Coach Smith has earned a raise

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Coach Smith has earned a raise

Post by Madmartigan » February 27th, 2019, 10:02 am

At the very least. I might even extend him. He is a fantastic coach and probably a one of the 3 best first year HCs at a new program in the country. If the BIG comes calling he's a goner, but I'm enjoying the ride. Things only get better from here.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Re: Coach Smith has earned a raise

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » February 27th, 2019, 10:04 am

Raise + extension, even then it might not be enough. Enjoy while we can.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 27th, 2019, 10:28 am

What's his buyout?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 27th, 2019, 11:03 am

ViAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:28 am
What's his buyout?
Not enough.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » February 27th, 2019, 11:09 am

I'm really scared he won't last more than 1 year. I hope he sees the value in USU and the community but. I assure you he will be getting calls already. And if we make the dance :-( OH NO.

Go Aggies!

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » February 27th, 2019, 11:31 am

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:09 am
I'm really scared he won't last more than 1 year. I hope he sees the value in USU and the community but. I assure you he will be getting calls already. And if we make the dance :-( OH NO.

Go Aggies!
I think coach Smith will be at USU as long as either Merrill or Queta are here. They are two very special players. He could go the rest of his coaching career and maybe never find another talent like Queta or a player that is so fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball as Merrill (plus mentally tough). Merrill and coach Smith seem to have a unbelievable relationship.

There is no doubt the coach Smith is going to be a very hot commodity and big dollars will thrown his way, but I think at a minimum we have him one more year . Maybe, there is a slim chance that he will follow in Mark Few's footsteps and stay and build a dynasty at Utah State.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 11:32 am

Aggiewest wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:31 am
Maybe, there is a slim chance that he will follow in Mark Few's footsteps and stay and build a dynasty at Utah State.
I like it. Keep planting that bug in Smith's ear.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 11:43 am

It's not like football. In basketball, it's not unheard of for a coach to stick around a smaller successful program. This link is from 2017, but it illustrates my point. A lot of teams in that list make the big dance enough that I've heard of them (Wofford, Richmond, Davidson), but have retained their coach for an extended period. https://m.herosports.com/college-basket ... tball-byby
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
ChicAggie

Aggies All the Way!

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » February 27th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Like most of us I have been worrie about smith getting poached but like it has been said above it seems that in collage basketball it’s easier to hold on to a good one, look at Nevada, mussleman is still there and they have had far more success than we have. The coaching turnover in basketball just doesn’t seem to be quite as high.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 27th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Once heads start to roll as the season ends. A P5 program will come calling for Coach Smith and I think it largely has to do with our reputation for being cheap skates when it comes to coaching salaries.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2019, 1:31 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:43 am
It's not like football. In basketball, it's not unheard of for a coach to stick around a smaller successful program. This link is from 2017, but it illustrates my point. A lot of teams in that list make the big dance enough that I've heard of them (Wofford, Richmond, Davidson), but have retained their coach for an extended period. https://m.herosports.com/college-basket ... tball-byby
Name me more than one coach in all of NCAA who was stuck around that 1) Hasn't already coached on the big stage previously and 2) Coaches at a school also with an FBS football team.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Like most of us I have been worrie about smith getting poached but like it has been said above it seems that in collage basketball it’s easier to hold on to a good one, look at Nevada, mussleman is still there and they have had far more success than we have. The coaching turnover in basketball just doesn’t seem to be quite as high.
Huge difference in that Musselman already coached on the biggest stage and failed. Surely Coach Smith wants to try his hand on a bigger stage.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:31 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Name me more than one coach in all of NCAA who was stuck around that 1) Hasn't already coached on the big stage previously and 2) Coaches at a school also with an FBS football team.
I'm not sure what the football team has to do with the basketball team's coaching tenure. I'm also not sure what you mean by the big stage (tournament? P5?). My only point was to say that you have more chance of retaining a basketball coach than football, that's all. I'm not saying that Smith will definitely have an extended run at Utah State, but at least seeing some good programs from small schools on that list gives me some hope that he might.

Aggies All the Way!

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » February 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:32 pm
Aggieforlife wrote:
Huge difference in that Musselman already coached on the biggest stage and failed. Surely Coach Smith wants to try his hand on a bigger stage.
And it's likely just a matter of time until a P5 school makes another run at Musselman. He's flirted with P5 schools the past few years, IIRC.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2019, 2:34 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
I'm not sure what the football team has to do with the basketball team's coaching tenure. I'm also not sure what you mean by the big stage (tournament? P5?). My only point was to say that you have more chance of retaining a basketball coach than football, that's all. I'm not saying that Smith will definitely have an extended run at Utah State, but at least seeing some good programs from small schools on that list gives me some hope that he might.
Because there's an obvious correlation. Every coach every one names as an example of coaches staying at a smaller bball program is a program that doesn't have an FBS football team. Look at the examples in the original post: Wofford, Richmond, Davidson.

Also look at Gonzaga, Wichita State, Villanova, St. Mary's, Marquette, etc. The list goes on.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:34 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Because there's an obvious correlation. Every coach every one names as an example of coaches staying at a smaller bball program is a program that doesn't have an FBS football team. Look at the examples in the original post: Wofford, Richmond, Davidson.

Also look at Gonzaga, Wichita State, Villanova, St. Mary's, Marquette, etc. The list goes on.
Those schools are named because they are smaller. Your FBS football constraint ensures that the pool for smaller schools than us is very small. I glanced through the MAC (smaller than mountain west schools), the AAC (should be on par with mountain west schools), and BYU. I found a number of coaches who have been with their teams since at least 2015. Why 2015? Because we're putting arbitrary constraints on this thing (like having an FBS football team). Here is what I found that fits your criteria:

Rob Senderoff (Kent State- since 2011)
Dave Rose (BYU- since 2005)
Nate Oats (Buffalo- since 2015)
Michael Huger (Bowling Green- since 2015)
James Whitford (Ball State- since 2013)
Keno Davis (Central Michigan- since 2012)
Rob Murphy (Eastern Michigan- since 2011)
Mark Montgomery (Northern Illinois- since 2011)
Tod Kowalczyk (Toledo- since 2010)
Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan- since 2003)
Mick Cronin (Cincinnati- since 2006)
Fran Dunphy (Temple- since 2006)

This isn't checking any of the other g5 conferences, and excludes anyone who was a head coach at a p5 or NBA previously.

Correlation isn't causation. There is a 100% correlation between people in prison and drinking water.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
Eric Musselman coached in the NBA. He has never coached P5 college basketball. With UCLA and possibly Arizona opening up along with other jobs, there is a very good chance he leaves Nevada after this year. If Craig Smith keeps up the success he has had this year, he will almost certainly get P5 offers in a few years. I don't think we have much to worry about this offseason. It is not often coaches get poached after just one year unless they have strong connections to that university.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » February 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
And it's likely just a matter of time until a P5 school makes another run at Musselman. He's flirted with P5 schools the past few years, IIRC.
I feel dumb.... haha i had no idea mussleman was once a NBA head coach... haha, yes now I understand.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2019, 5:00 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Because there's an obvious correlation. Every coach named here as an example of coaches staying at a smaller bball program is a program that doesn't have an FBS football team. Look at the examples in the original post: Wofford, Richmond, Davidson.

Those schools are named because they are smaller. Your FBS football constraint ensures that the pool for smaller schools than us is very small. I glanced through the MAC (smaller than mountain west schools), the AAC (should be on par with mountain west schools), and BYU. I found a number of coaches who have been with their teams since at least 2015. Why 2015? Because we're putting arbitrary constraints on this thing (like having an FBS football team). Here is what I found that fits your criteria:

This isn't checking any of the other g5 conferences, and excludes anyone who was a head coach at a p5 or NBA previously.

Correlation isn't causation. There is a 100% correlation between people in prison and drinking water.
You found a list of coaches people haven't wanted to hire away. Mick Cronin and Fran Dunphy are the only ones on that list that people would've wanted to hire away, but they get paid a lore more than what we can pay a coach. So that sort of negates that point.

If Buffalo's coach sticks around he would be about the only guy I've seen that's staying that is an apples to apples comparison. He struggled his first two years though and his success is newfound. I fully expect him to be gone after this year. We'll see what he does.

Long story short-- Coach Smith will leave sooner than later to be on the bigger stage.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » February 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
Eric Musselman coached in the NBA. He has never coached P5 college basketball. With UCLA and possibly Arizona opening up along with other jobs, there is a very good chance he leaves Nevada after this year. If Craig Smith keeps up the success he has had this year, he will almost certainly get P5 offers in a few years. I don't think we have much to worry about this offseason. It is not often coaches get poached after just one year unless they have strong connections to that university.
The one that scares me the most this year is Nebraska. He was an assistant there with Miles. If Miles is fired, then Smith could be a natural target for them and given Smith's familiarity with NE and the midwest, it might be attractive to him too.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 27th, 2019, 5:40 pm

February 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
The one that scares me the most this year is Nebraska. He was an assistant there with Miles. If Miles is fired, then Smith could be a natural target for them and given Smith's familiarity with NE and the midwest, it might be attractive to him too.
I would bet money he wouldn't touch the Nebraska job if Miles is fired. Same reason it was reported that Rahe wouldn't come to USU after Stew left.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 5:00 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Because there's an obvious correlation. Every coach named here as an example of coaches staying at a smaller bball program is a program that doesn't have an FBS football team. Look at the examples in the original post: Wofford, Richmond, Davidson.

You found a list of coaches people haven't wanted to hire away. Mick Cronin and Fran Dunphy are the only ones on that list that people would've wanted to hire away, but they get paid a lore more than what we can pay a coach. So that sort of negates that point.

If Buffalo's coach sticks around he would be about the only guy I've seen that's staying that is an apples to apples comparison. He struggled his first two years though and his success is newfound. I fully expect him to be gone after this year. We'll see what he does.

Long story short-- Coach Smith will leave sooner than later to be on the bigger stage.
I found exactly what you wanted. 1) Head coaches who haven't been a head coach at a bigger program. 2) The school has an FBS football team.

FWIW, Fran Dunphy's salary is reportedly 720k. More than one of those schools has made the dance more recently than us. The point isn't to say that every head coach stays no matter what. It's not even to say that Craig Smith will stay. My point is that basketball is different than football, and we have a better than zero chance of keeping him around. I would add that it seems like coaches who do well in the tournament that get the most attention from big programs. You can have your doom and gloom, I'm going to at least hope for the best. IMO, the best would be to retain Smith.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 8:02 pm

His point is your list has a ton of guys who nobody would hire. Only 3 (maybe 4 with Buffalo, but he won't be staying) of them have really had success and Dave Rose's stock isn't what it was. If you are not a good coach, but the program you are at does not have high expectations you can probably stay around a while. The majority of the guys on your list fit this description. Mark Montgomery for example has been at Northern Illinois since 2011. He has only had one winning season and that year they failed to make the dance or even the NIT. USU would never tolerate a guy with only one winning season in 8 years and a conference record barely above .300. He wouldn't get 8 years at USU and he certainly wouldn't get a higher profile job offer.

Craig Smith is different than that list since he is a winner. In year one we are likely headed to the NCAA tournament. Next year looks to be pretty good too. I wouldn't worry about Smith leaving now, but I also doubt he'll be a lifer at USU. He has the success that he is poised to have, he will get offers that unfortunately we will not be able to match.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 8:05 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 5:40 pm
February 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
I would bet money he wouldn't touch the Nebraska job if Miles is fired. Same reason it was reported that Rahe wouldn't come to USU after Stew left.
Nebraska in some ways seems like a good fit for Smith. P5 Midwestern job where he has already coached as an assistant. However, it is doubtful he would go there after they fired his mentor who helped elevate his career. I would expect him to wait for a better job. Nebraska is not a school passionate about hoops. In the next few years if Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota or Wisconsin open up than I'll be worried.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm

February 27th, 2019, 8:02 pm
His point is your list has a ton of guys who nobody would hire. Only 3 (maybe 4 with Buffalo, but he won't be staying) of them have really had success and Dave Rose's stock isn't what it was. If you are not a good coach, but the program you are at does not have high expectations you can probably stay around a while. The majority of the guys on your list fit this description. Mark Montgomery for example has been at Northern Illinois since 2011. He has only had one winning season and that year they failed to make the dance or even the NIT. USU would never tolerate a guy with only one winning season in 8 years and a conference record barely above .300. He wouldn't get 8 years at USU and he certainly wouldn't get a higher profile job offer.

Craig Smith is different than that list since he is a winner. In year one we are likely headed to the NCAA tournament. Next year looks to be pretty good too. I wouldn't worry about Smith leaving now, but I also doubt he'll be a lifer at USU. He has the success that he is poised to have, he will get offers that unfortunately we will not be able to match.
3 is still more than 1, which is what he was asking for. This list isn't exhaustive, either. I understand that there are varying degrees of success in that list, I disregarded that aspect when looking because I was curious if his premise would hold water. I'm not going to do any further research because what I saw is that it is possible to retain a coach despite success at a smaller program. Yes, a lot of those guys are moderately successful, but there are still more than one that fit the bill, and I only went through one of the g5 conferences.
Last edited by dirtnsnow on February 27th, 2019, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggies All the Way!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm

ViAggie wrote:
What's his buyout?
2 million. If only he was able to bring in better than summit league recruits.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 10:49 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm
February 27th, 2019, 8:02 pm

3 is still more than 1, which is what he was asking for. This list isn't exhaustive, either. I understand that there are varying degrees of success in that list, I disregarded that aspect when looking because I was curious if his premise would hold water. I'm not going to do any further research because what I saw is that it is possible to retain a coach despite success at a smaller program. Yes, a lot of those guys are moderately successful, but there are still more than one that fit the bill, and I only went through one of the g5 conferences.
The best example is Stew Morrill. A great coach who stayed for 17 years.

If Smith gives us 5 years like the one we are having now and then goes and takes the Wisconsin job, I would be very happy. He is a great coach and Hartwell made a great hire and in five years or so I fully trust him to find a great replacement.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm
ViAggie wrote:
What's his buyout?
Funny now to look back on the criticisms that were made after he was hired. People upset that he didn't retain members of the previous staff and "that it was a strike against him" to want his own staff is another one that looks silly now.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » February 28th, 2019, 2:58 am

My guess is that he will get some better job offers after this year, but I doubt he will get any marquee offers when he was coaching in the Summit League last year. (Well, maybe he will if USU makes an extended run in the tournament, but that would be an extremely nice problem to have.) And given that we have only two seniors on the roster, next year's team is likely to be even better (assuming Queta stays). If Smith is committed to moving up in the coaching world, I think the smart move would be to stay one more year and try to make a run in the tournament next year. If he succeeds, I think there is a high probability that he is gone after next year. But most likely he won't leave after this year unless an amazing opportunity appears, which looks unlikely at this point.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 28th, 2019, 7:30 am

Oh, I think Smith is eventually leaving us, but the small sample size and large buyout (because we’re in year one of his contract) are going to work in our favor this year and probably next year.

If it happens this year, it’ll be because a blue blood like UCLA takes a flyer on him. That won’t happen though because those types of schools can have anyone and almost always want to hire proven commodities from other P5 schools.

The risk is losing him to someone like a Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa St., or Minnesota, and I don’t see those schools paying a multi-million dollar buyout for Smith after one year at USU.

I also think we’re getting a little ahead ourselves—it’ll take a tourney run this or next year. Remains to be seen if that happens.

If I’m wrong at least we’ll be crying all the way to the bank.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » February 28th, 2019, 9:50 am

This may have been discussed already, but what is Smith's buyout if another school poaches him? A quick Google search hasn't yielded any results. I did learn we paid South Dakota $206k to get him here, so I imagine it would be more than that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » February 28th, 2019, 10:33 am

I hope Smith stays around for at least 4 years. He's an excellent coach, a players coach, and a good guy.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » February 28th, 2019, 11:12 am

aggietime wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 9:50 am
This may have been discussed already, but what is Smith's buyout if another school poaches him? A quick Google search hasn't yielded any results. I did learn we paid South Dakota $206k to get him here, so I imagine it would be more than that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Literally 5 posts above, in this exact thread :) :lol:
Madmartigan wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm
ViAggie wrote:
What's his buyout?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 28th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 10:33 am
I hope Smith stays around for at least 4 years. He's an excellent coach, a players coach, and a good guy.
Yeah I imagine we get him for 3-5 years. He still has a lot to prove. He still hasn't made the NCAA tournament yet as a Head Coach. Like I said earlier, Big time programs don't just take a coach after one good year unless they have some strong connection to the university. Smith wont be a lifer, but he'll be here for at least a few more years.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 28th, 2019, 12:26 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:30 am
Oh, I think Smith is eventually leaving us, but the small sample size and large buyout (because we’re in year one of his contract) are going to work in our favor this year and probably next year.

If it happens this year, it’ll be because a blue blood like UCLA takes a flyer on him. That won’t happen though because those types of schools can have anyone and almost always want to hire proven commodities from other P5 schools.

The risk is losing him to someone like a Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa St., or Minnesota, and I don’t see those schools paying a multi-million dollar buyout for Smith after one year at USU.

I also think we’re getting a little ahead ourselves—it’ll take a tourney run this or next year. Remains to be seen if that happens.

If I’m wrong at least we’ll be crying all the way to the bank.
Smith still has a lot to prove. One good season isn't going to attract offers from big time programs. UCLA isn't going to hire Smith because he had one good year at USU. This thread fits more for 2022 on this board, not this year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic