What seed are we getting?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot

Re: What seed are we getting?

Post by Bank Shot » March 17th, 2019, 9:05 am

Post Selection Show is going to be interesting. I know Lunardi gets it real close as far as teams selected, but his seedings aren't real accurate, but let's just assume he's close this time and use his latest as an example.

Question: How do you give Washington with a Net rating of 45, Seton Hall with a Net of 57, and Minnesota a Net of 61 a better seed than Utah St with a Net of 29?

Answer: Oh....uh....errr...Net is just one of the many tools that we use. Even though we spent tons of money developing it, and hyped it as a new and much more fair way of evaluating we still haven't committed ourselves to putting all that much weight to it. It's just one of the many tools that we use and there are so many other factors to consider, like regions, proximity to home, and conferences, etc.

Translation: The NCAA has always put the almighty $$$ first and foremost and we know where our bread is buttered. Putting a mid major above a P5 would cause such an uproar behind closed doors that we just can't look our "good old boys" network in the eye if we cede any relevance to the Little Sisters of the Poor. Giving our Supreme Powers the best opportunity to advance and add money to their coffers is really what it's all about. Our main objective or wish is that upsets occur in Mid Major tournaments so that the auto bid is close to a date in Dayton, and that their regular season champs choke so we can ignore them or at least seed them as low as possible without a Congressional investigation.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 17th, 2019, 9:23 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:05 am
Post Selection Show is going to be interesting. I know Lunardi gets it real close as far as teams selected, but his seedings aren't real accurate, but let's just assume he's close this time and use his latest as an example.

Question: How do you give Washington with a Net rating of 45, Seton Hall with a Net of 57, and Minnesota a Net of 61 a better seed than Utah St with a Net of 29?

Answer: Oh....uh....errr...Net is just one of the many tools that we use. Even though we spent tons of money developing it, and hyped it as a new and much more fair way of evaluating we still haven't committed ourselves to putting all that much weight to it. It's just one of the many tools that we use and there are so many other factors to consider, like regions, proximity to home, and conferences, etc.

Translation: The NCAA has always put the almighty $$$ first and foremost and we know where our bread is buttered. Putting a mid major above a P5 would cause such an uproar behind closed doors that we just can't look our "good old boys" network in the eye if we cede any relevance to the Little Sisters of the Poor. Giving our Supreme Powers the best opportunity to advance and add money to their coffers is really what it's all about. Our main objective or wish is that upsets occur in Mid Major tournaments so that the auto bid is close to a date in Dayton, and that their regular season champs choke so we can ignore them or at least seed them as low as possible without a Congressional investigation.
Exactly. As an Aggie fan I’ve usually walked away from selection show scratching my head at seeding we get and I’m guessing today will be no different. Any metric they use will always favor power conference teams (SOS, quad 1/2). Take NC State for example they did not beat any of the top 7 teams in ACC yet it was said of us before Nevada we need to beat the top team in our league even though our metrics were strong. Imagine us or any mid major feasting on bottom half conference mates and still having a shot.

Hartwell seemed optimistic on post game saying we could even get a 6 seed. He hasn’t experienced selection show as an Aggie, if we get a 10 I’d love to be fly on the wall by Hartwell

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » March 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

I think we'll get a 7 seed, which will give us a favorable 1st rd match up and possibly a good 2nd rd depending on the team.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 17th, 2019, 9:32 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:29 am
I think we'll get a 7 seed, which will give us a favorable 1st rd match up and possibly a good 2nd rd depending on the team.
I like your optimism and hope your right but that seems higher then brackets from the sports sites. Palm does have us as an 8 so not to far from that.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 17th, 2019, 9:42 am

I just want to play Wofford. We win that game. Probably by double digits.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » March 17th, 2019, 9:44 am

A 12 seed in the Crapchester regional

dogie

Post by dogie » March 17th, 2019, 9:53 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm
We'll get pushed down s line or two because of "strength of schedule." That is such a crock. The Net ratings take that into account.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That was my biggest complaint about how the RPI used to be viewed. The pundits would say that USU’s good RPI should be discounted because the SOS wasn’t so good. The RPI was essentially a restatement of the strength of schedule, adjusted somewhat by the teams’ win-loss record.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 17th, 2019, 10:09 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:We'll get pushed down s line or two because of "strength of schedule." That is such a crock. The Net ratings take that into account.

Our sos isn't bad actually. It's 94. 19th out of conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know, but the fact that we don't play in a major conference will be used against us. It is essentially a strength of schedule argument, even though SOS has been taken into account already in the metrics. Essentially they double dip on the scheduling argument.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 17th, 2019, 10:15 am

If we get hosed on seeding today like 2011 with much higher net rankings over power conference teams then they'll say net rankings are just one of the tools. So what are the other tools? Biasness. What committee members should do is choose at-large teams and seedings through blind resumes. Only then can biasness be out of the equation. One of the big travesties in society today are people not willing to admit that they have bias.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post (total 2):
SpectrumMagicaggies22

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 17th, 2019, 10:39 am

I don't care what seed we get, but I would rather avoid an 8/9 game. If almost rather play Washington or Seton Hall that are overrated versus being a 7 seed playing an underseeded mid major team.

I'll bet we play a mid major team. The committee has consistently paired dangerous mid majors against other mid major teams to avoid embarrassing upsets of teams that don't belong. I see you Oklahoma.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 17th, 2019, 10:43 am

dyedblue wrote:I don't care what seed we get, but I would rather avoid an 8/9 game. If almost rather play Washington or Seton Hall that are overrated versus being a 7 seed playing an underseeded mid major team.

I'll bet we play a mid major team. The committee has consistently paired dangerous mid majors against other mid major teams to avoid embarrassing upsets of teams that don't belong. I see you Oklahoma.

How could you not care what seed we get?

Obviously the lower the seed, the easier it will be to win a couple games.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 17th, 2019, 10:48 am

Did you read what I posted?

If we are an underseeded 10 playing an overseeded 7 that is to our advantage.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 17th, 2019, 11:18 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm
I want to be a 7 or 10 and play in Des Moines. Not just because the arena is 15 min from my house. :)
if this happens - well, DM no matter the seed - then we will have to arrange a meeting!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2019, 11:40 am

I bet we’re a 9 seed. I think we’ll be slotted in the rankings of 32-35.

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » March 17th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I am hoping for a 10 seed with a good possible matchup in 2nd game. IMO matchups are more important than seeding

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I would prefer an 11 seed over a 7, 8, 9, 10 seed because there's a much better chance of a favorable match up in the second round.

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » March 17th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I want a 10 or 11 for the first and second round opportunities.
semi-related...
I was surprised/pleased a bit at the integrity the MW showed yesterday. With a chance to get three teams in and another million bucks or so, the refs did not call the game in SDSUs favor. I think that sort of thing happens in some of the bigger leagues late in conference play and in their tourneys. I would love some bored stats guru to analyze the P5 outcomes related to this cynical bias of mine some day.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » March 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I hope we get a seeding as high as our rankings say we deserve but past history tells me to believe otherwise. I'm guessing a 10 or 11 seed

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 17th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I will be shocked if we get a single digit seed even though we deserve a 7 or 8. I am expecting 10 or 11 based on past experiences. If we are higher than 8 or lower than 11 I would be floored.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 17th, 2019, 3:05 pm

I don't see how we don't get an 8 or 9. We fit the profile.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 17th, 2019, 3:09 pm

We don't want an 8 or a 9 seed

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I agree but I think 7 is too high and 10 is too low. 8, 9s are usually for non-bubble teams that have a good record.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Hot take, we would have won more games if Spencer Nelson was our assistant coach. ; - )

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

7 seed

dogie

Post by dogie » March 17th, 2019, 3:49 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm
Hot take, we would have won more games if Spencer Nelson was our assistant coach. ; - )
Now you’re gone and done it!

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 17th, 2019, 4:09 pm

8 seed vs Washington or 7 seed vs Oregon in the west region. Calling it

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 17th, 2019, 4:23 pm

BigRedAggie wrote:8 seed vs Washington or 7 seed vs Oregon in the west region. Calling it

I meant the Midwest sorry

dogie

Post by dogie » March 17th, 2019, 5:03 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:23 am
Bank Shot wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:05 am

Exactly. As an Aggie fan I’ve usually walked away from selection show scratching my head at seeding we get and I’m guessing today will be no different. Any metric they use will always favor power conference teams (SOS, quad 1/2). Take NC State for example they did not beat any of the top 7 teams in ACC yet it was said of us before Nevada we need to beat the top team in our league even though our metrics were strong. Imagine us or any mid major feasting on bottom half conference mates and still having a shot.

Hartwell seemed optimistic on post game saying we could even get a 6 seed. He hasn’t experienced selection show as an Aggie, if we get a 10 I’d love to be fly on the wall by Hartwell
Just to circle back on this post, Seton Hall, Minnesota and Washington were all seeded lower than the Aggies. All of the losses to the top of the ACC caught up with NCSU, which didn’t make the tournament.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm

So maybe the new NET rating is a good thing for mids. I was skeptical but real glad I was wrong. The "secret" details fueled my skepticism.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » March 17th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm
So maybe the new NET rating is a good thing for mids. I was skeptical but real glad I was wrong. The "secret" details fueled my skepticism.
the real test would have been if we lost the championship game!! we didn't so it's moot, but still?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 17th, 2019, 8:48 pm

tipitup wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm
the real test would have been if we lost the championship game!! we didn't so it's moot, but still?
Belmont thinks it's good....Furman not so much.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 17th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Just did a quick survey: every one of the seeds better than the 8th seed had better NET ratings than us. So impossible to use the NET to suggest the Ags got screwed. There are seeds better than the 8th who may have that argument, but not the Ags.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic