen wrote:
USUBlue wrote:

Boise State fans are not wrong. TD was a great Assistant Coach for us and will probably be a great Assistant in Boise. He’s just not a great Head Coach. Losing him to Boise is a net gain for both programs. I like what I saw briefly in the periscope (thanks for that!) and what I’ve heard about last night. 70 something points in the paint is exciting and gives me hope.

I admit I didn't watch very much Aggie Basketball during Duryeas' tenure but when I did I didn't see many screens. They never seemed to wait long enough before jacking it up to set one up. One of the reasons I didn't watch very much.

I guess I should have so I could have seen all that great Stew offense with multiple screens.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 2nd, 2018, 4:37 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm
Let's be honest, we could have played the Duke of non D1 schools and won by 5 and you guys would still find something to complain about.

You don't need great competition to see the individual skills and potential of the players last night. No one is saying it was an impressive win, you don't judge ANY exhibition game by the score or margin of victory.

The 2 new bigs looked better than any we've had since Shaw. Both Knights looked good, very athletic. We know what we have in Sam. We also played 3 walk ons and gave every player on the roster minutes, the entire point of the game was to practice
I agree MJA, You can learn a lot from these games in terms of structure of play, effort, discipline, and skills of individual players. I would say our 2 new inside freshmen players are better than anything we’ve seen for over 10 years. Overall we looked better than I hoped, but still think will finish about middle of the conference. We are two very good players away from being top three.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm

The two new inside kids have a lot of potential. I hope they are the best we have had over the last ten years, which would make them better than David Collette, we shall see, but lets have a little patience they are very young and need time to improve.

Locked Previous topicNext topic