Student attendance

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie-Man

Re: Student attendance

Post by Aggie-Man » January 11th, 2019, 9:15 am

This! ^^^^^

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » January 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:33 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
I was part of a group of guys that came up with 75% of the cheers used today. We just tried different things. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn’t. We usually had at least one cheer directed at a specific opposing player, something we researched. I would agree though that just getting loud on defense goes a long way to get people going and create a good atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember some of those personal cheers. "Run like a man" for fazekas, "Gary Coleman" for some Weber State player that was under 6 ft tall, and others. Good times, thanks for spearheading that.
Ugly duckling. Frodo baggins. Katniss. Daddy's boy (resulted in tears and the world famous double arm pump).

I thought the double arm pump was a result of a game against Paul George's Fresno State team where we held them scoreless for over 5 minutes. A lady on their bench enthusiastically pumped her arms when they finally scored, and the student section started doing it every time something went right for Fresno, which wasn't often in that game.
Yes! That lady was obnoxious, and the mocking she received was perfect.

It lasted for a few games whenever a team would accomplish a small feat and over celebrate.

I miss the students actually being involved at the games and paying attention.

Currently they are almost as ineffective as the cheerleaders.

Wednesday was my first game back in the Spectrum and it was good to hear how energized it got, but it dropped off quickly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » January 11th, 2019, 10:53 am

Usu0505 wrote:Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

Im sure wild bill has long moved on but USU should pay him a lot of money to come back for a season and show the young guns how it's done.
I know it's not the popular opinion but I think it's good the Wild Bill ship has sailed.

It was awesome and different at the time. People loved it and it was something that was an addition to an already raucous student section.

The current student section needs their own Wild Bill variant not THE Wild Bill.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 11th, 2019, 10:56 am

usufan1 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:53 am
Usu0505 wrote:Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

Im sure wild bill has long moved on but USU should pay him a lot of money to come back for a season and show the young guns how it's done.
I know it's not the popular opinion but I think it's good the Wild Bill ship has sailed.

It was awesome and different at the time. People loved it and it was something that was an addition to an already raucous student section.

The current student section needs their own Wild Bill variant not THE Wild Bill.

In sure its something he is proud of but something he wouldnt want to do in his adult working life.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » January 11th, 2019, 11:01 am

Does USU do anything to push student involvement for these games? I know they don't do much in Logan too push the actual games for non student fans. You need people willing to truly push and promote this team it seems like. Even to their own students.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 11th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I doubt most of the current student body would even know who Wild Bill is.

It’s a sad day when Athletics has to bribe the student body with Pizza to come watch a good team play an important conference game. Then still not sell out.

I think the student leadership is trying, but I think there still is a huge feeling of apathy from the Dureyea years.

Just keep winning and the students will come around. It’s going to take time and some big wins (especially against the zoobs) to get excitement back in the student body.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 11th, 2019, 12:26 pm

usufan1 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:49 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:33 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
I was part of a group of guys that came up with 75% of the cheers used today. We just tried different things. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn’t. We usually had at least one cheer directed at a specific opposing player, something we researched. I would agree though that just getting loud on defense goes a long way to get people going and create a good atmosphere.

I remember some of those personal cheers. "Run like a man" for fazekas, "Gary Coleman" for some Weber State player that was under 6 ft tall, and others. Good times, thanks for spearheading that.
Ugly duckling. Frodo baggins. Katniss. Daddy's boy (resulted in tears and the world famous double arm pump).

I thought the double arm pump was a result of a game against Paul George's Fresno State team where we held them scoreless for over 5 minutes. A lady on their bench enthusiastically pumped her arms when they finally scored, and the student section started doing it every time something went right for Fresno, which wasn't often in that game.
Yes! That lady was obnoxious, and the mocking she received was perfect.

It lasted for a few games whenever a team would accomplish a small feat and over celebrate.

I miss the students actually being involved at the games and paying attention.

Currently they are almost as ineffective as the cheerleaders.

Wednesday was my first game back in the Spectrum and it was good to hear how energized it got, but it dropped off quickly.

I thought she was a pretty good sport about it. At least, she seemed to be laughing from where I was sitting. I thought it was pretty clever that they drew the Stanley cup on the whiteboard they would bring and were pumping it like the hockey players do. The my Little pony on the board when Boise would visit was great, too.

Aggies All the Way!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 11th, 2019, 1:17 pm

The Spectrum rocked long before anything that had been Mentone in this thread.

The decibel meter
Free fries
Water Bombs
Tark Nights
Streaked
Toilet Paper
Late night ESPN games
Any instate game with Majerus or BYU
My Little Ponies chant to Cal Poly
Airball chants lasted the entire game, not just 10 seconds.

I rember a kid named Bradley from Utah elbowing Tony Brown in the back of the head. Dick Hunsaker went after Stew and every time Bradley touched the ball he was booed so loud you couldn't even think for the rest of the game.

There was a guy named Brandon Fullov for Santa Barbara that was a really good player. He decided to kick Desmond Penigar and again the fans booed him so loud and often he couldn't even catch the ball by the end of the game.

The list goes on, but the Spectrum had been great for a long time, what happened was the students got more organized and brought it consistently and our teams were as good as ever.

We just need clever students who understand the game. What set is apart was the smart fans that new when to cheer and when to jeer.

I talked to Lee Cummard and Anson Winder and both said it was hell to play in Logan because the crowd was so good, but they loved it.

The Theus look alike was great too.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I attended games at the Spectrum fairly regularly from approximately 80-81 season through the 82-83 season as a young teenager, then basically every game for the next two seasons as a junior/senior in HS who helped with parking through Ross Peterson, then every game during the 85-86, 88-89, 89-90, and 90-91 seasons as a student at USU. My memory may be faulty, but it seemed that the Spectrum was fairly full in those days, and while the student cheers weren't organized and coordinated, there was definitely significant participation. During my years as a student, I typically sat in the first three rows of the student section near half-court and was there for the toilet paper years, the Water Bomb, and general raucousness. We absolutely harassed opposing players by name (I remember particularly verbally harassing Michael Smith, Devin Durrant, Larry Johnson, and Stacy Augmon as much as possible) and kept up the volume throughout the game -- even during the down years. But it was nothing like the Wild Bill days.

What should happen is that the Athletics Department should mandate (to the extent it can) that a primary objective and function of the VP of Athletics every year is to recruit a large committee for both basketball and football (committee could have overlapping membership) whose primary purpose is recruiting other students to attend games and organizing cheers, activities, white-outs, costumes, etc. Maybe this happens already, but it certainly isn't being done the way it was during the Wild Bill era.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm
I attended games at the Spectrum fairly regularly from approximately 80-81 season through the 82-83 season as a young teenager, then basically every game for the next two seasons as a junior/senior in HS who helped with parking through Ross Peterson, then every game during the 85-86, 88-89, 89-90, and 90-91 seasons as a student at USU. My memory may be faulty, but it seemed that the Spectrum was fairly full in those days, and while the student cheers weren't organized and coordinated, there was definitely significant participation. During my years as a student, I typically sat in the first three rows of the student section near half-court and was there for the toilet paper years, the Water Bomb, and general raucousness. We absolutely harassed opposing players by name (I remember particularly verbally harassing Michael Smith, Devin Durrant, Larry Johnson, and Stacy Augmon as much as possible) and kept up the volume throughout the game -- even during the down years. But it was nothing like the Wild Bill days.

What should happen is that the Athletics Department should mandate (to the extent it can) that a primary objective and function of the VP of Athletics every year is to recruit a large committee for both basketball and football (committee could have overlapping membership) whose primary purpose is recruiting other students to attend games and organizing cheers, activities, white-outs, costumes, etc. Maybe this happens already, but it certainly isn't being done the way it was during the Wild Bill era.
I was there for the wild Bill era. As for what was effective, the newsletter thing that was passed out prior to the game got everyone on the same page and was hilarious at the same time. I'm pretty sure those guys weren't acting in an official capacity, as it sometimes got a little more personal than would be allowed by the University. I don't think there needs to be anything official, just a group of fans that are passionate, persistent, and go above and beyond. It spread from the front row under the basket. I think professor chaos has said he was one of those guys, right? Maybe he can lend more insight.

Aggies All the Way!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm

dyedblue wrote:The Spectrum rocked long before anything that had been Mentone in this thread.

The decibel meter
Free fries
Water Bombs
Tark Nights
Streaked
Toilet Paper
Late night ESPN games

I rember a kid named Bradley from Utah elbowing Tony Brown in the back of the head. Dick Hunsaker went after Stew and every time Bradley touched the ball he was booed so loud you couldn't even think for the rest of the game.

There was a guy named Brandon Fullov for Santa Barbara that was a really good player. He decided to kick Desmond Penigar and again the fans booed him so loud and often he couldn't even catch the ball by the end of the game.

The list goes on, but the Spectrum had been great for a long time, what happened was the students got more organized and brought it consistently and our teams were as good as ever.

We just need clever students who understand the game. What set is apart was the smart fans that new when to cheer and when to jeer.

I talked to Lee Cummard and Anson Winder and both said it was hell to play in Logan because the crowd was so good, but they loved it.

Fullove was my favorite player to cheer against. He talked back to us a few times and we were in his head from then on. It was over once a player acknowledged us.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

ChicAggie wrote:

Here's a graphical representation of Average Spectrum attendance since the 1981-82 season.

For more detailed information you can go here:

http://www.usustats.com/seasons/

The attendance data by venue is located at the bottom of each season.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 11th, 2019, 3:15 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm
ChicAggie wrote:

Here's a graphical representation of Average Spectrum attendance since the 1981-82 season.

To be fair with this, it seems that the AD is now counting actual people in the stadium, and not just adding tickets sold to the number of student tickets available. At least that's the rumor that has been going around...

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 11th, 2019, 3:24 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I was there for the wild Bill era. As for what was effective, the newsletter thing that was passed out prior to the game got everyone on the same page and was hilarious at the same time. I'm pretty sure those guys weren't acting in an official capacity, as it sometimes got a little more personal than would be allowed by the University. I don't think there needs to be anything official, just a group of fans that are passionate, persistent, and go above and beyond. It spread from the front row under the basket. I think professor chaos has said he was one of those guys, right? Maybe he can lend more insight.
Bringing back the newsletter would be a great idea. As for whether it would be okay to do something like this in an "official capacity," as a former STAB Chair (among other things), I am confident student-led and student-run organizations can pretty much do whatever they want as long as it doesn't step WAY over the bounds of propriety and decency. While we had some administrative oversight, we never ran the things we planned and did past the administration, and we got away with things that I doubt the administration would have approved of if we had asked for permission. I definitely think it should be a mandate of the office of the Athletics VP (a student-elected position) to make sure these things get done. Giving that office some level of responsibility for boosting student attendance and participation would provide for some accountability and a level of organization that currently seems to be lacking.

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » January 11th, 2019, 3:27 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 3:15 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm
ChicAggie wrote:

To be fair with this, it seems that the AD is now counting actual people in the stadium, and not just adding tickets sold to the number of student tickets available. At least that's the rumor that has been going around...
Having been a season ticket holder for what seems forever, that graph looks very accurate to me.

And to echo ChicAggie, those 80’s Spectrum games we’re pretty epic! When Tark the Shark came to town it was always a good time 🤘🏼 the waterbomb was just the capper (RIP Jeff, as great an Aggie as there ever was)

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 11th, 2019, 3:31 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 3:24 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Bringing back the newsletter would be a great idea. As for whether it would be okay to do something like this in an "official capacity," as a former STAB Chair (among other things), I am confident student-led and student-run organizations can pretty much do whatever they want as long as it doesn't step WAY over the bounds of propriety and decency. While we had some administrative oversight, we never ran the things we planned and did past the administration, and we got away with things that I doubt the administration would have approved of if we had asked for permission. I definitely think it should be a mandate of the office of the Athletics VP (a student-elected position) to make sure these things get done. Giving that office some level of responsibility for boosting student attendance and participation would provide for some accountability and a level of organization that currently seems to be lacking.
I'm not against that idea as long as we never have a repeat of our administration apologizing publicly to BYU ever again. :puke:

Aggies All the Way!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 3:31 pm
I'm not against that idea as long as we never have a repeat of our administration apologizing publicly to BYU ever again. :puke:
Amen to that, my Aggie brother.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 11th, 2019, 4:51 pm

20Trae wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm
I'm new to this board, so this probably deserves it is own topic but I can't start a new topic yet. As a student, I see the student attendance increasing, especially against Fresno, but the student energy still seems flat. Unfortunately, students don't seem as interested in going to the games, and have gravitated more towards the atmosphere of the hockey games. If you go to one of those, you will see its packed and insanely loud, even though they lose games. Obviously something needs to change to bring that back. Coach Smith has a huge been a huge addition and came to revive Spectrum Magic, but if fans/students do nothing its not going to change. Plus, Craig Smith almost had to spend more time cheering for that students to get loud than coaching I swear. I was in Junior High during the Spectrum Magic days and as a student now, I want to see that come back. Its seems as if the students don't even remember how to do that anymore. Since that was a while ago and I was pretty young, I don't remember all the cheers and what made it crazy. Besides the regular "I believe", "winning team losing team", "go big blue", and "right left right left" is about all we are capable of now, it seems we could do a lot more. Does anyone have any good ideas of cheers/chants that are catchy and can get the spectrum rocking all game long again? Its pathetic that student are willing to drive 10 minutes to a cold icy arena to pay 5 bucks, watch 2-3 goals, and a couple good hits when we can all get into the spectrum for free in a high intensity arena with a history of a great atmosphere.
See this article about the recruitment of Neemias, and ubiquity of the rooster in his native Portugal. You should all crow like a rooster every time NQ gets a block. He'd get the reference, and it would be original, loud, easy to do and Aggie-centric. I waive all royalties.

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » January 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Wild Bill was good, but he was not what made the ReSpectrum. That was more with the Refraction group. They got the students more involved.
Wild Bill was an addition, but without Chaos and others Wild Bill would not have been. Funaki (sp) was more instrumental than wild Bill. IMO

To go further, I think Wild Bill hurt the crowd as it made more of the Blue Hairs watch even more instead of participate.

Those were some great crowds, but I think Wild Bill got the pub, but Chaos and company did the work.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 11th, 2019, 7:43 pm

dyedblue wrote:The Spectrum rocked long before anything that had been Mentone in this thread.

The decibel meter
Free fries
Water Bombs
Tark Nights
Streaked
Toilet Paper
Late night ESPN games

This is what I was trying to say earlier. I was part of a group that carried the Spectrum for a time. It didn’t start with us and didn’t end with us. We used things from before and came up with a lot of new things.

That’s what needs to happen. The group right after us was the Wild Bill group. They used what we started and added their own on top. It seemed to die after them though as everybody tried to just keep doing the Wild Bill thing. Today’s group needs to make their own things up. Use what’s come before and add on to it.

*The Reggie Theus one was a great night. I was one of those that dressed up. He came out and took pictures with us and signed the posters we had. Haha.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » January 11th, 2019, 9:05 pm

They were way too quiet while we were on defense.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 12th, 2019, 11:17 am

Not sure anyone here is giving undue credit to Wild Bill, but he was definitely the most memorable poster child of that halcyon era of Spectrum magic -- hence "the Wild Bill era."

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » January 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Has to start with the students themselves not the administration. When the Spectrum is at its best it is students being present and loud. During my time at USU it was a group called the Bull Pen that really got things moving along with another group of students I think they called themselves the Hub Club. Then with the team winning and the great atmosphere it just spread and grew to get better and better. Hope that comes back. The loadesr I ever heard the Spectrum was 2000 vs Boise to clinch going undefeated in conference play.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » January 12th, 2019, 1:27 pm

The student section was decent on Wednesday.

It seems like the students are missing the unity of what used to make the Spectrum great.

Even just having (mostly) everyone wear blue doesn't happen anymore.

Does anyone know if the first few rows near halfcourt behind the media is still part of the student section?

There were people sitting there, they didn't stand, and there were empty seats in the dust few rows.

That was where I would sit and we had to show up early to get those seats. Image

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » January 12th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 8:27 am
Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

If they were, it wouldn't matter because that section was sold out to the students that purchased the "Hurd Premium."

I'm actually a grad student and I go to the games and sit in the student section, but being in the 30+ club, I don't think it's my place to "lead" anymore. Kids are just different these days. Last year vs. BYU was the closest we got to the old Spectrum atmosphere, but it still wasn't quite the same. I want to believe the magic will return, but it's looking less and less likely.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 12th, 2019, 11:24 pm

How has the local Taco Bell or Del Taco not latched onto the immense promotional opportunity in front of them? Forget free fries, every game that Bean and Brito combine for 10 pts it should be free bean burritos for everyone in attendance.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 12th, 2019, 11:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 11:24 pm
How has the local Taco Bell or Del Taco not latched onto the immense promotional opportunity in front of them? Forget free fries, every game that Bean and Brito combine for 10 pts it should be free bean burritos for everyone in attendance.
Well I am pretty certain that the local owners of TacoTime read this board. So come on guys get on it :-)

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 13th, 2019, 8:38 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 3:24 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
We should commission a re-write of The Day the Music Died, in sad remembrance of the USU AD castrating the fans and killing the Spectrum Magic through that travesty. That action alone kicked off a sequence of events that are haunting the Spectrum fan experience to this very day.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

sneed

Post by sneed » January 13th, 2019, 11:19 am

We should do a Shave Out / Bald Out?! Everyone shave their head for the Nevada game. Or maybe we pledge to shave our heads in our coaches honor if we get back in the tournament this year?

Shave out for Nevada would be awesome- then keep shaving through the tournament. - Get the players to do it too.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » January 13th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I'm a student now, and don't see or hear anything leading up to games. No one talking about it. Maybe one small sign on campus. I feel like students just aren't aware games are happening. Unless you follow usubasketball on Instagram, which if you don't care about it you won't, you aren't even going to know there's a game.

The Hurd is trying. The past couple games "the bull sheet" has been passed out as a kind of a replacement refraction. But cheers aren't clever. Most are just obnoxious. Like inviting the opposing coach to subway after the game? We need new cheers and more unity. Sadly I can't participate because I'm an "official university representative" or I'd be on the front row.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 14th, 2019, 7:25 am

Capriotti's was offering a free 6 in. Bobbie in the Fresno game had the Aggies scored over 85. That would have been the greatest giveaway in the history of The Spectrum.

usubullzone

Post by usubullzone » January 14th, 2019, 8:46 am

If the Aggies want to have a chance at winning Nevada at home we NEED THE MAGIC BACK.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » January 14th, 2019, 10:52 am

brian5562 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:07 pm
I don’t have any ideas for catchy cheers but I would suggest just making noise when the Aggies are on D. To me that is what really made the Spectrum awesome was the overall energy throughout the game especially when on defense.
This. IMO the front-row-led chants contributed greatly to killing the spectrum. Just be loud. Chant the obvious(left-right, aiiiiiiiiir balllllllllll, whoosh, etc). Don't try to lead fans like sheep in what they're supposed to be cheering. It all felt stupid to me when the front row became the student section leadership group.

That said, winning is a bigger contributor.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » January 14th, 2019, 10:54 am

Usu0505 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 8:27 am
Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

HELL NO. It needs the opposite.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 14th, 2019, 11:06 am

20Trae wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm
I'm new to this board, so this probably deserves it is own topic but I can't start a new topic yet. As a student, I see the student attendance increasing, especially against Fresno, but the student energy still seems flat. Unfortunately, students don't seem as interested in going to the games, and have gravitated more towards the atmosphere of the hockey games. If you go to one of those, you will see its packed and insanely loud, even though they lose games. Obviously something needs to change to bring that back. Coach Smith has a huge been a huge addition and came to revive Spectrum Magic, but if fans/students do nothing its not going to change. Plus, Craig Smith almost had to spend more time cheering for that students to get loud than coaching I swear. I was in Junior High during the Spectrum Magic days and as a student now, I want to see that come back. Its seems as if the students don't even remember how to do that anymore. Since that was a while ago and I was pretty young, I don't remember all the cheers and what made it crazy. Besides the regular "I believe", "winning team losing team", "go big blue", and "right left right left" is about all we are capable of now, it seems we could do a lot more. Does anyone have any good ideas of cheers/chants that are catchy and can get the spectrum rocking all game long again? Its pathetic that student are willing to drive 10 minutes to a cold icy arena to pay 5 bucks, watch 2-3 goals, and a couple good hits when we can all get into the spectrum for free in a high intensity arena with a history of a great atmosphere.
So I just read how people were being turned away at the door from the last hockey game due to the building being at capacity. This used to happen 20 years ago when the hockey team played their home games at Weber St. so it's not really a surprise. What is a surprise is that there is this much interest in the hockey team when it is quite possibly the worst hockey team we have had in two decades! Honestly, losing to BYU at all - let alone multiple times in a season? having a losing record? Great for the hockey team to still be able to draw the interest of students despite being historically bad, but this may go to prove that the current classes of students have grown accustomed to showing support to winners (like the hockey team) and now, even though they are awful, they still draw a crowd because that is the culture the current students know.

We are now multiple classes away from the last decent basketball team, maybe even two full four-year graduating classes away from the last championship. That is a lot of time that has passed where nothing has been passed down and all that remains are a couple of hollow chants from a previous era. Back then, people came to see a winning team but the students were also a part of the show. Student today don't realize that people also showed up to watch them and other students showed up to be a part of the performance. All today's students are left with is YouTube videos of what things were like when they were probably 10-11 years old and probably had no clue they were going to be an Aggie.

Locked Previous topicNext topic