Queta. 18 pts, 15 reb, 6 ast, 4 blk

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505

Re: Queta. 18 pts, 15 reb, 6 ast, 4 blk

Post by Usu0505 » February 6th, 2019, 8:36 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 8:11 am
Usu0505 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 8:06 am
I saw a comment on sam being better than carroll. Initially i agreed but all these highlights reminded me just how amazing Jaycee was.

Anybody with a more knowledgeable mind than mine know why Jaycee never got a shot in the league? I would think he could have been a kyle korver type easily.
It boils down to size. Jaycee is listed at 6'2", while korver is 6'7". The NBA values measurables very highly.
Thats kinda what i thought. Crazy that a few more inches and it's a diff story for him.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

SLB wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 2:19 am
NBA talent is there, but Queta has to know that making NBA is no guarantee.
I hope that he stays here for 4 years because Utah State can be a powerhouse team with Queta and help him in getting a degree.
Alternatively, he should utilize the new NCAA rules that allow him to test the waters and see if he can become an instant millionaire and change his life forever. If the time isn't right, based on good information from reliable sources, then he should come back.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2019, 8:56 am

I like Merrill more than Jaycee. That doesn't diminish Jaycee in my eyes at all. Jaycee is the better shooter. I like Merrill because he is a more complete player on both sides of the ball. I'm also loving what I see out of Queta. I'm just going to enjoy it all right now.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 6th, 2019, 9:04 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 8:56 am
I like Merrill more than Jaycee. That doesn't diminish Jaycee in my eyes at all. Jaycee is the better shooter. I like Merrill because he is a more complete player on both sides of the ball. I'm also loving what I see out of Queta. I'm just going to enjoy it all right now.
Same, doesnt even really matter. Its just amazing to have aggie bball back. Really an impressive win.
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
BigVBAg

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 6th, 2019, 10:13 am

What I don't understand is why Queta doesn't take more 3s. He's shooting .400 from beyond the arc -- clearly a better 3-point shooter than Merrill, Miller, or Brito.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 6th, 2019, 10:15 am

I would feel more comfortable with that when he develops a 3 point hook shot.

ChicAggie

Re: Queta

Post by ChicAggie » February 6th, 2019, 10:26 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:40 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm
Ag4life wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:26 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:19 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:14 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm
Queta is the most talented player since Estes I'd guess. Merrill is not far behind, if Koby stayed it would've been a crazy amount of talent for one team
I know this will be controversial but I don't think we'd be as good with McEwen this year. His leaving allowed Merrill's leadership to take over the team and I don't think he would've bought into the ball movement philosophy this team has adopted.
That is not controversial to anyone who understands team basketball.
The only reason it should be controversial is whether or not we think Smith could have controlled Koby a bit more and made him a team player. After seeing the offense duryea ran last year compared to smith, I’d say there’s a good shot Smith would have maximized that talent to work for this team.
Except we already saw that selfish players don't work in his system with the JK3 situation.
Ehhh, we looked like a much better team with JK3 at times. He was a little selfish offensively but overall he brought a lot to the table. Porter has stepped up big time though and we are peaking at the right time
It is crazy to me that these myths about Koby continue to spring up. Perhaps it makes certain posters feel better about themselves. Back it up with stats or specific examples if you're going to criticize a player. Not just that he's too selfish or had too high an opinion of himself or that he didn't play team ball. Remember he was coached by Duryea, not Smith. And don't compare him to JK3. Kobe was far more talented, nor was JK3 let go because he wasn't a "team player." There were other problems there.

Stang did an admirable job responding to these same criticisms of Koby months ago:
There are a shockingly high number of posters in this thread who feel like it will somehow make them feel better about this situation if they tear the kid apart.

I've been around USU basketball for a long time, and aside from Spencer Nelson I don't know if I've ever seen a kid work as hard as Koby did while he was here. He eat, sleeps, and dreams basketball, and if you think he wasn't a competitor or didn't care about winning, you're dead wrong. He just didn't get the guidance he needed to turn his work ethic into NBA talent. Why do you think he wants to leave USU, a program who hasn't had an NBA player in 50 years? He's got the right attitude, the right talent, the right mindset, and the right work ethic to do very, very well under a good coach at a higher level.

Let's look at his "downsides":

Inconsistency

I mean, he started out slow (partially due to injury) then once conference play rolled around he scored double digits in 18 of 21 games, had 5 or more rebounds and 3 or more assists in 16 of them, and was really quite good night in and night out. With better coaching he'll gain more consistency.

Low basketball IQ

I can't think of one single instance the past couple of years where I felt like "wow, Koby really doesn't know the game of basketball." I don't know where this one is coming from, other than that it's a frequent thing that people throw out in an argument to insult a basketball player.

Poor shot selection and he forces a lot of shots

This does need work, I won't argue that. However, you need to look at the offensive system he was playing in. A lot of times he would get the ball in his hands with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock and be expected to jack something up. A lot of times he didn't have a decent option to pass to. But yes, shot selection does need some work.

High turnover rate

He was 12th in the MW in assist to turnover ratio, and had 15 less turnovers this season than future NBA first-round pick Chandler Hutchinson, sooo...

Very few assists for a PG

I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. He was 10th in the Mountain West in assists per game. The only guy ahead of him in APG who also scored more than he did was Chandler Hutchinson. Koby in this system, with the talent that surrounded him, was a score-first guard as he should have been.

Poor FG percentage and Poor 3 point FG percentage especially for a PG

Again, this goes back to shot selection which I admit he needs to work on. A year off with a high-major coach and a different offensive system will benefit him greatly in this regard.

Averages less than one steal per game

This seems really nit-picky, especially considering that there's one guy on the team (Sam) who averages that. And he's at exactly 1.0 SPG.

Lacks team leadership

Unless you've been inside the huddle your (and anyone else on this board's) opinion on this matter is completely irrelevant. I've been to several practices where I've seen him lead. I know that many of his teammates feel quite highly of him. I know for a fact that he is very commonly the first one in the gym and the last one out. This is an intended personal attack with nothing to back it.

Selfish and not a team first kind of player

Again, subjective and I'm assuming that you know him very well and personally to make this kind of remark?

Poor Attitude ((I can't express myself without swearing) and whines a lot and blames other players and refs

In this case, 80% of NBA players are absolute garbage who you wouldn't want on your team. This is the nature of basketball in today's world. Plus, you can't honestly say you feel like Mountain West refs are even half-way decent at officiating a game. He often had a case. You say you want him to be a team leader but then say he's "(I can't express myself without swearing)" when he holds his teammates accountable and expects them to play well?
I believe strongly that this could be a Sweet Sixteen team if Koby were still here. He would take a heck of a lot of pressure off Sam and others. Didn't anyone else notice last night that the Ags are SO thin at PG that Sam and Brito were forced into significant primary ball-handling duties? That absolutely cannot help Sam's game.
Last edited by ChicAggie on February 6th, 2019, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicAggie

Re: Queta

Post by ChicAggie » February 6th, 2019, 10:28 am

Double post.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » February 6th, 2019, 10:31 am

I mean, Queta is obviously amazing, and I'm not trying to diminish from what he did last night. He's incredible. He might be the most skilled player to ever play at USU.

But if we are talking Aggie GOAT (and therefore my favorite Aggie), let's pass on the insanely talented Freshman in favor of a 4-year, all-time Aggie leading scorer (who in my opinion will never be caught), Top 10 in Aggie steals and Top 20 in Aggie assists.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 6th, 2019, 11:07 am

a three point contest between carol and merrill would be fun to watch!!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:15 am
Yeah. He should DEFINITELY be working on that.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
ESPECIALLY during warmups.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 7):
MetsJetsAggiesBigVBAgPacobagsneedbigblueChodNVAggie

Aggies All the Way!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 6th, 2019, 3:30 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
ESPECIALLY during warmups.
:lol:
:golfclap:

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » February 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I think we have one more year with Queta. He needs to get stronger to be an NBA player. Once we see him getting those little lobs and throwing them down then we know he is gone. Ala James Harden to Clint Capela. I like to compare him to Capela. But yeah, he needs a much stronger lower body, he spends to much time on the floor.

Merrill with dribble penetration draws Quetas's defender, Merrill throws it up and Boom Shakalaka! I would like to see this next year.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 6th, 2019, 6:10 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 12:01 am
bluegrouse wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:53 pm
One other very big point about Queta tonight. After he picked up his third foul early in the second half, Smith left him in the game when conventional wisdom would say you sit him for awhile. He didn’t pick up another one.
I've never understood the coaching philosophy of sitting your top players when they're in foul trouble. In order to save players for the final minutes, it seems counterproductive to sit them for extended periods while the game is still being decided.
Potential rationale depending on the situation: A player may be more prone to picking up another foul while he is tired or frustrated by the previous call. By pulling him for a couple of minutes, he gets a breather. The coaching staff can talk about how the refs are calling it, what the other team is doing to draw the fouls, and other details with the player while he is on the bench. As long as the win isn't becoming out of reach, a short rest to re-energize and refocus could be beneficial to help the player perform at a higher level while he is in the game, and to hopefully reduce the odds of fouling out. If the backups aren't holding down the fort, the foul plagued player probably won't sit as long. Hind sight is 20/20 and the coaches don't know how it will play out when they actually make the decision.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
NVAggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
I saw a comment on sam being better than carroll. Initially i agreed but all these highlights reminded me just how amazing Jaycee was.

Anybody with a more knowledgeable mind than mine know why Jaycee never got a shot in the league? I would think he could have been a kyle korver type easily.
It boils down to size. Jaycee is listed at 6'2", while korver is 6'7". The NBA values measurables very highly.
I always figured it was due to him being a defensive liability, but his height contributes to that.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 7th, 2019, 8:39 am

Pacobag wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

I always figured it was due to him being a defensive liability, but his height contributes to that.
I've heard this as well, but I've never quite understood it. Jaycee is listed at number 7 all time in steals for USU, and also had a 36" vertical. Steals and blocks wouldn't be a problem. Size would, especially in the NBA, where switching on screens seems to be the norm, and zone defense is less prevalent.

Aggies All the Way!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 8:39 am
Pacobag wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

I've heard this as well, but I've never quite understood it. Jaycee is listed at number 7 all time in steals for USU, and also had a 36" vertical. Steals and blocks wouldn't be a problem. Size would, especially in the NBA, where switching on screens seems to be the norm, and zone defense is less prevalent.
Part of the reason he is number 7 in steals is due to him playing more minutes than any other player ever at USU. USUstats lists him at ~4500 minutes played, 600 minutes higher than #2, Tyler Newbold, at ~3900.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 7th, 2019, 9:00 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 8:58 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Part of the reason he is number 7 in steals is due to him playing more minutes than any other player ever at USU. USUstats lists him at ~4500 minutes played, 600 minutes higher than #2, Tyler Newbold, at ~3900.
Doing the math, Jaycee had .026 steals/minute, or 1 steal every 37 minutes. I'm not even sure that's good, just a product of being on the court so much.

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » February 7th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm
I think we have one more year with Queta. He needs to get stronger to be an NBA player. Once we see him getting those little lobs and throwing them down then we know he is gone. Ala James Harden to Clint Capela. I like to compare him to Capela. But yeah, he needs a much stronger lower body, he spends to much time on the floor.

Merrill with dribble penetration draws Quetas's defender, Merrill throws it up and Boom Shakalaka! I would like to see this next year.
I love what the coaching staff had been doing with the pick and role between Merrill and Queta. They aren't getting the lob but they are using it to get Queta deep post position when he roles. Merrill kicks it over to the wing and they feed Queta.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 7th, 2019, 11:37 pm

February 7th, 2019, 9:00 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Doing the math, Jaycee had .026 steals/minute, or 1 steal every 37 minutes. I'm not even sure that's good, just a product of being on the court so much.
A fair point, but that implies that anyone should be getting steals at that clip. He was no defensive wunderkind, but he wasn't a liability, either, imo.

Aggies All the Way!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 8th, 2019, 12:30 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:37 pm
February 7th, 2019, 9:00 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

A fair point, but that implies that anyone should be getting steals at that clip. He was no defensive wunderkind, but he wasn't a liability, either, imo.
I agree, I think he would have done well on the right team in the NBA, but he just didn't get the shot, and that's too bad. Fortunately, it sounds like he's made a small fortune in Spain, so that's good for him.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 8th, 2019, 4:32 am

FWIW- Stew said Jaycee couldn't guard a chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 8th, 2019, 7:40 am

Jaycee was an elite scorer, especially from deep. He also was a mediocre defender. I think he could have found a spot in the NBA, but Europe paid him more than he was going to make trying to show the NBA he belongs. He found a place that fits him, and has made a bunch of money. Good for him.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 8th, 2019, 7:57 am

Jaycee is far and away my favorite and the greatest player I have ever watched play college basketball. I began to realize we had diverging special his freshman year when he effortlessly drilled a 30 footer to beat the shot clock against BYU.

Jaycee played harder than anyone in that he played 35+ a night and never stopped. He was in constant motion working to get open and then made opponents pay for every little mistake. Imagine what he could have done week decent big men. Those double baseline cuts and curling cuts around screens were just flat out lethal (beautiful).

I think the NBA missed out on terrific Steve Kerr type player, but I don't think Jaycee had many regrets about how his career had gone. He had found stability and success in getting paid a ton of money to play the fake he loves.

I love Merrill and have been as high on him as anyone since his junior year of high school. The kid is a winner, good shooter, and makes the right play all the time.

Queta is just different. Now that he is figuring out how not to get screwed by the refs every time down the floor he is becoming a monster. He will pay in the NBA.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
PacobagNVAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 8th, 2019, 9:27 am

Blitz79 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm
I think we have one more year with Queta.
I know this doesn't mean a whole he11 of a lot, but NBADraft.net does not even have Queta ranked in the top 100 NBA draft prospects at this point. I expect that is largely because he is unknown and hasn't yet made it onto a lot of radar screens, but I hope the fact that he IS an unknown will keep him around for another year or two.

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:57 am
Jaycee is far and away my favorite and the greatest player I have ever watched play college basketball. I began to realize we had diverging special his freshman year when he effortlessly drilled a 30 footer to beat the shot clock against BYU.

Jaycee played harder than anyone in that he played 35+ a night and never stopped. He was in constant motion working to get open and then made opponents pay for every little mistake. Imagine what he could have done week decent big men. Those double baseline cuts and curling cuts around screens were just flat out lethal (beautiful).

I think the NBA missed out on terrific Steve Kerr type player, but I don't think Jaycee had many regrets about how his career had gone. He had found stability and success in getting paid a ton of money to play the fake he loves.

I love Merrill and have been as high on him as anyone since his junior year of high school. The kid is a winner, good shooter, and makes the right play all the time.

Queta is just different. Now that he is figuring out how not to get screwed by the refs every time down the floor he is becoming a monster. He will pay in the NBA.

The dangers of posting from your iPhone using Tapatalk.

Joking aside, I tend to agree with all of your points. Jaycee was a joy to behold. Since I moved to Chicago in 1991, I have been to only two conference tournaments. The first was Jaycee's freshman year when the Ags beat Pacific in the championship game and Jaycee was named the tournament MVP. I have to wonder if he is the only freshman in Big West history to earn that honor. Jaycee was top 5 in the league during all four years at USU in FG% -- a tough thing for a guard to accomplish. He was first in the WAC in 3P% three years in a row and finished as the career WAC 3P% leader -- and is second in NCAA history in 3P%. He is the WAC career leader in TS% and is second in eFG%. He is second in both the WAC and in NCAA history in career Offensive Win Shares (would be the career leader in the WAC but for the fact that USU was in the WAC for only 3 of Jaycee's 4 seasons). I don't think this all came to Jaycee due to natural-born talent. Jaycee earned the reputation of being the hardest working player in games, practices, and on his own of perhaps any player in USU history. He may also have been the best rebounding 6'2" player I have ever seen. Jaycee was top 10 in the WAC both his junior and senior seasons in rebounds per game. Unheard of for a 6'2" guard. But for his defensive reputation and being a 'tweener, he absolutely would have played in the NBA.

I have said this many times, but Merrill's game reminds me a TON of Chris Mullin. He's crafty, he makes all the right plays, he is always in the right position, he is a solid defender, and he can be an absolutely deadly shooter. If Merrill works hard in the offseason to become bigger, faster, and stronger and can get his 3-point shooting back up into the low- to mid-.400s, he might actually have a shot at the NBA.

But as much as I love both Jaycee and Merrill, Queta is easily the most likely future NBA talent I have ever seen don an Aggie uniform (Nate Williams, Wayne Estes, etc. were before my time). Queta has surprisingly good footwork, agility, passing ability, and ball-handling skills, and is an absolute beast defending the paint. He is somewhat reminiscent of Mutombo in that respect, but I think he has a much higher ceiling on the offensive side of the court.
Last edited by ChicAggie on February 8th, 2019, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 8th, 2019, 9:56 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 4:32 am
FWIW- Stew said Jaycee couldn't guard a chair.

My recollection is that he said that Jaycee couldn’t guard a chair when he got to Utah State. He improved significantly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic