The best part

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

The best part

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

Next year's team should be a lot better.
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I would not be surprised if we went unbeaten in the MWC schedule next season.



brian5562
Posts: 1308
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:08 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Re: The best part

Post by brian5562 » March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm

I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 267
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: The best part

Post by ThunderAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 9:07 pm

SLB wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm
Next year's team should be a lot better.
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I would not be surprised if we went unbeaten in the MWC schedule next season.
I sure hope so, but I think we have a similar record as this year.



oleblu111
Posts: 985
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: The best part

Post by oleblu111 » March 22nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

SLB wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm
Next year's team should be a lot better.
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I would not be surprised if we went unbeaten in the MWC schedule next season.
Unbeaten is a big dream that is near impossible to achieve.
These users liked this post from oleblu111:
donlarson8



Intermeddler
Posts: 1584
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: The best part

Post by Intermeddler » March 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

I think this team lacked an athletic penetrating guard to take the pressure off Sam, an athletic wing defender, and a stretch big.

We could also have used another big in the rotation.

I think if Grootfam is healthy and Knight improves we can fill those holes with current guys and this class. We should be really good next year. We will probably have a similar record but be better equipped for March.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1821
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 32 times

Re: The best part

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm

Yeah the feeling of this loss is much different than 2011. That was the end of an era, this is the start of something big.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2050
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: The best part

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm
Yeah the feeling of this loss is much different than 2011. That was the end of an era, this is the start of something big.
I mean, we bring back every contributor but one, bring in our highest rated recruit ever (McChesney), a 6’7 JC guy (Anderson), and the younger brother of a MW legend and former NBA player (Bairstow).

I’m also excited to see what Grootfaam brings to the table. If he is good for some toughness, dunking, and rebounding, then that’s great. It’ll be nice to have a wide load down low to back up Queta.

Much different than that last Wesley team. Could still br some more departures and additions too.
These users liked this post from ineptimusprime:
Intermeddler



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: The best part

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 9:30 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
I think this team lacked an athletic penetrating guard to take the pressure off Sam, an athletic wing defender, and a stretch big.

We could also have used another big in the rotation.

I think if Grootfam is healthy and Knight improves we can fill those holes with current guys and this class. We should be really good next year. We will probably have a similar record but be better equipped for March.
The wing part might be not a problem next season.
These users liked this post from SLB:
Intermeddler



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4475
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 36 times

Re: The best part

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Yeah, I think we can be fine in conference play with him starting, but you're right, for us to be a threat on a national level, he needs to be coming off the bench.



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1222
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 46 times

Re: The best part

Post by Jjoey53 » March 22nd, 2019, 11:28 pm

This takes a bit of the luster for Smith and Quetta leaving off. I think next year could be huge, the team learned a lot tonight.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 788 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: The best part

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2019, 11:35 pm

McChesney will be our second best shooter the moment he steps on campus.



blueaggie
Posts: 760
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: The best part

Post by blueaggie » March 23rd, 2019, 4:10 am

We better do well in our ooc games because the mwc might only get one bid and it is easy to slip up in the conference tournament. Go Aggies



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 741
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: The best part

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 23rd, 2019, 5:36 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm
Yeah the feeling of this loss is much different than 2011. That was the end of an era, this is the start of something big.
I mean, we bring back every contributor but one, bring in our highest rated recruit ever (McChesney), a 6’7 JC guy (Anderson), and the younger brother of a MW legend and former NBA player (Bairstow).

I’m also excited to see what Grootfaam brings to the table. If he is good for some toughness, dunking, and rebounding, then that’s great. It’ll be nice to have a wide load down low to back up Queta.

Much different than that last Wesley team. Could still br some more departures and additions too.
I thought Kolpe was the highest rated recruit ever? Additionally, did he end up becoming the greatest Aggie of all time? My memory is fuzzy.



User avatar
MarioWest
Posts: 728
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: The best part

Post by MarioWest » March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

I feel like a lot of posters on this board are greatly underrating the chances Neemi goes to the NBA.

Here's hoping the Aggies get one more year with him, but I expect him to leave. Yes, he has a LONG way to go, but he has already proven he is Rudy Gobert relative to the Mountain West. He needs to play against better competition.

Neemi showed all of his flaws against UW, but he flashed plenty of potential as well. With the dearth of big man prospects in this draft, someone will want him late in the first round. Staying another year would be pretty risky.
These users liked this post from MarioWest:
TrueBlue



Blitz79
Posts: 1046
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: The best part

Post by Blitz79 » March 23rd, 2019, 10:33 am

Neemias can definelty benefit from another year of school. I guess he could go the D-league instead. He's been here for what? 6 months? He was a here a month before the season started. I'm not sure on timing. Give him a year to get better and look out. He needs to hit the weight room. If you hear basketball people talk, they say that you get better over the summer. That's when you put the work in.

I would not be surprised if we have a worst record next year BUT a better team. 14-4 could win the MW next year.
We might even schedule some tougher OOC teams as well. We need that experience.



SLB
Posts: 766
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: The best part

Post by SLB » March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am

brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
These users liked this post from SLB:
sneed



afausu
Posts: 62
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The best part

Post by afausu » March 23rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

I sat next to a scout for the Denver Nuggets last Saturday during the championship game that was evaluating Queta and McDaniels from SDSU. He said Queta definitely needs another year.



Pacobag
Posts: 481
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: The best part

Post by Pacobag » March 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

SLB wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am
brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
Porter has been a good contributor, but I think a better PG would be huge for next season. Someone fast and under control that can get to the hoop and either make a normal looking layup or dish to a big. Outside of Sam and Queta, I think who starts will depend on the talent coming in.



utaggies
Posts: 2892
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: The best part

Post by utaggies » March 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm

MarioWest wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am
I feel like a lot of posters on this board are greatly underrating the chances Neemi goes to the NBA.

Here's hoping the Aggies get one more year with him, but I expect him to leave. Yes, he has a LONG way to go, but he has already proven he is Rudy Gobert relative to the Mountain West. He needs to play against better competition.

Neemi showed all of his flaws against UW, but he flashed plenty of potential as well. With the dearth of big man prospects in this draft, someone will want him late in the first round. Staying another year would be pretty risky.
I don’t have a clue what Queta will do next year re: the draft. But in searching all of the mock drafts of the Top 30 (1st round) and Top 60 (1st and 2nd rounds) picks his name appears nowhere. SDS’ McDaniels name appears frequently and the names of the Martin Twins appear, but no Queta. I seriously doubt that any NBA team takes a flyer on him this year, but he could find a place overseas.



JFWAggie
Posts: 247
Joined: August 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Re: The best part

Post by JFWAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

SLB wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am
brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
We can’t wait another season

We need a significant upgrade at that position if want to win in the ncaa tournament, I like porter a lot and he can still be a big part of our success coming off the bench. We need someone to take the pressure off of Merrill, someone that can get to the basket and create their own shot or a good shot for someone else.
These users liked this post from JFWAggie:
Intermeddler



User avatar
MarioWest
Posts: 728
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: The best part

Post by MarioWest » March 24th, 2019, 7:21 am

utaggies wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm
MarioWest wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am
I feel like a lot of posters on this board are greatly underrating the chances Neemi goes to the NBA.

Here's hoping the Aggies get one more year with him, but I expect him to leave. Yes, he has a LONG way to go, but he has already proven he is Rudy Gobert relative to the Mountain West. He needs to play against better competition.

Neemi showed all of his flaws against UW, but he flashed plenty of potential as well. With the dearth of big man prospects in this draft, someone will want him late in the first round. Staying another year would be pretty risky.
I don’t have a clue what Queta will do next year re: the draft. But in searching all of the mock drafts of the Top 30 (1st round) and Top 60 (1st and 2nd rounds) picks his name appears nowhere. SDS’ McDaniels name appears frequently and the names of the Martin Twins appear, but no Queta. I seriously doubt that any NBA team takes a flyer on him this year, but he could find a place overseas.
The most recent SI mock had him at 29 to the Spurs.



nswaggie
Posts: 398
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: The best part

Post by nswaggie » March 24th, 2019, 9:30 am

Pacobag wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm
SLB wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am
brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
Porter has been a good contributor, but I think a better PG would be huge for next season. Someone fast and under control that can get to the hoop and either make a normal looking layup or dish to a big. Outside of Sam and Queta, I think who starts will depend on the talent coming in.
Yes, we need another piece but it is a need based on our overall guard personnel and not just our point guard. I think Abel’s shooting is very underrated. He could easily be the guy that slides over to the two spot to give Merrill a rest twice a game. He is also very good at recognizing good opportunities and not forcing things. He can really thread the needle to Quetta, passes in the paint that are not easy. The problem is when Porter, Merrill, and Miller are all on the floor together It can be great for certain teams and defenses, but we need the personnel that can counter and take advantage of an overly aggressive defense.

I guess what I’m saying is insert your new described play x at any of the 3 perimeter positions and I would say problem solved. I’m gonna let Smith decide if player x should start or come off the bench. I do think Merrill and Porter need more rest in games than what they got down the stretch this year.
These users liked this post from nswaggie:
Pacobag



bluegrouse
Posts: 2696
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: The best part

Post by bluegrouse » March 24th, 2019, 10:28 am

SLB wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm
Next year's team should be a lot better.
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I would not be surprised if we went unbeaten in the MWC schedule next season.
Nevada just found out how easy it is to run the table in the MW even with a team of very talented 5th-year seniors.....

Just sayin’



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1222
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 46 times

Re: The best part

Post by Jjoey53 » March 24th, 2019, 2:34 pm

He might not get drafted and end up in Europe if he comes out. With another year of weight room, nutrition and developing his game more, he could be a lotto pick. Smart decision is to stay.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic