The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ratofallaggies

Re: The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

Post by ratofallaggies » March 4th, 2019, 3:02 pm

First - I've never understood how someone can demand that another person outs their source. Believe it or not, that's your choice. I for once know Aggies22 and will back what he's saying.

Second, it's a little far fetched to think that the MWC would ban UNR or that UNR would fire Mussel.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:03 pm

I hope nothing like that happens. We are talking about a high emotions game that went bad after it was over. I'm glad it didn't escalate beyond some glass. I think it would make a cool place to honor the Spectrum Magic returning.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I'm hearing that this had almost ZERO to do with USU at all, just UNR blowing off steam in a bad way. What the video doesn't tell is:

1. No evidence that any UNR teammates were touched. We know that Thurman may have made contact the student section after one of the Martin twins took a fell down and the students section gave him chit for it. Thurman MAY HAVE swatted the hands from some in the student section, but this is not 100% known.

2. Handshake Lineup - no video proof that anyone was visibly upset during the lineup.

3. According to witnesses inside the tunnel, Caroline was balling and sobbing after he entered the tunnel. He eventually had to be physically introduced into the NEVADA locker room by teammates and coaches. AFTER he was in the locker room, HE bolts and runs down the hall in the direction of the Aggie locker room, the rest of the UNR teammates follow Caroline's lead, possibly knocking down one of UNR's AC's in the process. It's been rumored that Trey Porter was the lone cool head and actually battled it out with another teammate who insisted they should all go, while UNR runs down the hallway towards the Aggie Locker room.

4. Musselman did nothing to diffuse the situation and by this time the entire team is in the hallway yelling and cussing. Tray Porter finally loses his cool and is out in the hallway with the team, he apparently attempted to rip down a framed photo of old Main, but is stopped by an assistant coach. Eventually the team is led back to the locker room.

THIS is what I think we'll here. NOTHING to do with USU! This is UNR blowing off steam in a bad way. Bad behavior by UNR, nothing more!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I’m just glad our guys were still on the court. If they had been going into the locker room when Caroline made the rush over there, things could have gotten a LOT uglier very fast. He should be held responsible for trying to start a riot by the league.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Blue42

jAggie

Post by jAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Maybe Caroline heard "Sweet Caroline" playing and that pissed him off? :stirpot:

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 4th, 2019, 3:10 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:02 pm
First - I've never understood how someone can demand that another person outs their source. Believe it or not, that's your choice. I for once know Aggies22 and will back what he's saying.

Second, it's a little far fetched to think that the MWC would ban UNR or that UNR would fire Mussel.
I agree, even if everything on video comes out I don't imagine the MW would do much.

Muss isn't going to be fired and I can only picture a slap on the wrist, maybe one game suspension, for Caroline.

The league will protect Nevada and as much as they may hate it Utah State finishing the season strong and doing well in the MW tourney are their best chances at getting two teams into the NCAA tournament.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm

usubobcat wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.
Why should that make [such] a difference? I'm honestly confused by what you're saying here.
Well, you see.... you use... different moves.... when you're fighting... half a dozen people... than when you only have to be worried.... about one.
{Sigh} Sky View people.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 3:42 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
usubobcat wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.
Why should that make [such] a difference? I'm honestly confused by what you're saying here.
Well, you see.... you use... different moves.... when you're fighting... half a dozen people... than when you only have to be worried.... about one.
{Sigh} Sky View people.
Hey! I'm a Sky View dude! :)

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » March 4th, 2019, 4:16 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:07 pm
I'm hearing that this had almost ZERO to do with USU at all, just UNR blowing off steam in a bad way. What the video doesn't tell is:

1. No evidence that any UNR teammates were touched. We know that Thurman may have made contact the student section after one of the Martin twins took a fell down and the students section gave him chit for it. Thurman MAY HAVE swatted the hands from some in the student section, but this is not 100% known.

2. Handshake Lineup - no video proof that anyone was visibly upset during the lineup.

3. According to witnesses inside the tunnel, Caroline was balling and sobbing after he entered the tunnel. He eventually had to be physically introduced into the NEVADA locker room by teammates and coaches. AFTER he was in the locker room, HE bolts and runs down the hall in the direction of the Aggie locker room, the rest of the UNR teammates follow Caroline's lead, possibly knocking down one of UNR's AC's in the process. It's been rumored that Trey Porter was the lone cool head and actually battled it out with another teammate who insisted they should all go, while UNR runs down the hallway towards the Aggie Locker room.

4. Musselman did nothing to diffuse the situation and by this time the entire team is in the hallway yelling and cussing. Tray Porter finally loses his cool and is out in the hallway with the team, he apparently attempted to rip down a framed photo of old Main, but is stopped by an assistant coach. Eventually the team is led back to the locker room.

THIS is what I think we'll here. NOTHING to do with USU! This is UNR blowing off steam in a bad way. Bad behavior by UNR, nothing more!
Are you talking players? Because, the coaches are definitely going after each other in the video.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 4th, 2019, 6:54 pm

The Mrs. suggested USU send the bill for repairing the glass to Nevada. Also, couldn’t he have been arrested for vandalism?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 6:54 pm
The Mrs. suggested USU send the bill for repairing the glass to Nevada. Also, couldn’t he have been arrested for vandalism?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or this: https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapt ... -S101.html

BeNo

Post by BeNo » March 4th, 2019, 7:08 pm

No idea who NVGiant and mwcfans on the mwcboard are. Their information seems to be in line with what aggies22 has presented:

NVGiant
https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... nt=2484733

mwcfans
https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... nt=2484965

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » March 4th, 2019, 7:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hope this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

On the accusation that our fans made contact with the Nevada players?

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

What happened in the tunnel?

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
I find the description of what happened in the tunnell far fetched. In the video only Caroline has lost his cool. A number of Nevada staff and players are calmly walking by. Most of them seem startled as they walk by Caroline during his tirade. Many of them don't even seem to pay attention. Hard to believe they were all just coming from trying to storm the USU locker room.

I joked about this before but I honestly think hearing Sweet Caroline set him off. We play that every game though, I didn't even correlate the two

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 7:14 pm

UtahStizzle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hope this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
I find the description of what happened in the tunnell far fetched. In the video only Caroline has lost his cool. A number of Nevada staff and players are calmly walking by. Most of them seem startled as they walk by Caroline during his tirade. Many of them don't even seem to pay attention. Hard to believe they were all just coming from trying to storm the USU locker room.

I joked about this before but I honestly think hearing Sweet Caroline set him off. We play that every game though, I didn't even correlate the two
Just wait.

corio

Post by corio » March 4th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I’m going to take a shot in the dark right now but hear me out. The current narrative that is cycling around is that Caroline is a good person who can control himself in any situation and to lash out like this in uncharacteristic. I feel like the video may contradict this, but if we run with the claims there are a few possibilities as to why he would act like he did. Here is my theory:

Nevada started the season in the top 10 and had high aspirations for success. They had national attention and were even slated to reach the Final Four by some experts. As the season progressed though, things were found out about their play style and they began to lose momentum. Other teams within the Mountain West started to chip away at the top and Nevada dropped two games to San Diego State and New Mexico in the later parts of the year. These two teams had historically been good so the losses were easier to take. It wasn’t some underdog story where a snot-nosed-9th-in-the-preseason-MW-team beat them fair and square. Taking the losses, a refocused Nevada hit their stride again at home and after some solid wins, prepared for a tough road game against the firecracker team at Utah State. This team was young and inexperienced with a first-year coach, but they were doing decent for the time being. Unfortunately for them, Nevada had something to prove and deserved this win. They had already walloped the Aggies 72-49, so this game was going to be a sad disappointment for anyone thinking it would be close. The Spectrum used to be a top-rated athletic venue when it came to gameday atmosphere, but the Aggies had been sputtering through basketball since they entered the conference. There was no way Nevada could lose. Unfortunately, fate had different plans and the Aggies pulled ahead and stayed on top the entire game. Even when things got chippy, this team of freshman adjusted and played their hearts out. Utah State was winning. How? Why? Nevada needed this! Nevada was supposed to be in the Final Four! Teams in the Final Four don’t lose to Utah State! But it wasn’t to be. As the seconds ticked away in the final minutes, the weight of the situation sunk in and the Wolf Pack graciously accepted defeat and jogged to the locker room, discouraged but still respectful of the opposing team’s right to celebrate. Yes, it doesn’t feel good to lose, but that is the nature of the sport. “Guess we gotta fight harder” , thought Caroline as he walked into the locker room, “Tomorrow’s a new day and we still gotta st-.” He stopped suddenly in his tracks. Frozen by fear, his blood ran cold. The game didn’t matter anymore. Nothing mattered anymore. He just needed to get out. His eyes watered as his mind raced. He moved his lips but no sound came out as he mouthed the word. Spider. There it was. The biggest, brownest, ugliest thing you’ve ever seen. Just sitting there all gross and nasty in the middle of the floor. His teammates tried to funnel in behind him but they couldn’t get past. One peeked around his shoulder to see what was holding him up, and immediately notified the rest of the team. Caroline’s uncontrollable fear of arachnids was well known amongst his teammates. When he sees them, he becomes a different person. He lashes out and flings profanity. He gets violent and loud and the entire team knows it. Panicked they stepped back as Caroline burst back out through the door and down the hallway. He needed to be anywhere but next to the spider. Members from the coaching staff at this point remembered their training, jumped into action, and restrained him, saving him from himself and keeping thousands of Utah State fans safe from the path of destruction that a spider-scared Caroline would lay through the crowds still on the court. They were the true heroes of the night. God bless them. As they held the thrashing player, the rest of the team headed back into the locker room calmly as this wasn’t SpiderCaroline’s first bout of arachnophobia. They were used to the standard spider protocol. Everything would be back to normal and nothing was broken this time. Unfortunately, USU had left a door open that allowed several more spiders in that evening and one had decided to nest in a fire extinguisher case right next to where Caroline was being held. He saw it and with a mighty battle cry, Caroline shattered his fears as he shattered the glass with his fist. He was finally free. He had done it. I for one congratulate the man for finally taking steps towards overcoming what has been such a hidden burden for so long and pray they don’t play Richmond anytime soon. Thanks to the Nevada staff and shame on Utah State’s exterminator!
These users thanked the author corio for the post (total 4):
LarryTheAggieUSU78Aggie_in_Idahousufan1

BeNo

Post by BeNo » March 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Ahbye wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:14 pm
UtahStizzle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:12 pm

The handshake line?

My Conclusion.

Just wait.
Is something about to drop?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 4th, 2019, 8:11 pm

UtahStizzle wrote:

The handshake line?

My Conclusion.

Yes, Occam’s Razor: Caroline is a competitive person who deals with significant emotional and mental issues, and he was set off by some inexplicable thing, and everything that Nevada has said and done since his outburst has been said and done to protect someone that they have an emotional connection to. Solved.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Locked Previous topicNext topic