Queta's Attitude

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSquared
Posts: 15
Joined: January 9th, 2019, 9:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Queta's Attitude

Post by AggieSquared » February 26th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Kudos for Coach Smith sitting Queta for the remainder of the game. I'm also glad they won handily, if I was the coach I would say "Hey buddy, you are not an all-star. Get your crap together or I'll let you ride the pine the remainder of the season."

He definitely needs to contemplate his actions before talking or walking smack.

Thoughts?



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2271
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Kearney, NE
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by BLUERUFiO » February 26th, 2019, 9:39 pm

We’ve been worried about Queta getting a T for this kind of stuff all year and it finally happened. I don’t blame coach for sitting Queta and it gave opportunity for Bean to really shine.


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
BioAggie
Posts: 285
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 1:26 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by BioAggie » February 26th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Only thing I can say is that it should have happened earlier, coach should have talked to him during practice.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6975
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1499 times
Been liked: 739 times
Contact:

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2019, 9:42 pm

He needed to pick his spot a little better. Brito and McDaniels had been going at it and the refs needed to regain control of the game. It probably shouldn't have been Queta but he's the one who popped off next and drew the whistle.



slcagg
Posts: 3104
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by slcagg » February 26th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Yeah he got a technical but I personally love having a guy with his personality on the team let alone his talent.
And guess what we won. So it was a good learning experience for him.
These users liked this post from slcagg. Total Likes: 5
usufan1TrueBluesneedJSHarveyStaggerwing3



usufan1
Posts: 476
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by usufan1 » February 26th, 2019, 9:47 pm

BioAggie wrote:Only thing I can say is that it should have happened earlier, coach should have talked to him during practice.
Do we know that Coach Smith or his staff haven't addressed it with him?

He's made some mistakes as a freshman but that is expected.

Let's see how he moves on from this and quit assuming to know what has happened behind closed doors.

Tai Wesley was a player that played with a ton of emotion and walked the line of sportsmanship to annoying for opposing teams.

Wesley struggled fouling out of games early in his career (similar to Queta) but learned to adjust and play within the limits.

I'm glad to have someone like Queta that plays with so much passion. It's a great day to be an Aggie!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users liked this post from usufan1. Total Likes: 3
JSHarveyFullStaggerwing3



brian5562
Posts: 1314
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:08 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by brian5562 » February 26th, 2019, 9:49 pm

His fire and emotion are a big reason for the team being where they are. He just needs to learn to pick his spots and when to pull back the reigns
These users liked this post from brian5562. Total Likes: 7
usufan1Blue42IntermeddlerThunderAggieCodingAggieBluesneedStaggerwing3



mwburn
Posts: 114
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 11:27 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Queta's Attitude

Post by mwburn » February 26th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Trust coach Smith. He is in control of all aspects of the game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Twitter: mwburn

alaskanaggie
Posts: 24
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 11:55 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by alaskanaggie » February 26th, 2019, 9:55 pm

It was a good teaching moment. It was a luxury we could afford tonight. That kind of emotion is needed but just needs to be controled. Queta will get there and it's not coach Smith coaches without emotion.
These users liked this post from alaskanaggie. Total Likes: 2
usufan1ThunderAggie



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4185
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 26th, 2019, 10:07 pm

I say keep it up. The benefits outweigh the cost. 30 games into the season and he gets his first technical... The sky is not falling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

These users liked this post from aceofspadeskb. Total Likes: 7
usufan1Blue42IntermeddlerTrueBluenewtonianblueJSHarveyStaggerwing3



rAggie
Posts: 410
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 62 times
Contact:

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by rAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:15 pm

No offense but I tend to think Coach would say keep it up to Queta. He was passionately arguing with the refs that the T wasn’t justified. I don’t think Queta sitting out the rest of the half had anything to do with being a lesson. He had four fouls, we were up 15-20, and Bean/Taylor were hot. Why mess with that and lose the opportunity to give Nemi some rest. Coach and Nemi sure shares a healthy chest bump at the end of the game for a coach who was teaching a lesson in sportsmanship.

The only thing I love more than Queta’s attitude is that we have a coach who is new school enough to embrace it.
These users liked this post from rAggie. Total Likes: 14
Blue42Usu0505IntermeddlerTrueBluenewtonianblueooteksneedJSHarveyaggies22ChicAggie and 4 more users



Pacobag
Posts: 482
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by Pacobag » February 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I would be shocked if coach Smith (or any good coach) would threaten Queta with riding the pine. Maybe you tell him something along the lines of his enthusiasm and energy are awesome, but he needs to avoid crossing the line between celebration and taunting. In a close contest it could cost us the game and that would be tragic.



User avatar
sl7hk
Posts: 216
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 1:02 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by sl7hk » February 26th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Pacobag wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm
I would be shocked if coach Smith (or any good coach) would threaten Queta with riding the pine. Maybe you tell him something along the lines of his enthusiasm and energy are awesome, but he needs to avoid crossing the line between celebration and taunting. In a close contest it could cost us the game and that would be tragic.
This! Just teach him the right way to use the enthusiasm to help spur on your team and fans. He will learn and be better from this. What a great asset to have on this team.



User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2171
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by WAAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm

His jaw flapping, hand gesture was a poor choice, but you can be sure it was in retaliation to the actual jaw flapping of the sdsu guy playing against him. Tone it down a little towards the other team and continue to spur on the fans. If he gets a t for that, the students would surely let the ref have it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from WAAggie. Total Likes: 2
TrueBlueChicAggie



newtonianblue
Posts: 259
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:05 pm
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by newtonianblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:01 pm

rAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:15 pm
No offense but I tend to think Coach would say keep it up to Queta. He was passionately arguing with the refs that the T wasn’t justified. I don’t think Queta sitting out the rest of the half had anything to do with being a lesson. He had four fouls, we were up 15-20, and Bean/Taylor were hot. Why mess with that and lose the opportunity to give Nemi some rest. Coach and Nemi sure shares a healthy chest bump at the end of the game for a coach who was teaching a lesson in sportsmanship.

The only thing I love more than Queta’s attitude is that we have a coach who is new school enough to embrace it.
Totally agree. He sat because he had four fouls and the other bigs were in the groove, so no reason to put him back out there. I don’t believe for one second he sat to learn a lesson. Love me some Queta attitude.
These users liked this post from newtonianblue:
Zaggie07



User avatar
WAaggieFan
Posts: 3108
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Queta's Attitude

Post by WAaggieFan » February 26th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Quetatude!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from WAaggieFan. Total Likes: 2
Staggerwing3donlarson8



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7176
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 170 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by dyedblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see the T. What did he do? I was watching live and didn't see anything that warranted the tech.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12967
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by brownjeans » February 26th, 2019, 11:30 pm

I'm with rAggie. After the T he had 4 fouls, and we were up by 20 by the time Queta would have been back in the game. Those things had more to do with him sitting the rest of the game than his attitude.

I like Queta's attitude. Only negative thing about tonight's game is that Queta let the SDSU post players take his focus of the game on on to them. His attitude is fine, but stay focused and play well.
These users liked this post from brownjeans:
Zaggie07



User avatar
bigblue
2012 Gridiron KickOff Pick'em Champion & 2016 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 2017
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by bigblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:31 pm

dyedblue wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement until I see the T. What did he do? I was watching live and didn't see anything that warranted the tech.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He made a talking to much gesture with his hand to McDaniels. I think he could have said what he said without the gesture and never would have got the T. I knew the T was coming has hard as the SDSU players and staff was whining about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk




Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ususports
Posts: 986
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by ususports » February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am

WAAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm
His jaw flapping, hand gesture was a poor choice, but you can be sure it was in retaliation to the actual jaw flapping of the sdsu guy playing against him. Tone it down a little towards the other team and continue to spur on the fans. If he gets a t for that, the students would surely let the ref have it.
San Diego State's big guy did the same hand gesture to Queta when we played them in California a couple of weeks ago when Queta fouled him creating an and-one.



SLB
Posts: 807
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2019, 12:46 am

ususports wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am
WAAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm
His jaw flapping, hand gesture was a poor choice, but you can be sure it was in retaliation to the actual jaw flapping of the sdsu guy playing against him. Tone it down a little towards the other team and continue to spur on the fans. If he gets a t for that, the students would surely let the ref have it.
San Diego State's big guy did the same hand gesture to Queta when we played them in California a couple of weeks ago when Queta fouled him creating an and-one.
That was the vibe that I got from that gesture



aggiesdidwhat???
Posts: 540
Joined: July 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by aggiesdidwhat??? » February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

I saw this completely different then many I guess. I truly believe he wasn't sat as a discipline thing. In fact when he was pulled from the game Coach was pissed and Queta actually pulled him away from the official. I believe the SDSU bigs where talking at Queta the whole game. I think the reason he sat and stayed there was because we didn't need him. And coach figured, let the big man rest. I truly don't think he was remotely upset with Q at all. It was pretty obvious on TV that he was upset they called the T and Queta but not on the others for jabbering the whole game. The announcers brought it up a couple times that SDSU should have been T'ed up. But I could be wrong :-)
These users liked this post from aggiesdidwhat???. Total Likes: 4
brownjeansTrueBlueZaggie07ProvoAggie



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 11:22 am

ususports wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am
San Diego State's big guy did the same hand gesture to Queta when we played them in California a couple of weeks ago when Queta fouled him creating an and-one.
Interesting. I hadn't seen that. So there was a reason beyond just showing up the SDSU player.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
breadysmith
Posts: 762
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:35 am
Location: Lindon, UT
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by breadysmith » February 27th, 2019, 11:23 am

What annoyed me was the inconsistency. I know it was from a previous game, and likely a different crew, but the SDSU big did the exact same gesture to Queta the last time we played them...and nothing happened. Why would he think that they would call that a technical foul in the game last night. It was a weak call. Luckily it didn't hurt us and I hope he will avoid that kind of stuff in the future but not lose the swagger and fire that makes him the player he is.
These users liked this post from breadysmith:
Staggerwing3


"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

tipitup
2018 WTHCG Pick'em Champion
Posts: 357
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by tipitup » February 27th, 2019, 11:25 am

a lot of T's depend on what the ref actually sees. Queta's T last night the ref was looking right at him and called it immediately. Just two or three plays before a SD player ran up Diogo's chest and scored then stared him down. No ref was watching that one, they had already turned around and started down the court.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12967
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by brownjeans » February 27th, 2019, 11:48 am

NCAA needs to stop counting Ts against a player's 5 fouls.
These users liked this post from brownjeans. Total Likes: 3
ChicAggieZaggie07Bill_George



andytheaggie
Posts: 268
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by andytheaggie » February 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

I was at the game last night, and didn't see the gesture, but I saw it later on the KSL evening news. Go to 28:08 in the video.

https://live.ksl.com/event/?v=38122



User avatar
Floppy Hat
2015 FB Predict The Score Champion & 2017 Kickoff Pick'em Champion & 2018 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1186
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Location: Utah
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by Floppy Hat » February 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm

The "talking hand" gesture is at the 1:25 mark in the video below:




User avatar
AggiesForever
2015 Kickoff Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1813
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by AggiesForever » February 27th, 2019, 3:39 pm

The problem now is the referees are watching Queta, kind of like umpires in major league baseball started watching Yasiel Puig, or NFL refs watch an offensive lineman who has a reputation for being dirty or holding. In Puig's case, they don't give him any quarter because he runs his mouth or does other things that irritate people. If the call was close it was going against him. Well the same is going to happen to Queta-- refs are expecting-- and watching for any little thing. He's going to get called for anything that is close. So he just needs to knock it off. There is a time to do it and you can get away with it. But why do it, if it hurts your team. Let your play do the talking.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 11911
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 240 times
Contact:

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by ProvoAggie » February 27th, 2019, 4:00 pm

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
I saw this completely different then many I guess. I truly believe he wasn't sat as a discipline thing. In fact when he was pulled from the game Coach was pissed and Queta actually pulled him away from the official. I believe the SDSU bigs where talking at Queta the whole game. I think the reason he sat and stayed there was because we didn't need him. And coach figured, let the big man rest. I truly don't think he was remotely upset with Q at all. It was pretty obvious on TV that he was upset they called the T and Queta but not on the others for jabbering the whole game. The announcers brought it up a couple times that SDSU should have been T'ed up. But I could be wrong :-)
This is how I saw it as well. He sat down when we were up 7 and we quickly stretched the lead out to double figures. Had the game been closer I think he would have been put back in.



SLB
Posts: 807
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2019, 4:25 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:00 pm
aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
I saw this completely different then many I guess. I truly believe he wasn't sat as a discipline thing. In fact when he was pulled from the game Coach was pissed and Queta actually pulled him away from the official. I believe the SDSU bigs where talking at Queta the whole game. I think the reason he sat and stayed there was because we didn't need him. And coach figured, let the big man rest. I truly don't think he was remotely upset with Q at all. It was pretty obvious on TV that he was upset they called the T and Queta but not on the others for jabbering the whole game. The announcers brought it up a couple times that SDSU should have been T'ed up. But I could be wrong :-)
This is how I saw it as well. He sat down when we were up 7 and we quickly stretched the lead out to double figures. Had the game been closer I think he would have been put back in.
Both sides of this debate are right.



User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5890
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by USU78 » February 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm

brownjeans wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:48 am
NCAA needs to stop counting Ts against a player's 5 fouls.
I like it. Give 'em 1st "T" with 2 FTs, and then 2FTs + ejection upon 2nd "T." Similar to Yellow/Red cards.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14961
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 304 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm
The "talking hand" gesture is at the 1:25 mark in the video below:

But the tech doesn’t appear to get called until a minute or so later. Are we sure something else didn’t occur?



User avatar
Aggiefan33
Posts: 1932
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by Aggiefan33 » February 27th, 2019, 6:02 pm

The T was called. They blew the whistle, it was slow going to the table, but he was quick on the whistle


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4536
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 27th, 2019, 7:22 pm




Locked Previous topicNext topic