Meanwhile....down south

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot
Posts: 147
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times

Meanwhile....down south

Post by Bank Shot » March 25th, 2019, 3:39 pm

127 pages and counting on the MWC forum about the UNLV coaching change. Angst, hemorrhaging, dispair, confusion and good old infighting. Nothing like seeing conference mates eating their own!



Madmartigan
Posts: 2556
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Madmartigan » March 25th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:39 pm
127 pages and counting on the MWC forum about the UNLV coaching change. Angst, hemorrhaging, dispair, confusion and good old infighting. Nothing like seeing conference mates eating their own!
Rebel on rebel violence is on the rise, sadly.That thread sort of typifies how it's been for them since Tark elevated the expectations.



Blitz79
Posts: 1066
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Blitz79 » March 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Apparently this guys are transferring out of UNLV

C Cheickna Dembélé JR 6-11
SF Shakur Juiston RS JR 6-7
C Chiekh Mbacke Diong SO 6-11
SF Joel Ntambwe FR 6-8
PF Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua FR 6-8



User avatar
Blue42
Posts: 151
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 5:00 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Blue42 » March 25th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Apparently this guys are transferring out of UNLV

C Cheickna Dembélé JR 6-11
SF Shakur Juiston RS JR 6-7
C Chiekh Mbacke Diong SO 6-11
SF Joel Ntambwe FR 6-8
PF Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua FR 6-8
Juiston would be a tough loss for them. Averaged almost 15 and 10 two years ago before getting hurt early this last season.


“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

slcagg
Posts: 3013
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by slcagg » March 25th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Apparently this guys are transferring out of UNLV

C Cheickna Dembélé JR 6-11
SF Shakur Juiston RS JR 6-7
C Chiekh Mbacke Diong SO 6-11
SF Joel Ntambwe FR 6-8
PF Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua FR 6-8
Juiston should come play next to queta.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 277
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by ThunderAggie » March 25th, 2019, 7:28 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Apparently this guys are transferring out of UNLV

C Cheickna Dembélé JR 6-11
SF Shakur Juiston RS JR 6-7
C Chiekh Mbacke Diong SO 6-11
SF Joel Ntambwe FR 6-8
PF Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua FR 6-8
Juiston should come play next to queta.
I would take Joel Ntambwe and Chiekh Mbacke Diong. Ntambwe is just a freshman and was 3rd in scoring for the team!



Imakeitrain
Posts: 4974
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 82 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Imakeitrain » March 25th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I don’t think I can pronounce a single full name.
These users liked this post from Imakeitrain. Total Likes: 2
TrueBlueFanflying_scotsman2.0


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14869
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 7:40 pm
I don’t think I can pronounce a single full name.
Seriously. Someone dropped the Scrabble board.



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1649
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by JSHarvey » March 26th, 2019, 7:29 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 8:43 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 7:40 pm
I don’t think I can pronounce a single full name.
Seriously. Someone dropped the Scrabble board.

(For the flip-side point of view.) :-)


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

bucky
Posts: 47
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by bucky » March 26th, 2019, 8:19 am

Sorry but who is unlv new coach



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2262
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by OKAggie » March 26th, 2019, 9:15 am

UNLV fans are like BYU fans -- remembering that fluke national championship from the '80s and expecting it to surely happen again. But you can't cheat your way to a title like Tark did any more. And now that Vegas will have the Knights and the Raiders to occupy the attention of real sports fans from September to April, the Rebels become a distant third option.


Nobody here knows anything.

pilotaggie
Posts: 472
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by pilotaggie » March 26th, 2019, 10:28 am

OKAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 9:15 am
UNLV fans are like BYU fans -- remembering that fluke national championship from the '80s and expecting it to surely happen again. But you can't cheat your way to a title like Tark did any more. And now that Vegas will have the Knights and the Raiders to occupy the attention of real sports fans from September to April, the Rebels become a distant third option.
Living in Vegas at the time of the national championship I can assure you that championship was no fluke. As people here are fond of reminding you Tark sued the NCAA and won so apparently he didn't cheat :) You are right however that it probably won't happen again. I hope they find a good coach.



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 3794
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 26th, 2019, 10:53 am

That championship UNLV team was damn good and definitely deserved their championship. BYU on the other hand? Debatable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk



Formerly TulsAGGIE

bluegrouse
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 189 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by bluegrouse » March 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm

No comparison between UNLV’s championship and BYU’s. UNLV’s was no fluke. Many people consider that team to be the best college b-ball team ever assembled. BYU football, not so much...



TrueAG
Posts: 959
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by TrueAG » March 26th, 2019, 12:52 pm

That UNLV team was amazing. Loved them as a kid.



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2262
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by OKAggie » March 26th, 2019, 1:33 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 10:28 am
OKAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 9:15 am
UNLV fans are like BYU fans -- remembering that fluke national championship from the '80s and expecting it to surely happen again. But you can't cheat your way to a title like Tark did any more. And now that Vegas will have the Knights and the Raiders to occupy the attention of real sports fans from September to April, the Rebels become a distant third option.
Living in Vegas at the time of the national championship I can assure you that championship was no fluke. As people here are fond of reminding you Tark sued the NCAA and won so apparently he didn't cheat :) You are right however that it probably won't happen again. I hope they find a good coach.
Your smiley emoji suggests you get the joke. Tark v. NCAA had nothing to do with whether he cheated in recruiting, only whether the NCAA's procedures violated his due process. He won his civil suit and received damages.

No doubt that UNLV team was phenomenally talented. Also little doubt that they were paid handsomely -- allowing a Big West team to compile such a roster which was the fluke, not their performance on the court. But those days are long gone, and UNLV will never return to that level of national prominence, which was my point.


Nobody here knows anything.

FormerlyVegasAggie71
Posts: 206
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » March 26th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Looks like UNLV might take a page out of the USU playbook and look to the state of South Dakota for their next coach:




FormerlyVegasAggie71
Posts: 206
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » March 27th, 2019, 10:25 am

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Looks like UNLV might take a page out of the USU playbook and look to the state of South Dakota for their next coach:

This is now being reported as official. Wonder how UNLV fans feel?



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4903
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Looks like UNLV might take a page out of the USU playbook and look to the state of South Dakota for their next coach:

UNLV fans that have been vocal on radio call-in shows and also the last few Rebel season ticket holders I personally know are livid that they are even considering TJ Otzelberger. Of course they think they are worthy of a "big name" coach since they are willing to throw around cash to get one. Nearly every one of them also think that if the new coach ends up being some guy from a small school that no one has heard of that the few remaining season ticket holders will bail. It's all about image down here, no time to "rebuild" - not only do they want an established big name coach, they want immediate results on the court too.

Hilarious.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 189 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by bluegrouse » March 27th, 2019, 10:31 am




User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4903
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2019, 10:32 am




User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4903
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am

I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6681
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1117 times
Been liked: 552 times
Contact:

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by aggies22 » March 27th, 2019, 10:45 am

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:25 am
FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Looks like UNLV might take a page out of the USU playbook and look to the state of South Dakota for their next coach:

This is now being reported as official. Wonder how UNLV fans feel?
I wonder how Thad Matta feels?



SLB
Posts: 773
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2019, 1:16 pm

This screams let's copy Utah State since it works for them.



User avatar
GeorgiaAggie
Posts: 788
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:29 pm
Location: Carrollton, GA
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm

SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:16 pm
This screams let's copy Utah State since it works for them.
I was thinking the same thing.



SLB
Posts: 773
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.
I do like MWC getting better. We need the conference to be better.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 274
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2019, 1:30 pm

SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.
I do like MWC getting better. We need the conference to be better.
Oh my goodness! Is SLB Craig Smith???



SLB
Posts: 773
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:30 pm
SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.
I do like MWC getting better. We need the conference to be better.
Oh my goodness! Is SLB Craig Smith???
On this board, I have become everyone.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 4974
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 82 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Imakeitrain » March 27th, 2019, 1:47 pm

SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:30 pm
SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.
I do like MWC getting better. We need the conference to be better.
Oh my goodness! Is SLB Craig Smith???
On this board, I have become everyone.
But are you groot?


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

SLB
Posts: 773
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:47 pm
SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:30 pm
SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I wonder how Craig Smith feels about this? Looks like the South Dakota vs South Dakota St. rivalry just took on a new form.
I do like MWC getting better. We need the conference to be better.
Oh my goodness! Is SLB Craig Smith???
On this board, I have become everyone.
But are you groot?
We are groot. :lol:



User avatar
AggiesForever
2015 Kickoff Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by AggiesForever » March 27th, 2019, 5:53 pm

UNLV will freak out when he starts bringing in those Summit League recruits . . . .



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 274
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2019, 6:02 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 5:53 pm
UNLV will freak out when he starts bringing in those Summit League recruits . . . .
Well they probably should hold of judgement for a year. Then they will see that all the summit league recruits either transferred or did not get meaningful minutes, and were passed by walk-ons.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2534
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 224 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by ChicAggie » April 4th, 2019, 9:25 am

I love that this board attracts such a diverse range of English-as-a-second-language posters.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5786
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by USU78 » April 4th, 2019, 9:34 am

ChicAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
I love that this board attracts such a diverse range of English-as-a-second-language posters.
In these days of listening cell phones and twerky spell-check programs and passive-aggressive word choice add-ons, just what is the point of spelling and grammar slams?


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Aggie in Boise
Posts: 95
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Meanwhile....down south

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 4th, 2019, 9:38 am

ChicAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
I love that this board attracts such a diverse range of English-as-a-second-language posters.
Whut our you tocking bout? im quit sure evrywon on this hear bored speeks inglush realy dam gooder then uther playces.
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on April 4th, 2019, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked this post from Aggie in Boise:
Aggiefan33



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic