Anyone else doubt an at-large bid after tonight?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Anyone else doubt an at-large bid after tonight?

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 15th, 2019, 11:08 pm

This game should end all doubt.

GeoAg

Re: Anyone else doubt an at-large bid after tonight?

Post by GeoAg » March 15th, 2019, 11:17 pm

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2019, 11:33 pm

***This conversation (and thread) needs to end here. We're in.***

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 15th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Win or lose tomorrow could the Aggies get a better seed than Nevada?

I know they were ranked through the season, but they had some losses down the stretch, tied with our Aggies for the regular season champions, and lost in the MWC semis.

Any way we could leapfrog them?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2019, 11:35 pm

I want the auto, screw the at large

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 11:39 pm

I don’t doubt. I didn’t doubt before tonight though.

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » March 16th, 2019, 12:09 am

They absolutely should be in, but the mountain west sending 3 teams is a little iffy. I wouldn't put it past them to leave USU out, but obviously I believe that this team will win out anyway.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 16th, 2019, 12:12 am

I will doubt it until we either win tomorrow or our name appears on screen Sunday. I have a hard time believing the MWC would get 3 teams in. Not saying we wouldn’t deserve it, I just don’t trust the committee to make fair decisions.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 16th, 2019, 12:16 am

Why would they leave out a team that with a loss would be 17-4 when the next best team is 16-4 and who didnt make the final? If anything Reno should be left out before us.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 16th, 2019, 12:26 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 12:16 am
Why would they leave out a team that with a loss would be 17-4 when the next best team is 16-4 and who didnt make the final? If anything Reno should be left out before us.
Sadly Reno’s run last year will give them the benefit of the doubt over us this year

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 16th, 2019, 12:27 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 12:16 am
Because OOC play matters too, and Nevada went undefeated while we lost to BYU. Not saying we don’t deserve to be in, just saying there’s more to the resumes than you posted about.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 16th, 2019, 12:34 am

I don’t, but Joey Brackets wasn’t impressed with our win tonight as he bumped up from the 9 to the 10 line in his latest bracket.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2019, 12:41 am

We have 9 straight wins and for the most part are dominating our competition in the process. There can't be a hotter team in the country right now. If you are a "bracketologist" and you move us backward, you are a dumba$$.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 16th, 2019, 1:30 am

i'm 90% sure if USU doesn't beat SDSU tomorrow, they should get a first four invite. If not the #1 seed in the NIT

sorry guys but i would be sweating selection sunday if USU doesn't win tomorrow. They aren't a guarantee and you know it. btw, USU had the easiest route to the MWC title game, if they had beaten Nevada in the semis, then at this point there shouldn't be a QUESTION USU will get an at-large bid.

I seriously doubt the selection committee will send 3 MWC teams(if SDSU wins tomorrow) to the dance.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2019, 1:33 am

SDSU wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:30 am
i'm 90% sure if USU doesn't beat SDSU tomorrow, they should get a first four invite. If not the #1 seed in the NIT

sorry guys but i would be sweating selection sunday if USU doesn't win tomorrow. They aren't a guarantee and you know it. btw, USU had the easiest route to the MWC title game, if they had beaten Nevada in the semis, then at this point there shouldn't be a QUESTION USU will get an at-large bid.

I seriously doubt the selection committee will send 3 MWC teams(if SDSU wins tomorrow) to the dance.
Nice try troll. I’m mad Nevada lost to you sorry bunch of sucks because I wanted a rematch. If we don’t get in it’s because of suffering a Quadrant 3 loss to an underachieving team in the conference title that can’t be bothered to show up in the OOC. Newsflash — losing to you guys at Viejas is considered our only bad loss this season.

You have every recruiting advantage. Step up, suck dogs.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 16th, 2019, 1:45 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:33 am
SDSU wrote:

Nice try troll. I’m mad Nevada lost to you sorry bunch of sucks because I wanted a rematch. If we don’t get in it’s because of suffering a Quadrant 3 loss to an underachieving team in the conference title that can’t be bothered to show up in the OOC. Newsflash — losing to you guys at Viejas is considered our only bad loss this season.

just saying. This topic doesn't make any sense. 2016, SDSU was RPI top 30, MWC regular season champs, and a MWC tournament finals exit and they didn't get in the NCAAs. Same with 2018 #22 st mary's. Sorry but if USU doesn't beat SDSU tomorrow, them getting in the big dance is pretty much a coin flip at this point. A HOME win against ranked Nevada isn't exactly valued compared to a neutral or road signature win.

if you Lunardi has you guys on the 10 seed as an at-large, that means USU is in the bubble.

in my opinion, SDSU should repeat as MWC tournament champions. We beat the best team in the MWC handily (nevada). Beating Utah State at a neutral court shouldn't be as hard as beating nevada.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2019, 1:49 am

SDSU wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:45 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
SDSU wrote:

just saying. This topic doesn't make any sense. 2016, SDSU was RPI top 30, MWC regular season champs, and a MWC tournament finals exit and they didn't get in the NCAAs. Same with 2018 #22 st mary's. Sorry but if USU doesn't beat SDSU tomorrow, them getting in the big dance is pretty much a coin flip at this point. A HOME win against ranked Nevada isn't exactly valued compared to a neutral or road signature win.

if you Lunardi has you guys on the 10 seed as an at-large, that means USU is in the bubble.

in my opinion, SDSU should repeat as MWC tournament champions. We beat the best team in the MWC handily (nevada). Beating Utah State at a neutral court shouldn't be as hard as beating nevada.
Could it perhaps be that — as per usual — SDSU shat the bed in the OOC portion of the season in 2016 causing them to miss the tournament?

Spoiler alert — a quick google search reveals you lost to the two quality opponents you played in 2016 OOC, and also had some headscratching losses.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 16th, 2019, 2:06 am

i was just using those as a point of reference. There are teams of the past that have better resumes, rankings, RPIs, etc than Utah State and didn't get an at large. Saint Mary's and 2016 SDSU team are similar examples. Yes the same saint mary's team that BEAT Gonzaga @ spokane and was ranked top 25 in the country did NOT get an at large

same thing with the 2014 Colorado st Rams, #27 RPI and they got the #1 seed in the NIT

History doesn't exactly favor non power conference for at large especially in the MWC.

also, didn't a ranked Utah State team back in the 2000s was snubbed? ouch

i hate to break it to you guys but USU HAS to win tomorrow. Otherwise it's a coinflip to get in the dance. Their OOC resume is too weak, too many bad Q3 losses, and only 1 quality HOME win(which doesn't mitigate those bad losses). A good overall record doesn't cut it as non power 5 teams

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2019, 2:12 am

SDSU wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 2:06 am
i was just using those as a point of reference. There are teams of the past that have better resumes, rankings, RPIs, etc than Utah State and didn't get an at large. Saint Mary's and 2016 SDSU team are similar examples. Yes the same saint mary's team that BEAT Gonzaga @ spokane and was ranked top 25 in the country did NOT get an at large

same thing with the 2014 Colorado st Rams, #27 RPI and they got the #1 seed in the NIT

History doesn't exactly favor non power conference for at large especially in the MWC.

i hate to break it to you guys but USU HAS to win tomorrow. Otherwise it's a coinflip to get in the dance. Their OOC resume is too weak, too many bad Q3 losses, and only 1 quality HOME win(which doesn't mitigate those bad losses). A good overall record doesn't cut it as non power 5 teams
I don’t think you got a single thing correct in that last paragraph, unless ZERO Q3 losses is too many. We had one Q3 loss for awhile.... I bet you can remind me who that was to...

https://bracketresearch.com/team-quadra ... s-tracker/

ChiCityAggie

Post by ChiCityAggie » March 16th, 2019, 2:29 am

SDSU wrote:

No doubt we get an at-large bid after tonight. SDSU HAS to win tomorrow to get in. Good luck. :thumbsup:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:17 am

We know as much as anyone about getting snubbed. It should be a fun game and I hope we win.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 16th, 2019, 7:18 am

SDSU wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:45 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
SDSU wrote:

That same ESPN site that projects USU being a 10th seed has this to say on bubble watch:

"The Aggies are in all probability playing to improve their seed at this point, and beating a very good Fresno State team 85-60 certainly helps that along. USU is set to meet San Diego State in the Mountain West title game after the Aztecs made short work of Nevada. With Craig Smith's team being projected as taking a spot on the No. 9 or 10 line, it's now a foregone conclusion that this program will be making its first trip to the NCAA tournament since 2011. The only question now is whether it will be an automatic or at-large bid. (Updated: March 15)"

Foregone conclusion. 90% chance they won't get in if they lose? What are you smoking? Sure you got snubbed a few years ago. RPI was a terrible system. Net rankings are a much better metric for the committee members to measure teams. That's why they created it, and that's why you'll hear our name being called tomorrow irregardless of the result tonight.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:22 am

Let a be honest, we don’t know how they will use the NET ranking. It is new and unverified at this point.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
SDSU wrote:

I don’t think you got a single thing correct in that last paragraph, unless ZERO Q3 losses is too many. We had one Q3 loss for awhile.... I bet you can remind me who that was to...

https://bracketresearch.com/team-quadra ... s-tracker/
Fresno is Q3 now after what we did to them. But yes it was sdsu for a while, our worst loss of the season heading into this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:29 am

SDSU wrote:i was just using those as a point of reference. There are teams of the past that have better resumes, rankings, RPIs, etc than Utah State and didn't get an at large. Saint Mary's and 2016 SDSU team are similar examples. Yes the same saint mary's team that BEAT Gonzaga @ spokane and was ranked top 25 in the country did NOT get an at large

110 out of 110 bracket prognosticators disagree with your expertly informed opinion. Our OOC SOS is the 19th hardest. It included 3 games vs Q1. We won 2 of the 3.

SDSU was 105 in SOS ooc if you're curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 16th, 2019, 7:32 am

SDSU wrote:USU had the easiest route to the MWC title game, if they had beaten Nevada in the semis, then at this point there shouldn't be a QUESTION USU will get an at-large bid.
You do understand how tournament seeding works, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
AgMac

AgMac

Post by AgMac » March 16th, 2019, 7:43 am

Zaggie07 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 7:32 am
SDSU wrote:USU had the easiest route to the MWC title game, if they had beaten Nevada in the semis, then at this point there shouldn't be a QUESTION USU will get an at-large bid.
You do understand how tournament seeding works, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hahaha! :golfclap:

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » March 16th, 2019, 8:00 am

I would add that while SDSU got a good win yesterday it certainly wasn’t anything to beat your chest about. Nevada’s biggest weakness is their lack of depth and they were missing their best player (and former MWC POY.) I know how much we all love Jordan Caroline around here, but you can’t deny the impact he has on the court or the or the chasm in talent between him and where his minutes went in his absence.

Locked Previous topicNext topic