Potential Bid Stealer

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jimbo

Re: Potential Bid Stealer

Post by jimbo » March 12th, 2019, 11:39 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 11:27 pm
they are just removing what was assumed to be an available at large spot.
The auto winners aren't removing that spot, the losers might or will. For example, Gonzaga is removing an at-large spot from a bubble team. Belmont, Lipscomb, UNCG, Hofstra, Furman, etc might kick out a "deserving" bubble team if any of them get in.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 13th, 2019, 12:31 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Can we stop the “we’re a lock” talk. Literally no one has us as a lock. I haven’t even seen anyone have us in the “should be in” category.
We are basically on the should be in for every bracket. Our average seed is a 10, with multiple 8s and 9s. We aren't even really on the bubble.

If we lose to NM I'll get nervous, but even then lots of bubble teams will be losing in their conf tournaments too. I also think we are easily ahead of the other 4 mid majors on the bubble

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 13th, 2019, 12:42 am

We’re no 1
We’re no 1
We’re no 1!!!!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 13th, 2019, 4:49 am

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » March 13th, 2019, 6:26 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 10:29 pm
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... le-shrinks

Finally a “should be in” on ESPN with the most recent update. Says we are susceptible to bid stealers and an early exit in the conference tourney. Seems about right.
Yesterday afternoon that same site had us as a “work to do.” Clearly the SMC win helped our cause according to ESPN.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 13th, 2019, 6:59 am

You never want to see a bid thief, but if there were to be one SMC is not a bad one to have because USU beat them pretty good, and that Zag win will certainly bump them high in the net rankings making our win against them even more impressive to the committee. USU just needs to take care of business on their end. Win Thursday and you should be win, but how cool was it for SMC to win a conference tournament and hang a banner? It'll be nice to have USU raise two conference banners this year. They are certainly capable. They beat every team in their conference, so why not dig deep and strung up 3 consecutive wins?

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 13th, 2019, 7:37 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:59 am
You never want to see a bid thief, but if there were to be one SMC is not a bad one to have because USU beat them pretty good, and that Zag win will certainly bump them high in the net rankings making our win against them even more impressive to the committee. USU just needs to take care of business on their end. Win Thursday and you should be win, but how cool was it for SMC to win a conference tournament and hang a banner? It'll be nice to have USU raise two conference banners this year. They are certainly capable. They beat every team in their conference, so why not dig deep and strung up 3 consecutive wins?
If we win the conference tournament what do you think the best possible seed is we could get? 7?

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 13th, 2019, 7:58 am

Chatman wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:37 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:59 am
If we win the conference tournament what do you think the best possible seed is we could get? 7?
A net of 24 and a #7 seed.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 13th, 2019, 8:28 am

The SMC win has a zero effect in our changes for an at Large bid in my mind. It does shrink the bubble but we did beat them. They counter each other out. I prefer to just take the auto bid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 13th, 2019, 8:31 am

bigblue wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 8:28 am
The SMC win has a zero effect in our changes for an at Large bid in my mind. It does shrink the bubble but we did beat them. They counter each other out. I prefer to just take the auto bid.

I could see a problem if we lose tomorrow and any team other than Nevada wins the championship. I think it will be tough to convince the committee that the MWC is a 3 team league this year. We may have problems if anyone other than USU or Nevada wins the championship game period. That's where the shrinking bubble could get us.

Go Aggies!

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 13th, 2019, 8:42 am

Not worried in the slightest about this. Belmont, UNCG, Furman, and Lipscomb on the other hand...

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 13th, 2019, 9:00 am

This article sums up our current state pretty well. We have reason to be concerned.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... le-shrinks

From the article:
But you're a savvy reader of Bubble Watch, so here's yet another way to look at how the field is taking shape. You'll notice eight teams are listed as "should be in." Those teams are Syracuse, Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Iowa, Minnesota, Ole Miss, VCU and Utah State.

It would be far from the most shocking March event ever if one of these teams failed to make the tournament. That said, the reason they're all being listed as "should be in" a few days out from Selection Sunday is that there's a good chance they all will make their way safely into the field.

So there's the bubble, yes, but then there's what might be termed the heart of the bubble: 16 available spots minus eight "should be in" teams means, in a way, there are now just eight spots that are very available.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

There are so many variables right now that it isn't even worth worrying about it. We don't know how the committee will use the new NET ranking. Is it ignored? Will it be a major factor? Every year there are teams that "shock the bubble" by winning their conference tournament. I see the St. Mary's win as pretty typical. Gonzaga knew they were in and played without any motivation. St. Marys needed to win and played with huge motivation. It only helps the WCC conference with that loss. We could see the same thing out of UNR this week as well. They know they are in the tournament. I suspect, after last week, that they will be motivated to hang up the conference tournament banner with all of those seniors. They are also playing for seeding. It should be a fun tournament. Just sit back and be happy that we are even in the conversation. This isn't 2004

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 13th, 2019, 9:49 am

JFW

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 13th, 2019, 10:21 am

If we aren't playing in the conference championship game, then we do not deserve to be in the big dance. If we can't beat a sub par MWC foe, then we don't deserve a shot at someone else. Big Dance teams should be teams that win when it matters.
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post:
aggies22

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

BioAggie wrote:If we aren't playing in the conference championship game, then we do not deserve to be in the big dance. If we can't beat a sub par MWC foe, then we don't deserve a shot at someone else. Big Dance teams should be teams that win when it matters.
Disagree. I think we will win but Fresno is a good team and can get very hot. That would not be a bad loss. Our work over the course of the season means more to me then losing one game where a team could just be on fire. If we are blown out that’s another story. Or if we lost to New Mexico or Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 13th, 2019, 10:47 am

BioAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
If we aren't playing in the conference championship game, then we do not deserve to be in the big dance. If we can't beat a sub par MWC foe, then we don't deserve a shot at someone else. Big Dance teams should be teams that win when it matters.
Yeah! Just like Gonzaga!

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » March 13th, 2019, 10:49 am

Usu0505 wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:31 am
BioAggie wrote:If we aren't playing in the conference championship game, then we do not deserve to be in the big dance. If we can't beat a sub par MWC foe, then we don't deserve a shot at someone else. Big Dance teams should be teams that win when it matters.
Disagree. I think we will win but Fresno is a good team and can get very hot. That would not be a bad loss. Our work over the course of the season means more to me then losing one game where a team could just be on fire. If we are blown out that’s another story. Or if we lost to New Mexico or Wyoming.

Agreed 0505. Bio, your reasoning works in a vacuum only. Basically if there are 32 conference tournament winners, there are 36 teams that lost in their tournament that are getting in. So if we lose in our tournament are we in the top 36 of tournament losers? I think we are based on our season, not on one game in March.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post:
Zaggie07

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 13th, 2019, 1:40 pm

bigblue wrote:The SMC win has a zero effect in our changes for an at Large bid in my mind. It does shrink the bubble but we did beat them. They counter each other out. I prefer to just take the auto bid.

I think the St Mary’s victory helps us greatly even if it shrinks the bubble. The committee is going to be looking at our resume and before the win they would say well they beat Nevada and not really anyone else. Now they will have St Maya fresh in their mind after beating the #1 seed. This perception will go a long ways when comparing resumes.

I also don’t agree with the idea that we need to convince the committee hat the MWC should get 3 bids if we and Nevada lose. I think we are squarely in the field right now and we will be evaluated on our resume compared to those on the bubble. My only fear is if we lose to NM/WYO. That loss could give them an excuse to drop us down enough to be on the bubble fringe and left out if they are looking for an excuse. A loss to Fresno or a loss to say SDSU in the final I don’t think hurts us and I could see 3 teams in.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
BigRedAggie

scotlandog

Potential Bid Stealer

Post by scotlandog » March 13th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Not a bid steal but TCU might lose, knocking them off the bubble..

Nope. Oklahoma St loses..

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 14th, 2019, 1:53 am

BioAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
So like 33 of the 45 power conference teams don't deserve to get in either then, right?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 14th, 2019, 5:02 am

You can't discount the regular season or why pay it. Sorry, but tasks like Oklahoma and Clemson have no business being in the tournament over teams like Utah State this year. In fact they should even be in the conversation of an at large bid.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 14th, 2019, 9:19 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 5:02 am
You can't discount the regular season or why pay it. Sorry, but tasks like Oklahoma and Clemson have no business being in the tournament over teams like Utah State this year. In fact they should even be in the conversation of an at large bid.

Yep. Conference tournaments, especially for small conferences, really cheapen the regular season. For example, it’s absolutely absurd that South Dakota St will not be representing the Summit League in the NCAA tournament because of one game in a three-day tournament.

Conference tournaments are really only good for: (1) middle of the pack P5 schools to win a game or two, impress the committee, and get in over a more deserving 25-30 win mid-major; (2) underachieving, but talented teams like UNLV, SDSU, or UNM.

Regular season championships should determine autobids. That’s why it’s appropriate to call middle of the road teams that win 3-day tournaments “bid stealers,” especially in one bid leagues. One bad shooting night in a conference tourney should not undermine an entire season.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
SpectrumMagic

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 14th, 2019, 9:49 am

It's just part of March Madness.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aceofspadeskb

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:19 am
dyedblue wrote:

Yep. Conference tournaments, especially for small conferences, really cheapen the regular season. For example, it’s absolutely absurd that South Dakota St will not be representing the Summit League in the NCAA tournament because of one game in a three-day tournament.

Conference tournaments are really only good for: (1) middle of the pack P5 schools to win a game or two, impress the committee, and get in over a more deserving 25-30 win mid-major; (2) underachieving, but talented teams like UNLV, SDSU, or UNM.

Regular season championships should determine autobids. That’s why it’s appropriate to call middle of the road teams that win 3-day tournaments “bid stealers,” especially in one bid leagues. One bad shooting night in a conference tourney should not undermine an entire season.
I disagree. The whole idea of March Madness would be wrecked by making this change. Starting March 1, every team in the NCAA(with the exception of the Ivy league which has no tournament) has a shot at a national championship. The runs that teams make, starting with their conference tournaments is what makes March March.

The regular season is still quite meaningful for conference and NCAA tournament seeding, which greatly affects your chances of making a run.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 3):
aggies22sam tingeysneed

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 14th, 2019, 10:01 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:51 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I disagree. The whole idea of March Madness would be wrecked by making this change. Starting March 1, every team in the NCAA(with the exception of the Ivy league which has no tournament) has a shot at a national championship. The runs that teams make, starting with their conference tournaments is what makes March March.

The regular season is still quite meaningful for conference and NCAA tournament seeding, which greatly affects your chances of making a run.
Agree. But even the Ivy has succumbed to the Madness. Top 4 play on Saturday and Sunday for auto-bid

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » March 14th, 2019, 10:26 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I see both sides of it. The conference tourney really cheapens the regular season in one bid leagues. Especially if there aren't significant advantages to winning the regular season (byes, conference tourney home games, etc.).

Personally I would like a system where the regular season conference champ got a bye to the conference championship game, with the remaining teams fighting to play them. That way every team still has a chance, but winning the regular season gives you a significant advantage by having 3+ days of extra rest and only having to win one game.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

A lot of paranoia here,relax, Aggies are in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
sneed

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
A lot of paranoia here,relax, Aggies are in.

You aren't a true Aggie fan if you aren't paranoid about something. :)
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
NVAggieAggie19usufan1sam tingey

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 14th, 2019, 11:36 am

It's interesting that there two ways you can tell how long someone has been an Aggie fan. How good they feel about us being safely in the tournament when experts say we are in, and how safe they feel about having a big lead about BYU in football. If they easily feel safe about those two things, it's obvious they weren't fans back in 2004 or 2002.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 14th, 2019, 11:42 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

One thing I miss was when Mountain Dew had the thing where the put school's names on caps and you won a prize if you got a cap with the school that won the championship. It was fun to collect schools, and a whole lot funner to get a school's cap and think that you lost cause Arkansas State or Coastal Carolina didn't win the championship than to just get a typical "Play Again" cap.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 14th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Washington, now considered a Bubble team, has started their tournament. I think we are still hoping they win the whole thing and Arizona St loses early.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » March 15th, 2019, 11:18 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:42 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

One thing I miss was when Mountain Dew had the thing where the put school's names on caps and you won a prize if you got a cap with the school that won the championship. It was fun to collect schools, and a whole lot funner to get a school's cap and think that you lost cause Arkansas State or Coastal Carolina didn't win the championship than to just get a typical "Play Again" cap.
The thing about the bottle caps brought back one of my fondest memories. In 2001, there was a contest in the valley where if you turned in a cap with a big west team on it, you got entered into a drawing. The winner would get airfare and hotel in Anaheim and tickets for the big west tournament. Me and my brother did everything we could to get tons of entries. We got Mt Dew every chance we got, we dug bottles out of every random garbage can, just looking for big west bottle caps. We did get a bunch, but we were too young to enter (I was 15 and he was 14). So we gave all the caps to my dad and made him enter for us. We weren’t sure who he would take if he won, but we were willing to cross that bridge when we got there. So the day of the drawing came, and it was at a car dealership on 5 North and Main. We were there and very excited. The guy drew a name out of a bag and said “the winner is... I can’t read this, you can’t win if I can’t read your name.” I said “dad, that’s you! You won!” So my dad sheepishly said to the guy “does it maybe say Dad Murky?” The guy was like “I think so. We have our winner!” So me and my brother we’re elated! My dad seemed excited, but less than us. We found out later that day that he and my mom had a trip planned to Vegas the weekend of the tournament (non-refundable of course). So me and my brother got to go on the trip ourselves. It was the greatest week for two teenagers. The trip also included tickets to the brand new California Adventure theme park, which was a blast! But I will never forget being at my first conference tournament, especially the Aggies winning it all.

Thanks for bringing back that memory.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post:
sam tingey

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 15th, 2019, 12:22 pm

VCU list today, not sure what the impact will be, but maybe things will get shaken up.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:22 pm
VCU list today, not sure what the impact will be, but maybe things will get shaken up.

I would say it’s good in that we may jump them in seeding, but bad because they potentially pop the bubble for another team. I’d like to think we’re solidly in enough that it would hurt another team, not us, but you never know.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

Locked Previous topicNext topic