Jake Toolson

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4841
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aglicious » April 16th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Reading back through the thread I believe I'm the only one that mentioned something close to not wanting him, but to be fair that was when we had one open scholarship to give. I stated I didn't want us to use that lone scholarship on Toolson since I believe we have more pressing needs to be a complete team - namely a game controlling PG. I later stated in this thread that if we had more than one spot open I would be more than happy to have Toolson on board. My example was I would rather have Toolson on the roster than someone like Fakira.

Now that it looks likely that we will have more than one spot to fill, I say go all in on Toolson. It doesn't take away from the fact that we still need a PG and possibly now a big to replace Queta though. If we ever want to make noise in the tourney or go further than we have, then we need top notch PG play. That, along with dominant team defense are what wins in the tourney.

In any case, Queta was the game changer for this team - if he doesn't return then finding a serviceable C is going to be crucial. I can't imagine going with the oft injured Stall at the 5 and Grootfaam at the 4 coming off his own ACL injury, having little to no depth behind them, and expecting to have the kind of success we had this year.



bpd
Posts: 860
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by bpd » April 16th, 2019, 12:39 pm

I agree with you, we need a PG more. As I said in a different thread, the Queta situation puts the coaching staff in a tough place. How do you recruit somebody if you don't know if there will be a scholarship or not. The new rules are friendly to the players, but not so much to the program and staff.
These users liked this post from bpd:
oleblu111



Madmartigan
Posts: 2394
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Madmartigan » April 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Reading back through the thread I believe I'm the only one that mentioned something close to not wanting him, but to be fair that was when we had one open scholarship to give. I stated I didn't want us to use that lone scholarship on Toolson since I believe we have more pressing needs to be a complete team - namely a game controlling PG. I later stated in this thread that if we had more than one spot open I would be more than happy to have Toolson on board. My example was I would rather have Toolson on the roster than someone like Fakira.

Now that it looks likely that we will have more than one spot to fill, I say go all in on Toolson. It doesn't take away from the fact that we still need a PG and possibly now a big to replace Queta though. If we ever want to make noise in the tourney or go further than we have, then we need top notch PG play. That, along with dominant team defense are what wins in the tourney.

In any case, Queta was the game changer for this team - if he doesn't return then finding a serviceable C is going to be crucial. I can't imagine going with the oft injured Stall at the 5 and Grootfaam at the 4 coming off his own ACL injury, having little to no depth behind them, and expecting to have the kind of success we had this year.
They say don't cry over spilled milk, but I'm still crying about McEwen leaving. I'll get over it... in a few months.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4045
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by aceofspadeskb » April 16th, 2019, 1:35 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers passed on Michael Jordan because they needed a center. Just sayin'. :noidea:

I trust this coaching staff to put the best squad together. I'm just excited and anxious to see what that squad will be.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 253
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ThunderAggie » April 16th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Kyle Guy of VA announced today he is going to the NBA Draft and hiring an agent. Opens up more space for guard playing time. I wonder if this will make Toolson more likely to go to VA.



slcagg
Posts: 2812
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by slcagg » April 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm

Toolson to BYU.




User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14810
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 202 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 23rd, 2019, 9:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm
Toolson to BYU.

Has it ever happened that a guy has transferred twice during his college career and never left the same county?
These users liked this post from hipsterdoofus21:
sneed



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1061
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by MrBiggle » April 23rd, 2019, 9:13 pm

Not surprised.


Where only sage brush grows

ThunderAggie
Posts: 253
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ThunderAggie » April 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm
Toolson to BYU.

Has it ever happened that a guy has transferred twice during his college career and never left the same county?
I thought BYU wasn't even one of his choices?



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2046
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2019, 9:34 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm
Toolson to BYU.

Has it ever happened that a guy has transferred twice during his college career and never left the same county?
I thought BYU wasn't even one of his choices?
Boooooooooo. Toolson is dead to me.

It’s not often people make the mistake of choosing BYU twice. Those that do deserve to be openly mocked.
These users liked this post from ineptimusprime:
bigblue



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4841
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aglicious » April 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

Tells me all I need to know about Mr. Toolson.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 253
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ThunderAggie » April 23rd, 2019, 10:21 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm
Tells me all I need to know about Mr. Toolson.
It's in the name...deserves to be on the back of a BYU jersey. :lol:
These users liked this post from ThunderAggie:
bigblue



Jjoey53
Posts: 1183
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Jjoey53 » April 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm

Anyone who is surprised by this does not see the big picture well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14810
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 202 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 23rd, 2019, 11:17 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm
Anyone who is surprised by this does not see the big picture well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He likes to play in front of fat chicks?



TrueAG
Posts: 948
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by TrueAG » April 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm

Maybe he needs a new Jetta or a middle aged man
These users liked this post from TrueAG:
ViAggie



LKGates
Posts: 3144
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 71 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by LKGates » April 23rd, 2019, 11:29 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:17 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm
Anyone who is surprised by this does not see the big picture well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He likes to play in front of fat chicks?
Hey! HEY!!! No fat shaming on this board!








That's my gig.


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2046
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2019, 11:31 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm
Anyone who is surprised by this does not see the big picture well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you saying we should consider an eternal perspective when evaluating our chances on recruits from Utah County?



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 527
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 24th, 2019, 6:19 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm
Toolson to BYU.

Has it ever happened that a guy has transferred twice during his college career and never left the same county?
I thought BYU wasn't even one of his choices?
Didn't you know that BYU was a p5 school? :sarcasm:



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 6968
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by dyedblue » April 24th, 2019, 7:28 am

I don't get that move at all. He's been there and dobe that at BYU AND with so many apparent great offers, why the school that has little shot at a tournament run?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6142
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 307 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2019, 7:29 am

TrueAG wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm
Maybe he needs a new Jetta or a middle aged man
Perhaps Mark Pope IS the middle aged man?



oleblu111
Posts: 954
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by oleblu111 » April 24th, 2019, 7:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:29 am
TrueAG wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm
Maybe he needs a new Jetta or a middle aged man
Perhaps Mark Pope IS the middle aged man?
I still believe that our biggest need is a point guard, that is if the big guy comes back. Toolson would have helped. but not getting him is not that big of a deal imho.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6142
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 307 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2019, 7:41 am

oleblu111 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:29 am
TrueAG wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm
Maybe he needs a new Jetta or a middle aged man
Perhaps Mark Pope IS the middle aged man?
I still believe that our biggest need is a point guard, that is if the big guy comes back. Toolson would have helped. but not getting him is not that big of a deal imho.
While getting a PG seems to be most of our posters primary focus, that does not seem to be the immediate focus of the coaching staff.



oleblu111
Posts: 954
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by oleblu111 » April 24th, 2019, 7:46 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:41 am
oleblu111 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:29 am
TrueAG wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm
Maybe he needs a new Jetta or a middle aged man
Perhaps Mark Pope IS the middle aged man?
I still believe that our biggest need is a point guard, that is if the big guy comes back. Toolson would have helped. but not getting him is not that big of a deal imho.
While getting a PG seems to be most of our posters primary focus, that does not seem to be the immediate focus of the coaching staff.
Hell we know better than them right.
These users liked this post from oleblu111:
flying_scotsman2.0



Torque1440
Posts: 2
Joined: March 29th, 2018, 11:42 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Torque1440 » April 24th, 2019, 8:18 am

Not surprised at all. Looks like his loyalty is only to his coach and not the university. Honestly, talent wise I would have loved to see him at USU but I would rather have someone who wants to be part of the university and culture. Not just loyalty to a coach.



sockpuppet
Posts: 1013
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by sockpuppet » April 24th, 2019, 10:02 am

Nobody should blame him for wanting to help keep his parent's alma mater, and the program that rejected him once before, in the fight for that 3rd seed in the West Coast Conference.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2394
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Madmartigan » April 24th, 2019, 10:35 am

sockpuppet wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 10:02 am
Nobody should blame him for wanting to help keep his parent's alma mater, and the program that rejected him once before, in the fight for that 3rd seed in the West Coast Conference.
I'm a little burned BYU has beaten us six years in a row.



blueaggie
Posts: 755
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by blueaggie » April 24th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Now that we have their number in football we need to move to the same level in basketball and beat BYU every year!! :utah: :state:



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by brownjeans » April 24th, 2019, 12:15 pm

I see how you are, Jake, son of Tool
These users liked this post from brownjeans:
oleblu111



utaggies
Posts: 2887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by utaggies » April 24th, 2019, 1:01 pm

blueaggie wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Now that we have their number in football we need to move to the same level in basketball and beat BYU every year!! :utah: :state:
Let’s start by beating them in Logan and on neutral courts. We can then work our way up to “every year.”
These users liked this post from utaggies:
oleblu111



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1820
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Pretty predictable he was gonna just go play for a coach at a university he wanted to play at originally for a coach he won conference player of the year under. I'm no byu fan, but it will be funny to see him be better than Emery and Haws when they were supposed to be much better than him.
These users liked this post from Aggie formerly in Hawaii:
NVAggie



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic