Sean Bairstow UPDATE

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Sean Bairstow UPDATE

Post by aggies22 » March 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm

With so many of you wondering if Sean was a legitimate recruit, I managed to dig up some info. Sean DID in fact hold offers from Akron, Buffalo, Creighton, Loyola-Chicago, New Mexico and Portland. Contrary to popular belief Sean had interest from several schools. Sean also had interest from Georgia Tech, Iowa St and TCU. TCU would have extended an offer had Sean agreed to attend prep school for a season. Several P5's and high majors wanted him to put off committing until the late signing period began.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
flying_scotsman2.0ProvoAggieAggieBluesChicAggienewtonianblueAggie in Boise

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Sean Bairstow UPDATE

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 1st, 2019, 2:06 pm

I wasn't worried, but thanks for the info

ususports

Post by ususports » March 1st, 2019, 2:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm
With so many of you wondering if Sean was a legitimate recruit, I managed to dig up some info. Sean DID in fact hold offers from Akron, Buffalo, Creighton, Loyola-Chicago, New Mexico and Portland. Contrary to popular belief Sean had interest from several schools. Sean also had interest from Georgia Tech, Iowa St and TCU. TCU would have extended an offer had Sean agreed to attend prep school for a season. Several P5's and high majors wanted him to put off committing until the late signing period began.
Sounds like another Summit League caliber recruit recruited by a Summit League caliber coach.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 1st, 2019, 2:18 pm

Awesome research. I love that we are grabbing these international kids. I think that was a big reason people wanted to hire Tommy Lloyd from Gonzaga, because of their international recruiting success. Now we have 2 more coming in next year? Bairstow and McChesney?

Why hasn't Baristow showed up on the 247 radar if he had all those offers? Creighton and New Mexico are big basketball schools and UNM probably really wanted him because of his brother.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 1st, 2019, 2:32 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:18 pm
Awesome research. I love that we are grabbing these international kids. I think that was a big reason people wanted to hire Tommy Lloyd from Gonzaga, because of their international recruiting success. Now we have 2 more coming in next year? Bairstow and McChesney?

Why hasn't Baristow showed up on the 247 radar if he had all those offers? Creighton and New Mexico are big basketball schools and UNM probably really wanted him because of his brother.
I've sent Sean's film and info into the 247 higher-ups to have him evaluated and rated.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:18 pm

As I said earlier, this is a huge get. And that’s quite a list of schools that were interested in him.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 1st, 2019, 2:41 pm

ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sounds like another Summit League caliber recruit recruited by a Summit League caliber coach.
I wonder how long this joke is gonna be repeated. It was funny the first 5,000 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ChicAggie

ususports

Post by ususports » March 1st, 2019, 2:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:41 pm
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I wonder how long this joke is gonna be repeated. It was funny the first 5,000 times.
Flying scotsman liked it, so make it 5001 times, but I will let you be the one to keep counting going forward.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 1st, 2019, 3:03 pm

Don't forget the Summit League staff that Craig brought with him. It's kinda gone under the radar what a great group that is. Recruiting, game plans and player development are not one man jobs as most of you realize.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ususports

Post by ususports » March 1st, 2019, 3:16 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 3:03 pm
Don't forget the Summit League staff that Craig brought with him. It's kinda gone under the radar what a great group that is. Recruiting, game plans and player development are not one man jobs as most of you realize.
Holy crap, what are you doing? Don't bring this up. There were some fans on this board who thought they knew better than Coach Smith who should be on his staff.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 1st, 2019, 4:52 pm

2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote: Sounds like another Summit League caliber recruit recruited by a Summit League caliber coach.
I don't know, but Kerwynn Williams looks slow
Last edited by brownjeans on March 1st, 2019, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 1st, 2019, 4:55 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote: Sounds like another Summit League caliber recruit recruited by a Summit League caliber coach.
2004AG wrote:
Here’s the funniest part of all, as Aggies22 already pointed out, we aren’t winning with any summit league recruits anyways. Smith is doing it with Duryea’s players and Queta, who was recruited to Utah State from day one.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 4:55 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Here’s the funniest part of all, as Aggies22 already pointed out, we aren’t winning with any summit league recruits anyways. Smith is doing it with Duryea’s players and Queta, who was recruited to Utah State from day one.

The only missing in the analysis is that when we signed Queta half the board said he looked like a Summit League recruit. Maybe not exactly half but many were pooh-poohing the signing of Queta.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 1st, 2019, 5:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The only missing in the analysis is that when we signed Queta half the board said he looked like a Summit League recruit. Maybe not exactly half but many were pooh-poohing the signing of Queta.

Knocked kneed, slow and couldn’t jump. Coach did an awesome job of addressing all those deficiencies. He’s come a long way in a short time.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
To add to the ongoing humor on this board, there has been all of the negative talk about the 3 previous walk-ons who are helping us compete for a potential share of the MWC regular season championship. There was a lot of inaccurate evaluations of talent on this board.

Now back to the topic, I am excited about this new recruit.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 1st, 2019, 7:53 pm

ususports wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
To add to the ongoing humor on this board, there has been all of the negative talk about the 3 previous walk-ons who are helping us compete for a potential share of the MWC regular season championship. There was a lot of inaccurate evaluations of talent on this board.

Now back to the topic, I am excited about this new recruit.
In fairness to the board, we saw two of those walk ons play last year under Duryea. No one could’ve seen their abilities watching what we watched last year.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 2nd, 2019, 7:40 am

ususports wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:58 pm
2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Flying scotsman liked it, so make it 5001 times, but I will let you be the one to keep counting going forward.
I have a gift for remembering old things and thinking they are funny every time in perpetuity. :noidea:

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Well. Now I’m lost. Usu blue is close if not smarter than me on talent evaluation
Great Scott Well ,I figure we Are together

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm

There was a quote and a video on Twitter today from Geno Auriemma, the legendary women's coach at UConn, that speaks volumes about what is going on at USU under Coach Smith this year:
“We put a HUGE premium in body language. If [a players] body language is bad, you will never play EVER!” Auriemma went on to explain how he benched his top player one time because she was whining about some little thing, so he said, "Go sit over there . . . you're done for the night." Then he said, "I would sooner lose than play somebody whose body language is so bad that they're telling me they are only interested in themselves."
Now, take the Auriemma quote and apply it to Utah State. People wonder where Utah State came from this year? But all you have to do is look at last years team. Pretty much the same team this year as last, with the exception of two players and a coaching staff. Last year the team had a major player who thought he WAS THE TEAM, and a Head Coach who seemed lost and confused most of the time. They finished 17-17.

This year, however, with the coaches and players showing completely different body language, the same team as last year (with the exception of ONE STARTER -- one exchanged for another) and one of the most inexperienced teams in the conference, has gone 25-6 so far.

Must be something to this body language stuff.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 9th, 2019, 11:00 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm
There was a quote and a video on Twitter today from Geno Auriemma, the legendary women's coach at UConn, that speaks volumes about what is going on at USU under Coach Smith this year:
“We put a HUGE premium in body language. If [a players] body language is bad, you will never play EVER!” Auriemma went on to explain how he benched his top player one time because she was whining about some little thing, so he said, "Go sit over there . . . you're done for the night." Then he said, "I would sooner lose than play somebody whose body language is so bad that they're telling me they are only interested in themselves."
Now, take the Auriemma quote and apply it to Utah State. People wonder where Utah State came from this year? But all you have to do is look at last years team. Pretty much the same team this year as last, with the exception of two players and a coaching staff. Last year the team had a major player who thought he WAS THE TEAM, and a Head Coach who seemed lost and confused most of the time. They finished 17-17.

This year, however, with the coaches and players showing completely different body language, the same team as last year (with the exception of ONE STARTER -- one exchanged for another) and one of the most inexperienced teams in the conference, has gone 25-6 so far.

Must be something to this body language stuff.
Having teachable players and players that really support each other on/off the court is HUGE! I was really impressed by the story coach Smith told about Queta on the coaches show. I'll probably slaughter it but essentially he told Queta he was sorry and probably made a mistake by not playing him more during a loss. Queta responded by saying he hadn't given coach Smith a reason to play him more that game. What a great perspective/response for a talented young player like Queta. Coach Smith even pointed out that not many young players would respond that way. We are truly playing significantly better team basketball this season and I think most of that is because of Coach Smith, but it is also because our current players have truly bought into the philosophy.

Locked Previous topicNext topic