A rule about protecting top seeds?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 44 times

A rule about protecting top seeds?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Years ago, I posted that for once, they should but won't make a 1 seed travel across the country to play a 16 seed close to their home. Something like 1 seed Duke playing 16 seed Texas Southern or Sam Houston State in Dallas, or 1 seed Michigan State playing 16 seed Florida Gulf Coast in Tampa. But someone else pointed out that there is an official rule or maybe it's just a guideline that the top 4 seeds are protected from lopsided crowds in the first two rounds.

So a question I have is, while there are some projections with us in the 8/9 seed meeting Gonzaga in the second in Salt Lake, would that even be allowed within the guidelines, or would the rule prohibit them from doing that, needing to protect Gonzaga? Or is Salt Lake City still close enough to Spokane that it's somewhat easy enough for their fans to come?

I have looked at past pairings, and the 1s and 2s always seem to get to play close to their home against teams far away in both rounds. The only pairing I found where a 2 had to play closer to the 7 or 10's home was there was one year 2 seed Duke had to play 7 seed South Carolina in Greenville, 2 hours from South Carolina's home, but even that was only 3 hours from Duke's home.

I do remember we as a 14 got to play Arizona in Boise, and as an 11 would have gotten to play 3 Missouri in the second if we won, but maybe they figure a team being four hours away from home is still harder for their fans to make it than one hour.

SweepDance
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: A rule about protecting top seeds?

Post by SweepDance » March 9th, 2019, 7:24 pm

As I remember it, the rule is that a top four seed is protected from playing against a team within a certain proximity of it’s home court (although I don’t remember the exact promxity.) This rule however, only applies to the first round so as long as USU has a 12-seed or better playing in SLC remains a possibility.

pilotaggie
Been liked: 7 times

Post by pilotaggie » March 9th, 2019, 7:53 pm

A few years back they acknowledged that they may take a team down a seed or two to keep them closer to their city. It sounded like it was just part of the process but not a major factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie
Been liked: 44 times

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 9th, 2019, 9:41 pm

OK, I just searched and found that the protection is only for the first round, as one article mentions that a 2 playing 7 Iowa State in Des Moines is a possibility.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic