Big Schools come calling at NIC (Evans)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BobWilson

Big Schools come calling at NIC (Evans)

Post by BobWilson » February 20th, 2019, 8:24 am

The headline in this morning's Spokesman-Review.

"Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak boarded a private jet for a flight that landed in Walla Walla. His latest recruiting trip was in a small dome-shape arena at Walla Walla Community College, the scene of North Idaho's 100-60 victory over the Worriers.

He wasn't there to visit NCI guard Nate Pryor who said he's still committed to Washington. He wasn't there to steal away NCI big man and Utah State Commit Alphonso Anderson. He wanted more face time with gifted guard Ray-Quan Evans, the reining North west Athletic Conference Most Valuable Player.. Evans recently decommitted from Utah State.

Utah and Colorado are among the biggest schools pursuing him, Evans said.

"Utah State is a good program with a great coaching staff. But I've come this far. so why not try and go farther?"

Usu0505

Re: Big Schools come calling at NIC (Evans)

Post by Usu0505 » February 20th, 2019, 8:28 am

Going to Utah just because they are in the pac 12 would be really stupid on his part in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » February 20th, 2019, 8:31 am

Usu0505 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:28 am
Going to Utah just because they are in the pac 12 would be really stupid on his part in my opinion.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2019, 8:34 am

Good for him.

superaggie

Post by superaggie » February 20th, 2019, 8:42 am

I am confused by your subject line. Big Schools come a calling and then you are talking about the University of Utah? "I thought you were joking. I wrote it down in my diary. I laughed about it later that night." (Anchor Man) :lol: :lol: :lol: If we start going to the tourney or stay in the top 3 in the MWC we should be able to beat Utah for recruits. Kids want to play for winners and go to the NCAA. Evans can do what he wants but if we did not have 3 crappy seasons in a row the perception would be different. I think if Smith stays the perception will shift back.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 20th, 2019, 8:44 am

superaggie wrote:I am confused by your subject line. Big Schools come a calling and then you are talking about the University of Utah? "I thought you were joking. I wrote it down in my diary. I laughed about it later that night." (Anchor Man) :lol: :lol: :lol: If we start going to the tourney or stay in the top 3 in the MWC we should be able to beat Utah for recruits. Kids want to play for winners and go to the NCAA. Evans can do what he wants but if we did not have 3 crappy seasons in a row the perception would be different. I think if Smith stays the perception will shift back.
To be fair that is just the headline of the article from a small town in Idaho. It is Idaho so who can blame them.

thansen

Post by thansen » February 20th, 2019, 8:49 am

Benefits to playing for Utah:

- Pac 12 Conference

Benefits to playing for USU:

- Coach Smith (Coach Larry is a D-bag)
- Pretty much guaranteed starting PG spot with lots of playing time
- Queta
- Sam

Disclaimer: As a USU graduate I might be a bit biased in my opinion.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 20th, 2019, 9:14 am

Lar-Bear's salary is bigger than 344 D1 coaches. So I guess they are a "big school" in an "elite conference".

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 20th, 2019, 9:17 am

BobWilson wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:24 am

"Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak boarded a private jet for a flight that landed in Walla Walla. His latest recruiting trip was in a small dome-shape arena at Walla Walla Community College, the scene of North Idaho's 100-60 victory over the Worriers.

He wasn't there to visit NCI guard Nate Pryor who said he's still committed to Washington. He wasn't there to steal away NCI big man and Utah State Commit Alphonso Anderson. He wanted more face time with gifted guard Ray-Quan Evans, the reining North west Athletic Conference Most Valuable Player.. Evans recently decommitted from Utah State.

"Utah State is a good program with a great coaching staff. But I've come this far. so why not try and go farther?"
I can guarantee Rayquan that USU is going to “go farther” into the postseason this season than Utah (and likely next).

:)

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 20th, 2019, 9:27 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 9:17 am
BobWilson wrote:

I can guarantee Rayquan that USU is going to “go farther” into the postseason this season than Utah (and likely next).

:)
And USU will do it with or WITHOUT Rayquan.
Smith >Larry K
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
AngusAg

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 20th, 2019, 9:46 am

BobWilson wrote:

If I'm Coach Smith, I immediately pull this kid's offer. No one wanted him, Smith was the first to go after this kid, and for him to commit verbally then to say we aren't big enough for him, that's just bs. Coach K at Utah is as classless as they come, poaches other schools players, the guy is a coward
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 5):
NVAggieAngusAgZaggie07MetsJetsAggiesCodingAggieBlue

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 20th, 2019, 9:52 am

JFWAggie wrote:
BobWilson wrote:

If I'm Coach Smith, I immediately pull this kid's offer. No one wanted him, Smith was the first to go after this kid, and for him to commit verbally then to say we aren't big enough for him, that's just bs. Coach K at Utah is as classless as they come, poaches other schools players, the guy is a coward
I agree. Time to move on. Even if he did end up coming to us how could we feel good about it. Seems as if the bridge is officially burnt now.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » February 20th, 2019, 10:11 am

The embers of the burning bridge have cooled.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » February 20th, 2019, 10:13 am

Usu0505 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 9:52 am
JFWAggie wrote:
BobWilson wrote:

I agree. Time to move on. Even if he did end up coming to us how could we feel good about it. Seems as if the bridge is officially burnt now.

Not really sounding like the kind of player that would buy into Smith’s system anyway.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

Donald_Sullivan

Post by Donald_Sullivan » February 20th, 2019, 10:15 am

We haven't been recruiting Evans since he decommited in mid December, and are no longer interested in him. We moved on 2 months ago, and so did he. There is no offer from USU to Evans.
Last edited by Donald_Sullivan on February 20th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Donald_Sullivan for the post (total 3):
NVAggieAngusAgZaggie07

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 20th, 2019, 10:16 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 10:15 am
We haven't been recruiting Evans since he decommited in mid December, and are no longer interested in him. We moved on 2 months ago, and so did he.
music to my ears!!

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 20th, 2019, 10:23 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:We haven't been recruiting Evans since he decommited in mid December, and are no longer interested in him. We moved on 2 months ago, and so did he. There is no offer from USU to Evans.
Pretty lame we were even brought up then.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 20th, 2019, 11:00 am

Charles Jones Jr was the Scenic West POY at CSI last year and he went to Utah to ride the pine.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » February 20th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Was it already discussed why he decommited or why we pulled the offer?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm

UStateTim wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 1:08 pm
This is why.

According to Evans:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm

UStateTim wrote:
I don't remember if this has been posted or not? Evans managed to drag his feet through the early signing period and never signed his LOI. He told the staff that he still planned on signing but wanted to have his family involved in the signing day hoopla. As well all know Evans eventually decommitted but he continued to tell the coaching staff that although he was decommitting, we were still his number one school. After that fiasco, the staff decided to move on.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm
UStateTim wrote:
I don't remember if this has been posted or not? Evans managed to drag his feet through the early signing period and never signed his LOI. He told the staff that he still planned on signing but wanted to have his family involved in the signing day hoopla. As well all know Evans eventually decommitted but he continued to tell the coaching staff that although he was decommitting, we were still his number one school. After that fiasco, the staff decided to move on.
Let's keep our eye on the Portugal U20 team this summer (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20b/ ... nd_results). It worked well for use from the 2018 U20 team (Queta) and the 2017 U20 team (Brito).

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 20th, 2019, 3:48 pm

jpswensen wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
Let's keep our eye on the Portugal U20 team this summer (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20b/ ... nd_results). It worked well for use from the 2018 U20 team (Queta) and the 2017 U20 team (Brito).
I've not heard about us eyeballing anyone else from that part of the world. Now Australia on the other hand......

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 20th, 2019, 4:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 3:48 pm
jpswensen wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
I've not heard about us eyeballing anyone else from that part of the world. Now Australia on the other hand......
There are some great college/NBA players who come out of Australia. I don't really care where they come from, but I think going international will be good for us.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 20th, 2019, 4:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
Any PGs down under ready to come play for us ??

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 20th, 2019, 4:53 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 4:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
Any PGs down under ready to come play for us ??
Exum still has not played any meaningful minutes in the NBA, never played in college, and is still younger than most male freshman at Utah State. Maybe he has eligibility left?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 20th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm
UStateTim wrote:
This is why.

According to Evans:
Sounds a lot like a punter who doesn’t see a down side with outkicking his coverage.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 20th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Per a pretty reliable source about the Australian comment.

bullshot

Re: Big Schools come calling at NIC (Evans)a

Post by bullshot » February 20th, 2019, 6:21 pm

We need a point guard

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » February 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Is this the brother of the Bairstow who played at New Mexico a couple of years back and his sister played here at usu? If so, and he can play like his brother, I’d offer him too.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm

aggies1 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Is this the brother of the Bairstow who played at New Mexico a couple of years back and his sister played here at usu? If so, and he can play like his brother, I’d offer him too.
Correct. Article from last year confirms it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 19819/Amp/

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm

If there’s a scholarship available, give it the beat player available. If that’s Bairstow, great. If that’s a PG, great. As it stands, we’re a borderline NCAA tourney team with Abel and TK running the show.

If Bairstow commits and is anywhere near as good as his bro, we have a chance to be reallllllly good next year.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » February 20th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Agreed, we do need a PG badly BUT next year we have Queta in the front court. Then Bean, Fakira and a bunch of guys who haven't been healthy in a while. I hope Fakira develops but not expecting it for next year. Queta will be gone to NBA in another year or two and we need someone in the pipeline to replace him. IMO, a PF/C is just as much a necessity as a PG for next year. I also think it is easier to groom a PG and plug in than a big man. You can teach/practice ball handling skills, you can't teach height.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 20th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 11:38 pm
you can't teach height.
Mind if I steal that one?

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 20th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 11:38 pm
Agreed, we do need a PG badly BUT next year we have Queta in the front court. Then Bean, Fakira and a bunch of guys who haven't been healthy in a while. I hope Fakira develops but not expecting it for next year. Queta will be gone to NBA in another year or two and we need someone in the pipeline to replace him. IMO, a PF/C is just as much a necessity as a PG for next year. I also think it is easier to groom a PG and plug in than a big man. You can teach/practice ball handling skills, you can't teach height.
We have already signed 2 guys that can play the 4 -- Anderson and McChesney. We need a shooting rebounding wing with this Aussie fits and a PG. I expect a couple of scholies to become available.

Locked Previous topicNext topic