Same commentators tomorrow?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ronburgandee
Has thanked: 0

Same commentators tomorrow?

Post by ronburgandee » March 14th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Please tell me we will have different commentators tomorrow. Anyone know?

blueaggie

Re: Same commentators tomorrow?

Post by blueaggie » March 14th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I was at the game so I didn't watch the game and hear the announcers. We're they homers for unm?
Last edited by blueaggie on March 14th, 2019, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Seriously. I didn’t get to watch the second half because I had a basketball game, but man they were so pro lobo in the first half it was sickening.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 14th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Unbelievable homers

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ususports

Post by ususports » March 14th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Could be worse. If we were in the conference of losers (Pac-12), we could have Bill Walton calling our game. That guy is annoying and awful!
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
SweepDance

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 14th, 2019, 11:27 pm

I got so sick of them going on and on in the first half about how Smith needed to sit Sam when he picked up his second foul. Like they know Sam better than Smith does or something. Then they just went on and on about how right they were after Sam picked up his third foul late in the first half, even though it came like ten minutes later in the game.
These users thanked the author Blue42 for the post:
Staggerwing3

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 14th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Speaking of the pac 12 Utah and Oregon look terrible. They would have a tough time beating San Jose. The announcers are even worse!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Blue42 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:27 pm
I got so sick of them going on and on in the first half about how Smith needed to sit Sam when he picked up his second foul. Like they know Sam better than Smith does or something. Then they just went on and on about how right they were after Sam picked up his third foul late in the first half, even though it came like ten minutes later in the game.
Yeah that bugged me too. His solution at the 8 minute mark was to sit Sam for 3 min to keep him out of foul trouble. Then acted like he was right when Sam got the foul with 54 seconds to go, but he would’ve gotten that foul anyway if he’d say those 3 minutes.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 14th, 2019, 11:32 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:30 pm
Blue42 wrote:
Yeah that bugged me too. His solution at the 8 minute mark was to sit Sam for 3 min to keep him out of foul trouble. Then acted like he was right when Sam got the foul with 54 seconds to go, but he would’ve gotten that foul anyway if he’d say those 3 minutes.
Yeah, at that point he was saying if Smith had done it right, he would’ve pulled Sam with 4 minutes left, cause there was no reason for him to be playing in the last 4 minutes of the half.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 14th, 2019, 11:32 pm

We don't win if we don't keep Sam in. He did sit a few minutes in the 2nd half, but you need your best player on the floor. Sam is generally really smart with his fouls, but his 3rd one he should have just let the guy get the rebound.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Blue42 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:32 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Blue42 wrote:
Yeah, at that point he was saying if Smith had done it right, he would’ve pulled Sam with 4 minutes left, cause there was no reason for him to be playing in the last 4 minutes of the half.
Yeah he changed his answer to be right. His advice was to sit everybody with 2 fouls. Maybe he wanted to see Ainge in the game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 14th, 2019, 11:37 pm

Problem was is we had like 4 people with 2 fouls. Who should we play Knight, Ainge and Fakira. Hell no.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 14th, 2019, 11:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:34 pm
Blue42 wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:32 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Blue42 wrote:
Yeah he changed his answer to be right. His advice was to sit everybody with 2 fouls. Maybe he wanted to see Ainge in the game.
I loved Smith’s response at halftime when they asked him about it. First, he talked about how he trusts Sam. Then, he basically said what do you want me to do? When every gets two fouls, eventually you just have to ride it out!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 14th, 2019, 11:47 pm

There was a piece on this earlier in which Coach K was interviewed and this is one of the things he does different than a lot of coaches. First, he doesn't sit his stars with 2 early fouls. His reasoning is if you do that, you are just putting a target on his back for the other team to go at them early.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » March 15th, 2019, 2:57 am

I hope they are not the same. They were brutal. They couldn't figure out the back court call or the Queta trip, even though the video was obvious. I was about to send hate Text's to the former coach. I love it when fired coaches get on a broadcast, and do very little but ridicule the coaches and refs. How about explaining the potential advantages of two choices? How is he going to tell a coach how to coach his team when he does not know the team, or the coach that well for that matter?

Unreal. Where is Joe Cravens? I know, ATT.
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post:
ChicAggie

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 15th, 2019, 6:25 am

They did a lot of the standard stuff that announcers always do on things like the 2 fouls commentary. I actually had no problem with them. Had a lot of nice things to say about the Lobos but also had a lot of praise for how the Aggies overcame a tough shooting night and a lot of turnovers to win. I thought it was plenty balanced.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 15th, 2019, 7:31 am

gomretat wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:25 am
They did a lot of the standard stuff that announcers always do on things like the 2 fouls commentary. I actually had no problem with them. Had a lot of nice things to say about the Lobos but also had a lot of praise for how the Aggies overcame a tough shooting night and a lot of turnovers to win. I thought it was plenty balanced.
The issue wasn’t the homer ness or standard commentary it was that one guy that was a coach kept acting like he was better and knew more than Smith. Just kind of an arrogant attitude that drove my evening I was watching it with crazy. If your so good man why aren’t you coaching now?

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 15th, 2019, 7:37 am

The announcers recognized that the ten second call was wrong, but the broadcast cut right to commercial right as the definitive angle was shown. They did completely miss the Queta trip, though, which was pretty infuriating.

They also called Brown the only senior on the team.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 7:38 am

Just come to Vegas. Then you don't have to listen to the TV guys.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
SweepDancesneedStaggerwing3

Psych

Post by Psych » March 15th, 2019, 7:57 am

Their commentary on the Queta trip was almost funny it was so bad. Especially as they showed the angle of his leg getting trapped 2-3 times in a row.

That being said I loved their commentary about the Tech foul given to UNM's coach. That was truly a turning point in the game. The possession on that play could have been overturned pretty easily if handled differently.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 15th, 2019, 8:36 am

Steve Lappas isn’t coaching because all he did as a coach was wipe the butts and do the laundry of star players. He actually was tasked with spoon feeding Tim Thomas “airplane style” at Nova.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

AggiePride

Post by AggiePride » March 15th, 2019, 9:44 am

I felt like I was listening to UNM's broadcast team for most of that game. I loved when Sam hit the open 3 while Lappas was saying "oh no, not him".
These users thanked the author AggiePride for the post:
Staggerwing3

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

AggiePride wrote:I felt like I was listening to UNM's broadcast team for most of that game. I loved when Sam hit the open 3 while Lappas was saying "oh no, not him".
Right? How could you not hear the homerness going on. Another example is when for a split second they were gonna review the back court call and lappas about had a stroke when saying “that’s not a reviewable play” over and over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

Olderthandirt wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:57 am
I hope they are not the same. They were brutal. They couldn't figure out the back court call or the Queta trip, even though the video was obvious. I was about to send hate Text's to the former coach. I love it when fired coaches get on a broadcast, and do very little but ridicule the coaches and refs. How about explaining the potential advantages of two choices? How is he going to tell a coach how to coach his team when he does not know the team, or the coach that well for that matter?

Unreal. Where is Joe Cravens? I know, ATT.
I endorse all of these observations.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 15th, 2019, 11:30 am

The $hitty thing is we'll likely get the same two dudes tonight and they'll be the biggest Fresno State fans ever!

The 100% obvious trip of Queta and the fact that they both kept going on and on about it being a bad call. A kid can't flop, not have it called and then just lay there underneath the player that he just flopped on. It's a trip either way, regardless if the kid hadn't scissored his legs closed around Queta's ankle. How in the hell could anyone think it's a travel when there is someone just laying there on the ground under everyones feet because he intentionally fell over? Baffling.

Another play that really bugged me was when one of our players (I forget which, I'm sorry!) took the ball to the basket and a New Mexico player was damn near under the hoop and took out our player. The moment the whistle blew one of the announcers blurted out "Oh! that's a charge!" Are you kiddling?? The other announcer then had to explain to the other guy why it wasn't a charge. How are you in the business of announcing major college basketball games and you don't know what the half circle in the lane underneath the hoop is used for?? Baffling.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 12:15 pm

That was on a drive by Merrill I believe. Definitely a no call. I'm sure they are just biased towards the lower seeded teams. They can have that. I will take the win. Just come to Vegas and watch it live. Skip the announcers.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I still cant believe they called a foul on that NM player after he hit our guy in the face!! :crazy: The announcers were baffled as well, the refs missed calls both ways, i can handle that, i cant handle that better than when they seem to pick on us

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 15th, 2019, 1:08 pm

by the way guys, the announcers can do nothing to affect the outcome of the game. Who cares what biases they have? I always watch sports with the sound off anyway. I can't stand talking while I'm watching on TV.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
AggieHead

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » March 15th, 2019, 2:06 pm

What about the play towards the end of the game when Bean got hammered in what looked like it could have been a flagrant foul. The refs were by the replay monitor and one of the announcers kept repeating loudly that it should not be a flagrant. I don't know where the announcers are in respect to the replay monitor, but I wondered if they were trying to influence the refs decision? Just wondered.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 3:06 pm

It was not a flagrant foul.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 15th, 2019, 4:22 pm

AggiePride wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 9:44 am
I felt like I was listening to UNM's broadcast team for most of that game. I loved when Sam hit the open 3 while Lappas was saying "oh no, not him".
Pretty sure that call was tongue in cheek. I personally loved it. Didnt mind the commentary at all.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » March 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I didn't realize how bad they were until I started reading this thread. :shock:

But I'm generally slow.

I must have missed the Queta leg thing and will go try to find it.

They did get some things right. The call on UNM that crowd booed big time where UNM guy practically humped USU guy's leg and ref did the parallel hand movement thingy. The commentator said it's a new rule I think?

superheroboy

Post by superheroboy » March 15th, 2019, 4:47 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm
They did get some things right. The call on UNM that crowd booed big time where UNM guy practically humped USU guy's leg and ref did the parallel hand movement thingy. The commentator said it's a new rule I think?
It's called the "cylinder rule" and has been in place since 2016.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... /91631966/

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 5:00 pm

They could have called it a couple of times.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm

It must be a Utah state inferiority complex. Everyone is out to get us. Make yourself happier and take off the blue goggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic