Smith extension and raise

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 23rd, 2019, 5:25 pm

I would really like to get Craig Smith up to a million a year and a raise for his assistants. Maybe up the buyout to 3 million. Anyone have insight on his rumored raise and extension?

trombone_ninja

Re: Smith extension and raise

Post by trombone_ninja » March 23rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

I’m sure we’ll hear something within the week. I’m guessing the only reason we haven’t heard anything yet is because they just stepped off the airplane a few hours ago

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » March 23rd, 2019, 7:06 pm

Agreed... Also, is there any way that the team could have more chartered flights?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 7:09 pm

Aggiestyle wrote:Agreed... Also, is there any way that the team could have more chartered flights?
Only if we charter the women's team too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 7:22 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 7:09 pm
Aggiestyle wrote:Agreed... Also, is there any way that the team could have more chartered flights?

How does this work? Did we pay for women’s team to be in the post season? We have refused to pay for the men’s? Seems like a big ole waste of money!!??

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 9:22 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 7:22 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:

How does this work? Did we pay for women’s team to be in the post season? We have refused to pay for the men’s? Seems like a big ole waste of money!!??
I know that you're not allowed to give any benefit's to the men's team that the women's team doesn't also get. That does include chartered flights.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » March 24th, 2019, 7:53 am

A new contract/extension is in the works. We’ll hear soon on details.

Bulls On Parade

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 24th, 2019, 8:30 am

ProvoAggie wrote:

That’s crap. Sorry ladies, but the men’s team actually generates revenue and attention for the university while the women’s team is a net negative. They should be grateful to have a team as it stands.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
rileys1958

Stucki

Post by Stucki » March 24th, 2019, 8:49 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 8:30 am
ProvoAggie wrote:

That’s crap. Sorry ladies, but the men’s team actually generates revenue and attention for the university while the women’s team is a net negative. They should be grateful to have a team as it stands.
I don't think that is how Title IX works.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Wow, took a lot of courage to post that sentiment! Women's basketball has come a long way since they played half court only in my youth. If we only supported athletic events that "generate revenue" it would be a pretty miserable Aggie collegiate program...?tennis ?golf ...?track and field....?baseball....?swimming...?gymnastics....

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 24th, 2019, 10:20 am

Socrates2121 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 7:53 am
A new contract/extension is in the works. We’ll hear soon on details.
Can’t happen soon enough........

thetrueaggie

Post by thetrueaggie » March 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

tinplater wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 9:55 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Wow, took a lot of courage to post that sentiment! Women's basketball has come a long way since they played half court only in my youth. If we only supported athletic events that "generate revenue" it would be a pretty miserable Aggie collegiate program...?tennis ?golf ...?track and field....?baseball....?swimming...?gymnastics....
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I would be 100% ok with only supporting football and men's basketball.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 24th, 2019, 10:26 am

Big difference is the amount of money literally wasted on women’s basketball, it is very expensive and there is no profit, no support because it is a lousy product with a pathetic coach,these other sports are much cheaper to operate. I’m all about equal opportunities for girls and women but I think sports that don’t make money should not have equal funding/support as teams that do no matter what sex they are.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » March 24th, 2019, 10:30 am

wow, tell us how you really feel!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 24th, 2019, 10:54 am

Yep. Let's have true equality. There need to be one team for each sport with open tryouts. Only the best players, regardless of sex, will make it.

--TIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on March 24th, 2019, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 24th, 2019, 11:10 am

Remember when this thread was about Coach Smith and a contract extension/raise?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
ProvoAggiescotlandogSike918AGG

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 24th, 2019, 11:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 11:10 am
Yes do you have an update?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 24th, 2019, 11:18 am

JFWAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 11:10 am
Yes do you have an update?
Patience. It will be soon. Coach just got home. It’s just getting finalized.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
Intermeddler

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » March 24th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Yes please

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 24th, 2019, 1:45 pm

The Laub’s Flew the men’s team a few times I believe. No knowledge of them also flying the women.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 24th, 2019, 2:39 pm

He will get a nice raise, and extension. I doubt it will be $1 million. I do not know why he would agree to a buyout that is real high that's not in his best interest.

USU does need to charter for conference games. The law is that if you charter men then the women get the same perk, no need to argue that is the law. We could get by with 9 charters for the men and 9 for the women if we Bus to Boise.

If we want to pay a coach $1 million then lets not whine about ticket prices or concessions, it takes investment to be successful at this level. I have seen people sneak food into USU venues to avoid paying for concessions. A beer at the NCAA in SLC costs $11 bucks so USU concessions and ticket prices are more than fair.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 24th, 2019, 3:36 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 2:39 pm
He will get a nice raise, and extension. I doubt it will be $1 million. I do not know why he would agree to a buyout that is real high that's not in his best interest.

USU does need to charter for conference games. The law is that if you charter men then the women get the same perk, no need to argue that is the law. We could get by with 9 charters for the men and 9 for the women if we Bus to Boise.

If we want to pay a coach $1 million then lets not whine about ticket prices or concessions, it takes investment to be successful at this level. I have seen people sneak food into USU venues to avoid paying for concessions. A beer at the NCAA in SLC costs $11 bucks so USU concessions and ticket prices are more than fair.
I think it's reasonable to agree to a buyout at the level of your remaining salary. That's how his contract was set up this past year, according to the sources. If so, his buyout will increase due to the raise and extension.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 24th, 2019, 4:09 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 2:39 pm
I have seen people sneak food into USU venues to avoid paying for concessions.
:shock: Well I hope you told them what dishonest thieves they were. I can’t believe that this actually happened in what is perceived as one of the safest cities in the world. I might have to start locking my doors.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 24th, 2019, 4:17 pm

oleblu111 wrote:He will get a nice raise, and extension. I doubt it will be $1 million. I do not know why he would agree to a buyout that is real high that's not in his best interest.

It's not the price, it's the 30-45 minute wait at football games that make you miss the better part of a quarter.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
donlarson8ProvoAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 24th, 2019, 4:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 4:17 pm
oleblu111 wrote:He will get a nice raise, and extension. I doubt it will be $1 million. I do not know why he would agree to a buyout that is real high that's not in his best interest.

It's not the price, it's the 30-45 minute wait at football games that make you miss the better part of a quarter.

We could also save a lot of money if we didn’t overpay the women’s basketball coach?

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 24th, 2019, 5:08 pm

A couple of thoughts here
1) Title IX doesn't need to be exact, in fact, it's more general guidance. The balance between coaching pay for M/W isn't the exact same. It wants an institution to look and be active in helping women's teams be competitive..
2) Smith won't sign a big deal nor extension. The buyout would be too high and as much as we'd like to think he will stay forever. I am sorry, he won't. Will he get a reworked deal, most likely. More benefits and higher base for himself and assistants.
3)Is the fan base really okay with bumping up support in fees, tickets and everything else? We already can't fill the arena or stadium with already some of the lowest season/individual ticket prices in conference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2019, 8:03 pm

I dont think anyone believes smith will stay forever. If he stays 5 years it will be great. I agree fans shouldnt complain about ticket and concession prices and then also want facility upgrades and an increase in coaches salaries. I would disagree that we cant fill the arena. This is our first year in 8 years of having a good team. Now that people have seen it, season ticket sales are going to be higher, student interest is also going to be much higher going forward.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » March 24th, 2019, 8:04 pm

dyedblue wrote:

I agree, the lines are too long at both football and basketball games.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 24th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Aggiestyle wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

There is a really simple solution to that problem.

Season tickets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 24th, 2019, 9:36 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Aggiestyle wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

There is a really simple solution to that problem.

Season tickets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Are you saying that season ticket holders don’t have to wait in line for concessions?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 24th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Unless Smith has us finished ranked annually or unless we reach the sweet 16 there isn’t going to be huge interest. 5 years seems reasonable.

Larranaga stayed at Mason for 5 years after Mason’s Final Four run, Moser is still at Loyola Chicago after taking his guys to the Final Four. Brad Stevens didn’t immediately bolt either.

Smith has a lot of freest qualities. We are lucky to have him. Unlike football there are a lot of coaches in NCAA and USU is a bigger program than most others.

The P5 teams are just as, if not more likely, to hire a Coach K or a Bill Self assistant to take the reigns as they are a small school coach who takes the team to a final four, both of which are going to be more valued than a coach who has a team that consistently makes the tourney but doesn’t get past the round of 32.

I think Smith will be here longer than we assume. This isn’t football, our budget is bigger than a lot more schools.

If Coach Smith is hired away in the next few years then that tells me we made at least a sweet 16 and likely an elite 8. If he is hired away 5 years or more from now, that tells me he has turned this program into one that will constantly compete for a MWC championship. Either way, I like where we are headed- and I don’t think
It makes sense for him to turndown money because of a buyout. The schools he’d leave for will pay it, and it’s worth taking the money because he earned it.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 25th, 2019, 12:55 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 10:06 pm
Unless Smith has us finished ranked annually or unless we reach the sweet 16 there isn’t going to be huge interest. 5 years seems reasonable.

Larranaga stayed at Mason for 5 years after Mason’s Final Four run, Moser is still at Loyola Chicago after taking his guys to the Final Four. Brad Stevens didn’t immediately bolt either.

Smith has a lot of freest qualities. We are lucky to have him. Unlike football there are a lot of coaches in NCAA and USU is a bigger program than most others.

The P5 teams are just as, if not more likely, to hire a Coach K or a Bill Self assistant to take the reigns as they are a small school coach who takes the team to a final four, both of which are going to be more valued than a coach who has a team that consistently makes the tourney but doesn’t get past the round of 32.

I think Smith will be here longer than we assume. This isn’t football, our budget is bigger than a lot more schools.

If Coach Smith is hired away in the next few years then that tells me we made at least a sweet 16 and likely an elite 8. If he is hired away 5 years or more from now, that tells me he has turned this program into one that will constantly compete for a MWC championship. Either way, I like where we are headed- and I don’t think
It makes sense for him to turndown money because of a buyout. The schools he’d leave for will pay it, and it’s worth taking the money because he earned it.
Hope you’re right. I imagine we’ll just have to endure rumors for every bigger opening every year. Already hearing his name for the Cal job (along with others including Jason Kidd) and that just opened this afternoon. He’s been mentioned for UCLA, Nebraska, Washington State and even UNLV. Doubt any of these are serious at this point but the point remains. He will likely get a lot of looks if he keeps things going (which is fine and way better than the alternative)...

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 25th, 2019, 1:53 am

Imakeitrain wrote:

Yep. And the funny thing about basketball, is the grass really isn't always greener. Granted he could make more money for a few years by leaving, but it's hard to win consistently and it doesn't always happen just because you're a good coach. Lots of factors have to come together. Look at all the coaches who have left mid-majors over the years, only to flame out at their next stop and get canned after 3-4 years because they couldn't meet the high expectations. Even Shaka Smart is on the hot seat at Texas, rumor is he might be gone this off season. I can't think of a higher profile mid-major coach the past decade, besides maybe Brad Stevens but he went to the NBA.

Smith absolutely will be considered for job openings, and he will do what's best for his career and his family. That could easily be to stick around at USU and try to build something great here with a team he has already shown to have a special bond with, a program with tons of support, solid facilities, etc.. I think it's a no-brainer for him to stay at least one more year with the guys we have returning as there will be plenty of opportunities next year too. He's having fun, he's going to be making great money, and he has found a home at USU that won't be overly easy to recreate somewhere else

cbingham

Post by cbingham » March 25th, 2019, 4:15 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:53 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

Yep. And the funny thing about basketball, is the grass really isn't always greener. Granted he could make more money for a few years by leaving, but it's hard to win consistently and it doesn't always happen just because you're a good coach. Lots of factors have to come together. Look at all the coaches who have left mid-majors over the years, only to flame out at their next stop and get canned after 3-4 years because they couldn't meet the high expectations. Even Shaka Smart is on the hot seat at Texas, rumor is he might be gone this off season. I can't think of a higher profile mid-major coach the past decade, besides maybe Brad Stevens but he went to the NBA.

Smith absolutely will be considered for job openings, and he will do what's best for his career and his family. That could easily be to stick around at USU and try to build something great here with a team he has already shown to have a special bond with, a program with tons of support, solid facilities, etc.. I think it's a no-brainer for him to stay at least one more year with the guys we have returning as there will be plenty of opportunities next year too. He's having fun, he's going to be making great money, and he has found a home at USU that won't be overly easy to recreate somewhere else
I think more and more coaches are starting to get smart and are sticking to geographic areas where they have cultural ties given the power of booster. Living in Austin and as a Longhorn fan it was interesting to see Smart and Strong, coaches with a lot of momentum and ability, fail to connect and energize the donor base. Texas has learned it’s lesson and going forward is more likely than not to stick to coaches with UT ties. We saw Gary A struggle similarly by underestimating cultural / personality issues at UW and OSU.

Smith will have opportunities. I hope he’s patient and picks a good fit rather than the first shiny opportunity that shows up. Feel like he’d be a pretty interesting backfill when Richard Pitino moves up at some point. I don’t see Smith as as strong of a fit on the west coast as he would be in the upper Midwest.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 25th, 2019, 5:35 am

Yes if and when smith moves I believe it will be to a mid to upper level big ten team. Just my gut feeling. I don’t see him going to a low level pac 12 school, the lights of Vegas or LA. Just in my opinion it does not fit his personality. But who knows money can talk. He doesn’t strike me as a guy only looking for more money but also would consider opportunity as well.

Locked Previous topicNext topic