Washington Breakdown

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
scotlandog

Washington Breakdown

Post by scotlandog » March 17th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Washington Huskies - (PAC12 #1, 26-8)

Regular season champs of the PAC12 but lost to Oregon in the championship game 68-48. Washington was one of the last teams to lose in conference, their first loss coming at Arizona St.(22-10) 75-63 on Feb. 9th. Since then they have gone 8-3 to finish the season with 2 losses to surging Oregon(23-12) and a baffling loss to California(8-23). Their best wins are at Oregon and at Colorado(21-12).

Washington is lead by Jaylen Nowell(6’4” G) with 16.2 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 3.1 APG and by David Crisp(6’0” G) with 12.5 PPG. Washington doesn’t play with a true center, relying on Noah Dickerson(6’8” 245lbs F) and Hameir Wright(6’9” 215lbs F) to anchor the post. While Dickerson scores 12.2 PPG, Wright only scores 2.8 PPG. Washington only really plays a 7 man rotation with 2 6’6” SF/G as subs who average 6-7 PPG.

Utah State should have a really good matchup advantage against Washington. Utah St has been described as a poor mans Washington but the Aggies have Neemias Queta. Queta will be the difference maker in this game. With Queta not threatened by a dominate post player, Queta will assume his familiar roll of shot blocker on defense. With wing defenders not worried about the drive, they can overplay the 3pt shot. This will disrupt Washington’s offense that shoots just above 45% from the field and 33% from 3.

On offense, the Aggies will likely see zone defense from Washington and overplaying the passing lanes. Sam will need to drive and kick for open shots. Queta will need touch the ball and be effective passing to the perimeter as well as scoring inside. This should collapse their zone defense and leave open 3pt shots. I think after the NM game and the SDSU game we will see some pressure and tight pressure on the ball. Should be a tough game but I think it favors the Aggies.

Go Aggies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by scotlandog on March 17th, 2019, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 7):
Bank ShotAggie19MrBiggleAggie_in_IdahoChicAggieaggies22Staggerwing3

SpectrumMagic

Re: Washington Breakdown

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 17th, 2019, 6:28 pm

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm

That was the only game those two played since they have an unbalanced schedule and didn’t meet in the tourney. We played closer than Washington did but this was also at ASU while we played a neutral site. I think we have also improved a lot since that ASU game, Queta was still just emerging and has made improvements each and every game. I feel like we are on the incline while they are on a decline.

Washington also played a 2pt game with Gonzaga, which is a rivalry game between them. Though we did beat St Mary’s handily and they beat Gonzaga so.. jk. Should be close and if we can hit our outside shots and get Queta going, I think we win. We are also a much better FT shooting team than Washington, keep an eye on that if we are in the lead down the stretch.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
Staggerwing3

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 17th, 2019, 8:56 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm
That was the only game those two played since they have an unbalanced schedule and didn’t meet in the tourney. We played closer than Washington did but this was also at ASU while we played a neutral site. I think we have also improved a lot since that ASU game, Queta was still just emerging and has made improvements each and every game. I feel like we are on the incline while they are on a decline.

Washington also played a 2pt game with Gonzaga, which is a rivalry game between them. Though we did beat St Mary’s handily and they beat Gonzaga so.. jk. Should be close and if we can hit our outside shots and get Queta going, I think we win. We are also a much better FT shooting team than Washington, keep an eye on that if we are in the lead down the stretch.

I don't think there is any point in comparing the ASU games. The Aggies ares a completely different team with the emergence of Porter and Bean and the growth of Queta and even Sam.

talby12

Post by talby12 » March 17th, 2019, 9:45 pm

I think Bean and Brito are going to be huge against Washington. Both had great games in the conference tournament and I see them tearing up Washingtons 2-3 zone. Bean, as we know, is a huge hustler and will be great at finding the gaps in the zone and making plays. I feel like Brito (and Miller) is going to have a lot of good looks from deep that hopefully he connects on.
These users thanked the author talby12 for the post:
Staggerwing3

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 18th, 2019, 12:10 am

This will likely come down to whether we are hitting our 3P shots.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 18th, 2019, 12:31 am

ChicAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:10 am
This will likely come down to whether we are hitting our 3P shots.
Agreed. If we move the ball against their zone Porter, Brito, and Miller will have plenty of open looks. If they’re hitting them at a decent clip, I like our chances.

My other concern is Queta getting in foul trouble.

Locked Previous topicNext topic