Nevada's seed

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FeartheFro
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Nevada's seed

Post by FeartheFro » March 18th, 2019, 10:19 am

As a USU fan it is my obligation to find something to not be happy about. First off, I am thrilled with our 8 seed, I feel this is where we should have been. My complaint is the Nevada seed, and how in the world the selection committee felt good about giving them a 6. We had a better OOC win against St. Mary's (Net 32), if memory serves me right, Nevada's best OOC win was Arizona State (Net 63), Our worst loss was BYU (Net 85), Nevada's worst loss was New Mexico (Net 185). We split home and home with Nevada, we split the regular season conference championship, and WIN the conference tournament. We are going into the tournament winning 17 of 18. Will someone that is a lot smarter than me, explain how the selection committee can look at this and give Nevada a 6 and us an 8? While being thrilled with an 8, I would have loved a 6. It just makes no sense. I stated in a different thread that this would never happen with a Duke/NC scenario. Imagine Duke and NC tying for the regular season crown, and then Duke winning the Conference tournament, winning 17 of their last 18, and ending up with a worse seed than NC. SMH.

tennisned
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Nevada's seed

Post by tennisned » March 18th, 2019, 10:28 am

Nevada actually got a 7 seed not a 6.

Blue42
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Blue42 » March 18th, 2019, 10:28 am

FeartheFro wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:19 am
As a USU fan it is my obligation to find something to not be happy about. First off, I am thrilled with our 8 seed, I feel this is where we should have been. My complaint is the Nevada seed, and how in the world the selection committee felt good about giving them a 6. We had a better OOC win against St. Mary's (Net 32), if memory serves me right, Nevada's best OOC win was Arizona State (Net 63), Our worst loss was BYU (Net 85), Nevada's worst loss was New Mexico (Net 185). We split home and home with Nevada, we split the regular season conference championship, and WIN the conference tournament. We are going into the tournament winning 17 of 18. Will someone that is a lot smarter than me, explain how the selection committee can look at this and give Nevada a 6 and us an 8? While being thrilled with an 8, I would have loved a 6. It just makes no sense. I stated in a different thread that this would never happen with a Duke/NC scenario. Imagine Duke and NC tying for the regular season crown, and then Duke winning the Conference tournament, winning 17 of their last 18, and ending up with a worse seed than NC. SMH.
I agree with what you’re saying, but I just wanted to point out Nevada is a 7, not a 6. You still make good points though. My only guess would Nevada is still running on last season’s success and this season’s expectations. That’s how they’re still seen as better than us despite the fact that they’re 5-3 in their last 8, while we’ve won 17 of 18. They have two fewer losses overall than us, but that’s about all they’ve got over us at this point.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

treesap32
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by treesap32 » March 18th, 2019, 10:29 am

In my opinion, Nevada benefited from preseason hype leading to high rankings in the polls throughout the year. That sticks in your head if you're on the committee

Here's a comparison of NET rankings and Quadrant breakdowns between the two teams:

Nevada
NET Rating: 23
Quad 1: 1-1
Quad 2: 7-1
Quad 3: 11-2
Quad 4: 10-0

Utah State
NET Rating: 29
Quad 1: 3-2
Quad 2: 2-3
Quad 3: 9-1
Quad 4: 13-0

We have more Quad 1 victories and Nevada has more Quad 2. They have more "bad losses" than we do.

Data obtained here: https://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/ ... kings-ahah
These users liked this post from treesap32:
Blue42

NVAggie
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by NVAggie » March 18th, 2019, 10:30 am

Simple, Nevada didn't lose in the non-conference slate. They split with us. Between Q1 and Q2 They went 8-2. We went 5-5. They played better in the OOC and deserve what they got. They are 7-3 in their last 10 games. I'm happy with the 8 for us.

Dmoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Dmoney » March 18th, 2019, 11:02 am

I thought this was kind of funny.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/182 ... -breakdown

Team that everyone will think is good but actually kind of sucks: Nevada

I sat proudly in the driver’s seat of the Muss Bus at the start of the season, so it’s with a heavy heart that I must report the Wolf Pack have been booty for most of this season. Now I don’t want to get too carried away here, because Nevada won 29 games. But if you paid attention to the trajectory of the Pack’s season, the program shouldn’t exactly inspire confidence heading into the NCAA tournament. After Nevada came back to beat Arizona State in December, there was a non-zero chance that the Wolf Pack might run the table and enter March Madness undefeated. That was something they were on their way to doing before they LOST BY 27 POINTS TO A MOUNTAIN WEST TEAM THAT FINISHED 14-18.

I could honestly stop there. Do you have any idea how many teams have made the Sweet 16 after losing by 25-plus-points to sub-.500 Mountain West teams early in the season? I don’t even need to bother looking it up—I’d bet my left nut the answer is zero. But wait, there’s more! There’s also the fact Nevada has had to erase double-digit deficits in what feels like every single one of their victories this season. There’s the fact the Wolf Pack have only two wins over NCAA tournament teams, and those teams are a no. 8 seed (Utah State) and a no. 11 seed (Arizona State). And there’s the fact the last time Nevada took the floor, its best player went 3-for-10 shooting and fouled out in 24 minutes as the Pack lost in the Mountain West tournament ... against a team that didn’t even make the CBI … for the second time this season.

If Nevada hadn’t reached the Sweet 16 a season ago—which, as a reminder, required an overtime win against Texas in the first round and a ridiculous 22-point comeback in 11 minutes against Cincinnati in the second round—nobody would give any thought to the Pack’s chances this year. But because they had a ton of hype entering the season (no. 7 in the preseason AP poll!) and went on to win 29 games, a bunch of suckers are going to pick Nevada as their dark horse to come out of the West. Those suckers are going to be severely disappointed when Michigan wipes the floor with the Pack in the second round (assuming Nevada can even get past Florida in the first round).

(Or at least, this was going to be the case before I ruined everything by jinxing it. Promise me you’ll do your part to delete this from the internet as soon as you see Eric Musselman running around the court in Anaheim, waving his shirt above his head as he celebrates his first career Final Four appearance.)
These users liked this post from Dmoney. Total Likes: 3
Staggerwing3Aggie_in_IdahoAgsman

Mr. Sneelock
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 18th, 2019, 11:51 am

To me it is fairly simple. We are ranked 29 in the NET rankings, and are the highest 8 seed. We are seeded exactly where we should be. Nevada has a NET rating of 23, which means they could be a 6 seed, but a 7 seed is fine. A single seed line isn't a big difference, and the committee will often adjust one or two seed lines based on protecting top 4 seeds, location, avoid regular season rematches, etc.

I think both teams got fair seeds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users liked this post from Mr. Sneelock:
Aggie19

Formerly TulsAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by brownjeans » March 18th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 11:51 am
To me it is fairly simple. We are ranked 29 in the NET rankings, and are the highest 8 seed. We are seeded exactly where we should be. Nevada has a NET rating of 23, which means they could be a 6 seed, but a 7 seed is fine. A single seed line isn't a big difference, and the committee will often adjust one or two seed lines based on protecting top 4 seeds, location, avoid regular season rematches, etc.

I think both teams got fair seeds.
In their bracket show yesterday CBS reported that we're seeded 32 overall - that's the lowest 8 seed. Washington was 33 - highest 9 seed.

ThunderAggie
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by ThunderAggie » March 20th, 2019, 1:28 pm

As I live 10 minutes from Des Moines, me and my family are going to go watch some of the teams playing in Des Moines go through shootaround and practice for free to the public! Nevada has there practice in an hour. Trying to decide if I should wear my Aggie gear?! Or possibly a fire extinguisher around my neck with a big Aggie hat? I don’t want to spark another outbreak from Caroline! :lol: Thoughts?

Aggie-Man
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Aggie-Man » March 20th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I say go for the extinguisher AND the Aggie hat!!! :rock:

dyedblue
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by dyedblue » March 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Aggie-Man wrote:I say go for the extinguisher AND the Aggie hat!!! :rock:
Just sing Sweet Caroline at the top of your lungs when he is close by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by USU78 » March 20th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Disappointing. Here I thought Sweetness broke into the Sparks Memorial Sperm Bank and, you know, broke the bottles and spilled the seed.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

aggiesdotcom
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 1:28 pm
As I live 10 minutes from Des Moines, me and my family are going to go watch some of the teams playing in Des Moines go through shootaround and practice for free to the public! Nevada has there practice in an hour. Trying to decide if I should wear my Aggie gear?! Or possibly a fire extinguisher around my neck with a big Aggie hat? I don’t want to spark another outbreak from Caroline! :lol: Thoughts?
I hope you trolled the Wolfpack hard with some Aggie gear on. Be careful though, you don't want to offend Danyelle. If Nevada loses to Florida I will smile.

ThunderAggie
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by ThunderAggie » March 20th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I ended up just wearing my Aggie sweatshirt. I sat fairly close and when they all faced towards the crowd for a group picture, I am pretty sure some guys saw the big U State logo. Those guys look even better in person and Caroline was throwing down some nasty dunks. I actually hope they do well, but I won't be mad if they lose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic