Homecoming Parade in Jeopardy

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

Wanted to put this where it would get seen. Mods feel free to move it if necessary.

Logan City recently decided it would no longer sponsor the costs of blocking off city streets for parades in Logan. There is an article in the Herald Journal today about the end of the Cruise In parade which states that the city has also notified USU that it will no longer sponsor the homecoming parade.

https://www.hjnews.com/news/government/ ... BGpDJawkdU

From the article:
The Cruise-In parade is not the only event being affected by the city’s attempts to curtail subsidized events. Daines said the organizers of the Utah State University Homecoming parade were sent a similar letter.
It's pathetic that a city that benefits(even exists) from the University the way it does continually gives that university the middle finger. I think it's time we Aggie fans send Mayor Daines our opinions on the matter.

Mayor's Office
Mayor Holly H. Daines
435-716-9002
holly.daines@loganutah.org
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

ChicAggie

Re: Homecoming Parade in Jeopardy

Post by ChicAggie » March 19th, 2019, 9:24 am

I thought the OP was going to tell us that there was a question on Jeopardy about USU's Homecoming Parade. Imagine my disappointment.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
SweepDancecorio

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am

Why not just hold the parade on campus? Or as someone who has become pretty anti-parade anyway, we could use this as an opportunity to end all parades.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
sam tingeyToedAgAggieHead

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 19th, 2019, 9:50 am

I think the bigger issue is the fact that the city of Logan for some reason feels no need to help the University out. Logan is the only college town I've ever been in where on gameday it's not obvious that there is a game. I think it's a major missed opportunity that hurts not only the university, but the city itself.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 3):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21Full

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » March 19th, 2019, 9:55 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am
Why not just hold the parade on campus? Or as someone who has become pretty anti-parade anyway, we could use this as an opportunity to end all parades.
This is the dream scenario.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 19th, 2019, 10:11 am

First the golf course now parades and the university. Is this mayor trying to suck all of the fun out of logan? Seriously, who the heck voted for this idiot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post (total 2):
aceofspadeskbrileys1958

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 19th, 2019, 10:15 am

BOOOOOO what? Nothing about hometown pride? Economic Development? Getting alumni into town is not important??? I don't get it?
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
aceofspadeskbjpswensenTrueBlueFan

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 19th, 2019, 10:15 am

I think it's disgusting that there is such a disconnect between Logan City and The University. There should be some sort of symbotic relationship between the two. You'd think they are different cities. How are prospective students or fans ever supposed to gain an interest in Aggie athletics or even the University in general when the city that the University resides in doesn't support its activities and acts like the University doesn't exsist?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
aceofspadeskbhipsterdoofus21donlarson8TrueBlueFan

Stormblessed

Post by Stormblessed » March 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

If you read up on the related issue with the Cruise-In parade, it sounds like the Mayor feels like it is unfair for Logan City to continue to provide "free" city services (traffic control, security) to some events and to charge new events for the same services which is apparently what Logan's policy is right now. Now I don't know if the approach taken is the correct one or if it has been portrayed correctly. But I agree Logan should not act like Utah State and its students are a burden to the city, when without them Logan would likely be in a much tougher economic situation.
These users thanked the author Stormblessed for the post (total 3):
aceofspadeskbaggies22Machismo

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 19th, 2019, 10:29 am

Usu0505 wrote:First the golf course now parades and the university. Is this mayor trying to suck all of the fun out of logan? Seriously, who the heck voted for this idiot?

The same people who will in all, probability re-elect her. Logan city and Coach Co. government never changes hands. She went to mayor from the council. It also helps to be of the dominant
faith in the valley. USU would be better served to have parade on campus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 19th, 2019, 10:39 am

The university has stepped on their toes a few times and it's like they are trying to get back at them. The old mayor didn't even go to the Vivint building open house cause he was mad at how they went around the city. But then again, maybe it's just all about free vs paid. The city isn't getting any "bigger" yet their are more and more people in the valley using it.

This is ALL my 2 cents and thoughts today

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 19th, 2019, 10:40 am

What is this about the golf course?

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 19th, 2019, 10:46 am

NVAggie wrote:What is this about the golf course?
http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar ... JEcYaRMElQ

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 19th, 2019, 10:59 am

The logistics of parking and gameday setup would make a parade on campus difficult but I would rather it be there because mainstreet is a nightmare for parades with the traffic effect. A smaller parade from the field house or Stadium up to Aggie Ice cream would be really cool, just eliminate all of the stupid insurance companies and dance studios from entering and make it a USU themed parade.
As far as USU vs. Logan City, I've never understood the disconnect between the city and the promotion of USU athletics game day. I would think many on the city council and mayor's office are big supporters individually.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:01 am

Usu0505 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:46 am

So did they decide to privatize? Crazy that a heavily republican community would be against privatization.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 19th, 2019, 11:03 am

Back when I was a rag retail grunt while going to USU, the Main St stores all had sidewalk displays during the parade. A lot of foot traffic and a lot of sales. The downtown merchants' association was all over the parade, and it was kind of a big deal.

If the downtown merchants no longer care, it's probably better to have the parade down 8th East.

Sad to see the change, though. Another great event of my childhood killed by politics and apathy.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Machismo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » March 19th, 2019, 11:11 am

I have always been amazed by the lack of support Logan gives USU ; compared to how my home town Missoula, Montana treats the University of Montana. Logan almost acts like USU is its dirty little secret. Missoula is more than proud to take EVERY opportunity to let you know that it is the home of the University of Montana. If you fly in to the airport up there all the UM gear and banners is the first thing you see, and you see it all over town. Missoula realizes what UM does for them, with all the student, alumni, and fan dollars spent in town. Logan, seems to almost discourage USU pride and only sees what USU costs them without realizing the tremendous financial benefit the university brings them. If Logan, was smart, they would follow Missoula's example of looking for ways to increase the university's financial benefit. Logan, only sees the cost of services they provide. Logan is run by people who are very myopic.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 19th, 2019, 11:12 am

NVAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

So did they decide to privatize? Crazy that a heavily republican community would be against privatization.
They decided with the community out pour at the meeting ( the only ones that would care enough to buy any kind of membership anyway) to hold off for now but to keep it as an option on the table for a later time.

There is another article that basically says the company that wants to run it runs golf courses in the Dakotas and they have basically let them become garbage golf courses. A lot of people around here take for granted just how nice and well taken care of of a public golf course we have. Birch creek as well. I would rather pay more to play it then let a company come ruin it. Not to mention the country club has struggled for some time now finding enough people to buy memberships to keep it open. Why would logan river public golf course be any different.

Last edited by Usu0505 on March 19th, 2019, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2019, 11:17 am

Logan's cops can't be wasting their time working a parade!

I mean, the city has so much crime work to do with the crime rate that's near zero and more cops per capita than just about every city in the world. They just can't spare it.

Still, I'm with hipster, I've always hated parades but I hate them even more lately. Remember when parades had fancy floats, bands, royalty, military, and other such things? Now parades are just a promenade of business advertising. They're super stupid. Seems like a great opportunity to re-think what Homecoming should be. Let's keep it on campus and create a carnival with live music, family fun, good food, etc.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyPacobag

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:25 am

Homecoming typically is about politicians handing out their stuff, dance teams, and business advertisements. Don't really care.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

The city clearly wouldn't be able afford to provide the extra police force for free for all events, so IMO it makes sense that they'd need to consider charging for all events. Yes, it's an extra expense for the event organizers, but when most other events are already paying for it then why shouldn't USU or the Cruise-In?

Does anyone go to the parade anymore? I haven't been since my senior year in '09, but I've been to the Homecoming game 4 or 5 times. It's too early to come up from out of town for NOT the Rose Parade (the only one worthwhile), Folks would have to leave Utah County by 7:30 am or SL County by 8 am to get there in time. There also aren't enough hotel rooms in Cache Valley to come up Friday night either.

If the university can't justify the cost on Main Street but there is still interest in holding the parade, why not move it to campus? Would likely get more student's to show up as well. Start heading south on 1000 East by the tennis courts and Aggie Ice Cream, then head east on 700 North through campus, then north on 800 East past the Greek houses, Spectrum, and Maverik, ending at about the softball field. Would be about a mile and a half.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:33 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am
Marry me?

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:35 am

Usu0505 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:12 am
NVAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Not to mention the country club has struggled for some time now finding enough people to buy memberships to keep it open.
As an equity member of the Logan Golf and Country Club, this is inaccurate. We could absolutely use more equity members, but the club is currently in the black. A lot of members left after getting assessed multiple times after the new clubhouse was built at the worst possible time, but everything is back on track in large part thanks to extremely robust social membership growth.

That all said, the broader point that this isn't a community that will by and large pay for golf memberships is pretty accurate.
Last edited by rAggie on March 19th, 2019, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:40 am

Wow. It's really interesting how passionate people get over their sacred cows.

The city is suggesting that it shouldn't discriminate in who it covers police costs for that go above and beyond regular budgeted expenses, so they ask these events to help foot the bill. The fans of the Cache Valley Cruise In are livid. Fans of USU Homecoming Parade are livid. Every niche event that exists today or may exist in the future will have a group of supporters who are incredibly passionate about their event and will say "Well if the Cruise in and Homecoming get free police coverage, why do we have to pay for it?"

This ultimately is not sustainable for the city. It is common for municipalities to charge a nominal fee for the services of security and traffic management, organizations holding events should pay for them and should not rent seek.

This isn't about Logan hating USU, it is about treating events equitably and being responsible with taxpayer dollars. I'm probably the most far left liberal person on this board and even I can get behind that.

The simple solution here is for organizations that want to hold parades get sponsorship. The USU Homecoming Parade presented by Goldenwest Credit Union. The Cache Valley Cruise In / Jacks Tire and Oil Parade.

$10,000 is not that much money.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
crazywookie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2019, 11:46 am

This is about to get real sandboxy and not directly about the homecoming parade... but government services aren't like business services. Government services are paid for, compulsorily, by taxes. We shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for government services if we also have to pay extra for when they actually provide those services.

If that's the way we're going to do it, let's get rid of taxes all together and instead simply pay for the services we desire when we desire them.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:55 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:46 am
This is about to get real sandboxy and not directly about the homecoming parade... but government services aren't like business services. Government services are paid for, compulsorily, by taxes. We shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for government services if we also have to pay extra for when they actually provide those services.

If that's the way we're going to do it, let's get rid of taxes all together and instead simply pay for the services we desire when we desire them.
Where is the limit then? If a different organization wants to hold a parade every weekend, is the government compelled to provide full traffic management and security for every event? Should taxes be raised to accommodate that?

I personally would be all in favor of having taxes be more a la carte as a single, childless taxpayer who is subsidizing the education of every kid in town.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
WAAggie

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm

brownjeans wrote:

Yeah, probably going to get sandboxy, but in a polite way!

My counter question from my HR career perspective... is providing security for a parade or other extracurricular events in the regular/normal job duties of a Logan City police officer? I have a friend who's dad was an "Events" officer for the Phoenix police department, but that is one of the biggest cities in the country, so having a dedicated events team of police was likely budgeted and was 100% part of his job duties. Logan is clearly not big enough for that type of specialized team.

Police officers are generally hourly (likely unionized though unsure about Logan) employees. While the city can budget for SOME overtime, based on the Mayor's statements, it sounds like the number of events requesting extra security has grown. It also sounds like they've had a hard time finding enough officers to staff all those extra events during their regular time off. They will need to find budget to either hire more officers or to spend more on OT, while likely also dealing with union rules. So... sure, raise the taxes to pay for the increased overtime/new officer costs or request the events to foot the bill. I don't live in Logan anymore, but my guess is a tax increase is unlikely to pass there.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 19th, 2019, 12:23 pm

If USU requests a special events permit from UDOT, they can continue to hold the parade whether Logan City is involved or not. Main Street is US-89/91, and is a UDOT street, not a Logan City street. If they apply for the permit, they can have the parade. They may have to arrange for the UHP to block off the streets instead of Logan City, but it can be done. I think its $50 an hour to hire off-duty UHP officers to provide road blocks for stuff like this.

I agree with rAggie. Get a local business to sponsor the security costs.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 19th, 2019, 12:36 pm

This is easy. Charge an entry fee for the politicians, dance companies, and commercial entities that want to be in the parade that is sufficient to pay the cost. If they don't want to pay, fine, we don't want to look at their advertising.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
USUaggiedonlarson8

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 19th, 2019, 12:37 pm

rAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:12 am
NVAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Not to mention the country club has struggled for some time now finding enough people to buy memberships to keep it open.
As an equity member of the Logan Golf and Country Club, this is inaccurate. We could absolutely use more equity members, but the club is currently in the black. A lot of members left after getting assessed multiple times after the new clubhouse was built at the worst possible time, but everything is back on track in large part thanks to extremely robust social membership growth.

That all said, the broader point that this isn't a community that will by and large pay for golf memberships is pretty accurate.
I was going to add, and I should have, that I can’t accurately speak to what shape the country club is currently in. I just know for certain in the not too distant past they were struggling. Especially after the new club house was built and that was one of the things this company wanted to do. Not a new club house but to add a gym or some crazy thing like that. It was just. Really bad idea by our mayor.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm

rAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:55 am
brownjeans wrote:

Where is the limit then? If a different organization wants to hold a parade every weekend, is the government compelled to provide full traffic management and security for every event? Should taxes be raised to accommodate that?

I personally would be all in favor of having taxes be more a la carte as a single, childless taxpayer who is subsidizing the education of every kid in town.
It's not like we're establishing the first municipal government of Logan and we're trying to decide where the line is. There is an existing, established standard of government services. Start with supporting that existing standard. If we're lowering that standard, isn't the question, shouldn't taxes be lowered to accommodate reduced service?

Because economics don't happen in a vacuum, supporting education - whether yourself, your family, or others - is an investment. You increase your future economic potential.

But as someone who didn't have kids for many years and was gouged on taxes, I feel you.
Last edited by brownjeans on March 19th, 2019, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 19th, 2019, 12:55 pm

So when Logan City wants to use Maverik Stadium every year for their fireworks celebration and USU Police have to work the event our of USU's budget, I guess we can tell them it's $10,000 now because we suddenly can't afford it? Without the university, Logan City is Preston. The tax dollars that come in every week in hotels, sales, restaurants, jobs, etc. more than pay for the measly 2 hour parade.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 7):
Usu0505BigBlueDartbrownjeansNVAggieUSU78aceofspadeskbnewtonianblue

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Yeah, probably going to get sandboxy, but in a polite way!

My counter question from my HR career perspective... is providing security for a parade or other extracurricular events in the regular/normal job duties of a Logan City police officer? I have a friend who's dad was an "Events" officer for the Phoenix police department, but that is one of the biggest cities in the country, so having a dedicated events team of police was likely budgeted and was 100% part of his job duties. Logan is clearly not big enough for that type of specialized team.

Police officers are generally hourly (likely unionized though unsure about Logan) employees. While the city can budget for SOME overtime, based on the Mayor's statements, it sounds like the number of events requesting extra security has grown. It also sounds like they've had a hard time finding enough officers to staff all those extra events during their regular time off. They will need to find budget to either hire more officers or to spend more on OT, while likely also dealing with union rules. So... sure, raise the taxes to pay for the increased overtime/new officer costs or request the events to foot the bill. I don't live in Logan anymore, but my guess is a tax increase is unlikely to pass there.
It's been part of the regular/normal job duties forever.

Governments, even governments with conservative leadership, love to spend money and grow their empire. Government bloat is a problem in Logan.
If we measured the percentage of population growth in the past 40 years and compared it to the percentage of government spending in the past 40 years, I bet the percentage-growth of government spending has outpaced the percentage-growth of the population.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 19th, 2019, 1:14 pm

wow I got whiplash going through this thread!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:36 pm
This is easy. Charge an entry fee for the politicians, dance companies, and commercial entities that want to be in the parade that is sufficient to pay the cost. If they don't want to pay, fine, we don't want to look at their advertising.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bingo. That's why there are so many politicians, business, and dance companies in the parade. Free advertising. Make them pay, the number reduces, quality of parade goes up, and Logan City is happily compensated for supporting the parade.

Locked Previous topicNext topic