Coach Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NAggsty Butler

Coach Smith

Post by NAggsty Butler » February 5th, 2019, 11:29 pm

At the end of his post game interview with Scotty he yelled "GO AGGIES!"

I love this guy. I can't believe we got him. We are so lucky to have him. His energy is infectious. I hope he sticks around for a long time.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Coach Smith

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm

He yells Go Aggies with every interview. And what an interview he is!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm

If the Aggies keep this up for the remainder of the season and finish alone in 2nd place, is there any way he doesn’t win the coach of the year award. Musselman’s team was picked to win the conference by everyone and we were picked to finish 9th. You tell me who has done the better coaching job.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22NVAggienewtonianblue

dogie

Post by dogie » February 5th, 2019, 11:48 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm
If the Aggies keep this up for the remainder of the season and finish alone in 2nd place, is there any way he doesn’t win the coach of the year award. Musselman’s team was picked to win the conference by everyone and we were picked to finish 9th. You tell me who has done the better coaching job.
And he did it with Summit League level players!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 6th, 2019, 4:49 am

dogie wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:48 pm
utaggies wrote:
I’m tired of all these summit league recruits we play with. Can’t get anything done with them.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 6th, 2019, 6:47 am

utaggies wrote:
Exactly what is was thinking BUT we've also seen what this conference thinks of our coaches and players when it comes to post season awards. We had a football third-team All-American earn second-team all-conference honors for crying out loud. I'm sure Musselman will end up with the hardware.

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » February 6th, 2019, 8:21 am

Musselman may win it, but Smith deserves it. He's done an unbelievable job.

Hoopsnut
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hoopsnut » February 6th, 2019, 8:25 am

Coach Smith has really elevated our program. He’s a team coach and uses all 5 players on the court. I’m so glad we didn’t bring in Coach Rahe from Weber. We now have a coach that understands basketball and knows how to win in the clutch. He has an offense that’s inclusive of his bigs and is going to take our program to a higher level!
These users thanked the author Hoopsnut for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 6th, 2019, 8:30 am

Hoopsnut wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 8:25 am
Coach Smith has really elevated our program. He’s a team coach and uses all 5 players on the court. I’m so glad we didn’t bring in Coach Rahe from Weber. We now have a coach that understands basketball and knows how to win in the clutch. He has an offense that’s inclusive of his bigs and is going to take our program to a higher level!
I'll second that on not bringing Rahe in.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2019, 8:58 am

I love what Smith has brought to this team. He brought a legit big man in Queta. He brought energy. I love the ball movement and hustle with this team. We aren't the most athletic, but we are the best "Team".

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Madmartigan wrote:
dogie wrote:
utaggies wrote:
I’m tired of all these summit league recruits we play with. Can’t get anything done with them.
Helluva job by Smith. Just curious, how much have the Summit League recruits contributed?

Merrill - no
Taylor - no
Brito - no
Porter - no
Brown - no
Queta - no
Miller - no

Oh, Knight did see the floor for a minute last night

Those summit guys have been what I thought they would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:01 am
Madmartigan wrote:
dogie wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Helluva job by Smith. Just curious, how much have the Summit League recruits contributed?

Merrill - no
Taylor - no
Brito - no
Porter - no
Brown - no
Queta - no
Miller - no

There were 3 "Summit League-level" players to begin with, TK, JK3, and Queta (those are the recruits Smith brought in that likely would have gone to SD had he not been hired). TK is the only one to not produce a ton as a true freshman. JK3 was contributing meaningful minutes and Queta... well...

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2019, 9:08 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Merrill - no
Taylor - no
Brito - no
Porter - no
Brown - no
Queta - no
Miller - no

Probably better to just admit you were wrong.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 6th, 2019, 9:20 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:05 am
There were 3 "Summit League-level" players to begin with, TK, JK3, and Queta (those are the recruits Smith brought in that likely would have gone to SD had he not been hired). TK is the only one to not produce a ton as a true freshman. JK3 was contributing meaningful minutes and Queta... well...
I think we need to give credit to Duryea for bringing in Queta because, well I don't know why, but I am sure someone on this board can come up with a reason.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

OCDAggie

Post by OCDAggie » February 6th, 2019, 10:06 am

So refreshing to watch this coach and how this team has developed. The discipline the players have shown thus far to fundamentals, along with how this team executes, is a complete turn around to the Duryea years! Last night's game, start to finish, I never felt like pulling the last of my few hairs out. During the last two minutes of the game, coach Smith had them all dialed in - they knew exactly what the coach wanted, they were efficient when pressed in bringing the ball down the court, defensive shifts and spacing was excellent, and the right guy had the ball at the free throw line when Fresno was forced to foul. Superb coaching and team effort and as Queta said on the post-game interview, "we love playing for coach Smith."

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 6th, 2019, 10:14 am

Smith is doing a great job coaching these guys. Smith is coaching well, but that's only one part of the job.
I'm still waiting to see if Smith can recruit well. Right now he'd doing this with the players that were already here + Queta - who is amazing. Let's hop Queta is one of many future examples of Smith's recruiting. But that's yet to be seen.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » February 6th, 2019, 10:23 am

My favorite part of Coach Smith's post game interview with Scotty last night was when he imitated Queta's voice and sounded like he was a big Russian dude. It was hilarious. The guy is a big nerd and I love it.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

Coach Smith has been great but I also think the mature leadership on this squad is a big factor. They also get along and should get credit for buying in to the vision and showing tremendous selflessness.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 6th, 2019, 11:13 am

One other part that i liked is that after queta had his interview after the game, coach smith was waiting for him and gave him a big high 5!! My whole family watching the game saw that and commented on that!! These kids like playing for him!!

Locked Previous topicNext topic