Is it just because we are the Aggies?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BioAggie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Is it just because we are the Aggies?

Post by BioAggie » February 25th, 2019, 11:34 am

Does anybody else think that if any other team in he MW were to be having the season that we are that they would be receiving more love from the selection committee? If the Aztecs had our overall record would we be a 2 bid conference? Is our poor record over the last 5 years the reason we are still being snubbed?

Aglicious
Site Admin
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 207 times

Re: Is it just because we are the Aggies?

Post by Aglicious » February 25th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I do think there is something to be said for building a consistent winner. With consistency comes expectations and reputation which both play into national respect and even seeding in the tourney. Look at how many Gonzaga teams have held rankings and tourney seeds that were not truly reflective of their talent (both too high and too low). Your example of SDSU is perfect because of what they have done over the past decade or so. I have to believe they would be considered nearly a lock with our same resume right now. There is no doubt that if we continue to build on this season with more tournament worthy teams then it will pay off for the Aggies too.

Sometimes when a team comes out of seemingly nowhere with little expectations prior to the season, they tend to be discounted and labeled as overachievers which means they should just be happy and satisfied to be doing better than preseason predictions. Further rewarding a team like this with a tourney bid is a hard pill to swallow for some committee members looking in from the outside.

I would add that the single most important time a program can change their national reputation is in the NCAA tourney though. Deep runs last in the minds of the casual fan and this is where the fortune and future of a program can really be changed in major way.

ProfessorChaos
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Post by ProfessorChaos » February 25th, 2019, 12:34 pm

No, it's not because we're the Aggies. It's because our tournament resume isn't very convincing just yet. We don't have any particularly bad losses, but also no particularly outstanding wins either.

Even despite that, most bracketology sites have us listed as either in, or among the first four out. To be as consistently mentioned in the tournament picture as USU has been, especially given our current resume, is a pretty good sign in my opinion!

It seems like most forecasters have USU very much on their radar, but they want to see a bit more, and justifiably so. We need to win some big games, and our opportunities to do so are coming right up!

aggiesdotcom
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 25th, 2019, 12:42 pm

After this week, I think the pundits and committee will have more to justify our position...whether that be favorable to us or not.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Our resume is a bubble level resume. A few good wins, but no great wins. UC Irvine is a good win as is St Mary's, but neither are signature season defining wins. Fresno State on the road was good, but it is in the same boat. Luckily we don't have any bad losses. We dodged a bullet with the Boise State win on Saturday. We are in good shape considering how weak the league is. We take care of business and beat Nevada on Saturday and we'll be in.

San Diego State was recently left out as a bubble team. In 2016 San Diego State won the regular season MW title and was left out of the NCAA tournament.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by TheAKAggie » February 25th, 2019, 2:58 pm

BioAggie wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 11:34 am
Does anybody else think that if any other team in he MW were to be having the season that we are that they would be receiving more love from the selection committee? If the Aztecs had our overall record would we be a 2 bid conference? Is our poor record over the last 5 years the reason we are still being snubbed?
It took Houston FOREVER to climb into the top ten, and each Nevada loss dropped them out of the top 10 (a lot teams in the teens lost the week of Nevada's first loss so it wasn't that bad.) Mid major losses count double it seems.

Hail Aggies!

jpswensen
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by jpswensen » February 25th, 2019, 10:53 pm

I wish someone had the time to scour all of our games this year and make a highlight video of nasty defense, guys flying to the ball, every body on the team laid out for loose balls, sweet sweet ball movement, and a Merrill three from the corner going sideways with a monster Queta block and dunk for good measure.

I think this team has the “it” to grind out a win in the tourney. A fortuitous pairing and they could possibly go two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

MarioWest
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by MarioWest » February 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

If anything, I would say lingering respect from Stew's peak is helping the Aggies' national perception. Maybe SDSU or UNLV would get more love nationally with USU's current resume, but I doubt anyone else in the MW would.

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Has liked: 1730 times
Been liked: 899 times

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2019, 9:12 am

MarioWest wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:35 am
If anything, I would say lingering respect from Stew's peak is helping the Aggies' national perception. Maybe SDSU or UNLV would get more love nationally with USU's current resume, but I doubt anyone else in the MW would.
While I do agree that no one else in the beside the two schools you named would get more love than we are. I do not think there is one shred of respect that remains from the Stew years. The prime years were a decade ago and they have long since been forgotten on a national scale.

Locked Previous topicNext topic