John Knight III

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Old Timer
Posts: 68
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 6:17 pm

John Knight III

Post by Old Timer » January 7th, 2019, 10:42 am

Transferring form USU per Verbal commits



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 1720
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by ineptimusprime » January 7th, 2019, 10:55 am

:bangwall:



User avatar
bigblue
2012 Gridiron KickOff Pick'em Champion & 2016 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1832
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston

Re: John Knight III

Post by bigblue » January 7th, 2019, 11:09 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status ... 4073570309

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Long distance drunk.

User avatar
usu99
Posts: 537
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am
Location: Davis County

Re: John Knight III

Post by usu99 » January 7th, 2019, 11:12 am

School was too hard. That is pretty sad.


For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

Aggiesbleedblue
Posts: 136
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 7th, 2019, 11:13 am

Hope it was worth playing Ainge and Porter over him smh



User avatar
Full
Posts: 1511
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County

Re: John Knight III

Post by Full » January 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

Does this mean he sits out until the end of the 2020 Spring semester? Tough loss, I wish home the best.



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 11:15 am

Dang, I just saw that tweet. Very unfortunate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 11:15 am

Full wrote:Does this mean he sits out until the end of the 2020 Spring semester? Tough loss, I wish home the best.
Yes, he would be eligible to play until January 2020


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 527
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 7th, 2019, 11:17 am

Maybe he will transfer to BYU? They make honor code exceptions for athletes and inflate grades too. JKIII prolly ends up with a 3.4 GPA down there.

In all honesty tho, it's a tough loss. Wish he could've stayed and worked out his issues.

It's hard to lose your third most athletic player behind Taylor and Bean.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4697
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$

Re: John Knight III

Post by Aglicious » January 7th, 2019, 11:17 am

Wow. He was very supportive of his teammates and engaged with the game even in street clothes. He seemed to have a great attitude, I have to wonder if this has to do with more than the academic struggles?



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 11:22 am

aggieup15 wrote:
Full wrote:Does this mean he sits out until the end of the 2020 Spring semester? Tough loss, I wish home the best.
Yes, he would be eligible to play until January 2020


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I meant *will not* be eligible to play until January 2020


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggieup15
Posts: 60
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggieup15 » January 7th, 2019, 11:28 am

Aglicious wrote:Wow. He was very supportive of his teammates and engaged with the game even in street clothes. He seemed to have a great attitude, I have to wonder if this has to do with more than the academic struggles?
My thoughts exactly, he really has been such a big asset to our team and very supportive off and on the court. Sad to see him go


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: John Knight III

Post by ChicAggie » January 7th, 2019, 11:51 am

We hardly knew ye.

Probably should have spent more time in the classroom and studying and less time on his hair.
Last edited by ChicAggie on January 7th, 2019, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

IdAggie
Posts: 116
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by IdAggie » January 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Failed out of USU after one semester. Best of luck to him going forward, hopefully he has learned from this and can do better at his next stop. I am sure that failing out after a semester is going to hurt his prospects.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: John Knight III

Post by ChicAggie » January 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm

IdAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm
hopefully he has learned from this and can do better at his next stop
I agree that I hope he has learned from this, but more importantly I hope the current Aggie athletics/academics team has learned from this and can figure out how to avoid allowing this to happen with other players in the future. I know you can't do their work for them, but systems should be in place to make certain athletes are in class everyday, getting their work done and turned in, and getting the best tutoring possible to prepare for each exam. Not sure how an athlete falls through the cracks in this day and age even if they don't really try at all.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ThunderAggie
Posts: 79
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by ThunderAggie » January 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I was really looking forward to seeing him develop with Coach Smith and I really think he would have been a pivotal role player by his junior or even sophomore seasons, especially with all of his athleticism. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes and best of luck to him.....hopefully he can keep his grades up at his new home!



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5238
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggies22 » January 7th, 2019, 12:38 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm
IdAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm
hopefully he has learned from this and can do better at his next stop
I agree that I hope he has learned from this, but more importantly I hope the current Aggie athletics/academics team has learned from this and can figure out how to avoid allowing this to happen with other players in the future. I know you can't do their work for them, but systems should be in place to make certain athletes are in class everyday, getting their work done and turned in, and getting the best tutoring possible to prepare for each exam. Not sure how an athlete falls through the cracks in this day and age even if they don't really try at all.
Ding! Ding! Ding!



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: John Knight III

Post by ChicAggie » January 7th, 2019, 12:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:38 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm
IdAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm
hopefully he has learned from this and can do better at his next stop
I agree that I hope he has learned from this, but more importantly I hope the current Aggie athletics/academics team has learned from this and can figure out how to avoid allowing this to happen with other players in the future. I know you can't do their work for them, but systems should be in place to make certain athletes are in class everyday, getting their work done and turned in, and getting the best tutoring possible to prepare for each exam. Not sure how an athlete falls through the cracks in this day and age even if they don't really try at all.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
I assume you're right. I didn't try very hard in college, and it was a breeze. :)


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2124
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Is it known factually that the staff let him fall through the cracks, or is that just conjecture?



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am

Re: John Knight III

Post by brownjeans » January 7th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Sometimes the horse won't even let you lead it to water.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5238
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggies22 » January 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Is it known factually that the staff let him fall through the cracks, or is that just conjecture?
100% conjecture. These kids are given so many opportunities when it comes to academic support that many of us that attended college would be jealous of all that is given to them. The only way that this support system that our athletes have fails is if they literally do not try.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2124
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2019, 1:45 pm

That's my view as well. If a student athlete wants to pass, it is easy to do, support systems or not. I don't see this as a failure of the system at all. This is all on JK3, in my opinion only.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: John Knight III

Post by ChicAggie » January 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Pure conjecture on my part, except for the fact that the student apparently did fail. There's a bit of a "the thing speaks for itself" situation here. While you might not be able to make the horse drink, you can shove the unwilling's head in and get him wet. I assume some students need hand-holding more than others, and JKIII apparently needed more hand-holding than he got. Yes, 99% of the blame probably lies with the student, but my only point was that hopefully the current athletic/academic team learned from this situation that there are some players whose heads need to be shoved into the water because they ain't going to do it themselves.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

thetrueaggie
Posts: 95
Joined: October 10th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by thetrueaggie » January 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I don't understand how anyone could not keep up with their academics. You take 12 credits of easy classes, normally all online, and professors are incredibly flexible with athletes. I get it that you're busy, but passing college classes is not difficult.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2287
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by bluegrouse » January 7th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Well, that sucks - for him and for the team. Really like the kid and wanted him to succeed. Still do, wherever he goes.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am

Re: John Knight III

Post by brownjeans » January 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Pure conjecture on my part, except for the fact that the student apparently did fail. There's a bit of a "the thing speaks for itself" situation here. While you might not be able to make the horse drink, you can shove the unwilling's head in and get him wet. I assume some students need hand-holding more than others, and JKIII apparently needed more hand-holding than he got. Yes, 99% of the blame probably lies with the student, but my only point was that hopefully the current athletic/academic team learned from this situation that there are some players whose heads need to be shoved into the water because they ain't going to do it themselves.
Honestly, if we have to have someone to hand-hold a player to that extent, that player better be the next Shaquille O'Neal. If he's not the next Shaq, find a new player.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 79
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by ThunderAggie » January 7th, 2019, 8:20 pm

https://usustatesman.com/utah-states-kn ... -transfer/
Here is the USU statesman article...mainly the same info



bpd
Posts: 784
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by bpd » January 7th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Craig Smith said tonight on the coaches show that JK3 would have been ineligible 2nd semester.

I don’t know the situation, but Knight transferring seems like a bad option for both parties. Why doesn’t he just sit out, get his grades up and come back in the fall?

Anybody go to the luncheon today? Maybe they would have more information.



sockpuppet
Posts: 989
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am

Re: John Knight III

Post by sockpuppet » January 8th, 2019, 5:27 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 11:13 am
Hope it was worth playing Ainge and Porter over him smh
Are you suggesting that he was so depressed by his playing minutes that he shut down and couldn't perform his schoolwork? And did you know, JK3 played more minutes than both Ainge and Porter in literally every game except the Irvine game where USU won by 30 points and Ainge played junk minutes?



Donald_Sullivan
Posts: 135
Joined: December 10th, 2017, 8:11 am

Re: John Knight III

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 8th, 2019, 7:35 am

Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.



usubullzone
Posts: 32
Joined: April 12th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by usubullzone » January 8th, 2019, 8:29 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.
the thing is that JK3 is very athletic and we need an athletic point guard



bluegrouse
Posts: 2287
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: John Knight III

Post by bluegrouse » January 8th, 2019, 9:19 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.
Not for this year.....



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5238
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah

Re: John Knight III

Post by aggies22 » January 8th, 2019, 9:29 am

bluegrouse wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:19 am
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.
Not for this year.....
It doens't matter. What's done is done. JK3 took himself out of the equation for this. It's not like he was cut.



NVAggie
Posts: 14183
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!

Re: John Knight III

Post by NVAggie » January 8th, 2019, 9:38 am

I think he is the kind of guy who wants to just play basketball. He isn't very interested in the whole student thing.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2064
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: John Knight III

Post by ChicAggie » January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Honestly, if we have to have someone to hand-hold a player to that extent, that player better be the next Shaquille O'Neal. If he's not the next Shaq, find a new player.
It's hard to disagree with that, but the Ags will never have the next Shaq. Nor does it seem that there should be different treatment for any player regardless of talent.

It may be completely naive of me to believe this, but it does seem possible to construct a system with no cracks to fall through -- without violating NCAA or school policies on students performing their own work. Again, that may be naive, and I may be entirely wrong, but it seems possible.

That said, it would be interesting to know in this case exactly what steps the tutors and babysitters took to ensure JKIII was on top of things and whether there was anything different they could have done. It shouldn't have to happen, but apparently with JKIII extreme babysitting and hand-holding measures were necessary. Let me say that again:
Not just babysitting and hand-holding. EXTREME babysitting and EXTREME hand-holding. :)


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic