Official: The MW Will Take No Action

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Official: The MW Will Take No Action

Post by ProvoAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

https://themw.com/news/2019/3/4/mountai ... ath=mbball

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – After a thorough investigation into the circumstances of Saturday night’s incident, which included a review of numerous video clips from various sources and the collection of written statements from multiple individuals, the Mountain West has concluded the situation was not caused by the court rush. There was a postgame management plan in place and it was executed successfully.

Rather, inappropriate conduct by individuals from both programs in the postgame handshake line and subsequently in the locker room areas created the unfortunate circumstances. The Conference office has had multiple communications with both athletics directors and has shared the findings of its review. Each institution will be responsible for the determination and administration of what it deems appropriate disciplinary action for those involved. It must be made clear unsportsmanlike and unprofessional conduct is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

SpectrumMagic

Re: Official: The MW Will Take No Action

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 4th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Total cop out. I’m not disappointed because this is what I expected. Conference to not do anything to it’s “marquee” basketball program and an aw shucks sorry that USU is held responsible in court of public opinion
Last edited by SpectrumMagic on March 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post (total 2):
BeefEaterAggie_in_Idaho

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Chicken$(I can't express myself without swearing)
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Complete trash from the Mountain West.

#ReleaseTheTapes
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Showing my True Colors since 2022

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm
https://themw.com/news/2019/3/4/mountai ... ath=mbball

It must be made clear unsportsmanlike and unprofessional conduct is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
Except that you just demonstrated that it will be tolerated.......
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm

USU needs to release the video.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Cast Iron Aggie

Post by Cast Iron Aggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

You can bet they would have taken action if it had come out that any of Nevada's accusations were true.
These users thanked the author Cast Iron Aggie for the post (total 2):
BeefEaterAggie_in_Idaho

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

So, what was the inappropriate behavior by the Aggies in the locker room area?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Statement from Nevada:
Nevada Athletics Statement
Our department is thankful for the diligence of the Mountain West Conference, and Utah State’s athletics administration, in their review of the events from Saturday night at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum in Logan.
We accept the review of the Mountain West and we will handle this matter internally. All parties involved can learn from this incident, and we will. The Mountain West believes in the highest ideals of sportsmanship and good behavior, and we will address this with members of our program who fell short of these ideals on Saturday night.
We will pay restitution to Utah State University for any property damages incurred during the incident.
As we learn from this, it’s time for all parties to move forward. We are eager put this incident behind us and prepare for the final week of the regular season and the Mountain West Championships.
Additionally, there was a great amount of misinformation in some media reports, including an unfortunate misidentification of other Nevada staff members as head coach Eric Musselman. We’re appreciative of those media outlets and the wire services that have since corrected this information.
Statement from Utah State:
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hartwell released the following statement Monday afternoon regarding the postgame incident with its men’s basketball home game against Nevada last weekend.

“First of all, we want to thank both the Mountain West and the University of Nevada in helping us review the postgame incident from Saturday night. While unfortunate, it should not overshadow what was a great college basketball game between two NCAA Tournament-caliber teams. After reviewing all the evidence, from surveillance video to eyewitness accounts, the incident was not a game management issue and was not caused by our students rushing the court. The unsportsmanlike behavior following the game did not include any of our student-athletes, but rather a couple of staff members, which is unacceptable, and we will handle those issues internally. Moving forward, Utah State Athletics will review our game management procedures in an effort to continually learn and improve.”

superheroboy

Post by superheroboy » March 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Time for someone to leak the video. I'm happy to do it if someone will send it on to me :devil:

Cast Iron Aggie

Post by Cast Iron Aggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm

USU needs to release the videos or we're going to keep getting dragged through the mud.
These users thanked the author Cast Iron Aggie for the post:
aggies22

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Release the video!!

dogie

Post by dogie » March 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

bigblue wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm
USU needs to release the video.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DECLAS

Panic in [RENO]

They never thought they would lose.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
PapalBull

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Unsportsmanlike conduct cannot and will not be tolerated, therefore we are not issuing any suspensions or penalties to any of the individuals involved. The University of Nevada, Reno will, however, pay for Logan Glass to come and replace the panel of glass that Jordan Caroline punched through in his fit of uncontrollable rage.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
bluegrouse

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:42 pm

:x Wow, just wow.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » March 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I'm completely shocked...that any of you really thought any action would be taken against Nevada or Caroline. There was no chance of it. Never was.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
918AGGYoungBloodAggie

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Right now, Nevada/MW is begging USU not to release the footage as it will reflect very poorly on a few student athletes.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 4th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Screw them. It's our good name that has been sullied by their stupid choices and behavior. Release the tapes. Where's Tony Jones to ask for the release?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 4th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I want to see the Nevada release with the words that our students didn't cause it.

Go Aggies!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I want them to acknowledge their staffs part in this

Go Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I want to hear that their allegations were false.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Exactly what I expected. I hope everyone can move along now. We have a big game tomorrow and a big tourney to win.

dogie

Post by dogie » March 4th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Like that guy who looks and sounds like Musselman, but was actually some other guy who happened to be in the locker room hall at the wrong time and blew a fuse?

AggieWinz

Post by AggieWinz » March 4th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Great so Nevada and the media get to drag our school name through the dirt and we just have to take it? Thats about as crappy as Saturdays officiating! Release the full details of what happened Video and all!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:52 pm

What I found most interesting about the Nevada release was that they went out of their way to excuse Coach Musselman from any and all culpability. They did the same thing in their initial release, actually commending him for keeping a calm demeanor when it is apparent in video evidence that he did no such thing.

He's their money maker. Gotta protect him. Musselman was the first coach to snub our assistants of a handshake in the line. It could be argued that he is responsible for the whole thing.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:52 pm
What I found most interesting about the Nevada release was that they went out of their way to excuse Coach Musselman from any and all culpability. They did the same thing in their initial release, actually commending him for keeping a calm demeanor when it is apparent in video evidence that he did no such thing.

He's their money maker. Gotta protect him. Musselman was the first coach to snub our assistants of a handshake in the line. It could be argued that he is responsible for the whole thing.
I guarantee Musselman insisted on this being tacked onto the end of the release. I bet they were prepared to release everything except that last paragraph and he made them include it.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 3:54 pm

dogie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Like that guy who looks and sounds like Musselman, but was actually some other guy who happened to be in the locker room hall at the wrong time and blew a fuse?
Musselman’s son, Michael, is on the staff and looks like his twin. So they just threw him under the bus I guess.
Last edited by bluegrouse on March 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm

freakboy wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm
treesap32 wrote:

I guarantee Musselman insisted on this being tacked onto the end of the release. I bet they were prepared to release everything except that last paragraph and he made them include it.
Yep. Unfortunately for him there is video footage of him behaving like a complete moron in the handshake line and in the tunnel. But people won't bother going back to review the video. They'll take Nevada's word for it that he wasn't involved in the slightest, except for acting as a peace maker with a calm demeanor.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Unfortunately this will be a black eye on USU for some time. No matter how unjust it is. The only thing we can (and should) do is release the tapes.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Releasing the tapes won't do any good either. Just move on. I hope we beat their team again next week.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Some media member needs to GRAMA the tapes and it should be KUTV since their video started the thing. Have some guts and honor and go find out what really happened.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » March 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

If anything it will embolden their Coach and players that they can do anything they want and no ramifications. This set's a poor example especially now that USU's name has been trashed with no way now to recover face.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 4th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I was wondering why so many people were tieing quotes to Musselman. I thought it was pretty clear from the video that Muselman didn't say a word.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 4:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm
freakboy wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Yep. Unfortunately for him there is video footage of him behaving like a complete moron in the handshake line and in the tunnel. But people won't bother going back to review the video. They'll take Nevada's word for it that he wasn't involved in the slightest, except for acting as a peace maker with a calm demeanor.
Upon further review, Musselman was present in the tunnel videos, but was not saying anything. It was his assistants who were yelling in the faces of police officers and refusing to go into their locker room. Musselman was not telling any of the assistants or players to go to the locker room. He was just standing there in the video.

He did not shake the hands of the last three USU assistants, and he was the first one through the handshake line. The two assistants behind him (probably the top two assistants?) were the ones who escalated everything along with David Ragland from Utah State.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Musselman tweet:

In a tweet, coach Eric Musselman said:

"As someone who’s had the honor to know and coach Jordan Caroline for four years, I can testify to his outstanding character, high moral standards and strong integrity. He’s kind, compassionate, and competitive. Basketball aside, we’re fortunate to have such an upstanding young man as a part of the Wolf Pack family."

That all might actually be true but he should also state that his actions were highly inappropriate. Once again, accepting no responsibility.
Last edited by bluegrouse on March 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic