Kevin Harlan...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

Re: Kevin Harlan...

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 18th, 2019, 11:55 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 11:10 pm
I think we shouldn’t be fat shaming anyone.
I know I shouldn't.

In fact... you all probably know I shouldn't.
I definitely shouldn't, but then again, I am not a college cheerleader either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 18th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I honestly don't think Kevin Harlan is that fat.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
donlarson8

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 18th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Aggie cheerleaders have always been among the most attractive in the country. Might be a little down this year overall, but we've had some elite talent over the years.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Aggie cheerleaders have always been among the most attractive in the country. Might be a little down this year overall, but we've had some elite talent over the years.
We do objectify women with the best of them!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

:)

While I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum for a politically-charged discussion about the role of cheerleaders, whether there is an element of self-objectification based on their choice of provocative/sexualized uniforms and dances, or whether it is appropriate to comment on their level of attractiveness, but there does seem to be some level of assumption of the risk when you put on a tiny skirt and tight clinging/revealing tops and dance around in front of a crowd that creates a different standard than there is for commenting on the attractiveness of the average woman. Just as the Supreme Court established a much higher standard for libel if the target of the speech is a public figure, it seems as there is or should be a different standard of appropriateness regarding comments about the relative attractiveness of cheerleaders.

Cheerleading is the most popular sport for young women in high school. Thousands of girls vie for the "privilege" of being cheerleaders at their school, with huge competition for the few available spots. As a sport, it’s extremely demanding and difficult physically. It takes a tremendous amount of effort, practice, skill, and strength to be any good at it.

But what does a cheerleader actually do? What is their role as an athlete? It’s not to go out and win. Not even to compete. The primary role of a cheerleader is to support the male athletes. Cheerleaders are dressed up in impractical costumes – tiny skirts even in the coldest weather – and to dance, jump, and do all sorts of rythmic gymnastics while men are competing at the real sport. The women’s sport is very much subservient to the men’s, and the women’s sport is highly sexualized.

Even when you have co-ed cheerleading, you’ll find that the men typically wear long pants and a loose sweater, while the girls wear miniskirts and tight clinging, revealing tops.

In the male sports that have cheerleaders, the primary role of the male participants is to show off their strength and skill at the sport. The primary role of the female cheerleader is to show a group of attractive women supporting the talented male athletes and to pump up the crowd through often provocative behavior.

BigRedAggie

Post by BigRedAggie » March 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm

If anyone is wondering, Brian Anderson and Chris Webber will be calling our game Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » March 18th, 2019, 5:42 pm

BigRedAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm
If anyone is wondering, Brian Anderson and Chris Webber will be calling our game Friday.

What will they be wearing?
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
Zaggie07

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 18th, 2019, 9:58 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
BigRedAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm

What will they be wearing?
Hopefully something to fat-shame!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

While I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum for a politically-charged discussion about the role of cheerleaders, whether there is an element of self-objectification based on their choice of provocative/sexualized uniforms and dances, or whether it is appropriate to comment on their level of attractiveness, but there does seem to be some level of assumption of the risk when you put on a tiny skirt and tight clinging/revealing tops and dance around in front of a crowd that creates a different standard than there is for commenting on the attractiveness of the average woman. Just as the Supreme Court established a much higher standard for libel if the target of the speech is a public figure, it seems as there is or should be a different standard of appropriateness regarding comments about the relative attractiveness of cheerleaders.

Cheerleading is the most popular sport for young women in high school. Thousands of girls vie for the "privilege" of being cheerleaders at their school, with huge competition for the few available spots. As a sport, it’s extremely demanding and difficult physically. It takes a tremendous amount of effort, practice, skill, and strength to be any good at it.

But what does a cheerleader actually do? What is their role as an athlete? It’s not to go out and win. Not even to compete. The primary role of a cheerleader is to support the male athletes. Cheerleaders are dressed up in impractical costumes – tiny skirts even in the coldest weather – and to dance, jump, and do all sorts of rythmic gymnastics while men are competing at the real sport. The women’s sport is very much subservient to the men’s, and the women’s sport is highly sexualized.

Even when you have co-ed cheerleading, you’ll find that the men typically wear long pants and a loose sweater, while the girls wear miniskirts and tight clinging, revealing tops.

In the male sports that have cheerleaders, the primary role of the male participants is to show off their strength and skill at the sport. The primary role of the female cheerleader is to show a group of attractive women supporting the talented male athletes and to pump up the crowd through often provocative behavior.
I can't believe in this PC driven world that cheerleading and dance teams are still a thing at sporting events. Like you pointed out, the clothing worn and the dance moves can be provocative and have little to do with the sport and everything to do with entertaining the predominately male spectators at the game. Just doesn't seem like something that's going to be around much longer.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 18th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Kevin Harlan’s best call

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 18th, 2019, 10:31 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I can't believe in this PC driven world that cheerleading and dance teams are still a thing at sporting events. Like you pointed out, the clothing worn and the dance moves can be provocative and have little to do with the sport and everything to do with entertaining the predominately male spectators at the game. Just doesn't seem like something that's going to be around much longer.
I agree, it is shocking that cheerleading has survived scrutiny. I imagine over the next decade it will come under attack. I could take or leave it. It seems like the Spectrum can get loud and crazy without cheerleaders and I am now getting older where I can live without 19 year old girls in short skirts dancing on the court during a basketball game.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 19th, 2019, 5:24 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Agreed. Seems like a relic of the Mad Men era.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 19th, 2019, 5:41 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:31 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I agree, it is shocking that cheerleading has survived scrutiny. I imagine over the next decade it will come under attack. I could take or leave it. It seems like the Spectrum can get loud and crazy without cheerleaders and I am now getting older where I can live without 19 year old girls in short skirts dancing on the court during a basketball game.
They never have been a factor in getting the Spectrum loud and crazy. In fact quite the opposite. The crowd will be loud and crazy and then a dance number or cheer will interrupt that momentum and suck the life out of the building.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 19th, 2019, 11:35 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:41 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

They never have been a factor in getting the Spectrum loud and crazy. In fact quite the opposite. The crowd will be loud and crazy and then a dance number or cheer will interrupt that momentum and suck the life out of the building.
Seriously? You don't have any burnt in memories of the Aggiettes?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 19th, 2019, 11:48 am

El Sapo wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:35 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Seriously? You don't have any burnt in memories of the Aggiettes?
Zetta. Please, Zetta. Zetta Satterwhite. Wow. Knee-high white boots. Legs from Mendon to Fort Bridger. Zetta. Please.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 19th, 2019, 11:53 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Yeah if it went away tomorrow it would not affect anything. It is pretty pointless.

Locked Previous topicNext topic