Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Queta

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2019, 9:39 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 8:44 am
You can come back if you aren't drafted in either round. But you can't pull out AFTER the first round and before the second. So he either has to pull out before the draft altogether, or remain available for the second if he isn't picked in the first.
Yeah you don’t want to be like Brandon Davies and pull out too late.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
TurtleFromLItoLoganStanfordAggie

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 13th, 2019, 11:00 am

If he has a good agent the agent does not want him in Europe. European contracts and the teams are a nightmare to deal with. It also doesn't help their profile to have guys in Europe. A good agent will understand he will make a lot more waiting a year then a short small payoff somewhere in Europe.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 13th, 2019, 11:08 am

Staying in and getting picked in the 2nd round would be worst case scenario for us and him. No guaranteed contract, and he loses all college eligibility.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 13th, 2019, 11:36 am

The impression I get is he’s only coming back if he goes undrafted. I doubt we’ll see him pull out in May.

usu99

Post by usu99 » April 13th, 2019, 11:41 am

He will get drafted late 2nd round. I'm calling it now and be totally screwed as he is not ready for the NBA. He looked very average against every decent big we played.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm

usu99 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 11:41 am
He will get drafted late 2nd round. I'm calling it now and be totally screwed as he is not ready for the NBA. He looked very average against every decent big we played.
I think Queta will be a solid NBA player -- in 4-5 years -- but totally agree that Queta getting drafted in the 2nd round seems like both the worst-case and likely scenario at this point. Given the language in his tweet, it seems that three things are likely: (i) he is going to stick with the process all the way through the draft; (ii) barring a fantastic showing in workouts and combines, Queta will not get drafted in the first round, particularly given that he disappeared against several of our better opponents this season; and (iii) given Queta's unique physical gifts and abilities, he is not going to slip all the way through the 2nd round undrafted despite the fact that he does not appear at all on many current mock drafts.

While I truly believed Queta was the best NBA prospect the Aggies have had since Nate Williams from virtually the first game I saw him play, I also did not believe he was quite ready for the NBA and did not realistically anticipate he would be counseled to stick through the NBA draft process this year. I thought with another year of seasoning and more national exposure, he could potentially climb up into the lottery where his earning potential would be MUCH higher. If he goes in the second round, he does not get a guaranteed contract and could find himself in limbo -- as many players before him whose heads have been filled with visions of grandeur by unscrupulous agents.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
Intermeddleraggies22

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » April 13th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Has there been a Portuguese player in NBA before? I agree staying in and going in 2nd round is not a great decision (if that happens) but being the first Portuguese player to make league may be a motivation?

scotlandog

Queta

Post by scotlandog » April 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:Has there been a Portuguese player in NBA before? I agree staying in and going in 2nd round is not a great decision (if that happens) but being the first Portuguese player to make league may be a motivation?
There’s been lots of Portuguese players in the NBA. It’s not that rare.

EDIT: I looked at that wrong. He might be. I’ll have to look deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 1:32 pm
Has there been a Portuguese player in NBA before?
I think Queta would be the first. Brito will be the second. ;)
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
donlarson8

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm
usu99 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 11:41 am
I think Queta will be a solid NBA player -- in 4-5 years -- but totally agree that Queta getting drafted in the 2nd round seems like both the worst-case and likely scenario at this point. Given the language in his tweet, it seems that three things are likely: (i) he is going to stick with the process all the way through the draft; (ii) barring a fantastic showing in workouts and combines, Queta will not get drafted in the first round, particularly given that he disappeared against several of our better opponents this season; and (iii) given Queta's unique physical gifts and abilities, he is not going to slip all the way through the 2nd round undrafted despite the fact that he does not appear at all on many current mock drafts.

While I truly believed Queta was the best NBA prospect the Aggies have had since Nate Williams from virtually the first game I saw him play, I also did not believe he was quite ready for the NBA and did not realistically anticipate he would be counseled to stick through the NBA draft process this year. I thought with another year of seasoning and more national exposure, he could potentially climb up into the lottery where his earning potential would be MUCH higher. If he goes in the second round, he does not get a guaranteed contract and could find himself in limbo -- as many players before him whose heads have been filled with visions of grandeur by unscrupulous agents.
+1

usu99

Post by usu99 » April 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm

He is not even in the top 100 prospects for the draft on ESPN... If he stays in the draft I don't think this will work out well for him.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm

He definitely has an NBA body and physical tools, but he isn't ready. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Winkie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » April 13th, 2019, 3:21 pm

He would be the first Portuguese player in the NBA

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 13th, 2019, 4:53 pm

My concern for him is also the same as many, that he may go mid to late 2nd round and wind up making very little money in the D leagues before getting dumped to Europe. One more year in college is his best bet at first round and guaranteed NBA money. He has Capela potential but would get eaten alive in the next year and see his star darkened before it has a chance to shine. Either way though, he'll make great money in Europe if that's where he ends up.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post:
Winkie

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 13th, 2019, 6:59 pm

He would be nuts to go all the way with this. He would be a late 2nd round puck at best. If he stays and improves, he could be a lottery pick and make big bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
Winkie

Winkie

Post by Winkie » April 13th, 2019, 7:22 pm

I felt his showing in the NCAA Tournament game exposed he still has work required on his game. Even as a freshman with lots of excitement for his athleticism and instincts, he was still somewhat "raw" as an Aggie. That will be seen by scouts. Needs more strength, upper body, hands & arms (how many times did the Husky defenders slap balls out of his hands?). Yes, he can get that coaching and improvement from a pro staff. But, such is his condition now, and will require an NBA team to make that development commitment. Assuming they see "more seasoning" required, I would expect the outcome of his workouts and run-up to the draft will show the wisdom in returning to USU for at least another season.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 13th, 2019, 8:24 pm

The intention is always going to be to stay in the draft. But Queta isn’t good enough right now. He was god awful at the dance.
He needs to be quicker. There is a lot he needs to improve.

But you can’t fault him for trying-

But the scouts aren’t likely to be sold on him just yet.

So unless he is cool with going to the D-League (which is a possibility) it’s likely a decision to be made for him- even if his intention is fully to make the nba.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » April 13th, 2019, 10:13 pm

I hate to see this, but I wish him well. He was a huge part of a great season. I have no idea if he's ready or not for the NBA, but he obviously want's to try more than he wants to play next season at USU. He must be getting feedback from someone with much more knowledge of his potential than I have.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Where did Gobert's game stand when he was drafted? He was so raw he barely played. Just saying.

Let's let Queta chase HIS dream and do what is best for him. He'll know soon enough where he stands.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 13th, 2019, 10:42 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Where did Gobert's game stand when he was drafted? He was so raw he barely played. Just saying.

Let's let Queta chase HIS dream and do what is best for him. He'll know soon enough where he stands.

Gobert is 7'1" with a 7'9" wingspan. Queta is 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan. Their athleticism could be argued as similar. I want Queta to be as successful as possible in the NBA, but I don't think this is a good move for him personally... we'll see! Hopefully he makes it and does great.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » April 13th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:He will be the first Portuguese player in the NBA

Fify

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 13th, 2019, 11:05 pm

It's been a long time since the NBA draft was about players who were good enough "right now". With the exception of maybe two special players each year, the NBA draft is about potential.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
Pacobagoleblu111TrueBlue

dogie

Post by dogie » April 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 11:05 pm
It's been a long time since the NBA draft was about players who were good enough "right now". With the exception of maybe two special players each year, the NBA draft is about potential.
JaVale McGee comes to mind as a good example.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » April 14th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Good luck to Queta. This surprises me a bit as Queta is still quite raw, but if I had a snowball's chance in hell of making it in the first round, I'd immediately do the same.

I'm willing to bet that Queta is back in Logan in an Aggie uniform next year. Any takers?

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 14th, 2019, 4:19 pm

918AGG wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Good luck to Queta. This surprises me a bit as Queta is still quite raw, but if I had a snowball's chance in hell of making it in the first round, I'd immediately do the same.

I'm willing to bet that Queta is back in Logan in an Aggie uniform next year. Any takers?
If you're right, I'll remind your cousin AgMac you were right!

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 15th, 2019, 7:39 am

Him testing the waters is a smart move on his part and should be encouraged. Now if he gets feed back that he is mid to late 2nd round at best then he should come back to school. With another year he could play himself into the first round. Whatever he decides it's his decision and hope it works out well.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
oleblu111

aggieref

Post by aggieref » April 15th, 2019, 9:16 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... -Done-Rule

With the "one-and-done" rule ending, this might have an affect on when players decide to enter the draft. The 2022 draft will likely be stacked, with quality players being drafted lower. This means some players might try to avoid it by declaring earlier.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 15th, 2019, 9:39 am

I'm surprised this took so long to make it here, this was a couple of days old before someone posted here. Odd?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bpd

Post by bpd » April 15th, 2019, 10:31 am

This effects the 2022 draft, not the 2019 draft or even the 2020 draft. First draft it effects is 2021.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 15th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Nba draft net is saying Queta is likely undrafted.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019-nba-draft ... entry-page

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Well the more players that declare the bigger chance Queta stays. DeAndre Hunter from Virginia just declared. Culver from Texas Tech needs to do the same. Selfish of me to think this way.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 15th, 2019, 7:50 pm

bpd wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 10:31 am
This effects the 2022 draft, not the 2019 draft or even the 2020 draft. First draft it effects is 2021.
It would affect the 2021 draft obviously because players will have the incentive to leave early to avoid the competition in 2022 with the high school seniors.

But, that will have the effect of making the 2021 draft more crowded than usual. As a result, some players will be motivated to come out early in 2020 to avoid the crowd in 2021. Same thing in 2019.

The effect on 2019 will be small, but it could be non-negligible.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » April 16th, 2019, 3:17 am

Dad-gum-it!
The best center we’ve had since my cuz Greg Grant!
So, who will be center for us this fall?
Centers that I watched and thought were very good were, Troy Collier,(Queta reminded me of Collier). Larry Bunce yeah I know but he was A 7 footer, a 7’1’ in fact, centers that were not all stars but played really well in the team concept was Alan Parish, Tim Tollstrup, Shawn Daniels. Others, Ed Gregg, Mike Santos, Greg Housekeeper finally could catch the ball his senior year. Remember Lafayette Love, and then latter Leo Cunningham both projects. I remember a center that was just 6’6 but he could jump- in Jesse Jefferson. Us kids would try to be like him by flaying both legs out to the side at the same time we jumped. Can’t forget Walter Bee’s either, another player that had trouble catching the Ball. Just a note to all of youse, I a man just remembering these by memory so forgive me when I am sure I will leave some off. Youse can fill those in that I can’t remember. Dean Hunger, he really was a forward but played center for us. Gilbert Peete, Nate Harris, Gary Wilkensen, Tai Wesley, Carlito DeSilva, Dimitri Jorrssen, one that my dad talked about all the time was Darnell Haney. Only problem with Haney according to my Pop was that you had to bail him out of jail a lot of Monday’s! Nate Wickhiser, I mentioned my cousin Greg Grant at just 6’7. Gregg had the Grant long arms, that is why he lead in steals! My wife calls me monkey arms when I make fun of her short ones! Who could forget the traitor Gary Furniss. Played freshman year, went on mission, was made to feel guilty on his mish, so when he came home he went to BYU. By the by, did you know that my cuz Gregg Grant never lost to BYU in his four years we played them. Plus, we played them two times a year back then. He single handily won 3 games for us by his play! My favorite was BYU in the Spectrum we are down by a point with 8 seconds left and BYU has the ball. Tuellar calls time out sets our defense but Greg said no, I can still the ball from Avereon Parrish, he always turns to his right when he gets the ball! Sure enough, they pass the ball in to Parrish and Greg Grant with his big hands took it right away from him, down at our end of the basket, Greg goes in for a slam, game over, we win by 1.......I know I have forgotten several so you guys can fill in the blanks. I can’t remember the centers we had during Kendall Youngblood time. I had just graduated and got my carrer teaching, going so I missed a couple of years during that time. Can you imagine if Youngblood would have had Stew, or Coach Smith as his coach instead of Kohn? Hell, even Tuellar would have been better than Kohn! I always felt that Kendall never played to his potential! Just like some of the players that played under TD!

Why do we periodically make Bonner’s of hiring basketball coaches. These are the ones in my lifetime. T.L. Plain instead of Dale Brown. T.L stood for too late! Yanked after two years. Everyone wanted Kohn cause he had been assistant under the great Bobby Knight. That hire was a Bonner because Kohn only head coaching was at West Side high School in Dayton, Idaho. That is how he coached was high school like! Finally TD. A huge mistake, everyone knew it to, but went along because of Stew.

Had two bad teeth pulled today , slept earlier as I was bushed from the ordeal, but has kept me awake all night. Sorry for going on and on!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
crazywookie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 16th, 2019, 9:36 am

Queta needs to play the game faster and stronger for the NBA. He has a ton of raw goods.

I just didn't like how slow he'd go up (and get swatted), how little control he had down low (where he might lose the ball). This was especially shown during our game against Washington. Yes, Washington was a bad matchup, but only a handful of those guys will sniff the NBA. Thybulle wasn't even the main person guarding him and was more focused on Merrill.

I wouldn't want Queta on the Jazz at this point. But a team that really needed some interior defense, might gain a solid player out of it. So maybe a team like Washington, Atlanta, Phoenix or Cleveland would be willing to take a chance on him... but, ultimately I think he is a defensive specialist in the NBA..

Even then, he needs to have more control on defense, he takes a ton of bad fouls right now- and wouldn't last long with Harden and LeBron driving right at him and flopping. Then with his current emotional control he could easily be liable to get frustrated then T'd up a ton.

I'm no scout- so as a fan, if he were on the Jazz I'd be very concerned every time he is out on the court.

I think another year or so of college could help him gain both physical and emotional control. If he can do that (control) I could at least see him having a long career as an NBA defensive specialist type player. There are just too many players right now that have that control and are also excellent basketball players that if it were MY team I wouldn't want Queta right now.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 16th, 2019, 10:48 am

Queta won't get called for 90 percent of the garbage that is a foul in college. The NBA actually encourages physicality in the post.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic