Great season, but what a choke job

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
akborder
Has thanked: 0

Great season, but what a choke job

Post by akborder » March 22nd, 2019, 5:52 pm

Out hustled, out rebounded, didn’t adjust, and turnover city..... spells a big fat L in the tourney.....again.

aggiesdotcom

Re: Great season, but what a choke job

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

I didn't expect us to get intimidated and wilt away this time. But I should have expected it. Still an incredible season!

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 22nd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Sad. We're playing like a bunch of turds that dropped out of a tall cow's (I can't express myself without swearing). I know, I know, it is only the half, and the game ain't over yet. Actually, I think it is.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 22nd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Idiots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 6:52 pm

Queta really needs to slow down on offense. He took a bad jumper after missing 3 close shots. It really took us out of the game.

We should be good next year

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » March 22nd, 2019, 6:57 pm

Cant really blame anything on Queta. He didnt play great but he was the only guy that looked remotely up to the challenge.
These users thanked the author AggieAddict for the post:
trevordude

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 22nd, 2019, 6:58 pm

It's not a choke when the other team is clearly more talented.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
ProvoAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 6:52 pm
Queta really needs to slow down on offense. He took a bad jumper after missing 3 close shots. It really took us out of the game.

He was also blocked like 6 times because he played slow.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » March 22nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

Can we talk about how unprepared we looked, and how had 0 idea how to use Merrill...
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
trevordude

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 22nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

splintorb wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:00 pm
Can we talk about how unprepared we looked, and how had 0 idea how to use Merrill...
In what way did we look unprepared?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 22nd, 2019, 7:03 pm

splintorb wrote:
We've shown we knew had to use Merrill throughout the season. Washington played very good defense on him.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:07 pm

GTFO
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
MrBiggle

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » March 22nd, 2019, 7:09 pm

No choke...lost to a better team. Great season and let's look forward to all the positives around this program. Go Aggies! I hope the players don't read all the stupid comments.So disappointing when I see this.
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post:
Madmartigan

Lambchops

Post by Lambchops » March 22nd, 2019, 7:10 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:03 pm
splintorb wrote:
We've shown we knew had to use Merrill throughout the season. Washington played very good defense on him.
Sticking Merrill at the high post at the top of the key pretty much took him out of plays with how long they were.
Great season though, the future is bright for the Aggies.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 22nd, 2019, 7:12 pm

This is a game where it really would've been nice to have an athletic PG.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » March 22nd, 2019, 7:19 pm

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Without those I think we win this thing.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 22nd, 2019, 7:20 pm

That was probably the 2nd best team we’ve seen all season. I’d probably take UH over UW.

We were outclassed. Their bench played amazing basketball. They shut sam down and forced him to throw up garbage, desperation shots. Absolutely no regrets this year. We will be back.

Also: I live 541 miles from Logan. I love USU football (so I go up to Logan mostly in the fall) and I practice tax (so I’m as busy as hell during basketball season)... but I’ll be a USU basketball season ticket holder next year and forevermore. This team pushed me over the hump. I love all of these guys. Real Aggie brothers!

Thank you, Aggies!!
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
trevordude

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

I am watching Liberty vs Miss St, and I would have much rather played Mississippi State. There are many 6, 5, and even 4 seeds that would have lost to Washington tonight. We all thought it was a good match up, when really it wasn't.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 22nd, 2019, 8:00 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 6:52 pm

It seems like he brings the ball backwards above and behind his head too far a lot.

He was also blocked like 6 times because he played slow.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Nope, not a "choke job." It's not like we were up 10 with 2 minutes left and blew it.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 23rd, 2019, 7:12 am

A few thoughts I have after the game:

1. Turnovers - so many unforced turnovers killed it. I bet we dropped the ball at least 10 times with little to no contact and we are not gong to beat a quality team with 21 turnovers.

2. Gameplan - Washington is long, athletic, and cohesive on D. They are great. They played a four out zone with a man matchup on Sam away from the ball. We weren't going to beat them from the outside. We started out well going inside to Queta but unforced turnovers forced us away from that.

Moving San to the high post was a train wreck that only clogged things up even more. That would have worked had r we feed the post and quickly ran Sam to the rim. With only one defender inside they would have been forced to defend the past or the cutter. We did this a few times and ended to with layups.

3. When we pressed Washington fell apart. With more depth we could have pressured them more and gained an advantage there.

4. Washington shot lights out from three. They had to have that going to keep the game out of reach, they delivered. When we got the game to one, they drilled two huge threes.

5. Intimidation - We played scared and intimidated all game long. Everyone. How many alligator arm layups did we have? Sam only had two shots in the first half. I thought our end of drain schedule would have prepared us better for this type of game. It did not.

All that said, Washington was a much better team than us yesterday but with Sam and Queta next year we will have another great season.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 23rd, 2019, 8:10 am

Washington is simply better. Really tough matchup for us with their length and athleticism. They also played like a team that heard all week they would lose, most everyone talking out there had us winning. They played with a chip on their shoulder, and played one of their best games of the year. You have to give them credit. If you hit 6-7 threes in second half you will almost always win. Love my Aggies though. Hopefully this motivates us to be better.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
Usu0505

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 23rd, 2019, 9:26 am

This game was the first time all season that I actually missed having Koby.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 23rd, 2019, 10:43 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 6:58 pm
If they are clearly more talented, then why did ESPN, TNT, and Vegas pick us as the favorite? About the only ones who thought we wouldn't win were the WA Huskies team and fans. The accusation of us choking is a valid one. We had beaten teams more athletically talented than us and took the conference championship by beating superior teams athletically......so I don't completely accept your premise that we lost because the other team is more talented. We have a team of really good basketball players who play as a team. They rebound, they pass and get assists and play defense really really well. But they got to the Big Dance, and had a poor first half. They rallied to within 1 point and had all the momentum in the world.....but for some reason immediately folded like a cheap card table.
I actually can't explain why we didn't keep it up the last 8 minutes. We just went bye-bye. Nevada, SDS, and Fresno all have teams that are "more talented" than we are athletically.....but we found a way against them. The Huskies game....I really can't figure out.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 10:51 am

We faced a defense we hadn’t seen all year, we got within one point and then could not make a shot to save our lives, it’s basketball. We needed Queta and Merrill to play well, it didn’t happen, it was not a choke job, we were an eight seed. 8/9 game is Basically a coin flip matchup more often than not in the tournament.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 23rd, 2019, 10:51 am

Washington was the pac-12 regular season champ they had a hot shooting game. We did not play physical enough to win they took Merrill out of the game, and we did not overcome Sam having a off game.

It had nothing to do with chocking or poor ref's
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
ProvoAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 23rd, 2019, 10:59 am

A lot of really good teams lost thursday and yesterday, and we happened to be one of them. No choking involved.

We’ll be back next year. The NCAA tourney is really a crapshoot, and it’s silly to use it as the only metric for a successful season. Should K-State feel like their season was a failure because they lost to Irvine? They won the Big 12 and ended KU’s title streak. Should Marquette feel like their season was a failure just because they ran into a Ja Morant buzzsaw? There are countless other examples too.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
oleblu111ProvoAggieMetsJetsAggiesbluegrouse

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 23rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

We have one tournament win since 1970. I want to win in the tournament as much as everyone else, but it should not be the barometer for a successful season. Especially this year when we were picked to finish 9th in the mw yet won the league.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
bluegrouse

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 23rd, 2019, 2:21 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 10:43 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 6:58 pm
If they are clearly more talented, then why did ESPN, TNT, and Vegas pick us as the favorite? About the only ones who thought we wouldn't win were the WA Huskies team and fans. The accusation of us choking is a valid one. We had beaten teams more athletically talented than us and took the conference championship by beating superior teams athletically......so I don't completely accept your premise that we lost because the other team is more talented. We have a team of really good basketball players who play as a team. They rebound, they pass and get assists and play defense really really well. But they got to the Big Dance, and had a poor first half. They rallied to within 1 point and had all the momentum in the world.....but for some reason immediately folded like a cheap card table.
I actually can't explain why we didn't keep it up the last 8 minutes. We just went bye-bye. Nevada, SDS, and Fresno all have teams that are "more talented" than we are athletically.....but we found a way against them. The Huskies game....I really can't figure out.
I think within the game there are instances of choking. But on an overall level when you only look at the W/L I don’t think we choked.

Washington regardless of what others thought proved themselves a better team. Much of what caused our struggles is turnovers, unlike choking this wasn’t a sudden problem. We’ve struggled with turnovers for sometime- and all that happened is it finally cost us the game.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 25th, 2019, 1:03 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
I am watching Liberty vs Miss St, and I would have much rather played Mississippi State. There are many 6, 5, and even 4 seeds that would have lost to Washington tonight. We all thought it was a good match up, when really it wasn't.
Yep. A big factor is luck of the draw and matchups. It figures that the one year we don't get a 12 seed, 3 of the 4 win against teams that we honestly would have had an easier time with than Washington (Miss St, Marquette and Wisconsin are all solid teams but don't have the defense or the athletes Washington has). There was talk all week about Washington;s struggles to end the year and lack of good wins, but they had athletes at every spot on the floor and won the Pac-12, down year or not that isn't easy with all the talent in that conference. We faced an elite defense, which was known going in, who uses a "gimmick" like the zone to throw opponents off balance. It happened to work out to perfection against us as we couldn't shake Sam open at all and weren't athletic enough to bully it, and yet we were still only down 1 halfway through the 2nd half with all the momentum in the world until they hit back to back 3s which gave them their confidence back.

I'd argue we'd have beaten about 40-45+ of the 68 tournament teams this year, but on that day Washington was not one of them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic