The Making of a Championship Team

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

The Making of a Championship Team

Post by OKAggie » March 6th, 2019, 7:40 am

You know, the usual: a couple of Portuguese, a transfer from Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa (not quite Scooba, MS, but close), and five RMs so white they can be injured by flash photography. Oh, and three of the five were walk-ons. And a motormouth rookie coach from a one stoplight town in northern Minnesota.

They could make a movie. "From the directors of Hoosiers and The Mighty Ducks....."

To quote Scott Garrard: "What the hell just happened?" Nobody saw this coming.

If Craig Smith isn't the MWCCOY, there should be a congressional investigation. And if Sam Merrill isn't the MWCPOY, I'm rounding up a posse to smash the glass on every fire extinguisher in every MWC arena.

What a terrific season so far! Can't wait to see what madness the rest of March might bring.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 15):
BustaMcNutthipsterdoofus21YoungBloodAggiesam tingeyUSU78NavyBlueAggieBlue42TurtleAggie_in_Idahoaggiesdotcom and 5 more users

Nobody here knows anything.

brian5562

Re: The Making of a Championship Team

Post by brian5562 » March 6th, 2019, 8:20 am

Great points. This team really reminds me of the 1992 Kentucky team that was a Lattner buzzer beater away from the final four. That team was made up of players that had stuck around during the dark days of Kentucky basketball with a number of them being instate kids. They also had their first NBA player in years in Mashburn. They played hard and for the name on the front of the jersey and will always be a beloved team in the bluegrass state.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 6th, 2019, 8:56 am

One year ago, the Aggies were 8-10 in conference. Imagine being told, at that time, that all of the following would be true for the '18-'19 season:

*Koby McEwen and Daron Henson will transfer (along with Pearre & Dargenton graduating)
*The '18'-'19 Aggies will have only one rotation player who was not on the '17-'18 team
*Abel Porter will play 42 minutes in the final game of the regular season

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd have said 3-15 was far more likely than 15-3. Of course, the returning players have improved and excelled, but Smith and Queta transformed this team in a way I never thought possible.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post (total 2):
TrueBluesneed

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

MarioWest wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 8:56 am
One year ago, the Aggies were 8-10 in conference. Imagine being told, at that time, that all of the following would be true for the '18-'19 season:

*Koby McEwen and Daron Henson will transfer (along with Pearre & Dargenton graduating)
*The '18'-'19 Aggies will have only one rotation player who was not on the '17-'18 team
*Abel Porter will play 42 minutes in the final game of the regular season

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd have said 3-15 was far more likely than 15-3. Of course, the returning players have improved and excelled, but Smith and Queta transformed this team in a way I never thought possible.
I nailed all of it besides the Abel Porter one. Didn't see that one going to overtime.

Locked Previous topicNext topic