You guys that are thinking we’re a lock

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
kofdog

Re: You guys that are thinking we’re a lock

Post by kofdog » March 11th, 2019, 3:12 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 3:05 pm
nswaggie wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 2:42 pm
kofdog wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 1:50 pm
FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 11:47 am
dhilk3785 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:18 am
I was a freshman at USU in the 03-04 season when we were in the top 25 and left out, so I will never think we're a "lock" until our name is on the screen on Selection Sunday. I believe we have to win at minimum our first game in the tourney, and likely our 2nd.
I was a junior at USU that same year. Was awful feeling, and losing in the first round of the NIT to Hawaii at home that year only made it worse. National media used that loss as validation that we didn't belong in the field.
Senior year for me but having grown up an Aggie, I don't trust anything until I see it or the clock says 0:00. Not gonna lie there are times they start the winning team losing team cheer and the inner Aggie in me worries its too soon....even though it's a given it's over.
It's what we signed up for and it's what we all truly love!
:lol: I am always worried about starting the winning team losing team to early as well.
Have they ever done the cheer and then ended up losing?
Nope, but still, weirder things have happened in cursed years past. :)

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I sat in the Spectrum during the "Overrated" chant to Pacific. They then proceeded to beat us with under a minute left.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 11th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Aggies and buck are locked Confident.
My thought, although it was CSU overtime win, Boise SDSU Nevada sealed it
Yeah. Heartbreak has occurred. I am now a bracketologist. Bucklocks.often wrong.com
Officially seeded USU#9. SLC

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

The only way that I see us not getting an at large bid is if Fresno State (or someone other than us or Nevada) wins the MW tournament. I can't imagine the committee selecting three teams from the MW into the tournament.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 11th, 2019, 5:06 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm
I sat in the Spectrum during the "Overrated" chant to Pacific. They then proceeded to beat us with under a minute left.
There are games that will go down in Aggie history as heart-breakers. Here’s my list of five agonizing Aggie losses in no particular order:
- Beating Pacific like a drum until we gave the game away in the last minute. Thankfully we redeemed ourselves against them later

- losing to Northridge in the BW conference torney in 2004

- losing to Irvine by letting Jerry Green go coast-to-coast. Were the Aggie defenders the only ones that didn’t see that coming?

- losing to BYU which supplied them their only win under scar-face

- losing to Marquette in Boise at the NCAAs when we had ‘em beat

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 11th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Winning Team wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
The only way that I see us not getting an at large bid is if Fresno State (or someone other than us or Nevada) wins the MW tournament. I can't imagine the committee selecting three teams from the MW into the tournament.
If we lose in the finals to a team not named Nevada, the MWC will get 3 in.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
ChicAggiedonlarson8

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 5:06 pm
NVAggie wrote:
There are games that will go down in Aggie history as heart-breakers. Here’s my list of five agonizing Aggie losses in no particular order:
- Beating Pacific like a drum until we gave the game away in the last minute. Thankfully we redeemed ourselves against them later

- losing to Irvine by letting Jerry Green go coast-to-coast. Were the Aggie defenders the only ones that didn’t see that coming?

How about Rich Taylor hitting a 3 in the final seconds of the Big West title game for San Jose State?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm

kofdog wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
kofdog wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
I was a freshman at USU in the 03-04 season when we were in the top 25 and left out, so I will never think we're a "lock" until our name is on the screen on Selection Sunday. I believe we have to win at minimum our first game in the tourney, and likely our 2nd.
I was a junior at USU that same year. Was awful feeling, and losing in the first round of the NIT to Hawaii at home that year only made it worse. National media used that loss as validation that we didn't belong in the field.
Senior year for me but having grown up an Aggie, I don't trust anything until I see it or the clock says 0:00. Not gonna lie there are times they start the winning team losing team cheer and the inner Aggie in me worries its too soon....even though it's a given it's over.
:lol: I am always worried about starting the winning team losing team to early as well.
Such as.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 11th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Before the cheer, we were up by 10 on Pacific with 57 seconds to go. We lost. Worst game ever!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 11th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I guess a good thing is that many of the bubble teams are playing each other in the first round of their tournaments. Losers are out.
Clemson - NC State
Indiana - Ohio State
Georgetown - Seton Hall
Alabama - Ole Miss

The down side is that half of them will win. But many of the teams who could bump us out will hopefully lose in their first couple of games. If we win our first one I think for sure we are in. But lets win the tournament!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 12th, 2019, 7:56 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
utaggies wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

How about Rich Taylor hitting a 3 in the final seconds of the Big West title game for San Jose State?
All heartbreakers. It is part of my Aggie DNA to worry. Here are the evolutionary events that made it so.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 12th, 2019, 8:51 am

:sarcasm:
Jjoey53 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm
kofdog wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
kofdog wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
Such as.......
:sarcasm:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 12th, 2019, 9:06 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
Me too! NIT game was sparsely attended from what I remember.

Hail Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 12th, 2019, 9:11 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:06 am
dhilk3785 wrote:
Me too! NIT game was sparsely attended from what I remember.
Damn! The hits just keep coming. AK is right poor attendance and we played like we didn't want to be there. I must have repressed this memory.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 12th, 2019, 9:36 am

If 8,976 is poor attendance then I must have really miss remembered. What I do remember is Hawaii shooting 60% from the field and three. I also remember Kuebler putting 28 points up on us.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » March 12th, 2019, 10:05 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
If 8,976 is poor attendance then I must have really miss remembered. What I do remember is Hawaii shooting 60% from the field and three. I also remember Kuebler putting 28 points up on us.
My recollection is the same as NVAggie, it was a good crowd - students were out in full force (thanks to a donor buying all the student tix - they are postseason games so students didn't get in free). And the Kuebler Elf torched us.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » March 12th, 2019, 10:29 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
utaggies wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

All heartbreakers. It is part of my Aggie DNA to worry. Here are the evolutionary events that made it so.
Jerry Green
Josers in the BW Finals
Montana St. in the NIT - closest I've ever seen Mormons to rioting

Sort of honorable mention goes to 2001 at Weber St. Mostly just because it was annoying to lose to them and the buzzkill after listening to Hawaii light up a Luke Staley-less BYU on the radio during the drive down. Car was rocking every time Hawaii scored, then got penalized for excessive celebration.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post:
USU78

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 12th, 2019, 1:06 pm

This is nothing like 2004. And it has nothing to do with our conference affiliation with the MW as opposed to the BW. I won’t get into it too much but just say that it mostly has to do with Stew and his irrationally stubborn approach to out of conference scheduling. He screwed us, plain and simple.

As for this season, I think we’re in decent shape to get in, regardless of what happens in Vegas, but i think we’ll all feel a lot better if we’re able to advance past Thursday.

Not to mention that our resume received another boost in the form of UCI’s rising NET ranking, which is now at 75 and our win over them is now considered a Q1 win. Fresno is on the brink at 79 and will probably become a Q1 win in the event that we fall to them on Friday in the semis. Things are looking really good, but a loss to UNM(NET ranking 190) or Wyoming (320) might make us sweat things out and watch how other conf. tourneys shake out.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 12th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Yep. This season our OOC SOS was like #24, we are #30 in NET, have a "signature" win over a team thats been in the top 10-15 all season who we are co-champions with. Only one bad loss really but SDSU has name value

Obviously it wouldn't help to lose our first game, but it would only lower us 1-2 seeds not knock us out entirely. The only way I'd sweat is if we lose to Wyoming AND a team besides Nevada won meaning they'd have to give the MW 3 bids. Still think we get in, but that's the only scenario where I'd be a bit nervous about it

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 13th, 2019, 8:50 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Yep. This season our OOC SOS was like #24, we are #30 in NET, have a "signature" win over a team thats been in the top 10-15 all season who we are co-champions with. Only one bad loss really but SDSU has name value

Obviously it wouldn't help to lose our first game, but it would only lower us 1-2 seeds not knock us out entirely. The only way I'd sweat is if we lose to Wyoming AND a team besides Nevada won meaning they'd have to give the MW 3 bids. Still think we get in, but that's the only scenario where I'd be a bit nervous about it
Agree 100%, MJA. As bad as a loss to UNM would be, it would be a Q3 loss, so not the end of all things. Like you said, probably takes us down a seed placement. What would be interesting is that if Fresno does raise its NET ranking to 75 or higher by this weekend, it makes our record against Q2 0-4 (losses to BYU, SDSU, ASU, and Fresno at home). It would take UVU winning out and beating NMSU to get to the big dance to, hopefully, raise its NET ranking to 75, thereby giving us at least one Q2 win.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

dogie

Post by dogie » March 13th, 2019, 9:00 am

UC Irvine just dropped from 75 to 76, so that’s now a Q2 win. It will be interesting to see where they end up.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 13th, 2019, 9:14 am

Something to remember, the floor for a MW team is going to be about a 12 seed simply because there are enough lower level conferences whose champions get an auto bid. They take up the lower seeds. So "falling 1 or 2 seeds" is actually a big deal when bracketologists currently have you somewhere around 10.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 13th, 2019, 9:47 am

dogie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:00 am
UC Irvine just dropped from 75 to 76, so that’s now a Q2 win. It will be interesting to see where they end up.
I would think if they win their tourney they'll move back up.

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 13th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Clemson has to be out know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author BigRedAggie for the post:
scotlandog

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 13th, 2019, 12:20 pm

BigRedAggie wrote:Clemson has to be out know.

Now*

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 13th, 2019, 1:43 pm

BigRedAggie wrote:Clemson has to be out know.

Clemson just gave up its spot to St Mary’s. 1 for 1 and everything is as it was before St Mary’s epic win.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
BigRedAggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 13th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Paul Sabin just said that Clemson still has a 74 percent chance of getting in

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Never underestimate an ACC's chances of making the tournament. The majority of bracket controversies are usually over an ACC team that somehow got in.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Never underestimate an ACC's chances of making the tournament. The majority of bracket controversies are usually over an ACC team that somehow got in.
It's all a bunch of garbage. We all know the mid-major has < 1% chance of winning the whole thing, but so does the mediocre P5 team with 12+ losses. I wish the NCAA would reward the little guys who have remarkable seasons no matter what conference they come from, even if they slip up in a 3 day tourney, rather than rewarding a team of underperforming high end recruits from a "major" conference for finishing middle of the pack.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyThunderAggie

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 13th, 2019, 2:18 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm
It's all a bunch of garbage. We all know the mid-major has < 1% chance of winning the whole thing, but so does the mediocre P5 team with 12+ losses. I wish the NCAA would reward the little guys who have remarkable seasons no matter what conference they come from, even if they slip up in a 3 day tourney, rather than rewarding a team of underperforming high end recruits from a "major" conference for finishing middle of the pack.
I couldn't agree more.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:34 pm

They aren't middle of the pack. They typically are on the low end of the pack.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 13th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I heard loud mouth dicky v saying something last night along the lines of the “little guys have no one to blame but themselves for choosing a poor conference to play in”

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I’m glad Dicky V has faded into the sunset a bit. He was always pretty annoying.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 13th, 2019, 6:28 pm

WAAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 4:52 pm
I heard loud mouth dicky v saying something last night along the lines of the “little guys have no one to blame but themselves for choosing a poor conference to play in”

I'm not a fan of the guy and he has in previous year been against mid majors getting in. BUT, last night he was saying the complete opposite. He was saying reward the mid major schools who had a great year and not the mediocre high majors with 13 or 14 loses.

In the comment you are referring to, he actually said something like the little guys are not to blame for the conference that these 14-15 loss teams have chosen to play in. This was said in the Saint Mary's game. WAAggie heard it wrong. It surprised me he said this. He has been a power conference homer in the past.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
ProvoAggie

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 13th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Wow. I failed the test. When I heard it, I must have just not paid attention and used my bias to hear what I expected. Glad to hear I was wrong.

Locked Previous topicNext topic