Chat Negativism

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Chat Negativism

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I will admit to being borderline psychotic in chat. Whoever doles out sentences for that can sentence me as seen fit. :)

In my defense, I celebrate the good in chat as much as I overreact and (I can't express myself without swearing) about the bad.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 15th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Agreed, stopped going to chat a while ago because of all the complaining. Maybe those people who do it should take a break, if all you can do is complain while watching a 26-6 team then it might be time to take a breather from the chat and making everyone else miserable along with you

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 15th, 2019, 1:17 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm
Chat does have an ignore feature and it works pretty well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Guilty of not even trying it, maybe next year ha

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I have never visited the chat room, and don’t expect to ever. I can’t think of a reason to.
Can anyone give me one?

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 15th, 2019, 1:35 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:10 am
NVAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:36 am
When you look back, knowing the outcome, it can be annoying.
Oh, it can be annoying in the moment -- not just with 20/20 hindsight. I had to call out a few fans. It's the difference between optimism and pessimism. While I am definitely a realist about the Aggies' prospects after years of cheering for teams that can never quite get over the hump, I still approach individual games with hope and optimism. We all encounter optimists and pessimists in our lives. I prefer optimists.
I agree there are plenty of negative comments in chat, possibly more so because emotions are so high with our 1st trip to the dance (in years) potentially on the line. A little frustrating with the high number of turnovers last night but an exciting game.

I made a sarcastic comment in chat late in the 2nd half when Brito had one bad play after doing a bunch of things well. I posted something about pulling him. Then I immediately posted I was just kidding and he had been great in the 2nd half. I then received an “FO Paco” comment from a really negative chatter... ;)

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I was at the game and hence not on chat but I think part of the reason for the (reported) negativism from last night was the nature of the situation we were in. We had everything to lose and nothing to gain. No one was going to give us any credit for beating New Mexico and they would consider it a really bad loss if we didn't win. This was the game that could conceivably keep us out of the NCAA tourney. And we struggled to even get the ball past half court. So of course emotions ran high.

I did not enjoy that game at all. I suffered through it. When Sam picked up his fourth foul (with about 7 minutes left, down 4 or so?) I started to think that we would lose the game. It was brutal. And then what happened? Our team rallied, kept their composure and found a way to win down the stretch as has been their trademark all season. I freaking love this team. But I get why people were pretty low for a while there.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2019, 1:56 pm

blueaggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:32 am
I assume many of the chatters were at the game because there were so many Aggie fans at the game that did nothing but sit. They must have been on their phones because they were not cheering at all. It was as if they were at the opera. I'm sure glad we have student that always seem to do a great job. Come on Aggie fans get into the game. Get a little exercise and stand up and cheer! Make a little noise! We have a great chance tonight to have the home court advantage. If you were not here last night make the drive today. Go Aggies! :utah: :state: :scotsman: :scotsman:
LOL! This is so true. I'm not sure what it is about an Aggie fan's general lack of ability to cheer but we were commenting on how strange this phenomenon is after getting to witness each fan base during the tourney. If one watches SDSU or UNM or WYO fans, they are loud and boisterous the entire time and it is being lead by adults, not students. For some reason our adult fan base is very reserved unless something super exciting happens in the game. Maybe it is a lack of adult beverages being consumed that would give our fans the courage to act a little crazy for once?

As for what was said in chat, I wasn't there yesterday but I would say it was probably pretty reflective of the same things being said in the arena by Aggie fans too. It was a dismal performance but I agree that if we're there in person then we need to be more vocal and positive to help our team out when they are struggling.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 15th, 2019, 2:01 pm

I really enjoy chat. I am usually watching games alone and it's fun to experience the highs and lows of a game with others. Totally cool to let your frustrations out about certain plays or players but some are so negative and hysterical if we aren't up by 20 it can ruin the experience. I guess I need to learn to use the ignore button.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
ChicAggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 15th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:56 pm
blueaggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:32 am
I assume many of the chatters were at the game because there were so many Aggie fans at the game that did nothing but sit. They must have been on their phones because they were not cheering at all. It was as if they were at the opera. I'm sure glad we have student that always seem to do a great job. Come on Aggie fans get into the game. Get a little exercise and stand up and cheer! Make a little noise! We have a great chance tonight to have the home court advantage. If you were not here last night make the drive today. Go Aggies! :utah: :state: :scotsman: :scotsman:
LOL! This is so true. I'm not sure what it is about an Aggie fan's general lack of ability to cheer but we were commenting on how strange this phenomenon is after getting to witness each fan base during the tourney. If one watches SDSU or UNM or WYO fans, they are loud and boisterous the entire time and it is being lead by adults, not students. For some reason our adult fan base is very reserved unless something super exciting happens in the game. Maybe it is a lack of adult beverages being consumed that would give our fans the courage to act a little crazy for once?

As for what was said in chat, I wasn't there yesterday but I would say it was probably pretty reflective of the same things being said in the arena by Aggie fans too. It was a dismal performance but I agree that if we're there in person then we need to be more vocal and positive to help our team out when they are struggling.
I went to a USU @ UNLV basketball game last year. I was floored at how active the general fan base was. Our blue hair attendees are generally reserved and mad if you stand up and cheer. I'm also blown away at how things get blown out of proportion. "You let them get a first down? What the hell guys! We are going to lose!" It escalates quickly. I don't know what can be done to change this or if this is normal, but it makes our environments less fun and daunting for our opponents.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2019, 2:43 pm

The ignore button makes chat tolerable for me. The nicest thing is that chat remembers who you have ignored, so it "sticks" until you clear all your cache out. Eliminating one (or maybe two) people completely changes the experience. I recommend it.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:43 pm
The ignore button makes chat tolerable for me. The nicest thing is that chat remembers who you have ignored, so it "sticks" until you clear all your cache out. Eliminating one (or maybe two) people completely changes the experience. I recommend it.
So that’s why you weren’t responding to me?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2019, 4:06 pm

treesap32 wrote:
So come on back @NVAggie, just set me on ignore and enjoy chat once again!

TheSauerkrautKid
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm

My favorite part of a big USU win is seeing how quickly USUFans turns it into a bad thing.

TheSauerkrautKid
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 15th, 2019, 4:18 pm

I will honestly take negative comments on chat over having to wait for the whole "I believe that will win" schtick on the banner to click stream links.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 15th, 2019, 4:34 pm

kofdog wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:51 am
Ahbye wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:46 am
Amok.
Siri thanks you for correcting her....such an ironic post in a negativism thread, makes me so excited that I've come back
I know, right!? I've got to do what I can to prevent the machines from taking over, and as you said, the negativism thread was the perfect place. As the old saying goes: two burrs, one stone.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 15th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Ahbye wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:34 pm
kofdog wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:51 am
Ahbye wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:46 am
Amok.
Siri thanks you for correcting her....such an ironic post in a negativism thread, makes me so excited that I've come back
I know, right!? I've got to do what I can to prevent the machines from taking over, and as you said, the negativism thread was the perfect place. As the old saying goes: two burrs, one stone.
Fair enough :thanks:
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post:
Ahbye

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 15th, 2019, 5:07 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:I will honestly take negative comments on chat over having to wait for the whole "I believe that will win" schtick on the banner to click stream links.
The link is the same 99% of the time.

EDIT: Clicking the banner will now close it early but by doing so you are also acknowledging that you don't believe.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
freakboy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:06 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Be honest @Aglicious, you have me on ignore.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm

This thread is so meta. Negativity about the negativity of others.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Can I construe your comment as negative?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2019, 6:44 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:02 pm
Aglicious wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:06 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Be honest @Aglicious, you have me on ignore.
Never....I miss our late night talks. You can even have the nickname Agilicious.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Since you made the change I can no longer change my name.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2019, 6:50 pm

freakboy wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Can I construe your comment as negative?
Sure! You do you!

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 15th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I know two wrongs don’t make a right. But don’t two negatives make a positive? I know this will probably be construed as negative, but I truly regret clicking on this thread. And I even more deeply regret the time I just wasted typing this post....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
jpswensen

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 15th, 2019, 7:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
i'm so meta even this acronym

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 15th, 2019, 11:37 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 7:31 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
i'm so meta even this acronym
Well played.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 16th, 2019, 12:19 am

Pacobag wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:35 pm
I then received an “FO Paco” comment from a really negative chatter... ;)
Speaking of things said in jest . . . .

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic