Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 2nd, 2019, 11:30 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:29 pm
If our walk on players are better than our scholarship players, time to get new scholarship players
Brown and Taylor are seniors.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 2nd, 2019, 11:54 pm

SLB wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:30 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:29 pm
If our walk on players are better than our scholarship players, time to get new scholarship players
Brown and Taylor are seniors.
I am talking about Ainge, T Knight, and Any other scholarship player on the team That can’t play better than a walk on. Like Porter or Bean



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1036
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Bean

Post by trombone_ninja » January 3rd, 2019, 12:04 am

USUBlue wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:29 pm
If our walk on players are better than our scholarship players, time to get new scholarship players
We already knew we needed new scholarship players. It would’ve been difficult for Duryea to leave the cupboard any more bare for Smith lol I’m not worried about getting better players in the next few years. We’ll just have to see how Bean measures up to those guys as he improves.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2050
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Bean

Post by ineptimusprime » January 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am

The issue isn’t really Brown and Taylor (who are what they are but are moving on after this year). The issue is guys like Grootfaam and Stall taking up scholarships moving forward. I highly doubt either of those guys ever really contributes much given their injury histories.

Queta is a major hit. JK3 was a hit (but it is rumored he apparently can’t do school). Jury is still out on TK, and I would like to see him get more minutes. Fakira looks like a whiff at this point.

We’ve got the scholarship that was supposed to go to Rayquan Evans and maybe JK3’s scholarship to work with. It would be nice if Stall or Groot would move on too to free up another.



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1219
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Bean

Post by Jjoey53 » January 3rd, 2019, 10:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:The issue isn’t really Brown and Taylor (who are what they are but are moving on after this year). The issue is guys like Grootfaam and Stall taking up scholarships moving forward. I highly doubt either of those guys ever really contributes much given their injury histories.

Queta is a major hit. JK3 was a hit (but it is rumored he apparently can’t do school). Jury is still out on TK, and I would like to see him get more minutes. Fakira looks like a whiff at this point.

We’ve got the scholarship that was supposed to go to Rayquan Evans and maybe JK3’s scholarship to work with. It would be nice if Stall or Groot would move on too to free up another.

True, but Fakira sets one mean pick.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 496
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Bean

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 3rd, 2019, 10:29 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am
The issue isn’t really Brown and Taylor (who are what they are but are moving on after this year). The issue is guys like Grootfaam and Stall taking up scholarships moving forward. I highly doubt either of those guys ever really contributes much given their injury histories.

Queta is a major hit. JK3 was a hit (but it is rumored he apparently can’t do school). Jury is still out on TK, and I would like to see him get more minutes. Fakira looks like a whiff at this point.

We’ve got the scholarship that was supposed to go to Rayquan Evans and maybe JK3’s scholarship to work with. It would be nice if Stall or Groot would move on too to free up another.
DIsagree about TK and BF....

I commented to my wife and son that I'm not sure I have EVER seen TK make a layup...dude is SO out of control that if it's not a break-away dunk, it's almost certainly going to be a turn-over or a horrible shot. He needs to learn to settle down and finish at the rim. True, he can at least get to the rim, unlike the others. We are in BAD shape at the PG position. Not sure anyone really deserves any time.

Fakira looks like he is wearing a back brace or rib protector of some sort...does anyone know what that's about? Not sure he's 100% out there, and if not, I'm not ready to call a whiff just yet. You can't teach size, and he's got that together with a real willingness to play physically. IMO, we need that...at very least in an 'enforcer' role off the bench.

Man, I hope CS can pull something out of his hat (sleeve?) this next recruiting cycle. We just can't go into next year relying on Crew, Abel, and the Tasmanian Devil as our PGs...



Aggie84025
Posts: 365
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Bean

Post by Aggie84025 » January 3rd, 2019, 10:37 am

The point guard situation is in real bad shape. When Ainge/Porter are out there they cannot make shots and they cannot penetrate and get to the rim. It is almost as if they we are playing 4 on 5. We need to get a solid point guard in here for next year.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 3rd, 2019, 1:34 pm

Per game stats over the last 2 games for Bean
13 minutes per game
8 points per game
6 rebounds per game
1 assist per game
1.5 steals per game
0 blocks per game
0 TOs and 0 PFs per game
Shooting percentage over those 2 games
6-12 from the field- 50%
1-1 on 3s- 100%
3-5 on FTs- 60%



User avatar
MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 5940
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Bean

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

Considering Smith is a GATA dude who loves hustle, I don't see how Bean hasn't at least earned more PT. He goes after rebounds, specifically offensive rebounds, with reckless abandon and is big/athletic enough to come down with a ton of em. With how poorly we are shooting lately, that could very well help us win some ball games



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm
Considering Smith is a GATA dude who loves hustle, I don't see how Bean hasn't at least earned more PT. He goes after rebounds, specifically offensive rebounds, with reckless abandon and is big/athletic enough to come down with a ton of em. With how poorly we are shooting lately, that could very well help us win some ball games
And yet he couldn't even finish his own putbacks from 2 feet. We need better scholarship players, not walkons that have limited skills.



gametime12
Posts: 125
Joined: February 1st, 2018, 8:50 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bean

Post by gametime12 » January 3rd, 2019, 2:50 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm
Considering Smith is a GATA dude who loves hustle, I don't see how Bean hasn't at least earned more PT. He goes after rebounds, specifically offensive rebounds, with reckless abandon and is big/athletic enough to come down with a ton of em. With how poorly we are shooting lately, that could very well help us win some ball games
And yet he couldn't even finish his own putbacks from 2 feet. We need better scholarship players, not walkons that have limited skills.
eh...it happens. It was just one of those nights for just about everybody. Good things happen when he's in - I'd like to see what he does with consistent minutes.



NVAggie
Posts: 15023
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Bean

Post by NVAggie » January 3rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

I look at Bean on two levels.
1. For the long haul, we should look to have much better talent than Mr. Bean.
2. For this season, we are not going to add anyone, so we might as well see if we can utilize his talents and make the team better.

I think he has a small impact on the game against lesser opponents and when our scholarship players are not getting it done. His ceiling doesn't seem to be as high as our scholarship players, but maybe he will prove me wrong if given more minutes. At the end of the day, I want the best players on the floor regardless of their school financing.



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1036
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Bean

Post by trombone_ninja » January 3rd, 2019, 3:57 pm

Justin’s older brother is a good friend of mine. He came across this thread and reached out to me (it’s easy for people who know me to recognize my username, apparently...) because he wanted people here to learn some background info about him that you might not be able to get otherwise. Obviously his family are a bit biased, but they know firsthand how good a kid Justin is and how hard he has worked to get this far and how hard he’s willing to keep working. Here’s what his brother had to say about him:

Justin played at Southmoore High School in Oklahoma, which is 6A (largest distinction in Oklahoma). As a Junior, he averaged 19.5 ppg & 10 rpg (led all of 6A in rebounding) while shooting 45% from 3. Justin tore his ACL the week before playoffs and was barely able to get back on the court playing again by the time his senior season began. He still averaged 16 ppg & 9 rpg while shooting 35% from 3 his senior season. Justin’s averages came against really good competition in OKC. In his conference alone, he played against the following D1 scholarship players 2x a year:

Trae Young (NBA)
Lindy Waters (Oklahoma State University)
Kristian Doolittle (University of Oklahoma)
DaQuan Jeffries (University of Tulsa)
Curran Scott (University of Tulsa)
Marcus Dickinson (Boise St University)
Omega Harris (UTEP)
Jakolby Long (Iowa State)
Austin Meyer (Rice)
Tyson Jolly (Baylor University)

The other OK 6A conference featured several more, including 76ers 2-way player Shake Milton.

Justin was under-recruited for a couple of reasons - for one he didn't play on an elite AAU team because he didn't want to play on Sundays (he's LDS). He found an AAU team that would respect that, but it was not a well known, elite AAU team. However, the primary reason teams missed on Justin is that he tore his ACL before his most important summer of recruiting (between his junior and senior year). Justin was relatively unknown before coming onto the scene his junior year. There were lots of D1 caliber players in Justin's conference, and after a great Junior year, he wasn't able to capitalize on it over the summer on the AAU circuit due to the ACL tear. With no D1 offers coming into his senior year, he still put together a great senior season at Southmoore, coming within a game of the state tourney and losing to the eventual runner up in a close game.

We don't know what Justin will become at Utah State or how good he'll be. We don’t know what role Coach Smith will ask him to take on. In high school Justin played mostly on the wing as a 2 or 3 - that’s obviously not the case for him right now, and we think he’s adjusted well to that change. What we do know is very few walk-ons do what he did in high school. In fact, not a whole lot of scholarship players do what he did in high school, against that level of competition. If you compare his HS stats to the HS stats of current USU scholarship players or currently committed players, you'll find that to be true. We also believe nobody will work harder than Justin, because that’s who he is and he’s always got a chip on his shoulder. He views every practice and every game as a chance to prove himself. He'll represent the school well and he'll give it everything he has. He loves the passion of the coaches, his teammates, the fans and so do we! We're rooting hard for the Aggies and are looking forward to the team’s continued success.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12736
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Bean

Post by brownjeans » January 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Most walkons lack athleticism, skill, size, or a combination of those and that's why they're walkons. There are some critics who see the walkon status as a scarlet letter and their bias against that removes their objectivity. They don't criticize Bean's game, they just say that he's a walkon as though that tells you all you need to know and no further analysis is needed.

I think if you objectively watch bean you can see that he's got size, athleticism, decent skill, and he's reasonably tough. I also think we have plenty of scholarship players who lack the size, athleticism, and skill to get time on a MWC contender (if that's who we want to be, we need to turnover about half the roster). Bean's certainly not perfect, but he's got potential. Is he worthy of a scholarship next year? I don't know, but comparing what I've seen of Bean to the players on this year's team, I think Bean should get more playing time in the remaining games this season.



Murkymerk
Posts: 178
Joined: March 31st, 2015, 10:53 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Bean

Post by Murkymerk » January 3rd, 2019, 6:03 pm

We’ve had several walk-ons succeed on the football, but have we had any end up being good on the basketball team? I honestly don’t know.
I do like Bean, and I think he can be a solid contributor in the coming years. I would like to see him get more playing time this year, and maybe a scholarship next year.



Chupamedia
Posts: 1166
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Bean

Post by Chupamedia » January 3rd, 2019, 11:58 pm

Marvin Jean is the latest walk-on success I can think of. Although “walk-on” for him requires a little more back story.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 741
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Bean

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am

I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 741
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Bean

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 4th, 2019, 1:12 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
Why do you say he can't shoot? He doesn't shoot because he doesn't play much. Against Eastern Oregon he was 5-7 and made the one three that he shot. Against Nevada he went 1-5, to be fair. But that was about what the rest of the team was shooting.

That's not really my point though. My point is that I would like to see him develop more the next year or two, because he is surprisingly athletic and I like the spark he provides. I'm not saying he'll do that this year, but I do think he should be getting 5-10 minutes per game right now.



gametime12
Posts: 125
Joined: February 1st, 2018, 8:50 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bean

Post by gametime12 » January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2019, 2:50 pm

gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Bean inbounded the ball a lot which is passing the ball. I feel like that Bean and Queta is a good combo like that assist by Bean to Queta's dunk. Bean doesn't turn the ball over, and we need less TOs. Bean doesn't commit fouls, and we need less fouls.
I have been more impressed with Bean than Taylor or Brown. Taylor is the same Taylor for 4 years which is ok, but not really good enough. Brown makes so many dumb plays, so less minutes of that is great.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm

gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not a slow LB into a CB, but a CB into a LB may be possible). FBall allows for 1-skill type of players (edge rusher, short yardage RB, cover corner, possession receiver, etc.) On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

I'm more interested in players like Nevada has. In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that becomes the board favorite.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known. There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, size and strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not slow LB into a CB, but CB into a LB may be possible). On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that has become the
A lot of us are excited at the prospect of an upgrade over Taylor and Brown (especially Brown). Brown is a turnover machine, and it got so bad that Smith benched Brown in the Nevada game. Taylor and Brown are seniors, and we know that this is the best that they can do. We are all hoping that Bean fills that need at the forward position, and I hope that we start Bean in this upcoming game against Air Force because Air Force is a crappy team that we will destroy anyways (why not see what he can do in a bigger role). Fakira is still struggling and gets into foul trouble, but to be fair he is a true freshmen.



gomretat
Posts: 508
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Bean

Post by gomretat » January 4th, 2019, 4:19 pm

The B in SLB stands for Bean.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm

SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known. There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, size and strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not slow LB into a CB, but CB into a LB may be possible). On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that has become the
A lot of us are excited at the prospect of an upgrade over Taylor and Brown (especially Brown). Brown is a turnover machine, and it got so bad that Smith benched Brown in the Nevada game. Taylor and Brown are seniors, and we know that this is the best that they can do. We are all hoping that Bean fills that need at the forward position, and I hope that we start Bean in this upcoming game against Air Force because Air Force is a crappy team that we will destroy anyways (why not see what he can do in a bigger role). Fakira is still struggling and gets into foul trouble, but to be fair he is a true freshmen.
Bean will not fill any role -- the more he plays the more his weaknesses (that left him without scholarship) are exposed. Instead, hope that Smith recruits better players and that Bean never sees the court next year.

BTW, we had a guy like SLB the last few years telling us how great Duryea was as a coach, and how great the players were going to be, and how we just need to give it more time. He also promised us that he had no ties to Duryea and was an Aggie first and always. Funny, now that Duryea is in Boise, he's disappeared! I see SLB as a Troll.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm
SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known. There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, size and strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not slow LB into a CB, but CB into a LB may be possible). On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that has become the
A lot of us are excited at the prospect of an upgrade over Taylor and Brown (especially Brown). Brown is a turnover machine, and it got so bad that Smith benched Brown in the Nevada game. Taylor and Brown are seniors, and we know that this is the best that they can do. We are all hoping that Bean fills that need at the forward position, and I hope that we start Bean in this upcoming game against Air Force because Air Force is a crappy team that we will destroy anyways (why not see what he can do in a bigger role). Fakira is still struggling and gets into foul trouble, but to be fair he is a true freshmen.
Bean will not fill any role -- the more he plays the more his weaknesses (that left him without scholarship) are exposed. Instead, hope that Smith recruits better players and that Bean never sees the court next year.

BTW, we had a guy like SLB the last few years telling us how great Duryea was as a coach, and how great the players were going to be, and how we just need to give it more time. He also promised us that he had no ties to Duryea and was an Aggie first and always. Funny, now that Duryea is in Boise, he's disappeared! I see SLB as a Troll.
I never said that Duryea was some great coach, but many hope like myself the highest rated recruits coming in were supposed to be good. I was last year the most negative about Duryea, and I got kinda attacked on this board because of that. I always hope the Aggies to win, and my time rooting for the Aggies I have never seen a Aggie team as good as this one. I have never could be happier than the fact in my time rooting for the Aggies at the possible chance at NCAA tournament, and I have faith in this team at making the NCAA tournament.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Bean

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm

SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm
SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known. There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, size and strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not slow LB into a CB, but CB into a LB may be possible). On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that has become the
A lot of us are excited at the prospect of an upgrade over Taylor and Brown (especially Brown). Brown is a turnover machine, and it got so bad that Smith benched Brown in the Nevada game. Taylor and Brown are seniors, and we know that this is the best that they can do. We are all hoping that Bean fills that need at the forward position, and I hope that we start Bean in this upcoming game against Air Force because Air Force is a crappy team that we will destroy anyways (why not see what he can do in a bigger role). Fakira is still struggling and gets into foul trouble, but to be fair he is a true freshmen.
Bean will not fill any role -- the more he plays the more his weaknesses (that left him without scholarship) are exposed. Instead, hope that Smith recruits better players and that Bean never sees the court next year.

BTW, we had a guy like SLB the last few years telling us how great Duryea was as a coach, and how great the players were going to be, and how we just need to give it more time. He also promised us that he had no ties to Duryea and was an Aggie first and always. Funny, now that Duryea is in Boise, he's disappeared! I see SLB as a Troll.
I never said that Duryea was some great coach, but many hope like myself the highest rated recruits coming in were supposed to be good. I was last year the most negative about Duryea, and I got kinda attacked on this board because of that. I always hope the Aggies to win, and my time rooting for the Aggies I have never seen a Aggie team as good as this one. I have never could be happier than the fact in my time rooting for the Aggies at the possible chance at NCAA tournament, and I have faith in this team at making the NCAA tournament.
Remember many folks laughed that I said that was potential in Brito, and I thought that he had potential at starting. I admit that I was off at the starting part, but my point about potential about Brito being decent player and playing was not a bad prediction from 2 years ago.



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1219
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Bean

Post by Jjoey53 » January 4th, 2019, 5:37 pm

USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
gametime12 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
I'm fairly new to the forum but you got more hot takes than Skip Bayless haha I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Bean's first play in the Nevada game was *dribbling* down the court and *passing* to Queta for a dunk. His shot mechanics look good to me in the few times I've seen him shoot this season.

Bottom line: Nobody is saying this kid is the next all-time great Aggie. All people are saying is that he has provided a spark when he's come in, and he has the chance to get consistent minutes (if even only 5-10 a game) in the future. He has been a pleasant surprise, being a relative unknown going into the season. If he can contribute, I don't care if he has a scholarship or not. I'm rooting for every player to do well.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't try to bring in better players. There's not a coach in the country who isn't trying to bring in better players than he currently has.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known. There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, size and strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not slow LB into a CB, but CB into a LB may be possible). On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that has become the
A lot of us are excited at the prospect of an upgrade over Taylor and Brown (especially Brown). Brown is a turnover machine, and it got so bad that Smith benched Brown in the Nevada game. Taylor and Brown are seniors, and we know that this is the best that they can do. We are all hoping that Bean fills that need at the forward position, and I hope that we start Bean in this upcoming game against Air Force because Air Force is a crappy team that we will destroy anyways (why not see what he can do in a bigger role). Fakira is still struggling and gets into foul trouble, but to be fair he is a true freshmen.
Bean will not fill any role -- the more he plays the more his weaknesses (that left him without scholarship) are exposed. Instead, hope that Smith recruits better players and that Bean never sees the court next year.

BTW, we had a guy like SLB the last few years telling us how great Duryea was as a coach, and how great the players were going to be, and how we just need to give it more time. He also promised us that he had no ties to Duryea and was an Aggie first and always. Funny, now that Duryea is in Boise, he's disappeared! I see SLB as a Troll.

He is a relative of Bean, or Bean has compromising pics.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12736
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Bean

Post by brownjeans » January 4th, 2019, 6:36 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not a slow LB into a CB, but a CB into a LB may be possible). FBall allows for 1-skill type of players (edge rusher, short yardage RB, cover corner, possession receiver, etc.) On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

I'm more interested in players like Nevada has. In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that becomes the board favorite.
Blue, I very much value your opinions when it comes to basketball, but I think your dismissing Bean as a "walk on" without looking very far beyond that. Forget that he's a walk on for a minute and take a look at his HS stats (https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/1455380), see how they align with his limited Aggie stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... elog/2019/). His HS and Aggie stats align in a reasonable way. Would that continue if he was getting more PT and usage? I don't know, it'd probably drop some.

But take a look at his height and athleticism - he has versatility to play wing and PF in small lineups. Take a look at his highlight videos from his HS years (http://www.hudl.com/profile/2307821/Justin-Bean/videos). Then consider his story - that he blew his ACL after his Jr season, played on a recovered knee his Sr. year and didn't make AAU a priority. With that story it's not surprising that he wasn't heavily recruited. Then he went on a mission and was totally forgotten. Guys like Bean have two choices, try to walk on somewhere, or go JC. If he was at a JC, would you dismiss him like this, or would you wait and see if he was worthy of a scholarship later? What's the difference?

Now, I'm not saying he's a star, but I think he shows some versatility AND I think he's better than about half of our current roster. We need to recruit a lot of better players - but that's the future, for right now, let's forget who's on scholarship and who's a walk on and play the best players. From what I've seen on the court so far, I think Bean is roughly the six or seventh best player on this team right now.

Without dismissing him as a "walk on" what do you think of his actual game?



User avatar
Zaggie07
Posts: 855
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:28 pm
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Bean

Post by Zaggie07 » January 4th, 2019, 8:11 pm

brownjeans wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

There are reasons why basketball walkons are very different than football walkons in ability to improve, etc. For one, strength is much more important in FBall than BBall and FBall players can work themselves into a position in FBall (not a slow LB into a CB, but a CB into a LB may be possible). FBall allows for 1-skill type of players (edge rusher, short yardage RB, cover corner, possession receiver, etc.) On the other hand, it's rare to see a walkon in BBall develop additional athletic explosiveness; a player can't have just 1 skill in BBall (like rebounding). Better than mediocre BBall players need all the skills; even post players have to be able to handle the ball, pass, good footwork and shoot.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player. So I'm not interested in if Bean is better than Quinn or Porter or Ainge or whatever mediocre player you want to list. Let's hope Smith recruits players that are good enough that Bean transfers to Holy Names to get playing time and takes one of their scholarships.

I'm more interested in players like Nevada has. In any event, here's to the next mediocre walkon that becomes the board favorite.
Blue, I very much value your opinions when it comes to basketball, but I think your dismissing Bean as a "walk on" without looking very far beyond that. Forget that he's a walk on for a minute and take a look at his HS stats (https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/1455380), see how they align with his limited Aggie stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... elog/2019/). His HS and Aggie stats align in a reasonable way. Would that continue if he was getting more PT and usage? I don't know, it'd probably drop some.

But take a look at his height and athleticism - he has versatility to play wing and PF in small lineups. Take a look at his highlight videos from his HS years (http://www.hudl.com/profile/2307821/Justin-Bean/videos). Then consider his story - that he blew his ACL after his Jr season, played on a recovered knee his Sr. year and didn't make AAU a priority. With that story it's not surprising that he wasn't heavily recruited. Then he went on a mission and was totally forgotten. Guys like Bean have two choices, try to walk on somewhere, or go JC. If he was at a JC, would you dismiss him like this, or would you wait and see if he was worthy of a scholarship later? What's the difference?

Now, I'm not saying he's a star, but I think he shows some versatility AND I think he's better than about half of our current roster. We need to recruit a lot of better players - but that's the future, for right now, let's forget who's on scholarship and who's a walk on and play the best players. From what I've seen on the court so far, I think Bean is roughly the six or seventh best player on this team right now.

Without dismissing him as a "walk on" what do you think of his actual game?
I completely agree with brownjeans. IMO, once a player is on the team, they are on the team for that year and the players who play best should play. Nothing can really be done in-season about the composition of the roster. We should recruit the best players we can for the following year. Hopefully we fill each open scholarship with better players than we lose. The players who play best that year should play. I don't really care how they made the team.

Usually, a walk on won't be one of the ten best players. However, it isn't unthinkable that a walk on could be a rotation player due to extenuating circumstances. Tai Wesley could have been a walk on at byu had he chose that. Would he not have been good enough to play for them? It seems there is a case to be made that Bean isn't a typical walk on.

Also, Bean won the dunk contest before the season. That would indicate he is pretty athletic, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk





AggieBlueMint
Posts: 21
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 11:27 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Bean

Post by AggieBlueMint » January 5th, 2019, 12:28 am

I love the movie "Moneyball." I'd love to see Bean get more playing time. They say stats don't lie. The numbers look good for limited playing time right now.



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 3:49 am

SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm
I never said that Duryea was some great coach, but many hope like myself the highest rated recruits coming in were supposed to be good. I was last year the most negative about Duryea, and I got kinda attacked on this board because of that. I always hope the Aggies to win, and my time rooting for the Aggies I have never seen a Aggie team as good as this one. I have never could be happier than the fact in my time rooting for the Aggies at the possible chance at NCAA tournament, and I have faith in this team at making the NCAA tournament.
I always cheer for the Aggies to win also, but I've seen some great teams over the 55 years I've been watching. I can promise you, this year's team is nothing special, but we do play hard and are well coached -- just have a real lack in talent. This is not even close to an NCAA tournament team; I'd be thrilled to get a look from the NIT. We'll get better under Smith, but we won't get better with walkons playing significant minutes.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4869
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 100 times

Re: Bean

Post by Aglicious » January 5th, 2019, 4:33 pm

gomretat wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:19 pm
The B in SLB stands for Bean.
Sir Lotta Bean?



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14337
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 111 times
Contact:

Re: Bean

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Mr. Bean has been impressive thus far. He's seriously an elite rebounder.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14337
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 111 times
Contact:

Re: Bean

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 5:32 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
If all you can compare Mr. Bean to is Dennis Rodman, that doesn't demean him as much as you've been trying to in this thread. If Mr Bean is a Dennis Rodman lite, the more playing time he gets, the better.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic