Camp Spectrum......it’s begun

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Re: Camp Spectrum......it’s begun

Post by bpd » March 1st, 2019, 11:21 pm

While I completely disagree with the Hurd premium and I think it was a terrible idea, I disagree with emailing the admin on this. We have made Tim aware of the problem, I think he will fix it. Tim is a good Aggie and has been for a long time. No need to get him in hot water. Let him fix it.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
donlarson8newtonianblue

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 11:25 pm

bpd wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 11:21 pm
While I completely disagree with the Hurd premium and I think it was a terrible idea, I disagree with emailing the admin on this. We have mad Tim aware of the problem, I think he will fix it. Tim is a good Aggie and has been for a long time. No need to get him in hot water. Let him fix it.
But he is not willing to fix it. He has been non-committal about the program going into next year and basically has told us to pound sand because these people already paid and he will honor it, all while trying to be diplomatic and empathetic to our concerns.

I think really trying to fix it would be to reach out to HURD Premium members, express the concerns of fans about how HURD Premium is a major SNAFU in this scenario of non-HURD Premium member camping out and getting leapfrogged, and trying to get a compromise where the HURD Premium members willingly allow the non-HURD Premium campers to get in with the HURD Premium crowd.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » March 1st, 2019, 11:50 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 11:25 pm
bpd wrote:
While I completely disagree with the Hurd premium and I think it was a terrible idea, I disagree with emailing the admin on this. We have mad Tim aware of the problem, I think he will fix it. Tim is a good Aggie and has been for a long time. No need to get him in hot water. Let him fix it.
But he is not willing to fix it. He has been non-committal about the program going into next year and basically has told us to pound sand because these people already paid and he will honor it, all while trying to be diplomatic and empathetic to our concerns.

I think really trying to fix it would be to reach out to HURD Premium members, express the concerns of fans about how HURD Premium is a major SNAFU in this scenario of non-HURD Premium member camping out and getting leapfrogged, and trying to get a compromise where the HURD Premium members willingly allow the non-HURD Premium campers to get in with the HURD Premium crowd.
I'm all for passion, but some of you guys are pretty stinkin' overdramatic. They try something new out to feed what they assumed would be the base of support. There's a chance someone camping out might have to sit in like the 4th or 5th row. Big freaking deal! I thought the point was to show up and enjoy some Aggie hoops, not to obsess over your own self aggrandisement by having to be seen on the front row. Who cares! I'm student teaching in Davis County and can't show up until tomorrow but as long as I can slip into a seat an hour before tipoff I don't care what row I'm on as long as we win!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 2nd, 2019, 12:01 am

CanuckAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 11:50 pm
jpswensen wrote:
bpd wrote:

I'm all for passion, but some of you guys are pretty stinkin' overdramatic. They tries something new out to feed what they assumed would be the base of support. There's a chance someone camping out might have to sit in like the 4th or 5th row. Big freaking deal! I thought the point was to show up and enjoy some Aggie hoops, not to obsess over your own self aggrandisement by having to be seen on the front row. Who cares! I'm student teaching in Davis County and can't show up until tomorrow but as long as I can slip into a seat an hour before tipoff I don't care what row I'm on as long as we win!
At a Jazz game, courtside tickets are $1700, while row 5 tickets are $750. Still like to claim people don't perceive difference between front row and 5th row? The free market would beg to differ.

I think you are probably right that we are being overdramatic, but you are absolutely wrong about people wanting the front row for self-aggrandizement. The campers want it because of fanatic passion for the Aggies.

My side projects:

buckfever
RIP

Re: Camp Spectrum......it’s

Post by buckfever » March 2nd, 2019, 12:11 am

Ok. Midnight How many hungry kids?
So. I bought enough to feed an army.
I’ll feed French toast sausage PancKes etc
If enough. Yeah if it’s 50 I’ll bring local fast food biscuits

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 2nd, 2019, 12:12 am

How many uo there TO

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » March 2nd, 2019, 12:45 am

[/quote]
I'm all for passion, but some of you guys are pretty stinkin' overdramatic. They try something new out to feed what they assumed would be the base of support. There's a chance someone camping out might have to sit in like the 4th or 5th row. Big freaking deal! I thought the point was to show up and enjoy some Aggie hoops, not to obsess over your own self aggrandisement by having to be seen on the front row. Who cares! I'm student teaching in Davis County and can't show up until tomorrow but as long as I can slip into a seat an hour before tipoff I don't care what row I'm on as long as we win!
[/quote]

One might say that some premium hurd members are in it for that very reason, a guaranteed spotlight every home game. I know many of them are there because they are passionate about the sport (they're camping out when they don't have to, that's commitment), but I also know some of them are there at least in part for the popularity aspect. Do we want some kind of classist divide in our student section?

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 2nd, 2019, 1:14 am

Oh. So if I feed these kids am I somehow contributing to the dark side ? You Do not separate very well what is good or bad for usu

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 2nd, 2019, 1:28 am

CanuckAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 11:50 pm
jpswensen wrote:
bpd wrote:

Mods, we need a dislike button

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 2nd, 2019, 7:30 am

I dunno how much sleep was actually had but those of us who are awake right now are in high spirits.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post (total 3):
donlarson8918AGGAggie_in_Idaho

sneed

Post by sneed » March 2nd, 2019, 7:31 am

When we played BYU after taking a couple years off I waited in line all day for the game. I was about 20th in line at one door. They opened the other door first and everyone just pushed to get in. I ended up about the 15th row in the corner. I have NEVER gotten over it. Okay, maybe I got over it a little but its one of the very few bad memories of the Spectrum I have from when it was good (untill these last two weeks - now it's great again). MSGA
These users thanked the author sneed for the post (total 3):
donlarson8QuackAttackAggieMetsJetsAggies

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 2nd, 2019, 7:38 am

sneed wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 7:31 am
When we played BYU after taking a couple years off I waited in line all day for the game. I was about 20th in line at one door. They opened the other door first and everyone just pushed to get in. I ended up about the 15th row in the corner. I have NEVER gotten over it. Okay, maybe I got over it a little but its one of the very few bad memories of the Spectrum I have from when it was good (untill these last two weeks - now it's great again). MSGA
I remember similar things. I remember a game in 2009 waiting in line for 5 hours only to see the line from the spectrum to the HPER building collapse right as the doors opened. Total chaos. I have nightmares about barely getting in and sitting in the top right corner.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » March 2nd, 2019, 7:54 am

When I was Athletics VP nearly 20 years ago we also instituted a seat saving idea for football. It was not a paid thing but a perk of membership. Some students were greatly opposed, specifically those who took the time to show up early, camp out, etc. After a sit down with the self appointed leader of the opposition, we merely backed up the saved seats a couple rows. It was an easy fix. They were still awesome seats for those who didn't want to get to the game crazy early, it preserved the front row for those who did, and if some Hurd members wanted to move two rows closer than was saved for them, they had the option of camping out like the die hards.

There are valid arguments on both sides of this seat saving controversy, and what we came up with seemed to appease all involved. I don't think law suits over the $25 fee would ensue if a similar level headed approach were taken for tonight's game.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggiesneed

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 2nd, 2019, 8:10 am

buckfever wrote:Oh. So if I feed these kids am I somehow contributing to the dark side ? You Do not separate very well what is good or bad for usu
Students should never be punished for showing fandom. I salute you in your dedication to taking care of the campers.

My side projects:

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » March 2nd, 2019, 8:28 am

If the deal is that Premium Hurd members get in 15 minutes early, why not just let those who camped out get in 20 minutes early? That way you still give the Hurd members what they were promised without punishing those that have been camping out for a couple of days.
These users thanked the author Aggiefever for the post (total 6):
ProvoAggieLarryTheAggiecdaAgTrueBlueFullAggie_in_Idaho

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 2nd, 2019, 8:56 am

Aggiefever wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 8:28 am
If the deal is that Premium Hurd members get in 15 minutes early, why not just let those who camped out get in 20 minutes early? That way you still give the Hurd members what they were promised without punishing those that have been camping out for a couple of days.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 2nd, 2019, 9:01 am

Exactly my thought. That’s the solution because premium was never promised that others wouldn’t be let in as well, correct? And if they were, it seems they would be ok with letting the few people that camped out who aren’t premium in... they won’t even know!

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 2nd, 2019, 9:38 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 9:01 am
Exactly my thought. That’s the solution because premium was never promised that others wouldn’t be let in as well, correct? And if they were, it seems they would be ok with letting the few people that camped out who aren’t premium in... they won’t even know!
All of the solutions mentioned in this thread, along with some others, have been discussed during the past week. We certainly don't want to deter campers, and my students are currently communicating with all the campers to find a solution that will be acceptable to all.

I've been informed that some of my responses in this or other threads have been dismissive. I haven't meant that to be the case. I've just been trying to support my students and their initiatives and hopefully provide some context as well. That this program was created by the students based off student feedback.

That being said, both my students and myself are aware of the uniqueness of the situation this game presents and our top priority is not to leave any students with a bad taste in this mouth. My students are actively working to solve that issue and be fair to the premium members while also rewarding the efforts of non-premium members.

I'm heading up the canyon, so this will be my last post until after the game. Thank you for your feedback and your passion for Aggie Athletics and the USU student section.

As a side note, you can add my email timothy.olsen@usu.edu to the list mentioned earlier in the thread. This program is completely housed within USUSA and the Hurd, so the Athletics VP email and my own would be the best ones to reach out to.
These users thanked the author TheRealTO for the post (total 3):
donlarson8newtonianblueAggie_in_Idaho

Ag-FAN
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ag-FAN » March 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am

KC Smurthwaite (Athletic Department) tweeted that suspending Hurd Premium for this game was Tim Olsen’s, USUSA and the Hurd Committee’s decision.

Tim Olsen said “we attempted to set up an official campout for this game and got told no.” (suspending the Hurd Premium for this game).

Tim, who is making the decisions?

Tim, who allowed you, and the Hurd Committee to arbitrarily change student seating and ticketing policies?

Tim, Let’s be honest, when asked for your “Research” and “Focus Group” results leading to your decision that Hurd Premium would be a success you have not produced the data.

Let’s be transparent.

Go Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 2nd, 2019, 10:48 am

Let me see as a tax payer that pay's more money into the state than what some of the people that get special seating for aggie basketball perhaps I should complain to the leadership at USU, because I now want to sit in the first 5 rows for this game. After all I bought a season ticket. How is that any different ?

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 2nd, 2019, 2:21 pm

So what was the final decision? Are there students who camped out and and are not going to get in until after the HURD premium members are let in?

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 2nd, 2019, 3:07 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 2:21 pm
So what was the final decision? Are there students who camped out and and are not going to get in until after the HURD premium members are let in?
No
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
donlarson8

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 2nd, 2019, 3:51 pm

If Hurd premium jumps the campers there will be fist fights. Campus security better be ready for this. This is exactly why I was opposed to the early entry part and so many others are as well.

Hopefully they do the right thing and let the most dedicated fans get the best seats as has always been done.

And hopefully they fix it next year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 3:51 pm
If Hurd premium jumps the campers there will be fist fights. Campus security better be ready for this. This is exactly why I was opposed to the early entry part and so many others are as well.

Hopefully they do the right thing and let the most dedicated fans get the best seats as has always been done.

According to my students, they reached out to the premium folks and some that can't make it tonight have their passes to those who have been camped out. So my understanding is that campers have been taken care of ... Premium members or otherwise. I won't be up to campus until 5, so can only relay what I'm being told.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 2nd, 2019, 4:09 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

According to my students, they reached out to the premium folks and some that can't make it tonight have their passes to those who have been camped out. So my understanding is that campers have been taken care of ... Premium members or otherwise. I won't be up to campus until 5, so can only relay what I'm being told.
That's good.

Lessons learned for next year.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm
treesap32 wrote:

As one who doesn’t have premium, and who camped out, I can assure you this is unfortunately not true. We’ve just been out here and haven’t been contacted. I guess we should probably go out and find who we should talk to, but there are tons of people here now so I wouldn’t know 😬. But yeah, that claim isn’t true! We’re resonable people, so don’t worry about fights 😂

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 2nd, 2019, 4:53 pm

How big is the line?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm
TheRealTO wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

As one who doesn’t have premium, and who camped out, I can assure you this is unfortunately not true. We’ve just been out here and haven’t been contacted. I guess we should probably go out and find who we should talk to, but there are tons of people here now so I wouldn’t know 😬. But yeah, that claim isn’t true! We’re resonable people, so don’t worry about fights 😂
Update: We did go and find the HURD people and they said we would’ve had to sleep over Thursday night as well as last night in order to get in with the premium people. They then preceded to let some kids go who had slept here Thursday night and not Friday (rotated with their friends). 🤷‍♂️ All I can say is I sure hope the premium isn’t a thing next year. Definitely would’ve paid $25 but never even heard of it.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 2nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

Just checked the USU webcam of Legacy Field...the line is visible around the Spectrum!

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 2nd, 2019, 5:25 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Update: We did go and find the HURD people and they said we would’ve had to sleep over Thursday night as well as last night in order to get in with the premium people. They then preceded to let some kids go who had slept here Thursday night and not Friday (rotated with their friends). 🤷‍♂️ All I can say is I sure hope the premium isn’t a thing next year. Definitely would’ve paid $25 but never even heard of it.
Shoot me an email and let's chat. Thank you for letting me know.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 2nd, 2019, 5:29 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 5:25 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Shoot me an email and let's chat. Thank you for letting me know.
Won’t do much because premium is already in! Thanks for your concern though. We’re just here to cheer on our Aggies! Not super concerned about where we’re at.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 2nd, 2019, 5:47 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 5:29 pm
Won’t do much because premium is already in! Thanks for your concern though. We’re just here to cheer on our Aggies! Not super concerned about where we’re at.
You are a better man than I. I would be livid.

My side projects:

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 2nd, 2019, 5:48 pm

Hope everyone is good now and can enjoy the game. It was great to come by and see all the students.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 2nd, 2019, 5:51 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 5:48 pm
Hope everyone is good now and can enjoy the game. It was great to come by and see all the students.
Now that TheRealTO succesfully delayed long enough that not all the campers got taken care of and the HUR Premium members successfully got their premium, I think going forward everyone will be "good now" if HURD Premium gets thrown on the scrap heap after this game.

My side projects:

sneed

Post by sneed » March 2nd, 2019, 5:52 pm

I imagine most that camped out got good seats. Everyone seemed to do good staying in line. No one jumping the line as the doors opened (from what I saw). Still seats left but almost full (maybe 400 left?) I’m not a good guesser though.

Locked Previous topicNext topic