Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 3:31 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:20 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:55 pm
gametime12 wrote:Blue...I personally don't have any issue with analysis grounded in numbers or reality (i.e. breaking down film), critical or not. As I said before this thread got out of control, much of your commentary falls under the category of "hot takes" - opinions just thrown out there without anything of substance to back it up. Just from this thread, I'll provide some examples:

"Bean will not even average 8 minutes a game next year."
- Where did that come from, outside the fact that he's a walk on? This was right after the Eastern Oregon game, in which he played 18 minutes. You said this, I have to presume, without any knowledge of his background (HS stats or story) or watching any of his HS film. Any reasonable person (as evidenced by the majority of people in this thread) can see that based on the current roster construction, Bean has a chance to contribute. That's it - not become the next great Aggie, etc. Just to carve out a steady role (10-15 minutes/game) on this team. This was a "hot take".

"Except he can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass." (Referring again to Bean)
- Once again...where is your basis for this? He canned his only 3 in the Eastern Oregon game with a nice-looking jump shot. He shot 45% from 3 per the high school stats that several people have posted in this thread. Who knows how he will shoot in college??? I'd say based on the limited stuff I've seen in his highlights and games that he has a chance to be a good shooter. I don't think any reasonable person would say he can't shoot. There's just not any data out there that backs that up. Just because he hasn't shot outside much doesn't mean he "can't". Same goes for dribbling/passing. He had nice passes to Quinn and Queta that I can remember off the top of my head against Nevada and Air Force. He only has 2 turnovers in the minutes he has played.

"Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight...he must have given up 30...Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot."
- 30 points was an exaggeration and again a "hot take". If you wanna go back and re-watch the game and count every bucket Taylor's guy scored, then I would be fine with that criticism.
-The rest of that post is a little more forgivable, but still just a misunderstanding of the defense and personnel. The player you're referring to that made a lot of those threes was Keaton Van Soelen (he went 4-5 from 3 against us). This is from Coach Smith post game: "They made some tough twos and then they were drilling every three. We’ve been able to defend very well. I thought a lot of those shots were tough shots and guarded shots. You have to give credit to No. 44 for them, Keaton Van Soelen, who made a three against New Mexico the other night, but he had three the whole year coming into tonight and goes 4-for-5 for 16 points and put a lot of pressure on us." Air Force is ranked 252nd in the nation in 3PM and 272nd in 3P%. In short, the Aggies strategy was to prevent paint shots and layups that are staples of the Princeton offense. They were not concerned with running them off of the 3 pt line. They wanted Air Force to take those 3s. To call the makes "lucky" would be disrespectful, but they were absolutely unexpected and caught the Aggies off-guard - particularly from Van Soelen who had only made 3 all year coming into the game.

In summary, Blue, if your analysis is critical but it's grounded in data or film, etc. I don't think most people will have an issue with it. When you say things like I've pointed out above, you come across as being negative in order to provoke someone else or because you're just a negative person.

Furthermore, when you call someone an idiot for calling you out, and then threaten to analyze every single mistake of a player who has given a lot of time and effort to this program, you once again come across as just a generally negative person who likes to provoke, get attention, and has an ego.
USUBlue, you should refer to this comment as the point I was trying to make. I was not trying to be a cheerleader, I was simply trying to correct you on your mistake. I’m sure you know a lot about basketball and that is great, but here are some accurate statistics and facts compared to things you have said.

It’s true, if people have thin skin they should not be on this thread. Therefore, if you cannot handle people also voicing their opinions then you shouldn’t be on here. Don’t let what others say make you feel threatened, everyone is just talking and trying to show things from their point of view. I’m sorry if you got the idea that I was only on here for praising players, I was just simply just trying to correct you where I felt you were factually wrong.

I look forward to many more basketball post from you and others. Talking sports and different point of views from others is fun and it’s nice to see different thoughts, don’t let it hurt your feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GameTime made a solid post about excessive hyperbole in my posts. Therefore I will be far more specific in the negatives I see. So for correction purposes:
1. If our recruiting steps up like I expect with Smith, Bean should not be playing more than an average of 8 minutes per game next year, which is more than he's currently averaging this year. By the way, since we'll have plenty of scholarships available next year (probably 3-4 still), if Smith really wants and is impressed with Bean, he could just give him one of those scholarships.
2. That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
3. I'm not sure the 30 points against Taylor was an exaggeration. I'm going to review the film and see. But I remember 13 points very specifically in about 10 minutes of the 2nd half alone. No "help defense" issues; straight up Quinn's man scoring in his face. "Lucky 3's" - what was lucky was that Quinn was the one guarding him. I wonder if every 3 Quinn makes is defined by the other team as a Lucky 3. Given his 0-fer game at Nevada, Air Force may have thought Quinn's shooting was lucky also.

There, everyone more satisfied.
I understand that it would be annoying to feel like you have to please people, but you are right in the aspect that you don’t. But with this statement you just made, it is a WAY better explanation of your thoughts and I now can see better where you’re trying to come from. You should see the statement after the game by Coach Smith that I think helps people better understand the defense they were shooting for and what he had to his players. But I do appreciate your better feedback on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've listened to Smith's post game twice and watched the game twice. I was not talking about avoiding the back cuts (even though AF does a very poor job of running the Princeton offense now -- this coach of their's is not as good as past coaches in the scheme), I was talking about Quinn's on-ball defense where he simply didn't defend his man well enough to not give up easy 3's (that's not a help defense issue since he's on-ball; that's not a back cut issue since he's on-ball; etc.) And Smith's reference to "Lucky 3's" is a kind way of not calling a player out. I wouldn't have called Quinn out either, except in the general his "defense was poor", but since you want more, that's what you'll get. I know what I'm watching and I understand what Smith was saying.



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: Bean

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 3:35 pm

USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:20 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:55 pm
gametime12 wrote:Blue...I personally don't have any issue with analysis grounded in numbers or reality (i.e. breaking down film), critical or not. As I said before this thread got out of control, much of your commentary falls under the category of "hot takes" - opinions just thrown out there without anything of substance to back it up. Just from this thread, I'll provide some examples:

"Bean will not even average 8 minutes a game next year."
- Where did that come from, outside the fact that he's a walk on? This was right after the Eastern Oregon game, in which he played 18 minutes. You said this, I have to presume, without any knowledge of his background (HS stats or story) or watching any of his HS film. Any reasonable person (as evidenced by the majority of people in this thread) can see that based on the current roster construction, Bean has a chance to contribute. That's it - not become the next great Aggie, etc. Just to carve out a steady role (10-15 minutes/game) on this team. This was a "hot take".

"Except he can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass." (Referring again to Bean)
- Once again...where is your basis for this? He canned his only 3 in the Eastern Oregon game with a nice-looking jump shot. He shot 45% from 3 per the high school stats that several people have posted in this thread. Who knows how he will shoot in college??? I'd say based on the limited stuff I've seen in his highlights and games that he has a chance to be a good shooter. I don't think any reasonable person would say he can't shoot. There's just not any data out there that backs that up. Just because he hasn't shot outside much doesn't mean he "can't". Same goes for dribbling/passing. He had nice passes to Quinn and Queta that I can remember off the top of my head against Nevada and Air Force. He only has 2 turnovers in the minutes he has played.

"Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight...he must have given up 30...Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot."
- 30 points was an exaggeration and again a "hot take". If you wanna go back and re-watch the game and count every bucket Taylor's guy scored, then I would be fine with that criticism.
-The rest of that post is a little more forgivable, but still just a misunderstanding of the defense and personnel. The player you're referring to that made a lot of those threes was Keaton Van Soelen (he went 4-5 from 3 against us). This is from Coach Smith post game: "They made some tough twos and then they were drilling every three. We’ve been able to defend very well. I thought a lot of those shots were tough shots and guarded shots. You have to give credit to No. 44 for them, Keaton Van Soelen, who made a three against New Mexico the other night, but he had three the whole year coming into tonight and goes 4-for-5 for 16 points and put a lot of pressure on us." Air Force is ranked 252nd in the nation in 3PM and 272nd in 3P%. In short, the Aggies strategy was to prevent paint shots and layups that are staples of the Princeton offense. They were not concerned with running them off of the 3 pt line. They wanted Air Force to take those 3s. To call the makes "lucky" would be disrespectful, but they were absolutely unexpected and caught the Aggies off-guard - particularly from Van Soelen who had only made 3 all year coming into the game.

In summary, Blue, if your analysis is critical but it's grounded in data or film, etc. I don't think most people will have an issue with it. When you say things like I've pointed out above, you come across as being negative in order to provoke someone else or because you're just a negative person.

Furthermore, when you call someone an idiot for calling you out, and then threaten to analyze every single mistake of a player who has given a lot of time and effort to this program, you once again come across as just a generally negative person who likes to provoke, get attention, and has an ego.
USUBlue, you should refer to this comment as the point I was trying to make. I was not trying to be a cheerleader, I was simply trying to correct you on your mistake. I’m sure you know a lot about basketball and that is great, but here are some accurate statistics and facts compared to things you have said.

It’s true, if people have thin skin they should not be on this thread. Therefore, if you cannot handle people also voicing their opinions then you shouldn’t be on here. Don’t let what others say make you feel threatened, everyone is just talking and trying to show things from their point of view. I’m sorry if you got the idea that I was only on here for praising players, I was just simply just trying to correct you where I felt you were factually wrong.

I look forward to many more basketball post from you and others. Talking sports and different point of views from others is fun and it’s nice to see different thoughts, don’t let it hurt your feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GameTime made a solid post about excessive hyperbole in my posts. Therefore I will be far more specific in the negatives I see. So for correction purposes:
1. If our recruiting steps up like I expect with Smith, Bean should not be playing more than an average of 8 minutes per game next year, which is more than he's currently averaging this year. By the way, since we'll have plenty of scholarships available next year (probably 3-4 still), if Smith really wants and is impressed with Bean, he could just give him one of those scholarships.
2. That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
3. I'm not sure the 30 points against Taylor was an exaggeration. I'm going to review the film and see. But I remember 13 points very specifically in about 10 minutes of the 2nd half alone. No "help defense" issues; straight up Quinn's man scoring in his face. "Lucky 3's" - what was lucky was that Quinn was the one guarding him. I wonder if every 3 Quinn makes is defined by the other team as a Lucky 3. Given his 0-fer game at Nevada, Air Force may have thought Quinn's shooting was lucky also.

There, everyone more satisfied.
I understand that it would be annoying to feel like you have to please people, but you are right in the aspect that you don’t. But with this statement you just made, it is a WAY better explanation of your thoughts and I now can see better where you’re trying to come from. You should see the statement after the game by Coach Smith that I think helps people better understand the defense they were shooting for and what he had to his players. But I do appreciate your better feedback on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've listened to Smith's post game twice and watched the game twice. I was not talking about avoiding the back cuts (even though AF does a very poor job of running the Princeton offense now -- this coach of their's is not as good as past coaches in the scheme), I was talking about Quinn's on-ball defense where he simply didn't defend his man well enough to not give up easy 3's (that's not a help defense issue since he's on-ball; that's not a back cut issue since he's on-ball; etc.) And Smith's reference to "Lucky 3's" is a kind way of not calling a player out. I wouldn't have called Quinn out either, except in the general his "defense was poor", but since you want more, that's what you'll get. I know what I'm watching and I understand what Smith was saying.
Coach Smith said in his post game that the defense on our end was good, that they made some tough shots. I personally don’t see how that would make Taylor’s defense bad against AF, but I can see where you would think that. Everyone has different opinions, it’s ok that you don’t agree with mine and it’s fine if you think that and I don’t agree.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:35 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:20 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:55 pm
gametime12 wrote:Blue...I personally don't have any issue with analysis grounded in numbers or reality (i.e. breaking down film), critical or not. As I said before this thread got out of control, much of your commentary falls under the category of "hot takes" - opinions just thrown out there without anything of substance to back it up. Just from this thread, I'll provide some examples:

"Bean will not even average 8 minutes a game next year."
- Where did that come from, outside the fact that he's a walk on? This was right after the Eastern Oregon game, in which he played 18 minutes. You said this, I have to presume, without any knowledge of his background (HS stats or story) or watching any of his HS film. Any reasonable person (as evidenced by the majority of people in this thread) can see that based on the current roster construction, Bean has a chance to contribute. That's it - not become the next great Aggie, etc. Just to carve out a steady role (10-15 minutes/game) on this team. This was a "hot take".

"Except he can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass." (Referring again to Bean)
- Once again...where is your basis for this? He canned his only 3 in the Eastern Oregon game with a nice-looking jump shot. He shot 45% from 3 per the high school stats that several people have posted in this thread. Who knows how he will shoot in college??? I'd say based on the limited stuff I've seen in his highlights and games that he has a chance to be a good shooter. I don't think any reasonable person would say he can't shoot. There's just not any data out there that backs that up. Just because he hasn't shot outside much doesn't mean he "can't". Same goes for dribbling/passing. He had nice passes to Quinn and Queta that I can remember off the top of my head against Nevada and Air Force. He only has 2 turnovers in the minutes he has played.

"Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight...he must have given up 30...Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot."
- 30 points was an exaggeration and again a "hot take". If you wanna go back and re-watch the game and count every bucket Taylor's guy scored, then I would be fine with that criticism.
-The rest of that post is a little more forgivable, but still just a misunderstanding of the defense and personnel. The player you're referring to that made a lot of those threes was Keaton Van Soelen (he went 4-5 from 3 against us). This is from Coach Smith post game: "They made some tough twos and then they were drilling every three. We’ve been able to defend very well. I thought a lot of those shots were tough shots and guarded shots. You have to give credit to No. 44 for them, Keaton Van Soelen, who made a three against New Mexico the other night, but he had three the whole year coming into tonight and goes 4-for-5 for 16 points and put a lot of pressure on us." Air Force is ranked 252nd in the nation in 3PM and 272nd in 3P%. In short, the Aggies strategy was to prevent paint shots and layups that are staples of the Princeton offense. They were not concerned with running them off of the 3 pt line. They wanted Air Force to take those 3s. To call the makes "lucky" would be disrespectful, but they were absolutely unexpected and caught the Aggies off-guard - particularly from Van Soelen who had only made 3 all year coming into the game.

In summary, Blue, if your analysis is critical but it's grounded in data or film, etc. I don't think most people will have an issue with it. When you say things like I've pointed out above, you come across as being negative in order to provoke someone else or because you're just a negative person.

Furthermore, when you call someone an idiot for calling you out, and then threaten to analyze every single mistake of a player who has given a lot of time and effort to this program, you once again come across as just a generally negative person who likes to provoke, get attention, and has an ego.
USUBlue, you should refer to this comment as the point I was trying to make. I was not trying to be a cheerleader, I was simply trying to correct you on your mistake. I’m sure you know a lot about basketball and that is great, but here are some accurate statistics and facts compared to things you have said.

It’s true, if people have thin skin they should not be on this thread. Therefore, if you cannot handle people also voicing their opinions then you shouldn’t be on here. Don’t let what others say make you feel threatened, everyone is just talking and trying to show things from their point of view. I’m sorry if you got the idea that I was only on here for praising players, I was just simply just trying to correct you where I felt you were factually wrong.

I look forward to many more basketball post from you and others. Talking sports and different point of views from others is fun and it’s nice to see different thoughts, don’t let it hurt your feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GameTime made a solid post about excessive hyperbole in my posts. Therefore I will be far more specific in the negatives I see. So for correction purposes:
1. If our recruiting steps up like I expect with Smith, Bean should not be playing more than an average of 8 minutes per game next year, which is more than he's currently averaging this year. By the way, since we'll have plenty of scholarships available next year (probably 3-4 still), if Smith really wants and is impressed with Bean, he could just give him one of those scholarships.
2. That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
3. I'm not sure the 30 points against Taylor was an exaggeration. I'm going to review the film and see. But I remember 13 points very specifically in about 10 minutes of the 2nd half alone. No "help defense" issues; straight up Quinn's man scoring in his face. "Lucky 3's" - what was lucky was that Quinn was the one guarding him. I wonder if every 3 Quinn makes is defined by the other team as a Lucky 3. Given his 0-fer game at Nevada, Air Force may have thought Quinn's shooting was lucky also.

There, everyone more satisfied.
I understand that it would be annoying to feel like you have to please people, but you are right in the aspect that you don’t. But with this statement you just made, it is a WAY better explanation of your thoughts and I now can see better where you’re trying to come from. You should see the statement after the game by Coach Smith that I think helps people better understand the defense they were shooting for and what he had to his players. But I do appreciate your better feedback on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've listened to Smith's post game twice and watched the game twice. I was not talking about avoiding the back cuts (even though AF does a very poor job of running the Princeton offense now -- this coach of their's is not as good as past coaches in the scheme), I was talking about Quinn's on-ball defense where he simply didn't defend his man well enough to not give up easy 3's (that's not a help defense issue since he's on-ball; that's not a back cut issue since he's on-ball; etc.) And Smith's reference to "Lucky 3's" is a kind way of not calling a player out. I wouldn't have called Quinn out either, except in the general his "defense was poor", but since you want more, that's what you'll get. I know what I'm watching and I understand what Smith was saying.
Coach Smith said in his post game that the defense on our end was good, that they made some tough shots. I personally don’t see how that would make Taylor’s defense bad against AF, but I can see where you would think that. Everyone has different opinions, it’s ok that you don’t agree with mine and it’s fine if you think that and I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our help defense was very good, but in the 2nd half their lucky 3's also was due to poor on ball defense. I'm sure in Smith's sound bite, he didn't want to review the defense play by play. But I image in "film", he'll have some things to add. USU had a good overall defensive game against AF, Quinn did not.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2124
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Re: Bean

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Smith in the post game mentioned that they had backed off of shooters who they had not identified as 3 point shooters, and that they tightened it up in their timeout after those same non-shooters started making shots. I think they were 8/10 to start the second half from 3, and 0-8 after the adjustment to finish the second half. One kid who had made 3 3-pointers all season hit 4 against us. The coaches had the boys sagging off, which is not on the players, if they were executing the coach's strategy. Once changed, and implemented, the strategy made a difference.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 4:03 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Smith in the post game mentioned that they had backed off of shooters who they had not identified as 3 point shooters, and that they tightened it up in their timeout after those same non-shooters started making shots. I think they were 8/10 to start the second half from 3, and 0-8 after the adjustment to finish the second half. One kid who had made 3 3-pointers all season hit 4 against us. The coaches had the boys sagging off, which is not on the players, if they were executing the coach's strategy. Once changed, and implemented, the strategy made a difference.
I heard that as well; but there was more. Funny that most of their made shots during that stretch were man up against Quinn, including one on a switch and another inside.



dirtnsnow
Posts: 143
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Re: Bean

Post by dirtnsnow » January 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:03 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Smith in the post game mentioned that they had backed off of shooters who they had not identified as 3 point shooters, and that they tightened it up in their timeout after those same non-shooters started making shots. I think they were 8/10 to start the second half from 3, and 0-8 after the adjustment to finish the second half. One kid who had made 3 3-pointers all season hit 4 against us. The coaches had the boys sagging off, which is not on the players, if they were executing the coach's strategy. Once changed, and implemented, the strategy made a difference.
I heard that as well; but there was more. Funny that most of their made shots during that stretch were man up against Quinn, including one on a switch and another inside.
I wouldn't say most. Queta sagged off his guy a few times and the result was a 3.


Aggies All the Way!

User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2124
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Re: Bean

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2019, 4:08 pm

If the strategy was to lay off the shooters at that point, one would expect that the shooter would be open. They made those shots during the period that CS had them playing off the shooters. Once they tightened up, AF didn't make another 3.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm

I will have my Quinn defense analysis minute by minute in the next couple of days before the Fresno game. Not everything he did poorly on defense was attributed to laying off shooters.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2124
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Re: Bean

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I'm sure it wasn't. I was only talking about the 3 point shots. But that's a cool hobby you have!



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2175
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Re: Bean

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 7th, 2019, 4:23 pm

USUBlue wrote:I will have my Quinn defense analysis minute by minute in the next couple of days before the Fresno game. Not everything he did poorly on defense was attributed to laying off shooters.
Seems like a very productive use of your time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Wasn’t looking for that hobby, but I’ve had it requested of me. Apparently I need to be more specific in my negative analysis. If it’s harsh to say Quinn had a bad game on defense, I guess I better get more details for them



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2175
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Re: Bean

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 7th, 2019, 4:25 pm

USUBlue wrote:Wasn’t looking for that hobby, but I’ve had it requested of me. Apparently I need to be more specific in my negative analysis. If it’s harsh to say Quinn had a bad game on defense, I guess I better get more details for them
Knock yourself out. Seems weird but it’s your time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

bluegrouse
Posts: 2286
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: Bean

Post by bluegrouse » January 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm
I will have my Quinn defense analysis minute by minute in the next couple of days before the Fresno game. Not everything he did poorly on defense was attributed to laying off shooters.
I, for one, just can’t wait.....



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm
I will have my Quinn defense analysis minute by minute in the next couple of days before the Fresno game. Not everything he did poorly on defense was attributed to laying off shooters.
I, for one, just can’t wait.....
This is going to be awesome. Sometimes in the middle of the night you’re just called to do something new. Between that and gametime not wanting me to talk in hyperbole, I’ve got my calling



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12451
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am

Re: Bean

Post by brownjeans » January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm
That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
It bothers me when single examples are extrapolated as evidence that a player lacks skill.





This post doesn't claim Bean has handles, but it refutes that one mistake is proof that he doesn't.



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: Bean

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 4:35 pm

USUBlue wrote:Wasn’t looking for that hobby, but I’ve had it requested of me. Apparently I need to be more specific in my negative analysis. If it’s harsh to say Quinn had a bad game on defense, I guess I better get more details for them
I don’t think anyone asked for a detailed analysis from you. I was just saying that when you explain thing better with facts WHEN you make a statement and it’s backed up then people wouldn’t question your opinion or observation. I think it was just stated, that if you do critique at least have it be actual things that can be backed up, but when you say he has poor defense and tons of other people are proving to you otherwise with stats and facts then it seems like your comment is wrong. Truly sorry if I offended you, it was just my personal opinion, you do not have to listen to mine.

So if you would like to spend your time assessing a player and all their negative attributes they have in a game, by all means go ahead. I don’t think that was the point from most of us, but it is your time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



bluegrouse
Posts: 2286
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: Bean

Post by bluegrouse » January 7th, 2019, 4:39 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm
I will have my Quinn defense analysis minute by minute in the next couple of days before the Fresno game. Not everything he did poorly on defense was attributed to laying off shooters.
I, for one, just can’t wait.....
This is going to be awesome. Sometimes in the middle of the night you’re just called to do something new. Between that and gametime not wanting me to talk in hyperbole, I’ve got my calling
Yeah, awesome.....

Seems like such a noble calling too.



NVAggie
Posts: 14183
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!

Re: Bean

Post by NVAggie » January 7th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Make sure to include video of the failures.



AggieBlueMint
Posts: 20
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Re: Bean

Post by AggieBlueMint » January 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm
That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
It bothers me when single examples are extrapolated as evidence that a player lacks skill.





This post doesn't claim Bean has handles, but it refutes that one mistake is proof that he doesn't.
As the moderator said earlier (about page 2 or 3) that's the only negative (besides being a walk-on) thing blue could find about Bean so he holds onto it like a dog and his bone. What about the flying out of bounds rebound save (that I don't think they gave him credit for)? Or saving a wild pass from Merrill?? No mention of those???



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 7:07 pm

AggieBlueMint wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm
That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
It bothers me when single examples are extrapolated as evidence that a player lacks skill.





This post doesn't claim Bean has handles, but it refutes that one mistake is proof that he doesn't.
As the moderator said earlier (about page 2 or 3) that's the only negative (besides being a walk-on) thing blue could find about Bean so he holds onto it like a dog and his bone. What about the flying out of bounds rebound save (that I don't think they gave him credit for)? Or saving a wild pass from Merrill?? No mention of those???
At your request, I will only do four weeks on Quinn, and then I will jump to Bean and document the holes in his game as well. I would hate to let you think that I’m leaving him out



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2175
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Re: Bean

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 7th, 2019, 7:21 pm

USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm
That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
It bothers me when single examples are extrapolated as evidence that a player lacks skill.





This post doesn't claim Bean has handles, but it refutes that one mistake is proof that he doesn't.
As the moderator said earlier (about page 2 or 3) that's the only negative (besides being a walk-on) thing blue could find about Bean so he holds onto it like a dog and his bone. What about the flying out of bounds rebound save (that I don't think they gave him credit for)? Or saving a wild pass from Merrill?? No mention of those???
At your request, I will only do four weeks on Quinn, and then I will jump to Bean and document the holes in his game as well. I would hate to let you think that I’m leaving him out
So you’re going to spend hours of your time reviewing tape just to locate every mistake that a couple of kids made in a basketball game for the purpose of broadcasting it publicly on a message board just to prove that they aren’t as good as someone said they were? You don’t find that weird?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

User avatar
bigblue
2012 Gridiron KickOff Pick'em Champion & 2016 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1832
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston

Re: Bean

Post by bigblue » January 7th, 2019, 8:16 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm
That behind the back dribble move by Bean was terrible; many AAU 8th graders make that dribble move with ease. He wasn't show boating -- he did it in the flow, but couldn't pull it off without almost stopping and looking down for the ball. It shows a lack of ball skills that most skill athletes that aren't a center do easily.
It bothers me when single examples are extrapolated as evidence that a player lacks skill.





This post doesn't claim Bean has handles, but it refutes that one mistake is proof that he doesn't.
As the moderator said earlier (about page 2 or 3) that's the only negative (besides being a walk-on) thing blue could find about Bean so he holds onto it like a dog and his bone. What about the flying out of bounds rebound save (that I don't think they gave him credit for)? Or saving a wild pass from Merrill?? No mention of those???
At your request, I will only do four weeks on Quinn, and then I will jump to Bean and document the holes in his game as well. I would hate to let you think that I’m leaving him out
So you’re going to spend hours of your time reviewing tape just to locate every mistake that a couple of kids made in a basketball game for the purpose of broadcasting it publicly on a message board just to prove that they aren’t as good as someone said they were? You don’t find that weird?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The funny thing is even the best players have holes in their game. Maybe Blue can start a whole new line of stats that only focus on the negative results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk




Long distance drunk.

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14056
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Contact:

Re: Bean

Post by treesap32 » January 7th, 2019, 8:31 pm

If be interested in a play by play, minute by minute list of all player failures, not just the walk-ons. I know you are fixated on proving the failures of the walk-ons, but don't let that limit your research. Please include videos and rank the severity of each failure. Keep a running ranking, by player, based on the quantity and severity of failures and refer to the failures in a minimum of 85% of the threads in the basketball forum. Ensure that no more than 50% of the comments on the failures are linked to walk-ons. I know that will be hard, but please consider that there are far more scholarship athletes than walk-ons, and thus there should be a much larger number of failures by scholarship players to pull from.

Please email a weekly breakdown of these failures to Coach Smith so he can address them in practice and refer to them in his recruiting. Also copy Hartwell and schedule weekly meetings with him where you can go over these failures while also assessing the participation of players and player families on this public message board that has no official affiliation with Utah State University.

I'm sure that if you follow these guidelines your time will be very well spent and your life, and the lives of many others will be enriched. Especially our student athletes, their families, our committed recruits, prospective athletes, fans, and definitely most importantly yourself. Your often self touted Superior knowledge about the game of basketball will be even greater as a result of this endeavor (if that is even possible).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk




USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4149
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 7th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Sorry sap, I’m only taking requests from players families



GordoAggie
Posts: 129
Joined: November 15th, 2014, 7:29 am

Re: Bean

Post by GordoAggie » January 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm

What a fan........🤮



NVAggie
Posts: 14183
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!

Re: Bean

Post by NVAggie » January 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

I've done it with my kids for years...I also spent Christmas alone this year.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12451
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am

Re: Bean

Post by brownjeans » January 8th, 2019, 9:54 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:51 am
I've done it with my kids for years...I also spent Christmas alone this year.
Christmas is where you went wrong, adopt Festivus, it has a built-in function for pointing out faults and airing grievances.

(always use a chance to post a seinfeld clip)



NVAggie
Posts: 14183
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!

Re: Bean

Post by NVAggie » January 8th, 2019, 10:00 am

So I suppose Festivus is not over until USUBlue pins Tania?

LET'S RUMBLE



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5232
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah

Re: Bean

Post by aggies22 » January 8th, 2019, 10:11 am

What if he points out successes and failures when he does his analysis?



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 461
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am

Re: Bean

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 8th, 2019, 10:13 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:11 am
What if he points out successes and failures when he does his analysis?
then he has to start ALL OVER because he didn't do it right :noidea:



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Bean

Post by ChicAggie » January 8th, 2019, 10:43 am

Blue takes Thoreau's observation that “[t]he mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation” to a whole new level.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

SLB
Posts: 473
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 8th, 2019, 3:49 pm

This thread was started because has some ability to play, and he did well in his first game with decent playing. I attended that Eastern Oregon game, and I felt that Bean outplayed Taylor and Brown which is impressive for a RS freshmen who hasn't played much. Smith seemed to like Bean based post game comments. Bean continue to outplay Taylor and Brown the next game. In the Air Force game, Bean played well again.



SLB
Posts: 473
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 8th, 2019, 5:22 pm

SLB wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:49 pm
This thread was started because Bean has shown flashes ability to play in the earlier part of the season, and he did well in his first game with decent playing time. I attended that Eastern Oregon game, and I felt that Bean outplayed Taylor and Brown which is impressive for a RS freshmen who hasn't played much. Smith seemed to like Bean based post game comments. Bean continue to outplay Taylor and Brown the next game. In the Air Force game, Bean played well again.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic