The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am

Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hope this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

On the accusation that our fans made contact with the Nevada players?

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

What happened in the tunnel?

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
Last edited by aggies22 on March 4th, 2019, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 17):
ThunderAggiebreadysmithMrBiggleSpectrumMagicAggie_in_Idahoaceofspadeskbusufan1Blue42AgSpaceCaseIdaAg93 and 7 more users

918AGG

Re: The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

Post by 918AGG » March 4th, 2019, 10:44 am

I don't mean to belittle any of this, but the fact that we have managed to draw, nationally ranked, Nevada basketball's ire is just so, so sweet to me.

If we were 14-16, and 6th in the Mountain West, they wouldn't care quite as much about us. Go Aggs!
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 10:48 am

😮

Can

Not

Believe

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 4th, 2019, 10:53 am

This only raises more questions. Why did the Nevada team leave the locker room? Not just one person, but the entire team? And what was Muscleman doing as this was happening?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 4th, 2019, 10:57 am

Except I shall see, I will not believe.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 4th, 2019, 10:58 am

As time has past, I've become increasingly confident that most, if not all the blame for this incident lies with Nevada. The Nevada press and forums have gone completely silent as if they are cowering in a corner waiting for the hammer to drop.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
akaggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 10:59 am

I can only assume that all of this has been captured on video. Hopefully one of the newspapers / news sources will request the police and/or surveillance camera footage in a GRAMA request. If I am not mistaken, they have every right to do so.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 4th, 2019, 11:02 am

I don’t know the laws/rules too well, but could that truly be inciting a riot?

Where only sage brush grows

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 4th, 2019, 11:04 am

Nevada will just claim that comments were said by USU and its fans that led to this. We will still take the blame for it. "He did what he did because of those disgusting Aggie comments"

Go Aggies!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 4th, 2019, 11:11 am

If the story about them leaving their own locker room en masse holds up, perhaps the policeman’s aggressive display to get them back in their own locker room is completely justified. He could have been radioed from a cop on the Spectrum floor that the USU team was headed up the tunnel and knew he had to get them back in their room as quickly as possible because two teams in a hallways with one player seeing-red apoplectic and coaches unwilling to handle them is a powder keg.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 4th, 2019, 11:11 am

MrBiggle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:02 am
I don’t know the laws/rules too well, but could that truly be inciting a riot?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

xdaveodbx
Has thanked: 0

Post by xdaveodbx » March 4th, 2019, 11:15 am

After reviewing the security footage it can be clearly seen: “hands, touching hands, reaching out, touching me, touching you”
These users thanked the author xdaveodbx for the post:
jackmormon

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 4th, 2019, 11:16 am

So the KUTV video that went out first was actually after Nevada had already made it to their locker room and then came charging out of it to get to the USU locker room?

This does make more sense of why the order of the players and coaches didn't match how we saw them leave the court and enter the tunnel. Many people were wondering how Musselman could have entered so much earlier than the rest of the staff and team and Caroline was dead last in line and yet it almost seemed reversed in the viral punching and screaming videos.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
treesap32

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 11:17 am

jpswensen wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:11 am
If the story about them leaving their own locker room en masse holds up, perhaps the policeman’s aggressive display to get them back in their own locker room is completely justified. He could have been radioed from a cop on the Spectrum floor that the USU team was headed up the tunnel and knew he had to get them back in their room as quickly as possible because two teams in a hallways with one player seeing-red apoplectic and coaches unwilling to handle them is a powder keg.
That was my thought as well.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 11:18 am

Aglicious wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:16 am
So the KUTV video that went out first was actually after Nevada had already made it to their locker room and then came charging out of it to get to the USU locker room?

This does make more sense of why the order of the players and coaches didn't match how we saw them leave the court and enter the tunnel. Many people were wondering how Musselman could have entered so much earlier than the rest of the staff and team and Caroline was dead last in line and yet it almost seemed reversed in the viral punching and screaming videos.
Bingo. There's a lot more to this story. Someone needs to request the videos.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 4th, 2019, 11:23 am

Ahbye does this align with what you know?

(feel free to ignore if you can't/shouldn't answer)

Jdav

Post by Jdav » March 4th, 2019, 11:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hopes this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
I can verify Thurman swatting a fans hand. I saw it first hand and couldn’t believe my eyes. The ref didn’t believe our fans. Can’t say I blame him. But it kinda pokes a hole in Nevada’s whole “the students were touching players on inbound passes” claim.
These users thanked the author Jdav for the post:
Usu0505

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 11:33 am

Jdav wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:30 am
I can verify Thurman swatting a fans hand. I saw it first hand and couldn’t believe my eyes. The ref didn’t believe our fans. Can’t say I blame him. But it kinda pokes a hole in Nevada’s whole “the students were touching players on inbound passes” claim.
That, and the fact that none of our fans have 6 foot long arms to reach out and touch a player standing at the in-bounds line to throw the ball in bounds. I'd love to see footage or a picture of this alleged miracle when it occurred. The only "fan" who had arms long enough to achieve this was the giant Queta poster in the crowd.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
918AGG

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 4th, 2019, 11:35 am

Thanks for the OP and thanks for protecting your source, 22.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 4th, 2019, 11:38 am

i think it's wise to just let it go.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 4th, 2019, 11:41 am

AndroidAggie wrote:i think it's wise to just let it go.
You think we should really let it go while national sports shows are still coming out besmirching the good name of USU?

I don’t. I think a police report needs to be made with plenty of video evidence and then that release to the public. If idiots still bag on USU after full disclosure, we can’t do much about it, but we should release enough info to allow non-idiots to come to the correct conclusion.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
akaggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 11:43 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:38 am
i think it's wise to just let it go.
Wise to let what go? If we did absolutely nothing wrong, I want our university to stand up for itself, it’s coaches, it’s players and it’s fans.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 4th, 2019, 11:53 am

When I first saw this and heard what he was saying I thought he was yelling at his own coach to "run his s***, b****", I thought meaning run "his plays" or more plays for him. Of course with a huge ego and 7 points I could see how he would want to blame his coaches even.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
usudragon

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 4th, 2019, 11:55 am

Is this going to publicly released by the MW in a statement? Media has run wild with this story and if your source is 100% accurate then it would really turn the story on its head.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Turtle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:55 am
Is this going to publicly released by the MW in a statement? Media has run wild with this story and if your source is 100% accurate then it would really turn the story on its head.
My source IS 100% accurate. Without a doubt.

sstewboy

Post by sstewboy » March 4th, 2019, 12:13 pm

What is causing the delay in releasing this information?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 12:13 pm

jpswensen wrote:
It's not a matter of IF the story holds up. What I've described has been caught on tape. Again my source IS impeccable.

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » March 4th, 2019, 12:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:13 pm
jpswensen wrote:
It's not a matter of IF the story holds up. What I've described has been caught on tape. Again my source IS impeccable.
Are there plans to release the videos any time soon?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Blue23 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:13 pm
jpswensen wrote:
Are there plans to release the videos any time soon?
That's not my call. I would imagine it has to happen sometime because Utah State is getting the $hit beat out of them by the national media. At some point in time one would think enough is enough and the Utah State side of the story will be told.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

aggies22 wrote:Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hopes this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

The handshake line?

My Conclusion.

This explains why one of Nevada's assistants appears to be checking his arm as they are all ushered down the hall.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by usufan1 on March 4th, 2019, 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

So the question is...what prompted the exiting of the Nevada players from the Nevada locker room?

Probably getting their butts kicked by a bunch low talent basketball players.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » March 4th, 2019, 12:25 pm

The crappy thing about situations like this is the initial story is what gets reported and what everyone remembers. If and when the real story comes out, no one will care anymore. No ESPN "journalist" is going to backtrack what they said. We will be remembered as the bad guys.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 4th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Not guaranteed, because it sounds like Caroline went even more nuts than previously seen which would still be a big story. If it was ONLY a correction, it would get next to no attention.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hopes this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

The handshake line?

My Conclusion.

This helps clear up a lot of the timeline questions I had, so thanks for posting it!

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

BeNo

Post by BeNo » March 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Turtle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:55 am
My source IS 100% accurate. Without a doubt.
credit andytheaggie:

Locked Previous topicNext topic