Auburn

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dogie

Auburn

Post by dogie » April 6th, 2019, 6:21 pm

I wanted to beat GFA to this board and be the first one to say that the Auburn basketball team now knows how the USU football team felt.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
sneed

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Auburn

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 6th, 2019, 6:58 pm

dogie wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 6:21 pm
I wanted to beat GFA to this board and be the first one to say that the Auburn basketball team now knows how the USU football team felt.
Serves them right. Auburn runs a dirty program under a slime ball coach. I like upsets but wasn’t rooting for this one.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 6th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Always good to see bruce pearl go down.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 6th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 7:07 pm
Always good to see bruce pearl go down.
Dude has left more violations in his wake than Calipari and that’s saying something.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 6th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Yep, his character at tennessee isnt worth supporting just because he hops to another sec school.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » April 7th, 2019, 12:15 am

What did he do in the past? I still feel that’s a no call at the end of a game. The NCAA just has to have a number 1 seed make it or the committee looks stupid! Did I like the ref making the call out of bounds and then coming back in for Colorado State, thus giving victory to USU? Of course we deserve good vibes for a change! Basketball refs say 9 out of 10 times, that they swallow their whistle, this ref was for Virginia. Happens every year. Butler, Gonzaga, and so on!
I was cheering for Auburn. I don’t care what Pearl did in the past. I wanted Sir Charles to have his school in the finals

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 7th, 2019, 6:04 am

troutputz wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 12:15 am
What did he do in the past? I still feel that’s a no call at the end of a game. The NCAA just has to have a number 1 seed make it or the committee looks stupid! Did I like the ref making the call out of bounds and then coming back in for Colorado State, thus giving victory to USU? Of course we deserve good vibes for a change! Basketball refs say 9 out of 10 times, that they swallow their whistle, this ref was for Virginia. Happens every year. Butler, Gonzaga, and so on!
I was cheering for Auburn. I don’t care what Pearl did in the past. I wanted Sir Charles to have his school in the finals
He’s had recruiting violations in his program and been put on probation at Wisconsin-Green Bay, Tennessee (twice), and now at Auburn (two separate times). Was involved in a shady recruiting scandal while working as the lead recruiter for Iowa prior to head coaching. It’s not even smoke anymore with Pearl, where there’s fire there’s fire.

As for the foul, this wasn’t like the end of the Tennessee v Purdue game. The shooter wasn’t flailing his legs trying to draw a foul. The shooter was undercut mid shot. If you let that contact go on a consistent basis you’re going to have a lot of injuries because there’s nowhere for the offensive player to even come down safely 90% of the time. (Think of the Zaza foul that injured Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs 2 years ago).
Now if you want to have a beef about the no call on the double dribble just before this debated foul call then you got more ammo.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 7th, 2019, 7:22 am

If that was a foul that we are going to see being called all the time them fine. But we've gotta start calling offensive fouls when shooters kick their legs out like Martin does. Was that the right call? Technically yes, but it was very soft.

On the double dribble, that gets missed 90+ percent of the time. I bet a huge portion of acid college fans couldn't have clearly articulated the rule before the Patti app for them to be angry now just doesn't resonate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 7th, 2019, 11:19 am

dyedblue wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 7:22 am
If that was a foul that we are going to see being called all the time them fine. But we've gotta start calling offensive fouls when shooters kick their legs out like Martin does. Was that the right call? Technically yes, but it was very soft.

On the double dribble, that gets missed 90+ percent of the time. I bet a huge portion of acid college fans couldn't have clearly articulated the rule before the Patti app for them to be angry now just doesn't resonate.

I agree the leg kick should be an offensive foul.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 7th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Leg kick should be an offensive foul...and that call against Auburn was the right call that had to he made. Dangerous play. Not a soft call in any way anytime you undercut someone.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » April 7th, 2019, 3:09 pm

This call is why we are having a hard time getting officials out to officiate for high school. Guy makes the right call and most of the media and know it alls on twitter roast him. Officiating is a lot easier to do on the sideline, in the stands or at home.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 7th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Basketball is by far the most difficult sport to officiate. Split second decisions, 100% attention to detail, upsetting 50% of the participants on almost every judgement call, and the intimacy/proximity of the fans, coaches, players. These guys work hard for their money, and get compensated well for it. Below the NCAA level, not sure why anyone would do it.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 7th, 2019, 7:55 pm

cornia27 wrote:This call is why we are having a hard time getting officials out to officiate for high school. Guy makes the right call and most of the media and know it alls on twitter roast him. Officiating is a lot easier to do on the sideline, in the stands or at home.
It has way more to do with a holes in the stands than the twitterverse. I got after several parents/grandparents for chirping officials in THIRD GRADE HOOPS this year. Coach want to say something fine, but parents teenagers trying to figure out how to ref developmental leagues is not beneficial to anyone, even the parents precious ego.

Hail Aggies!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 7th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I coach and ref youth leagues and it isn't easy at all. Parents are by far the worst, but refs make it more difficult at times. We were playing for the championship this year and had the better team. One ref tried to even the game out so it would be competitive. It was awful. My three best players each had three fouls at halftime and we could do little without a whistle. Our parents were sarcastically cheering on the rare occasion the other team got called for something. It clearly bothered the ref and exacerbated the problem. I called a timeout and went and told the parents to can it because they weren't helping. When I got back to my bench the ref thanked me and said that was the first time he'd ever had a coach do that.

I told him it was his turn now to do his part by calling a fair game. He was stunned. I told him I had my mouth shut out of respect for the game and trying to set a good example for my players, but everyone in the gym knows you're screwing us. He ended up calling the rest of the game fairly and afterwards thanked me for setting him straight.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » April 7th, 2019, 9:31 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:34 pm
I coach and ref youth leagues and it isn't easy at all. Parents are by far the worst, but refs make it more difficult at times. We were playing for the championship this year and had the better team. One ref tried to even the game out so it would be competitive. It was awful. My three best players each had three fouls at halftime and we could do little without a whistle. Our parents were sarcastically cheering on the rare occasion the other team got called for something. It clearly bothered the ref and exacerbated the problem. I called a timeout and went and told the parents to can it because they weren't helping. When I got back to my bench the ref thanked me and said that was the first time he'd ever had a coach do that.

I told him it was his turn now to do his part by calling a fair game. He was stunned. I told him I had my mouth shut out of respect for the game and trying to set a good example for my players, but everyone in the gym knows you're screwing us. He ended up calling the rest of the game fairly and afterwards thanked me for setting him straight.

I finished up my 9th year of football and my 2nd year of basketball. I love being an official. This year I had to throw out 2 parents out one in 3rd grade junior junior jazz and 6th grade girls basketball AAU tournament. I have no problem getting yelled at or booed comes with the territory but if fans or coaches get personal or swear at me I draw the line. Kudos to you for setting the guy straight but doing in a respectful way that nobody noticed and also kudos to the official for pulling his head out and doing the job right.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 8th, 2019, 9:15 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Basketball is by far the most difficult sport to officiate. Split second decisions, 100% attention to detail, upsetting 50% of the participants on almost every judgement call, and the intimacy/proximity of the fans, coaches, players. These guys work hard for their money, and get compensated well for it. Below the NCAA level, not sure why anyone would do it.
All the more difficult when so many of the rules are subjective and stupid. I hate many of the rules in basketball. I love the general idea of basketball and love the skill it takes, but many of the rules ruin it for me. Every time an offensive player initiates contact with a defender and they call the foul on the defender, I want to walk out/turn off and stop wasting my time.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 8th, 2019, 9:55 am

I didn't watch the plays until just recently. The double dribble was obvious. I was shocked that the announcers didn't say anything. I guess it is just me. I also don't mind the foul call. I've had people do that to me in the past, and I get pissed. It is a good way to ruin a guys career.

When I saw this match up, I immediately said I couldn't cheer for a Bruce Pearl team. I can't believe that he still gets to coach.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2019, 10:11 am

brownjeans wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 5:42 pm
All the more difficult when so many of the rules are subjective and stupid. I hate many of the rules in basketball. I love the general idea of basketball and love the skill it takes, but many of the rules ruin it for me. Every time an offensive player initiates contact with a defender and they call the foul on the defender, I want to walk out/turn off and stop wasting my time.
Spot on. I don’t watch much basketball for the same reason. The rules ruin the game.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 8th, 2019, 1:20 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 9:15 am
Every time an offensive player initiates contact with a defender and they call the foul on the defender, I want to walk out/turn off and stop wasting my time.
Agreed. I remember one time in city league (generally not the highest quality refs) I was backpedaling and the offensive player charged straight into me. The ref called it on me. When I questioned the call he said I was moving. I’m not sure if he saw something different than I did or if he really thought that if the defensive player is moving (regardless of direction) and there is contact, it’s a foul on the defender. Kind of like faking someone in the air and then jumping into them (even if they jumped straight up) and it gets called on the defense. Just as bad as flopping IMO.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm

NVAggie wrote:I didn't watch the plays until just recently. The double dribble was obvious. I was shocked that the announcers didn't say anything. I guess it is just me. I also don't mind the foul call. I've had people do that to me in the past, and I get pissed. It is a good way to ruin a guys career.

When I saw this match up, I immediately said I couldn't cheer for a Bruce Pearl team. I can't believe that he still gets to coach.
It was obvious watching a replay of it, real time live not so much. Didn’t hear anything about it until post game highlights.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic