Key to the game vs SDSU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Key to the game vs SDSU

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2019, 6:25 am

SDSU is long and athletic and in that regard Queta is the one guy who will give them fits. The key is Queta staying out of foul trouble to help minimize their length and athleticism going to the hoop.

dyedblue

Re: Key to the game vs SDSU

Post by dyedblue » February 9th, 2019, 7:11 am

slcagg wrote:SDSU is long and athletic and in that regard Queta is the one guy who will give them fits. The key is Queta staying out of foul trouble to help minimize their length and athleticism going to the hoop.
Better stated: the key is getting Queta to be allowed to breath on dinnertime without getting fouls called on him.

It is to that at times he has his hanging on his arms on one end with no call and then on the other end he gets nailed for the slightest contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 9th, 2019, 8:09 am

Good cookies need sea salt on top. Hope coach's mom knows that.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » February 9th, 2019, 8:59 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:11 am
slcagg wrote:SDSU is long and athletic and in that regard Queta is the one guy who will give them fits. The key is Queta staying out of foul trouble to help minimize their length and athleticism going to the hoop.
Better stated: the key is getting Queta to be allowed to breath on dinnertime without getting fouls called on him.

It is to that at times he has his hanging on his arms on one end with no call and then on the other end he gets nailed for the slightest contact.

That second paragraph reads like you were losing a drinking game.

The first one makes sense. He needs to play smart and the game needs to be called fairly for Sam and Queta

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

McDaniels is their main scoring threat and is also very tall and long like Queta, 6’10” with 7’5” wingspan. Queta won’t have a huge advantage against him on either end though I don’t think McDaniels has had someone like Queta defending him while putting up an average of a double-double in league play(20pts/10rebs). If we Queta, like was said, can stay out of foul trouble and disrupt McDaniels scoring, they don’t have a lot of other consistent scoring options.

On the offensive end for us, we need to get past the environment and the history of only scoring 50 something points there. Sam has been shut down there in the past though I think his game is much more versatile this year. We will need others to step up like we’ve been having the last few games. Miller in particular will be critical because he has the height to get his shot off almost whenever he wants. Once the D keys in on Sam and Queta, Miller better start hitting those shots.

I haven’t watched too many of SDSU games this year but traditionally they like to come out pressing us. Can Porter handle that pressure? I hope Smith has a game plan for it. Our press break has been pretty good this year. Also, using Taylor as a pick at mid court has proven to be very effective to just relieve the PG from a pesky defender.

SDSU will go hard at Queta early to get fouls. I think we see doubles on McDaniels with Taylor coming over. That’s going for leave a shooter on the perimeter open unless we can get back in time. If Hensley and Watson get hot or if Queta gets in foul trouble, this will be a close game with advantage SDSU. If we survive their initial onslaught and Miller is hitting shots while Queta is holding down the paint, we can win this game. I think fairly high scoring, high paced game, but the Aggies take it by 7.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2019, 11:04 am

scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:50 am
McDaniels is their main scoring threat and is also very tall and long like Queta, 6’10” with 7’5” wingspan. Queta won’t have a huge advantage against him on either end though I don’t think McDaniels has had someone like Queta defending him while putting up an average of a double-double in league play(20pts/10rebs). If we Queta, like was said, can stay out of foul trouble and disrupt McDaniels scoring, they don’t have a lot of other consistent scoring options.

On the offensive end for us, we need to get past the environment and the history of only scoring 50 something points there. Sam has been shut down there in the past though I think his game is much more versatile this year. We will need others to step up like we’ve been having the last few games. Miller in particular will be critical because he has the height to get his shot off almost whenever he wants. Once the D keys in on Sam and Queta, Miller better start hitting those shots.

I haven’t watched too many of SDSU games this year but traditionally they like to come out pressing us. Can Porter handle that pressure? I hope Smith has a game plan for it. Our press break has been pretty good this year. Also, using Taylor as a pick at mid court has proven to be very effective to just relieve the PG from a pesky defender.

SDSU will go hard at Queta early to get fouls. I think we see doubles on McDaniels with Taylor coming over. That’s going for leave a shooter on the perimeter open unless we can get back in time. If Hensley and Watson get hot or if Queta gets in foul trouble, this will be a close game with advantage SDSU. If we survive their initial onslaught and Miller is hitting shots while Queta is holding down the paint, we can win this game. I think fairly high scoring, high paced game, but the Aggies take it by 7.

I hope we don’t try and break the press with Porter. The best way to break the press is with good spacing and passing, then attack. The presses stop once you got some easy buckets off of it.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

I hope we don’t try and break the press with Porter. The best way to break the press is with good spacing and passing, then attack. The presses stop once you got some easy buckets off of it.
I’m not implying we try to dribble through a press but Porter will be the one receiving the ball off the inbound and will need to make smart decisions on where to pass and when. You have to be smart and I hope he’s ready for what they will bring tonight.

Also, there will be single man pressing Porter as he brings the ball up. A lot of times we don’t even have a second player back, this is where I think having Taylor at mid-court to set a pick will help him out.

SDSU is ferocious at home. We better be ready.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 9th, 2019, 12:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:25 am
SDSU is long and athletic and in that regard Queta is the one guy who will give them fits. The key is Queta staying out of foul trouble to help minimize their length and athleticism going to the hoop.
Queta and Sam staying out of foul trouble and limiting sdsu transition baskets are the keys in my opinion.

Locked Previous topicNext topic