Playing off SLB: will record beget a good home OOC?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionFaggie

Playing off SLB: will record beget a good home OOC?

Post by SectionFaggie » April 9th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Will the 2018-19 campaign give us a better shot or a worse shot at getting a few good teams to do home-and-homes with us and get one or two new marquee games in Logan next fall? I would think the chance for good TV, and a Q1 win on the road might be good draws for some Q1 and Q2 teams to venture to DGS.

ThunderAggie

Re: Playing off SLB: will record beget a good home OOC?

Post by ThunderAggie » April 9th, 2019, 9:09 pm

I would like to see a Pac 12 game at the Spectrum. Any P5 games would be awesome, but preferably a Q1 or Q2. I would love a rematch vs Washington!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 10th, 2019, 8:54 am

I can not see why a large school would want to travel to Logan for a game. We do not have a commercial airport, we are very hard to beat in Logan. Sad but that is where we are at.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Or in FB, or in...

A one hr 45 min drive from SLC International is not terrible. Hell it probably takes UCLA that long to get the team from Campus to the Rose Bowl during FB season!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 10th, 2019, 9:20 am

ViAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:06 am
Or in FB, or in...

A one hr 45 min drive from SLC International is not terrible. Hell it probably takes UCLA that long to get the team from Campus to the Rose Bowl during FB season!
The Utes will not travel to Logan, Pac-12 school do not like the chance of losing to a school from little old Logan, which would happen if they were to dare to travel.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 10th, 2019, 9:25 am

oleblu111 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:54 am
I can not see why a large school would want to travel to Logan for a game. We do not have a commercial airport, we are very hard to beat in Logan. Sad but that is where we are at.
Why would a P5 team want to do home and home with Nevada? Nevada beat the crap out of Utah in SLC this year, and the Utes still have a return game in Nevada this coming season. They new Nevada would be highly ranked when they signed the deal, and had to realize the game this past season would likely be a loss, but guess what, they still did it.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 10th, 2019, 9:30 am

ususports wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:25 am
oleblu111 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:54 am
Why would a P5 team want to do home and home with Nevada? Nevada beat the crap out of Utah in SLC this year, and the Utes still have a return game in Nevada this coming season. They new Nevada would be highly ranked when they signed the deal, and had to realize the game this past season would likely be a loss, but guess what, they still did it.
You might need to ask the Utes why they did what they did. You know as well as I do why the cowards will not play in Logan.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » April 12th, 2019, 11:31 am

ViAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:06 am
Or in FB, or in...

One hour 45 from the airport?! Are you driving a Model-T? Google Maps typically shows between 1:20 and 1:25, depending on the time of day, between the airport and Logan. Last time I flew into SLC, it took me 73 minutes to reach my parents house, which is one block from the Logan temple. In fact most times of the day, the drive from SLC airport to Logan is only about 20 minutes longer than the drive from SLC airport to Provo. It is a generational myth that Logan is significantly farther away from SLC than Provo is, stemming from the time when 89 was a two lane road through the canyon. That road was widened 3 decades ago.

I certainly agree with you about UCLA heading to the Rose Bowl. I regularly get LA layovers, and our hotel is right in downtown LA, near the Staples Center, and it routinely takes us over an hour to get from LAX to the hotel. And we get to use the HOV lanes too.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 12:13 pm

We lost only one game at home last season.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 12th, 2019, 12:51 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:31 am
I certainly agree with you about UCLA heading to the Rose Bowl. I regularly get LA layovers, and our hotel is right in downtown LA, near the Staples Center, and it routinely takes us over an hour to get from LAX to the hotel. And we get to use the HOV lanes too.
I lived in LA for a couple of years, was there about once a month for work for several years, and just spent Spring Break there with my son so we could attend the Sweet Sixteen in Anaheim. From UCLA's campus to the Rose Bowl can easily take 45 minutes or longer. Even more importantly, for a visiting team to get from LAX to the Rose Bowl can be well over an hour with traffic.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 12th, 2019, 1:00 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:51 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
I lived in LA for a couple of years, was there about once a month for work for several years, and just spent Spring Break there with my son so we could attend the Sweet Sixteen in Anaheim. From UCLA's campus to the Rose Bowl can easily take 45 minutes or longer. Even more importantly, for a visiting team to get from LAX to the Rose Bowl can be well over an hour with traffic.
Football is a whole different thing than basketball as far as travel goes, almost all football teams charter even into Logan. The problem for basketball is weather and airport distance, but most important is the fear of losing a game to USU.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » April 13th, 2019, 7:01 am

oleblu111 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:00 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:51 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
Football is a whole different thing than basketball as far as travel goes, almost all football teams charter even into Logan. The problem for basketball is weather and airport distance, but most important is the fear of losing a game to USU.
But again, this is why I think the reasoning is silly. Nobody claims USC is too hard to get to even though the drive from LAX to the USC campus can routinely take an hour or longer (We drive right past the Galen Center on our way from LAX to our downtown hotel, and it is almost always at least an hour to get to that point). When we have layovers in New York City, the time from JFK airport to our hotel in Manhattan is planned at an hour and 15 minutes. Does anyone claim to avoid playing St. Johns at Madison Square Garden because it takes too long to get there from the airport. When time and effort is considered, there really is not much difference in getting from LAX to USC, or JFK to Madison Square Garden, and SLC and Logan.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 13th, 2019, 7:10 am

Have you ever gone to Auburn? That place is not easy to get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Winkie

Post by Winkie » April 13th, 2019, 7:33 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 7:10 am
Have you ever gone to Auburn? That place is not easy to get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I traveled those 2-1/2 hours from Atlanta to see Chuckie Keaton's coming out at Jordan Hare Stadium. You are correct. Auburn is a "camping trip"......!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 14th, 2019, 10:52 am

I do not think comparing playing a game against USC or Auburn is the same as playing USU in Logan. Schools do not like to travel here in either sport. If travel to SLC is not a issue why has Coach Smith is pushing so hard to get charter flights from Logan

Of coursed the main reason is fear of getting beat in little old Logan..

bpd

Post by bpd » April 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

Traveling to Logan is no big deal if you are a P6 in basketball. They charter no matter what (except UCLA).

I wish our basketball team would charter 4-5 times a year.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
oleblu111

Locked Previous topicNext topic