Petition to Stop Hurd Premium

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
wamsley

Re: Petition to Stop Hurd Premium

Post by wamsley » February 21st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 8:17 pm
It’s pretty easy to point out a problem, but unless you see a real solution your argument stands no ground. I agree to the unfairness of Hurd Premium. I am a die hard fan and have been planning on doing front row since last season. If we had to we would be to those games 5 hours early every week or more, but because of hurd premium we don’t. People look back at when the spectrum was at its peak, but that was a decade ago. There’s so many other things a student could do on a Wednesday or Saturday night that a lot of students choose not to go unless they can get something for free. Also I have no association with the Hurd other than talking to them at the basketball games. From what I’ve learned they are really responsive to constructive criticism. If you’ve been to last few games they really are trying to get stuff going, but that takes time and a steady fan base. The Wyoming game proved that we don’t have that yet.

The purpose of Hurd Premium is to get 12,500 extra bucks for free t-shirts or food because the only way to get a real showing from students when it is not Nevada, is to give them free things. My point is, take away Hurd Premium fine! But find a way to come up with that money because students wont come unless you pay them with other incentives (3k for 3k, free t-shirts)

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » February 21st, 2019, 1:38 pm

The bull sheet from the NM game. I wasn’t around for refraction or bangarang but this is what is happening now. How does it compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:38 pm
The bull sheet from the NM game. I wasn’t around for refraction or bangarang but this is what is happening now. How does it compare?

Compares very well. Has it been circulating all year? I contributed to the Bangarang and I think the Refraction too back in the day if you guys need any help let me know.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » February 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm
tysteve20 wrote:

Compares very well. Has it been circulating all year? I contributed to the Bangarang and I think the Refraction too back in the day if you guys need any help let me know.

Its been around since the second or third game of conference play. I personally dont have anything to do with it. Dont know who does, just thought I would share it.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 21st, 2019, 2:45 pm

tysteve20 wrote:

This is better than I thought we had.

The one thing the Refraction was really good at was finding some personal gold and exploiting it to create chants. They’d find some piece of personal information on the player & blind side the opponent.

I’m glad people are trying to contribute.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

If anyone is interested, USUStats hosts all of the old Bangarang and Refraction issues on their site. You can see them here:
https://www.usustats.com/bangarang/
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
donlarson8

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm
If anyone is interested, USUStats hosts all of the old Bangarang and Refraction issues on their site. You can see them here:
https://www.usustats.com/bangarang/
Yep, and if anyone has issues that I don't have posted there, just let me know and I'll get them up.

KohnDome
Has thanked: 0

Post by KohnDome » February 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm

I was at the game last night with my 5 year old boy, (he slept through the last 8 min) he loves Aggie basketball. That statement is just to show that if he can make it to the game, nobody has an excuse for not making it. I felt like the student section was solid last night, the only thing it was missing was the other 1500-2000 students. I enjoyed, during the timeouts the group that started the "Olay, Olay, Olay" chant especially when most of the student body bought in and started doing. Going along with the group of people who aren't into the coordinated chants, after Justin Bean had his put back duck the crowd went nuts and I saw to many students worried about making sure that they did the "Winning team, Losing team" chant. (I know its a staple). I felt that if they had just gone crazy allowed it settle they would've been able to still get that in without trying to quiet the fans that were going crazy..
These users thanked the author KohnDome for the post:
donlarson8

sneed

Post by sneed » February 21st, 2019, 3:35 pm

I thought the students were awesome. Most fun I have had at a game this year. Maybe because I sat with the students.... hadn’t done that is years.

Craig Smith needs his own cheer. The “Steeeww” was perfect because it was short and sounded good. “Craaaaaaiiiiiig” doesn’t sound so good.

Maybe “Craig” .... “Smith”..... “Craig”.... “Smith”....
Like Utah State going back and forth. Would have to be short (3 times) then do “I Believe”.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 21st, 2019, 6:14 pm

KohnDome wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm
I was at the game last night with my 5 year old boy, (he slept through the last 8 min) he loves Aggie basketball. That statement is just to show that if he can make it to the game, nobody has an excuse for not making it. I felt like the student section was solid last night, the only thing it was missing was the other 1500-2000 students. I enjoyed, during the timeouts the group that started the "Olay, Olay, Olay" chant especially when most of the student body bought in and started doing. Going along with the group of people who aren't into the coordinated chants, after Justin Bean had his put back duck the crowd went nuts and I saw to many students worried about making sure that they did the "Winning team, Losing team" chant. (I know its a staple). I felt that if they had just gone crazy allowed it settle they would've been able to still get that in without trying to quiet the fans that were going crazy..
Yeah I’m gonna say something about that before the next game. Never quiet a crazy crowd for an organized chant. If it happens it happens if not no big deal the dunk was better.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 21st, 2019, 7:19 pm

sneed wrote:I thought the students were awesome. Most fun I have had at a game this year. Maybe because I sat with the students.... hadn’t done that is years.

Craig Smith needs his own cheer. The “Steeeww” was perfect because it was short and sounded good. “Craaaaaaiiiiiig” doesn’t sound so good.

Like Utah State going back and forth. Would have to be short (3 times) then do “I Believe”.

Do this. We need to do a coach cheer. The Steeeeew was a great cheer for a great coach. I think it’s clear Smith is a great coach as well.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 22nd, 2019, 12:39 am

scotlandog wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 7:19 pm
sneed wrote:I thought the students were awesome. Most fun I have had at a game this year. Maybe because I sat with the students.... hadn’t done that is years.

Do this. We need to do a coach cheer. The Steeeeew was a great cheer for a great coach. I think it’s clear Smith is a great coach as well.

What if the crowd just said "Smoooooooooth"

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » February 22nd, 2019, 12:08 pm

I think the students will eventually return if we continue to win games. We can’t expect them to all come running back after terrible seasons. They’ll come. But I think one big problem is the fans other then the students. Most are barely making noise and just sit and watch. Most don’t even do the Scotsman at the beginning of games. If we want to have that home court advantage, the other fans have to be involved at the games. Making noise, doing chants with the students, doing whatever they can to help, not sitting silently.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » February 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

This is correct. I make a lot of noise at every game and get up and cheer often and you should see some of the looks I get from the loafers around me.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 22nd, 2019, 9:44 pm

It’s simple. Camp out for tickets
Aggies forever and I cooked breakfast. Pancake and hit chocolate. Then passed out 200 egg and biscuits. Karl’s Jr m
Tents were everywhere. Prize. Good seats vs BYU
Kick out premium kids.
Every student deserves equal chance at a seat

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 22nd, 2019, 11:07 pm

buckfever wrote:It’s simple. Camp out for tickets
Aggies forever and I cooked breakfast. Pancake and hit chocolate. Then passed out 200 egg and biscuits. Karl’s Jr m
Tents were everywhere. Prize. Good seats vs BYU
Kick out premium kids.
Every student deserves equal chance at a seat
It's stuff like this that builds commeradery with the fans and creates the even more rowdy atmosphere. Not paying money to walk in before everyone else.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chod

Post by Chod » February 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm

tysteve20 wrote:

Is there a Bull Sheet for tonight's game against SDSU? Asking for my kids... :utah: :state:

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm

These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 2):
Choddonlarson8

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » February 26th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm
It looks like we've got a lot to work with for cheers 😂.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » February 26th, 2019, 3:50 pm

As someone who camped out and waited many hours before tipoff for ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ just the right amount of games over the years, I also agree that paying to get the best seats is a bad idea. The argument that "plenty of good seats are still available" is a non-sequitur. As the team rebuilds into a winning program and hasn't quite captured the crowds of old, of course there are going to be good seats still available to non-paying students.
When this team transforms the program into a powerhouse, and Aggie basketball is once again the hottest ticket on campus, you'll have set an exclusionary precedent that will upset or turn off a lot of people. From reading this thread, to some degree this is already happening.
A winning team and the creation of legends and heroes on the court will help bring back the students and townie crowds. With all the additional modern distractions, maybe it'll never get back to the glory days, but it will be awesome.

Even back in the glory days, I was always concerned about marketing as we'd have attendance dips on occasion. I used to say that if I can drive the length of Logan on Main Street or walk across campus and not know there was a home game that night/week, USU Athletics has failed with marketing. It took the self-generating hype among students and fans for granted. I still feel this way.
We all absorb news/information differently, but as I've traveled to dozens of college towns across the country, you always know when the team is playing. Everyone knows, and everyone embraces it.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 26th, 2019, 4:54 pm

As the program grows and they survey opinions adjustments will be made. To be honest I thought it was a great idea for this year because it generated revenue for the games and they were able to give away free food and get more students there. They said that they are gonna do a survey and make a decision off of that and show everyone what the survey results were. I wouldn’t worry to much about this issue anymore.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

jimbo wrote:As someone who camped out and waited many hours before tipoff for ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ just the right amount of games over the years, I also agree that paying to get the best seats is a bad idea. The argument that "plenty of good seats are still available" is a non-sequitur. As the team rebuilds into a winning program and hasn't quite captured the crowds of old, of course there are going to be good seats still available to non-paying students.
When this team transforms the program into a powerhouse, and Aggie basketball is once again the hottest ticket on campus, you'll have set an exclusionary precedent that will upset or turn off a lot of people. From reading this thread, to some degree this is already happening.
A winning team and the creation of legends and heroes on the court will help bring back the students and townie crowds. With all the additional modern distractions, maybe it'll never get back to the glory days, but it will be awesome.

Even back in the glory days, I was always concerned about marketing as we'd have attendance dips on occasion. I used to say that if I can drive the length of Logan on Main Street or walk across campus and not know there was a home game that night/week, USU Athletics has failed with marketing. It took the self-generating hype among students and fans for granted. I still feel this way.
We all absorb news/information differently, but as I've traveled to dozens of college towns across the country, you always know when the team is playing. Everyone knows, and everyone embraces it.
People are looking at their phones when they drive, not signs.

What civic organization signs are on main street right now?!?

Hail Aggies!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 26th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Students, can we please get a "We want Sean!" chant going tonight for the recruit, Sean Bairstow, that is on his visit?!
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
ThunderAggie20Traedonlarson8

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 26th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:04 pm
Students, can we please get a "We want Sean!" chant going tonight for the recruit, Sean Bairstow, that is on his visit?!
That would be awesome! That would definelty leave a good impression on any recruit! :golfclap:

20Trae

Post by 20Trae » February 26th, 2019, 6:11 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
That would be awesome! That would definelty leave a good impression on any recruit! :golfclap:
Good idea!!! Is his name pronounced "Shawn"?

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » February 26th, 2019, 6:23 pm

That would be fantastic!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm

20Trae wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:11 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Good idea!!! Is his name pronounced "Shawn"?
Yeah, it’s pronounced Shawn. It would be blow him away and be awesome!

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » February 26th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Students, can we please get a "We want Sean!" chant going tonight for the recruit, Sean Bairstow, that is on his visit?!
Did this happen tonight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » February 26th, 2019, 10:00 pm

usufan1 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:59 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:Students, can we please get a "We want Sean!" chant going tonight for the recruit, Sean Bairstow, that is on his visit?!
Did this happen tonight?

I don’t remember hearing it.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Blue42 wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Did this happen tonight?

I heard it on TV. Couldn't make out what it was until now

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » February 26th, 2019, 10:16 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Blue42 wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Did this happen tonight?

I heard it on TV. Couldn't make out what it was until now

I must’ve just missed it then :noidea:
Sometimes it can be hard to hear what is being chanted haha. If so, I’m glad we did it!!

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 26th, 2019, 10:17 pm

They picked a good night to bring him in.

I would like to think the Hurd can do something creative with Jordan Caroline, when the band plays Sweet Caroline. Let’s out the thinking caps on,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » February 26th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Coming from the POV of a current student I hope everyone that attended tonight was impressed with the HURD (The whole student section not just committee) We sure had fun and it seemed like the players loved it. Nevada is going to be even better. The only thing I ask is that, when the team deserves it, stand up and clap for them. At the end of the first half, we saw very few people standing up congratulating the team on an awesome first half. We were thinking of starting a "stand up spectrum" chant! We need EVERYONE for Nevada! An amazing win tonight from an amazing team. GO AGGIES.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Winning Team wrote:Coming from the POV of a current student I hope everyone that attended tonight was impressed with the HURD (The whole student section not just committee) We sure had fun and it seemed like the players loved it. Nevada is going to be even better. The only thing I ask is that, when the team deserves it, stand up and clap for them. At the end of the first half, we saw very few people standing up congratulating the team on an awesome first half. We were thinking of starting a "stand up spectrum" chant! We need EVERYONE for Nevada! An amazing win tonight from an amazing team. GO AGGIES.
Oh my, a 19 year old knocking on my door telling me how to behave. I’m having de ja vu.

Hail Aggies!

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » February 26th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Winning Team wrote:Coming from the POV of a current student I hope everyone that attended tonight was impressed with the HURD (The whole student section not just committee) We sure had fun and it seemed like the players loved it. Nevada is going to be even better. The only thing I ask is that, when the team deserves it, stand up and clap for them. At the end of the first half, we saw very few people standing up congratulating the team on an awesome first half. We were thinking of starting a "stand up spectrum" chant! We need EVERYONE for Nevada! An amazing win tonight from an amazing team. GO AGGIES.
The students used to chant "stand up" to the season ticket holders. It didn't take much prompting to finally get them up and it is well worth it.

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
dirtnsnow

Locked Previous topicNext topic